Mass College Admission Cheating Scandal

Js1

3 hours ago, cmontexas said:

FBI is all about optics. They've taken their share of Ls in the public eye recently so this a nice story we can all enjoy about them busting rich assholes.

Rather this than burning down buildings full of children

Its also that time of year for the IRS.  Every March there's always a few timely busts or articles written to try and reign in the masses, psychologically, from  their tax boldness.  

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Which is a MUCH smarter path to success than bribing your way into USC so you can party. She should have just told her vacuous twit daughters “you’re hot. Marry a rich dude. Success.”

From what I’ve seen of the quoted pleadings, and admittedly I’ve not seen much,  it appears her rich husband was more of the instigator.  

Will read the allegations manana.  

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Are you kidding?  If it's a women's sport, they are maxing their scholarships.  Texas basically balances Title IX by giving out something like 40 women's rowing scholarships.  I had a girl in my class one year at UT who was on the rowing team.  She told me she was on a full athletic scholarship, and she had never been on a rowing team in high school.  

UT has always offered full rides to women who have never rowed. I remember want ads being placed the very first year of the team, and I saw a sign on the West Mall in June of 2017 offering the same thing. Women’s rowing offers more scholarships than any sport other than football. It’s a Title IX scam. 

6 hours ago, Sandman said:

Not to mention that some of the smaller sports don't even get full schollys for each kid. Wrestling, for example, only gets 9.9 scholarships to divide amongst the whole team. Pretty sure baseball is similar.

Here is a listing. Equivalency scholarships can range anywhere from books only to a full scholarship, although most athletes receive between a quarter and a half scholarship.

http://www.speeddevelopment.net/NCAA_College_Scholarship_Rules_and_Limits_-_CollegeAthletes.com.pdf

What a way to ruin your career and tarnish your family’s name. Center’s kids are in HS here in Austin. 

Feel bad for them as I’m sure they had no idea until 6am Tuesday when the knock on the door came.

”Dad, who is at the door this early?”

3 hours ago, Tailgate said:

What a way to ruin your career and tarnish your family’s name. Center’s kids are in HS here in Austin. 

Feel bad for them as I’m sure they had no idea until 6am Tuesday when the knock on the door came.

”Dad, who is at the door this early?”

Probably a relief when the fbi are arresting your dad for admission bribes as opposed to sex crimes.  Your initial worry is that your dad is Larry nasser 2.

I will give the fbi credit for taking a seemingly odd case like SAT test and admission fraud, and pulling in 2 Hollywood names along with some ceos. 

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Which is a MUCH smarter path to success than bribing your way into USC so you can party. She should have just told her vacuous twit daughters “you’re hot. Marry a rich dude. Success.”

Parents probably had this in mind. Knew her ending up at Southeastern Northern California Technical School wouldn't have many prospective rich frat guys so getting her into USC for an Mrs degree via partying with the rich dudes was her best shot at "success". 

24 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Parents probably had this in mind. Knew her ending up at Southeastern Northern California Technical School wouldn't have many prospective rich frat guys so getting her into USC for an Mrs degree via partying with the rich dudes was her best shot at "success". 

They don't need to marry rich, because mommy and daddy are already rich. That's what pisses me off the most about the whole deal. Aunt Becky's daughters are bullshit Instagram "influencers" or whatever. You don't need to go to USC for that. These kids couldn't get into top schools on their own, so it's not like they're going to show up and work their asses off studying nuclear physics. The entire idea of going to an elite college is just another bullshit status symbol for these rich fucks.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

That's why she wanted her at USC.  That's where the rich dudes are.

You can marry in one day what it takes a lifetime to earn,

9 hours ago, Sbbruin said:
088a0307-6190-4ba2-954b-53d8c8f15d89.jpg

To the Campus Community:

Earlier today, I was shocked and angered to learn that dozens of individuals have been charged by the U.S. Department of Justice with paying or accepting bribes in exchange for admission to several top American universities, including UCLA.

UCLA’s men’s soccer head coach, Jorge Salcedo, was named in the indictment and immediately placed on leave pending a review by the university. An employee of Geffen Academy was also named in the indictment, but not in connection with her duties at UCLA, and similarly placed on leave.

Today’s indictment makes clear that UCLA, like the other universities, was the victim of an alleged crime. The indictment also asserts that the individuals accused of these crimes worked to conceal their actions from UCLA and the other universities. We will fully cooperate with federal authorities as this case moves forward. We will also perform a detailed internal review to ensure proper controls are in place to prevent any repeat of these actions in the future.

As a public university, UCLA is absolutely committed to ensuring that every applicant is considered purely on their merits without any consideration of financial, political or other benefits to the university, in keeping with policy set by the University of California Board of Regents. UCLA cannot and will not tolerate anything less.

