Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

8 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

DB numbers are going to be very interesting, especially at corner. Wonder if they would take both Watts and Eaton or wait to see what happens with bigger guys like Ringo

I think it's pretty clear that Herman really believes it when he says he'll only recruit guys he thinks are championship caliber. The best example is RB recruiting last cycle. I think he's going to go hard after Ringo. And I like our position with him right now. 

25 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

You also thought Sam was a waterhead. Nobody gets them all, that is why it is so fun to make fun of jokers like Hamm and Luicci who gets absolutely all of them wrong. You would think by shear sheer numbers there would be a 50% hit rate at least, but these guys are beyond rational thought.

Fixed it for you

I’m really impressed by Herman, he really meant it when he said he was going to align the program. We got one of the best ADs in the country. We have one of the best strength coaches in the country. Our media apartment is the best I’ve seen for any sports organization, the quality of our graphics is insane. Herman saw what BC brought to the table and let him loose, there’s no one else like him out there. Back to back top 5 recruiting classes. Really high quality coaching staff. You can literally see the momentum building in front of you, even if Tom doesn’t believe in it. I know the “Texas is back” thing has become a meme, but it doesn’t take a genius to see what’s brewing in Austin. Tom is prepping a well oiled machine. Also Kate has no ass, stop posting her for the olds. Mother fuckers born after 1989 like women who arent built like a blunt. 

Edited by CastHorn

18 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

I’m really impressed by Herman, he really meant it when he said he was going to align the program. We got one of the best ADs in the country. We have one of the best strength coaches in the country. Our media apartment is the best I’ve seen for any sports organization, the quality of our graphics is insane. Herman saw what BC brought to the table and let him loose, there’s no one else like him out there. Back to back top 5 recruiting classes. Really high quality coaching staff. You can literally see the momentum building in front of you, even if Tom doesn’t believe in it. I know the “Texas is back” thing has become a meme, but it doesn’t take a genius to see what’s brewing in Austin. Tom is prepping a well oiled machine. Also Kate has no ass, stop posting her for the olds. Mother fuckers born after 1989 like women who arent built like a blunt. 

Mensa is going to be the next elite generational coach in CFB.   What we are watching is what I initially thought he was capable of.. I wobbled there for a good bit with the Maryland fiascos, but he quickly righted the ship & was dead right when he said "trust the process".

Great combo of smarts, savvy, process & that quirky ego paired with a monster set of balls.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

Mensa is going to be the next elite generational coach in CFB.   What we are watching is what I initially thought he was capable of.. I wobbled there for a good bit with the Maryland fiascos, but he quickly righted the ship & was dead right when he said "trust the process".

Great combo of smarts, savvy, process & that quirky ego paired with a monster set of balls*.

*a.k.a. "Cocaine Courage"

It takes a massive character defect to create a monster program and sustain it. Hopefully he has that defect and that it only leads to success rather than success and then an epic downfall.

5 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

And Johnny fuckball got that from ncaa football

I don;t care where he got it from.  But if you don't think Stone's moves look like JFF (hell he even wears #2), then you also probably don't think Greta Van Fleet is trying to sound like Led Zeppelin.  

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

- belongs in 2021 - my biggest concerns with Stone are his level of comp and his tendency to bail out at the slightest bit of pressure. i also dont like his preference to throw across his body to the opposite side of the field. talent level looks good but has some bad habits.

i

Perfect JFF comp.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

E.J. After Dark

— I put in a new Texas Crystal Ball pick for rising 2020 cornerback Ryan Watts. One of the hottest recruits in the country, Watts got his first look at Texas this weekend and was absolutely blown away by his time on campus. Watts is developing a great relationship with Jason Washington and wants to make a decision before the end of spring. Oklahoma is certainly a threat, but we like where UT stands at this point in the process.

— I also put in a Texas Crystal Ball pick for fast-rising 2021 Dallas Skyline wide receiver Quaydarius Davis. The Longhorns offered and made a big impression on him this weekend. While he is enamored with Oregon early on, Texas has a lot of connections in this recruitment by way of staffer Ra’Shaad Samples. I have a feeling the Longhorns can get him to stay closer to home when it’s all said and done.

