A Venue Named "Rednecks With Paychecks". ATVs. A Guy from OK.

Wally Pryor

26 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Serious question.  This seems like a lawyers wet dream scenario, yet it's still standing.  So what gives?

Free will.  Not sure about rwpc but when you skydive or participate in other activities where you could die or be injured, you sign a waiver and you acknowledge the risk.  People die everyday.  It’s what we do.  I love the “make it illegal” over reactions by some of the people on here.  That works so well, keeps people from being murdered and over dosing every day

Just now, CHIEF said:

LOL, know these guys as well. Their Dad used to own the Texas Safari wildlife park in Clifton. Andrew Parsons is the only one I know real well, but he isn't one of the owners of BSR. A good defense attorney could make millions defending BSR and RWP, would be a full time job.

CHIEF

Stuart is an interesting guy for sure. I know quite a few people that work for the roofing company.

From the WF article:

The accident happened about 2 a.m. on March 16 when an all-terrain vehicle collided head-on with a utility vehicle on a gravel road inside the park. Morse said it was not on any of the courses or tracks, but on a regular road.

2am???  What time does this place close?

2 minutes ago, Cody2422 said:

Free will.  Not sure about rwpc but when you skydive or participate in other activities where you could die or be injured, you sign a waiver and you acknowledge the risk.  People die everyday.  It’s what we do.  I love the “make it illegal” over reactions by some of the people on here.  That works so well, keeps people from being murdered and over dosing every day

I mean I get that, I'm not in the shut it down crowd.  Just curious of the actual legal work at play.  I mean people die at Six Flags and they seem to have to pay out huge settlements, are these parks just bettered lawyered than six flags, or is it a completely different animal.

7 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

Surprised by the comments. Usually surly is all in on the “play stupid games, win stupid prizes.” Darwin Award.

Maybe it's because it seems like there are a lot of venues that take reasonable precautions and when some Darwin award winner becomes rich off of stupidity normal people are no longer allowed to have fun.  Here you have a place set up just so stupid people can kill themselves and they get rich.

13 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Derek, or Derrick,  said it still had the paper tags and less than 500 miles on it.

CHIEF

Used to go to Bob Wills Day in Turkey, Texas every year and camp in the city park. One year, 1980something, they made a mud run and all the big 4x4's were playing in it. Up rolls a brand new Toyota pickup, paper tags and all. He takes a run at it and high centered about halfway. He was stuck pretty good, too. They had 4 Blazers lined up behind him and couldn't budge him. They tried pulling him forward and nothing.

Mind you the idiot driving hasn't stepped out of the Toyota the whole time. Everybody else is getting muddy trying to hook and unhook him. It doesn't have a rear bumper and they bend the shit out of everything looking for a good place to pull. Finally a big tall F250 rolls in there and puts a strap on the tarp hook on the side of the bed. I fully expected him to rip that right off but I'll be damned if it held and he pulled him out. Tweaked the shit out of the bed, but got him out. Driver finally gets out of the Toyota (he's spotless), walks around looking at all the damage and says "She's gonna be pissed." 

Turns out it was his girlfriend's birthday present and she let him "take it for a spin".  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RPM said:

Used to go to Bob Wills Day in Turkey, Texas every year and camp in the city park. One year, 1980something, they made a mud run and all the big 4x4's were playing in it. Up rolls a brand new Toyota pickup, paper tags and all. He takes a run at it and high centered about halfway. He was stuck pretty good, too. They had 4 Blazers lined up behind him and couldn't budge him. They tried pulling him forward and nothing.

Mind you the idiot driving hasn't stepped out of the Toyota the whole time. Everybody else is getting muddy trying to hook and unhook him. It doesn't have a rear bumper and they bend the shit out of everything looking for a good place to pull. Finally a big tall F250 rolls in there and puts a strap on the tarp hook on the side of the bed. I fully expected him to rip that right off but I'll be damned if it held and he pulled him out. Tweaked the shit out of the bed, but got him out. Driver finally gets out of the Toyota (he's spotless), walks around looking at all the damage and says "She's gonna be pissed." 

Turns out it was his girlfriend's birthday present and she let him "take it for a spin".  

Lots of stupid shit going on. But it tends to happen when oilfield guys have been stuck in a man camp for 60-90 days, working on their days off, a lot like Navy seamen, they just stack $100k worth of paychecks, and the single guys really have nothing much to spend it on. I'll be damned if they are gonna save it. The guy paid cash for that Raptor, the frame was bent to hell, and they totaled the vehicle. Of course there was never gonna be an insurance payout, not after that.

