Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

21 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Super K on "negative recruiting":

Hide contents

With Texas hosting their second junior day this upcoming weekend, I wanted to address a bit of a dust up from the last junior day.

There were some rumors and even reports that one particular recruit was not happy with what he perceived to be negative recruiting from the Longhorns.

I did a little digging on this myself and spoke to some people who were either there or new people there and was told that the coaches didn’t say much of anything about Texas A&M or any other school.

Was told that when Sam Ehlinger spoke he did what you might expect an alpha quarterback to do, he said the SEC is overrated, praised living in Austin and said Texas would beat Texas A&M right now if they played.

Pretty mild for former rivals, if you ask me. But it doesn’t sound like the coaches said anything.

Swear that update was from like 3 days after the Demas incident actually happened. Guess he's just re-pasting. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Jett Bush's film has ruined every other player for me. No one can match that majestic white boy handing out CTE to all who dare line up opposite him

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The article on Flowe:

Upland (Calif.) linebacker Justin Flowe is the nation’s top inside linebacker prospect and one of the best to come out of the West region in a long time.

Flowe put on a show at the Opening Regional Camp Sunday. He showed why he’s a top five prospect nationally with a great all around performance. Here was our evaluation of Flowe following the camp;

“Flowe was as good as advertised and maybe even better if that's possible. He has leaned out and said he dropped about 10 pounds since last year and looks quicker and more explosive. He tested well running a4.68-40 with a 34” vertical jump, looked great in the drills and still plays with the same aggressive edge that really sets him apart from just about every other player we have seen come out of the SoCal region.

“He's a natural leader and has a rare ability to elevate everyone around him because of his motor and how maniacal he plays. He landed an invite to The Opening Finals for the second year in a row following the event.”

On the recruiting front, Flowe still has a large list of schools but could be making a cut soon.

“I’ll probably cut down to about 15 in a month or so,” Flowe said. “I’m planning to take a lot of visits this spring and summer but all of my official trips will probably be in the fall.

“The one school I know I’ll officially visit is Clemson. They’re the farthest away from home for me so I want to use an official on them and I really like their school too. I talk to coach Venables all the time and I like how they run their program. They have a great coaching staff that is always fired up and they win so I’m very interested.”

Flowe visited UCLA last week and said his next visits will be to see a pair of Big 12 programs.

“UCLA was real cool,” Flowe said. “I’ve been wanting to visit there and see what they’re about and had a good time. I talked with the whole staff and spent a lot of time with Chip Kelly and Don Pellum. They talked about the program moving forward and how I would fit in and I had a nice tour of the campus as well. I like UCLA and I’m going to consider them for sure.

“My next visits will be to Oklahoma and Texas. I like Oklahoma’s staff and how they do things there. They run a great program and area consistent winner. With Texas, I like coach Herman a lot. We talk all the time and I like their tradition and how they’re turning things around. I think I can go up there and make a big impact on their program.”

Flowe has already visited several programs including Alabama, Oregon and Washington and he has been to USC a number of times. He gave his thoughts on each program.

Bama- “I had a good relationship with Tosh Lupoi but he’s in the NFL now. I need to re-connect with them a little but I still have a ton of interest and I like coach Saban a lot. He’s a great coach and they always compete for championships.”

Oregon- “Oregon is real cool and I love the atmosphere there. Cort Dennison was the coach recruiting me and he’s not there any more but I talked a lot with the rest of the staff including coach Cristobal. I really like the vibe at Oregon and fit in well there.

Washington- “Coach KB (Keith Bhonapha) is my main recruiter and that was a great visit for me. I like the Washington program and moving forward, I can definitely see myself taking another visit out there. I have a good relationship with them and like their program a lot.”

USC- “Johnny Nansen is my guy there. I’m up at USC all the time and me and Nansen are real cool and I like him as a player and a coach. I also like the school in general, I have a strong comfort level there and I’m close with a lot of players that go there too.”

29 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Give me Johnny Wilson, Mookie Cooper, Jake Smith, Bru McCoy and Marcus Washington in a 5 wide receiver set with Jordan Whittington in the backfield and I'll put that up against any group of skill players in the country. 

Except you can just key on Whittington since he isn't a real threat to pass.