— I spoke to our Steve Wiltfong about his Vernon Broughton Texas Crystal Ball pick, and he heard some of the same things that we’ve been hearing for a while. We feel like the Longhorns are the team to beat for the four-star defensive lineman early on. Texas has done a terrific job of recruiting him, and Tom Herman is personally involved. I would still keep an eye on Oklahoma, Alabama and Texas A&M, though.

— I changed my Crystal Ball from Texas A&M to foggy for elite 2021 offensive lineman Donovan Jackson. I caught up with him over the weekend and feel like Texas has made a big move in his recruitment. He loved his recent visit and has been very impressed with offensive line coach Herb Hand. There is a long way to go here, but I’m feeling better about where UT stands.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

E.J. After Dark

Reveal hidden contents

— I put in a new Texas Crystal Ball pick for rising 2020 cornerback Ryan Watts. One of the hottest recruits in the country, Watts got his first look at Texas this weekend and was absolutely blown away by his time on campus. Watts is developing a great relationship with Jason Washington and wants to make a decision before the end of spring. Oklahoma is certainly a threat, but we like where UT stands at this point in the process.

— I also put in a Texas Crystal Ball pick for fast-rising 2021 Dallas Skyline wide receiver Quaydarius Davis. The Longhorns offered and made a big impression on him this weekend. While he is enamored with Oregon early on, Texas has a lot of connections in this recruitment by way of staffer Ra’Shaad Samples. I have a feeling the Longhorns can get him to stay closer to home when it’s all said and done.

— I spoke to our Steve Wiltfong about his Vernon Broughton Texas Crystal Ball pick, and he heard some of the same things that we’ve been hearing for a while. We feel like the Longhorns are the team to beat for the four-star defensive lineman early on. Texas has done a terrific job of recruiting him, and Tom Herman is personally involved. I would still keep an eye on Oklahoma, Alabama and Texas A&M, though.

— I changed my Crystal Ball from Texas A&M to foggy for elite 2021 offensive lineman Donovan Jackson. I caught up with him over the weekend and feel like Texas has made a big move in his recruitment. He loved his recent visit and has been very impressed with offensive line coach Herb Hand. There is a long way to go here, but I’m feeling better about where UT stands.

So in interest of 1k pages, why can't Indian restaurants in Houston get chutney right?  I dated a Gujarati for 2 years, her mom made chutney with the pulp.  All's I get around Indian restaurants is a ranch chutney.  Where do I go?

3 minutes ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

So in interest of 1k pages, why can't Indian restaurants in Houston get chutney right?  I dated a Gujarati for 2 years, her mom made chutney with the pulp.  All's I get around Indian restaurants is a ranch chutney.  Where do I go?

This would have been a better question to ask me 10 years ago when I was still in Texas.

...there's a place off of I69 in Sharpstown, Sri Balaji Bhavan, that made really good coconut and tomato chutneys. White people generally don't like proper (i.e. actual) chutney, so a lot of places make Americanized chutney from a pre-made paste.

18 minutes ago, satyanash said:

This would have been a better question to ask me 10 years ago when I was still in Texas.

...there's a place off of I69 in Sharpstown, Sri Balaji Bhavan, that made really good coconut and tomato chutneys. White people generally don't like proper (i.e. actual) chutney, so a lot of places make Americanized chutney from a pre-made paste.

Fuck the paste.  I want chutney that looks like churrasco.  Her Mom was native, cooked for others and worked from scratch.  That's the thing about you Indians - the good ones don't cook for restaurants, they cook for families and vend on the side. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Texas is shooting for the moon this cycle. I will go with the over on anything up to 2.5 and if Broughton gets a 5th star eventually, hell, it could be 4 of them. 

Also, regarding the EJ Holland periscope notes, a couple of things. 

1) He’s being worked on the Preston Stone front. He’s got no evaluation skills, so he’s beholden to others and what they’ll tell him. So he’s hearing it from Stone’s camp without actually looking at the guy with a clear lens of skills, talent and upside. This dude Stone is Tisdale all over again. I am hoping he holds out from committing long enough that Texas gets their heads right and pivots. 

