Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Majors is the type of player that late-era Mack and Charlie would have ruined with their poor roster management and shoddy development. If Jake gets 1-2 years to redshirt and add strength, he'll be a good interior lineman.

Yep, this programs floor has been elevated.

39 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

If the 247 page is correct - they dropped Majors 479 spots down to 717.

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Jake-Majors-at-Prosper-217118/RecruitRankHistory/?history=top247

That’s absurd. He has almost all of the projectable qualities you’d want in an OL. Just needs to add strength and improve technique, which are the easiest attributes to develop. 

Of course he won’t look good at camps right now, but ranking OL based off camp performance is a huge part of the reason OL rankings are so shoddy. What a guy does without pads three years before he’s going to see the field really shouldn’t have much bearing on a prospect’s ranking.

36 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He's 701 on 247's own rankings.

That’s also absurd. CTJ is great on the field right now, did pretty well at the Opening and has a ton of positional versatility in a system like ours. I get that him being classified as a slower box safety right now will hurt his rank some, but the guys is flat out good at football, and he’d find a position at any school regardless of scheme. There’s no chance he should be that far down the list. 

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think we're all more than fine with Garth and Parr. Going after Majors instead of Anderson, Baker or Hayes was a bit puzzling from the jump, but if we finish out with Lindberg or Karic it's a class we can all be super happy with heading into 2021.

Going after 3 interior guys in Parr, Majors, Lindberg has never made sense to me when guys like Baker, Anderson, Hayes we’re out there. I’d prefer Karic over Lindberg, but either way, we want Tackle heavy in 2019 and will in 2021, so our OL room will be fine.

Repping center at a camp when you've only learned the technique earlier that morning in a drill that already has the OL at a tremendous disadvantage, especially going up against athletic 320 pound defensive tackles who have their hands on you while you're snapping the ball seems pretty difficult. Watch the hudl, he's a tremendous growth prospect for center. We need someone else for 2020, but as an early enrollee who's going to buy in on playing center from day one, I bet he'll be ready for 2021

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Going after 3 interior guys in Parr, Majors, Lindberg has never made sense to me when guys like Baker, Anderson, Hayes we’re out there. I’d prefer Karic over Lindberg, but either way, we want Tackle heavy in 2019 and will in 2021, so our OL room will be fine. 

It makes sense if the staff thinks Lindberg is a tackle who can also play inside if needed. It's apparent they think they only need nine OL between the two classes, since the qualify is so high, and since they probably like how the four 2019 guys are looking. 

He's being penalized because he struggled big time at camps. Let's not try to rationalize it. A lot of guys play OT in HS and then rep at OG. 

3 stars feels appropriate for Majors. 

This. Majors is a project. Not only is he going to be asked to learn the hardest position on the OL, he needs 2-3 years of S&C before you're really confortable sending him out there. Doesn't mean he's not a take, but a three star rating is appropriate.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Majors is the type of player that late-era Mack and Charlie would have ruined with their poor roster management and shoddy development. If Jake gets 1-2 years to redshirt and add strength, he'll be a good interior lineman.

In a normal, healthy program we don’t see him on the field until his redshirt sophomore year. 

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

It makes sense if the staff thinks Lindberg is a tackle who can also play inside if needed. It's apparent they think they only need nine OL between the two classes, since the qualify is so high, and since they probably like how the four 2019 guys are looking. 

I know you and I aren’t on the same page on this, but it doesn’t make sense to think Lindberg is a Tackle IMO and it especially doesn’t make sense to think he’s a Tackle in place of guys like Anderson or Baker.

It is comical watching a rankings change and then some of you start doubting the takes. Majors is a day one C with a mean streak a mile wide. We’re pondering the efficacy of 3 interior OL takes in a class when one is a C? Why?

If the program doesn’t face surprising attrition by the end of August, this is going to be a small class. I’ve skeptically relayed that for months, but it looks plausible that this could be 20-21 signees if they leave room for a transfer/GT/late JUCO plug-in. That may impact Lindberg. Maybe he commits soon though. For all we’ve mentioned of Karic, I don’t actually see much activity with him at this time. Could just be a 4 person OL class and then they go hard on 2021 (which they should do either way).

