Mass College Admission Cheating Scandal

Js1

44 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I always thought Burt Bacharach made millions for himself.  Pity he had to resort to this:

Better times:

burt_bacharach_-_2010_visionary_ball_-_g

Now:
87499d6163d31f1ce8cbd31e9915c837.jpg

It really hurt his career that there hasn't been an Austin Powers movie in a while. 

Edited by Trey3216

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

This is correct.  More specifically, it appears to be about getting more lax admissions standards for kids who present themselves as borderline college athlete/walk-on candidates.

Well that explains how Blake Gideon got in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Llano Estacado said:

What it lacks in CEO’s kids, social media influencers, and Hollywood love it makes up with Darrell’s po-boys, duck hunting, and drunkin nights seeing yesterday’s stars today only at L’Auberge!

You could have just said Darrell’s. Darrell’s and fiesty brunettes puts them pretty much right behind the horns as a top school for me  

And it’s been over a year since I’ve gotten a special, fuck you for making me want to make the drive this AM. 

Edited by fattyflattie

34 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

This is correct.  More specifically, it appears to be about getting more lax admissions standards for kids who present themselves as borderline college athlete/walk-on candidates.

I thought Stanford did not allow lower admission standards for their athletes. At least back in the day that was the case. Maybe they loosened up somewhere along the line?

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I thought Stanford did not allow lower admission standards for their athletes. At least back in the day that was the case. Maybe they loosened up somewhere along the line?

Not as far as say, Texas does, but not as hardcore as Ivies, which just consider sports another extracurricular and don't give athletic scholarships..  Stanford definitely cuts athletes breaks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not as far as say, Texas does, but not as hardcore as Ivies, which just consider sports another extracurricular and don't give athletic scholarships..  Stanford definitely cuts athletes breaks.

Ivies might not give athletic scholarships but they definitely still recruit kids based on athletic ability. 

Just not dumb kids. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tokamak said:

They don't need to marry rich, because mommy and daddy are already rich. That's what pisses me off the most about the whole deal. Aunt Becky's daughters are bullshit Instagram "influencers" or whatever. You don't need to go to USC for that. These kids couldn't get into top schools on their own, so it's not like they're going to show up and work their asses off studying nuclear physics. The entire idea of going to an elite college is just another bullshit status symbol for these rich fucks. 

The dirty secret about many of these elite colleges is that, so long as you don't choose a hard major, you will graduate with a 3.0 minimum by just showing up.  Many are almost  impossible to fail out of.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

The dirty secret about many of these elite colleges is that, so long as you don't choose a hard major, you will graduate with a 3.0 minimum by just showing up.  Many are almost  impossible to fail out of.

to prevent it from getting too cloaky there was a story about a particular person getting into Harvard

it pointed out that they did graduate with honors, but 90% of the class graduated with honors....grade inflation is rampant

what does honors even mean when 90% of a class get them

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smwhorn said:

Didn't know that but it makes sense.  My kids went to a fancy shmancy private high school in Houston.  As a result, we met and know jillions of other kids from private high schools in Dallas and Austin.  Since one of these testing facilities was in Houston, I'm thinking we're going to know some folks on "the list."

Going to be very interesting.

18 hours ago, Drew said:

I wonder if people will see the difference between the obvious "privilege" here and "white privilege" which are two different things, and already mixed up all over social media.

the funny thing about this is if they were not white they wouldn't have had to do this. 

Buddy of mine's daughter (who is now a freshman at UT ironically) was a year behind Olivia Jade at Marymount HS (super richy all girls private school).  He says there are a number of parents there who are going to get rolled up on this one.  

• Like 1

One of the key features of the upper class back in the day is they actually BELIEVED in their role in society. They may have been ruthless and greedy, but they also gave back to society in the form of libraries, museums, and donations to causes. They felt a pride in their status and passed it along to their kids. They didn't always succeed in raising a new generation that was worth a shit, but at least they didn't just spend all their cash on indulging themselves and were smart enough to be modest and discreet.  Which is not what we have going on here.

However, alas, the adults of this generation have no such pride or discretion. They are dumb enough to go humble brag about it after mommy shelled out thousands to get you there. 

Heh...they call them "new money" for a reason.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Buddy of mine's daughter (who is now a freshman at UT ironically) was a year behind Olivia Jade at Marymount HS (super richy all girls private school).  He says there are a number of parents there who are going to get rolled up on this one.  

You know many attorneys received phone calls yesterday to inquire about potential criminal liability. No one wants that 6am knock.  

I gather that many paid admission advisers assist kids in sprucing up their application and essays. While I'm sure most in this industry are following the law, it must be tempting to go over the line especially if a bonus is involved. "I can keep suggesting to Thurston Howell VI how to improve his essay but why not just re-write it for him so I can earn my 25K bonus when he gets accepted to Harvard. Does it really matter because I'm not hurting anyone?"

17 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Links not showing up for me.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lhorn said:

What does it mean “economic merit?”  Certainly not that she’s poor.  Are they saying she got in, in part because she’s rich?

also if she so academically qualified why was mom trying so desperately to have her NOT end up at ASU?

r/AteTheOnion

15 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I know this is an Onion article, but it's pretty damn spot on when it comes to SC

That's what makes The Onion's satire so great. They're on point so often.

13 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Fuck Jimmy Kimmel and his relatives.  The CEO of the largest bond mutual fund company in America, who helped ouster the founder/Chairman/CEO and subsequent CEO is implicated.  Jimmy Kimmel’s possible family is puppynuts here 

They're not related to Jimmy.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Ivies might not give athletic scholarships but they definitely still recruit kids based on athletic ability. 

Just not dumb kids. 

Define "dumb". Our high school had a few guys play football and basketball at Ivy league schools during my time. No chance in hell they would have been accepted  if they didnt show up on some 2nd team all-state type lists. A designation of "average intelligence" is about the most generous way I could describe a couple of them.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Pay your fee, get your C.

That's what was chanted at SMU games in the early 80s, not that they're in the same league as an Ivy or Stanford.

Just now, Blotto said:

Define "dumb". Our high school had a few guys play football and basketball at Ivy league schools during my time. No chance in hell they would have been accepted  if they didnt show up on some 2nd team all-state type lists. A designation of "average intelligence" is about the most generous way I could describe a couple of them.

Well, I would guess it depends on the sport. Football and basketball are probably more lenient. 

I would also guess it depends on the school. There is a substantial gulf between getting into Harvard or Yale and getting into Cornell/Dartmouth/Penn. 

2 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

That's what was chanted at SMU games in the early 80s, not that they're in the same league as an Ivy or Stanford.

Tbf SMU is a much better school than it was in the 80s. It is plenty easy to flunk out of Cox or drop below a 3.0. You don't just show up and get As and Bs. 

Edited by ztejas
(if anything, SMU deflates grades - at least within Cox)