Honesty, integrity and fairness are core values at UCLA and admission to UCLA is a notable accomplishment that cannot be bought by any individual, no matter how wealthy, prominent or powerful. Once here, our students work extraordinarily hard to fulfill the highest standards of academic and athletic excellence.

We remain absolutely committed to an institution that values inclusion, diversity, merit and accomplishment, without exception. We owe that to everyone who shares our dedication to producing the world-class research, teaching and service that have brought this community so much pride.

It should be noted that my high-powered lawyer told me if I used this language and let his kid into UCLA on a Sumo Wrestling Scholarship, he'd get my ass outta this and restore UCLA's reputation.  So I did.   By the way, we have a few Quidditch schollie openings.  Bidding starts at $250,000.  Reply here to me.

Sincerely,
Gene D. Block
Chancellor

Fixed (last 2 sentences)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

UT has always offered full rides to women who have never rowed. I remember want ads being placed the very first year of the team, and I saw a sign on the West Mall in June of 2017 offering the same thing. Women’s rowing offers more scholarships than any sport other than football. It’s a Title IX scam. 

Correct, and it isn't just at UT that goes on everywhere. Full ride scholarships to somewhat athletic women that are willing to learn how to row and work out. As for the numbers the rowing teams are where schools stock pile female scholarships. It's also why all male sports other than football and basketball have for the most part partial scholarships and almost every female on most college teams have full rides. Obviously it can vary from school to school and sport to sport. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Correct, and it isn't just at UT that goes on everywhere. Full ride scholarships to somewhat athletic women that are willing to learn how to row and work out. As for the numbers the rowing teams are where schools stock pile female scholarships. It's also why all male sports other than football and basketball have for the most part partial scholarships and almost every female on most college teams have full rides. Obviously it can vary from school to school and sport to sport. 

There's some HUGE differences in some sports (like wTennis getting 3.5 more scholarships than mTennis, wS&D getting 4.1 more than mS&D) and some smaller differences (softball gets 0.3 more than baseball - no full rides there; MBB gets 13 and WBB gets 15).   But it makes sense because football gets 85.

There's 241.1 women's scholarships available in the entire pool of NCAA-sanctioned sports and 221.3 men's scholarships and an $892 difference in scholarship money.

What does that mean? I don't know.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Why didnt Aunt Becky justt sleep with someone in admissions, no paper trail that way?

As a USC admissions officer I'm seriously disappointed. 

I even gave her my number after she dropped off the last check.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

Back in my day I always wondered why we needed a certain 5’6 dude suited up on the sideline for four years without ever seeing any play time. I doubt that his family owing high profile car dealerships all over Texas had anything to do with it.

What does buying more cars than you probably need have anything to do with this?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tailgate said:

I got curious -- Center lives a few hundred yards away from me.  His kids should feed into Anderson HS, is that where they go?

It's a good neighborhood but nothing about their house would indicate they've been bankrolling much in excess of his UT salary (as if that means anything).

22 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

The govt official running the press conference yesterday said so

Didn't know that but it makes sense.  My kids went to a fancy shmancy private high school in Houston.  As a result, we met and know jillions of other kids from private high schools in Dallas and Austin.  Since one of these testing facilities was in Houston, I'm thinking we're going to know some folks on "the list."

5 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Interesting because in the recording he said he used the money for facilities. I’m wondering if Patterson was pressuring him so much that he chose the deal with the devil.

I'm sure the checks written to "Texas Athletics re: Michael Center" went to UT, but I just dont see a way Patterson would be telling a coach to go collect 60K in straight cash in a hotel parking lot.  What's the point when they could have given that money to LHF and gotten tax deductions (at that time).

Also, dont forget that Center was going to take $90K to let another kid in for next year.

7 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Here is a listing. Equivalency scholarships can range anywhere from books only to a full scholarship, although most athletes receive between a quarter and a half scholarship.

http://www.speeddevelopment.net/NCAA_College_Scholarship_Rules_and_Limits_-_CollegeAthletes.com.pdf

I didn't think the sports angle was related to scholarships, it had to do with prospective athletes not being held to the same admission standards.  By making them athletes, they took the kids out of the normal admissions review.  Admissions people are used to seeing substandard grades and/or test scores for those kids.  They don't kick kids out of school if they decide to quit a sport, once you're a student you're a student.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

I didn't think the sports angle was related to scholarships, it had to do with prospective athletes not being held to the same admission standards.  By making them athletes, they took the kids out of the normal admissions review.  Admissions people are used to seeing substandard grades and/or test scores for those kids.  They don't kick kids out of school if they decide to quit a sport, once you're a student you're a student.  

This is correct.  More specifically, it appears to be about getting more lax admissions standards for kids who present themselves as borderline college athlete/walk-on candidates.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I got curious -- Center lives a few hundred yards away from me.  His kids should feed into Anderson HS, is that where they go?

It's a good neighborhood but nothing about their house would indicate they've been bankrolling much in excess of his UT salary (as if that means anything).

St. Stephen's