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I know you and I aren’t on the same page on this, but it doesn’t make sense to think Lindberg is a Tackle IMO and it especially doesn’t make sense to think he’s a Tackle in place of guys like Anderson or Baker.

I actually think Lindberg is a guard all the way, but OL is the toughest position to evaluate, and if Hand thinks he's a tackle, I'll assume that I'm in the wrong 

It's interesting that they like Karic more than Anderson 

I think there is a lot of PTSD left from Mack and Charlie.

Texas doesn't need Majors to be a day one starter. They don't need him to do anything for 2 years. He's going to RS, just like Sheppard, Johnson, and Hookfin are going to RS. Just like the entire OL class of 2018 RS'd. It's to be expected now. If there are developmental holes in the OL, the coaching staff will go out and get a GT or a JUCO to plug them, something neither Brown or Strong liked to do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

The camps matter most for getting your commits to recruit other players, not so much for teaching or evaluation. We got burned with the Rivals camp this year.

Missed that info... how did Texas get burned at Rivals camp??

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It is comical watching a rankings change and then some of you start doubting the takes. Majors is a day one C with a mean streak a mile wide. We’re pondering the efficacy of 3 interior OL takes in a class when one is a C? Why?

If the program doesn’t face surprising attrition by the end of August, this is going to be a small class. I’ve skeptically relayed that for months, but it looks plausible that this could be 20-21 signees if they leave room for a transfer/GT/late JUCO plug-in. That may impact Lindberg. Maybe he commits soon though. For all we’ve mentioned of Karic, I don’t actually see much activity with him at this time. Could just be a 4 person OL class and then they go hard on 2021 (which they should do either way).

I'm perfectly happy with just taking 4 in 2020, given the way 2021 has started out. As for it being a small class, I've got no problem with that, either. Only one guy who I'd call a possible reach out of everybody they've taken commitments from so far, and given my amateur status, I'm comfortable with the possibility I'm wrong about that, too.

Anybody who's bitching at this point just doesn't want to be happy.

I don't care about class size, I just want the staff to address our needs adequately. If they pull some magic with a 5* RB, land Collins, and find a linebacker who can move in space and diagnose plays, then it's a job well done. I'm sure we'll figure something out at WR, CB2, and safety.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I don't care about class size, I just want the staff to address our needs adequately. If they pull some magic with a 5* RB, land Collins, and find a linebacker who can move in space and diagnose plays, then it's a job well done. I'm sure we'll figure something out at WR, CB2, and safety.

Guess this needs to come back out

giphy.gif

33 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s absurd. He has almost all of the projectable qualities you’d want in an OL. Just needs to add strength and improve technique, which are the easiest attributes to develop. 

Of course he won’t look good at camps right now, but ranking OL based off camp performance is a huge part of the reason OL rankings are so shoddy. What a guy does without pads three years before he’s going to see the field really shouldn’t have much bearing on a prospect’s ranking.

That’s also absurd. CTJ is great on the field right now, did pretty well at the Opening and has a ton of positional versatility in a system like ours. I get that him being classified as a slower box safety right now will hurt his rank some, but the guys is flat out good at football, and he’d find a position at any school regardless of scheme. There’s no chance he should be that far down the list. 

looks like they were working on things

he is now 543 in their rankings: https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Jake-Majors-at-Prosper-217118/RecruitRankHistory/?history=top247

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I am not sanguine about TB. They seem to be really fucking terrible with planning for that position. Maybe they win the Evans sweepstakes “somehow”. 

I dare anyone to explain LB at this point. I guess they’re hoping for some guys to emerge in the fall. 

I think they’re landing Collins and if they take Umanlymannishman as a fourth somehow, holy shit I guess.

Who normally keeps up with the counts for the forward roster years? At the start of 2020’s season, how many scholarships will we have room for assuming no attrition and Floyd and Brown are cleared to play? Is it like 20?

58 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think we're all more than fine with Garth and Parr. Going after Majors instead of Anderson, Baker or Hayes was a bit puzzling from the jump, but if we finish out with Lindberg or Karic it's a class we can all be super happy with heading into 2021.

Did Anderson even show interest in Texas??