CHIEF

13 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Lots of stupid shit going on. But it tends to happen when oilfield guys have been stuck in a man camp for 60-90 days, working on their days off, a lot like Navy seamen, they just stack $100k worth of paychecks, and the single guys really have nothing much to spend it on. I'll be damned if they are gonna save it. The guy paid cash for that Raptor, the frame was bent to hell, and they totaled the vehicle. Of course there was never gonna be an insurance payout, not after that.

CHIEF

Yeah, when I was in the Navy we'd get back to port after a 6 month overseas deployment and pretty much without fail some kid would go pay cash for a crotch rocket and immediately crash it and kill hisself.

12 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Serious question, how many non fatal collisions are there?  

Last September, a monster truck driver with “a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage” and “bloodshot eyes” ran over and injured one of the security officers on duty. No charges were filed.

linkie

I'm not a lawyer, but allowing a fuckton of drunk rednecks to drive around your property seems like a recipe for a lawsuit(s).

2 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

well...not exactly...my dope man was your local neighborhood pharmacist. 

tweekers are a whole different animal (see, exempli gratia, Iconoclast, who sucked a dick).

I was just fuckin around. Meant nothing by it, just to be clear.

• Like 1

Outside of the 10 year old, who probably didn't know the risk, but wouldn't be at any future events if their own rules are followed.

People may not remember the risk once they are allowed to get drunk on the property one owns. That's going to be his lawsuit problem. Of course, get rid of the alcohol, problems greatly decrease. Get rid of alcohol, customers also greatly decrease.

do they openly allow booze? or does the waiver say 'no booze' and they just don't look very hard or enforce it?

Not remotely the same, but sorta similar to the dad/spawn weekend camps for Adventure Guides/Indian Princesses.  All the waivers you sign say no booze, but you don't have to be Columbo to figure out that every Yeti cup out there is filled to the brim with whiskey or beer.  With the exception of Sky Ranch.  Sky Ranch actively will search your cooler upon arrival and randomly through out the camp out.  Still, it's not that hard to just keep your booze in the tent or cabin, but it's the inconvenience factor.

10 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

do they openly allow booze? or does the waiver say 'no booze' and they just don't look very hard or enforce it?

Not remotely the same, but sorta similar to the dad/spawn weekend camps for Adventure Guides/Indian Princesses.  All the waivers you sign say no booze, but you don't have to be Columbo to figure out that every Yeti cup out there is filled to the brim with whiskey or beer.  With the exception of Sky Ranch.  Sky Ranch actively will search your cooler upon arrival and randomly through out the camp out.  Still, it's not that hard to just keep your booze in the tent or cabin, but it's the inconvenience factor.

Having been to about six of those with my daughter, I can assure you the booze was flowing heavily from the minute we got situated until late, late, late Saturday night. We didn't have anybody really policing this even at Sky Ranch, though you did have to keep it incognito as much as possible. My daughter is in 7th grade, though, and this stops in 2nd. Apparently, one of the years after us, an argument broke out between a couple of dads and a knife got pulled during the ensuing fight. That, plus another story of a drunken dad trying to hurdle a fire and falling backwards into it (plowed, of course) might mean the Y is policing this better than they used to. (My wife, who is 38, said it was good to hear not much had changed from the Y Princess camp outs she'd gone to with her dad 30 years prior.)

20 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

They openly allow it. The waiver says:

he/she is aware that alcohol is permitted in event area by participants and consumed by participants, subject to compliance with the laws of the State of Texas

(State of Texas law allows consumption on private property, unless the owner says no - no max BAC etc.)

ABSOLUTELY NO ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION PERMITTED DURING THE COURSE OF MOTORIZED COMPETITIONS! Us

Can be totally wasted before and during the competition, just can't drink during it. This will be his lawsuit issue that will ultimately be the downfall.

One of the first pics when searching.

