Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

12 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Hell yeah. I’ve posted coq a number of times on this thread, but have never tried the blanc version. On my list.

First time making it with white, and I read that it’s the more common style of coq au vin made in France. Americans know the dish as red-based because that’s what Julia Child’s introduced when she made French cooking popular in the U.S.

12 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I was feeling old as dirt on my 33rd bday, so decided to kill a baby wine, make some beef Wellington, and throw on The Searchers.

1. Happy Birthday, but I just turned 46 on Thursday, so GTFO with feeling old you whipper snapper.

2. The Wellington looks fantastic, and bravo with the Barolo. One of my favorite vacations ever (even though it involved my ex-wife) was staying three days in the town of Barolo. I love that wine.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, South Austin said:

Coq au Riesling

Start with rendering chopped bacon and chicken skins and then add the mirepoix. Add the wine and herbs, throw in the chicken pieces and simmer a while. Set the chicken aside when cooked, strain the liquid, sauté mushrooms in some leftover bacon fat, thrown the liquid back into the pot, add creme fraiche, and toss the chicken back in. Serve with mashed potatoes. Get laid.

2D9EA3F1-278E-46E6-B6D9-FC8540DF8A97.jpeg

0439AD0A-2B5D-408E-988C-E4BA329C33A8.jpeg

4E4AA7B4-C6C2-4385-A738-00EF642BA5A9.jpeg

82F9395C-E4A8-44A9-AD03-AE5E21D74535.jpeg

948ABF8D-2409-4BB8-AE48-6E84BA6AD53A.jpeg

Nice. Made it with reisling for the first time a couple weeks ago. Actually prefer it to the red. 

21 hours ago, South Austin said:

Coq au Riesling

Start with rendering chopped bacon and chicken skins and then add the mirepoix. Add the wine and herbs, throw in the chicken pieces and simmer a while. Set the chicken aside when cooked, strain the liquid, sauté mushrooms in some leftover bacon fat, thrown the liquid back into the pot, add creme fraiche, and toss the chicken back in. Serve with mashed potatoes. Get laid.

2D9EA3F1-278E-46E6-B6D9-FC8540DF8A97.jpeg

0439AD0A-2B5D-408E-988C-E4BA329C33A8.jpeg

4E4AA7B4-C6C2-4385-A738-00EF642BA5A9.jpeg

82F9395C-E4A8-44A9-AD03-AE5E21D74535.jpeg

948ABF8D-2409-4BB8-AE48-6E84BA6AD53A.jpeg

You magnificent bastard!  Thanks so much for sharing your method.  Looks sensational!  

I hope you got extra-super-duper laid.

On 11/14/2020 at 12:56 PM, pops said:

Super easy. 

Dice an onion and sautee over medium heat in a big pot or Dutch oven. 

Add a jalapeño or 2...or whatever pepper you want depending on spice level. 

3 minced cloves of garlic into the pan for just a bit along with a T of ground cumin and T of chili powder. 

Let that shit get fragrant for maybe a minute then add big can of whole peeled tomatoes. Can of sweet corn (fresh cut off the cob if you can get it)  and can of black beans (both rinsed) and 3 cups of chicken stock. Salt and pepper. 

I also add in half a lime and a handful of chopped up cilantro stems. 

Now you can either take the easy delicious route or the long route that just won't taste as good. 

I grab a rotisserie chicken from the store, shred the breasts and thighs and throw them in the pot, bring everything to a boil then simmer for maybe 30 minutes while I break up the whole tomatoes as they cook. 

If you used raw chicken i guess let it go until it is cooked enough to shred. 

Garnish with cilantro. Sour cream, avocado and tortilla strips. Add hot sauce as desired. I served it with a couple of street taco sized tortillas for dipping. 

Using the rotisserie chicken and this can easily be done in 45 minutes and tastes like you spent hours. 

Sounds great.. have you ever tried making stock with the rotisserie chicken bones? That might take this to the next level

One of the things that has brought me some small joy over this time of covid is bringing my in-laws breakfast.  Usually it was just breakfast tacos, with occasionally some homemade salsa to accompany.  But somewhere along the line I saw some foodie restaurant show where some BBQ place (near Dallas?) was taking yesterdays cue and stuffing into rolled our store bought biscuits adding in some cheese, and it looked simple and sort of fun.  So I did some with some pulled pork, with the biscuits but they were pretty heavy and I switched over to croissants.  So I've farting around with different variations with a lot of ham and cheese, where I cook down the ham cubes to eliminate the liquid.  We got some new super non-stick pans where I can barely cook an egg to get some form and use it as a stuffing as well.  I also found NEW (or new to me) croissant roll sheets at Randall's a couple days ago that makes this process pretty damn quick. 

One thing you need to do is put a little egg wash on the edges to seal the goo in, and use the remaining egg wash to coat the top to get a nice golden brown.  If you want to do any sort of embellishment, get a plate and toss it in the freezer before you get started.  Then take and roll out the curliest inside dough in the package and press it flat to the cold plate and put back in the freezer.  By the time you are done with making the pockets that dough will be hard and easy to cut with a knife.  I sort of stretched out the trees to get a little separation.  ALSO- I started using saran wrap over the granite for easy cleanup.  Now I also put some smaller pieces over that to help roll the sticky dough.  Sort of like a sushi place, if that makes sense.

Anyhow something fun and easy to do if you have folks around wanting something different for breakfast.Fun for Kids especially, but just damn good breakfast fare. Here are the one's I made yesterday for the in-laws, for our socially distanced pop by.

christmas hot pocket 3.JPG

Christmas hot pocket 2.JPG

Christmas hot pocket 1.JPG

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Drool 1

When the plague has killed all the weak, we should all get together for a pot luck.  It will be 75 trays of brisket, 22 trays of steak, 6 cakes, 35 versions of mushrooms and bacon vs no bacon asparagus and 1 pulled pork - I'm guessing. 

Edit: and a bag of chex mix

Edited by beer

Shot some ducks this morning. Daughter asked me to breast out one of the gadwall, so we could have it for dinner tonight. Ok then.

Kept the fatty skin on, scored it, then pan seared. Flipped in the pan, brushed with a maple glaze, finished it in the oven to medium rare.

e9f4edfc425b4e30a140c4db51295744.jpg

And yes, it is accompanied by two of the duck hearts from the other ducks we got.

Sides are my mother’s “Christmas rice” - kind of a hybrid mushroom wild rice/dirty rice, and a mixed green salad with pear, Stilton, and almonds.

It slammed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 3

On 12/13/2020 at 10:01 PM, BearCountry11 said:

Tried out some smoked then flash-fried wings tonight - might have found my new favorite way to do wings. We almost always fry them since I need a little crunch in my buffalo wings. Got this idea from Stiles Switch BBQ - unbelievable. All the smoky flavors you want and a nice, crispy exterior. Tossed in a little buffalo sauce (unnecessary) and devoured by the wife and I.

b946d9968f9ef559142238b5768a72cd.jpg
c49eef457e419a4128ef09cf2ab6fb84.jpg
10fb149abb44ab56cd9dbf190c699052.jpg
eaf300125e1ab1518086028f98386fd4.jpg
4c883a54b78ec787ac5f85e44e24884b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too prefer the crunchy experience with wings. And those look fantastic!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1