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Who normally keeps up with the counts for the forward roster years? At the start of 2020’s season, how many scholarships will we have room for assuming no attrition and Floyd and Brown are cleared to play? Is it like 20?

We graduate 12 seniors (only 3 redshirt seniors), which brings us down to 65 spots before any other attrition (draft, transfer, retirement). You could probably find 2-3 potential transfers after this season without too much trouble.

I don't keep track beyond the present, but I'll show my work:

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I am not sanguine about TB. They seem to be really fucking terrible with planning for that position. Maybe they win the Evans sweepstakes “somehow”. 

I dare anyone to explain LB at this point. I guess they’re hoping for some guys to emerge in the fall. 

I think they’re landing Collins and if they take Umanlymannishman as a fourth somehow, holy shit I guess.

spoilering this bc Machinator has a better thread linked above. The only thing to consider from his list is if Parker Braun takes a redshirt or not

Spoiler

not perfect, but IT's list has Texas currently has having

• 14 JR (actually 15 but includes DBoyd)
  • 18 SO 
  • 12 RS FR
  • 22 FR (includes both Floyd and Brown)

there are 66 there + Parker Braun, depending on if he takes a RS or not

Edited by NoName

55 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Going after Majors instead of Anderson, Baker or Hayes was a bit puzzling from the jump

Hayes wasn't coming here. Ever.  

I know that everyone here is down on Majors right now, and I get it. You can't coach balance or smarts and you can't ignore the massive improvements that he made in pads vs. the underwear olympics. I'm fine with him being named a 3* but I also think his offer is warranted. C prospects are harder by a large margin to evaluate that OT.  The closer you get to the ball mantra is truth. He's got the brains and the balance but none of the bulk. If we're picking 1 of those 3 attributes the bulk is FAR down the list from the other 2. 

Ty'kieast Crawford and Kelvontay Dixon are the 2 guys that I think we should've moved on earlier and more aggressively. Traylor is a fucking savage and if he rips Hayes from Aggy he will have landed 3 difference makers that should be playing at Texas and Aggy respectively. 

• Like 2

Just now, golfclap said:

Ty'kieast Crawford and Kelvontay Dixon are the 2 guys that I think we should've moved on earlier and more aggressively. Traylor is a fucking savage and if he rips Hayes from Aggy he will have landed 3 difference makers that should be playing at Texas and Aggy respectively. 

Word on Crawford is that he's a qualifying risk, don't know if you have heard differently.

Just now, Machinator said:

Word on Crawford is that he's a qualifying risk, don't know if you have heard differently.

Ahhh, that makes sense and would explain the trepidation. It's certainly not an on-the-field issue. That guy is already really fucking good and his ceiling is sky high. 

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Hayes wasn't coming here. Ever.  

I know that everyone here is down on Majors right now, and I get it. You can't coach balance or smarts and you can't ignore the massive improvements that he made in pads vs. the underwear olympics. I'm fine with him being named a 3* but I also think his offer is warranted. C prospects are harder by a large margin to evaluate that OT.  The closer you get to the ball mantra is truth. He's got the brains and the balance but none of the bulk. If we're picking 1 of those 3 attributes the bulk is FAR down the list from the other 2. 

My posts have been down on Majors, but I do want to clarify that I still think he's a good take as an interior guy. He's not Bragg, but I like him. At the very least he plays violent and he's a culture fit. Also he's not a human cube.

I said 3 stars was appropriate, but that's because four and five star guys usually have higher athletic ceilings, are more physically mature, or are really advanced technically than what my impression of Majors is. 

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Ahhh, that makes sense and would explain the trepidation. It's certainly not an on-the-field issue. That guy is already really fucking good and his ceiling is sky high. 

He's the best OL prospect in Texas for 2020 aside from the qualification issues 

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

giphy.gif

11 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I first saw that on SpursTalk. TFloss mentioned that no $9.95 had confirmed it thus far.

Unconventional offer tweet and none of the 9.95ers had acknowledged it. I see Justin Wells has retweeted it now, though.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Evans committed somewhere before his season starts. Kid is serious about football and I don’t think he enjoys the recruitment process despite what the perception may be. I think it’s better for us if he waits.