611fb8_25058f40ecac4fa3af61a9b448ce0e28~

Edited by relapse98
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Having been to about six of those with my daughter, I can assure you the booze was flowing heavily from the minute we got situated until late, late, late Saturday night. We didn't have anybody really policing this even at Sky Ranch, though you did have to keep it incognito as much as possible. My daughter is in 7th grade, though, and this stops in 2nd. Apparently, one of the years after us, an argument broke out between a couple of dads and a knife got pulled during the ensuing fight. That, plus another story of a drunken dad trying to hurdle a fire and falling backwards into it (plowed, of course) might mean the Y is policing this better than they used to. (My wife, who is 38, said it was good to hear not much had changed from the Y Princess camp outs she'd gone to with her dad 30 years prior.)

yeah, it's the same.  It's all related to the dumbassery by a few dads that they have to be more strict.  We had a huge group (that was loud and stayed up late) and they would come nosing around and look through any coolers that were out in the open.  Talking with some other cabins, they did not get the sames searches.  Through the Lakewood Elm. group going out to Camp Olympia, that camp DNGAF and you don't have to worry about it.

Point was that if freaking Sky Ranch was getting all uppity about enforcing the no booze policy and all they have are a few golf carts running around, it has got to be a hell of a waiver from RNWP to justify openly allowing booze in there.

Thanks for the ^^^ info replase!

Edited by gyroprotagonist

36 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

They openly allow it. The waiver says:

(State of Texas law allows consumption on private property, unless the owner says no - no max BAC etc.)

Can be totally wasted before and during the competition, just can't drink during it. This will be his lawsuit issue that will ultimately be the downfall.

One of the first pics when searching.

611fb8_25058f40ecac4fa3af61a9b448ce0e28~

I'm in the insurance industry and that kind of shit would keep me up at night if I had a client allowing that shit on his personal property. Waiver or not, I predict this will not end well for him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thestud said:

This has been going on since 2011. As long as he’s willing to pay through the nose for it, somebody is willing to insure him.

Not necessarily, at some point the event will likely become uninsurable -- at any cost. I hope at that point your buddy has the sense to call it a day and stops hosting the event.

When my dad was in Indian Guides with my little brother, their tribe was apparently too rowdy for some others at Camp Tecumseh in northern Indiana. Not only did the entire tribe get kicked out of the campgrounds one Saturday morning, but our home YMCA revoked the tribe's charter and kicked them out of the entire organization. 

The group stayed together and went rogue for a few years before the boys got too old to be interested any longer. 

Both my dad and my brother were pretty fond of the renegade years, and while dad is now getting kicked out of the great pow-wow in the happy hunting grounds, my 32 year old brother is still friends with a few of the boys and their dads. 

Well, since this thing is veering off topic a bit, I'll further the detour...

My boy scout troop (384) was mostly older boys, with a very high percentage of Eagle scouts. I was one of the youngest. Scoutmaster was a great dude, worked for the forest service, and took us on great backpacking trips. Every year, the scout-o-rama was held at brookside park, which is the park that surrounds the Rose Bowl.

For the last couple of years, we were edged out of the overall high score for the event by an all asian troop , troop #3, from Gardena. The older boys had figured out a way to maybe swing the final tally in our favor. They accomplished this by getting troop #3 absolutely smashed the night before the final day's competition.

We won. Once word got out on our doings, they reclaimed the trophy.  Then they disbanded our troop. No More 384.

2 hours ago, otisdog said:

Well, since this thing is veering off topic a bit, I'll further the detour...

My boy scout troop (384) was mostly older boys, with a very high percentage of Eagle scouts. I was one of the youngest. Scoutmaster was a great dude, worked for the forest service, and took us on great backpacking trips. Every year, the scout-o-rama was held at brookside park, which is the park that surrounds the Rose Bowl.

For the last couple of years, we were edged out of the overall high score for the event by an all asian troop , troop #3, from Gardena. The older boys had figured out a way to maybe swing the final tally in our favor. They accomplished this by getting troop #3 absolutely smashed the night before the final day's competition.

We won. Once word got out on our doings, they reclaimed the trophy.  Then they disbanded our troop. No More 384.

No idea your vintage, but did you ever do the big shindig at the Pomona Fairgrounds?  Think it was called the Jamboree, but I only was a scout for a couple of years

On 3/21/2019 at 12:04 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Maybe it's because it seems like there are a lot of venues that take reasonable precautions and when some Darwin award winner becomes rich off of stupidity normal people are no longer allowed to have fun.  Here you have a place set up just so stupid people can kill themselves and they get rich.

This seems like a convenient solution to both overpopulation and idiocracy.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 8:11 AM, DaggerHorns said:

more wreck footage...

Yeah, and I like my women just a little on the trashy side.
When they wear their clothes too tight and their hair is dyed.
Too much lipstick and, ah, too much rouge
Gets me excited, leaves me feeling confused
And I like my women just a little on the trashy side

• Like 2