2) Gee, EJ, you twit, I wonder why Texas isn’t going within 100 feet of Lorando Jackson? Oh, and they’re super interested in McGlothern, huh? This rube is incapable of learning anything and he’s so naive it begs for the premise of having him examined and potentially put into a padded room somewhere for his own protection. 

I cracked up when EJ said mcglothern visiting shows the staff is pushing even though it was his entire 7 on 7 team visiting, including Barnard Wright who EJ simultaneously said we don’t want. Bit of a gap in logic there, EJ. I wouldn’t expect anything less from him though.

4 hours ago, Teryor said:

Serious question, what's the difference in what Carrington and Fedora/Beatty are able to do recruiting-wise and do we expect any actual impact from Fedora/Beatty in that aspect? 

Carrington’a primary role is recruiting. These guys primary role is football x’s and o’s. There’s no difference in what they can do. They can message recruits and and hang out with them when they visits campus. I doubt we’ll utilize them a ton in recruiting unless they have a special connection to a recruit, like working with his coach or knowing the family. In part because these guys will both likely use the analyst position as one-year stop gap and then go elsewhere to actually coach next year.

4 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I’m not in the “Hudson Card is obviously elite camp” like some so I think they need to really nail 2021. There should not be a rush to make up their minds before the freaking junior season is even played out. 

The staff seems to like locking up the QB early and letting him be the bellcow. Both Roschon and Hudson committed before their junior years. Obviously, this requires a lot of trust by the coach’s sin their own evaluation ability. I’ll be curious/hopeful that we make a run at Bryce Young for this class and it sounds like we’d benefit from taking our time on a QB in 2021 with Stone, Davis, JJ, and Jake Garcia all as potbetilly elite prospects showing significant interest.

3 hours ago, RGBIII said:

DB numbers are going to be very interesting, especially at corner. Wonder if they would take both Watts and Eaton or wait to see what happens with bigger guys like Ringo

There are quite a few guys this staff has at #1 at their position who are at least saying they won’t decide until late, like Evans, Ringo, Broughton, Flowe, etc. this staff generally likes to lock up most of their class early, but I’m sure they’ll stay in it as long as possible for those types. It’ll be a balancing act of not filling up but also having late contingency plans in place and the staff being realistic about their odds with these guys. In 2019, we got burned at RB by this and also should’ve/did miss on Bru initially, so it’ll be interesting to see how long the staff pushes for Flowe before they settle for someone else if it’s not looking like we have great odds at landing him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Carrington’a primary role is recruiting. These guys primary role is football x’s and o’s. There’s no difference in what they can do. They can message recruits and and hang out with them when they visits campus. I doubt we’ll utilize them a ton in recruiting unless they have a special connection to a recruit, like working with his coach or knowing the family. In part because these guys will both likely use the analyst position as one-year stop gap and then go elsewhere to actually coach next year.

Both Fedora and Beaty coached HS ball in the DFW area and recruited in Texas for other programs.  I would imagine that their contacts with the North Texas HS coaches network can open some doors for Herman.  Tom and the staff he brought from UH obviously focused on the Houston area at their last stop.  And any Longhorn coach has an in with the Central Texas programs.  DFW is the one big talent pool in state where they haven't been the leader.

Overall, the outlook on this class looks extremely bright right about now. I think 2020 will be the class where we see Herman’s ideally strategy come into play. Land what would be a top 10 class nationally with just the in-state guys and cherrypick 5-6 elite national guys to push the class into top 3-4 in the nation.

Imagine what our 2019 class would’ve been like if we had hit on even just Leal, Richardson, Bragg, and say maybe Garrett Wilson. That would’ve been a Bama-level class right there. Herman winning 10 games and the Sugar Bowl last year was absolutely huge and were seeing the payoff now. He’s gonna be able to lock up the core of a top 5 class before we even play a game in 2019. 

Herman’s building a monster and if we can a lack of depth and some talent disparities at certain spots to get to another 10 win season in 2019, then this program will be in playoff contention year in and year out for the foreseeable future. 

The difference in talent/experience between the 2019 roster that has the 2016 class that’s been depleted by attrition as seniors and the #25 2017 class as juniors compared to the 2020 roster, which will have a Senior Ehlinger along with the #3 2018 class as juniors, the #3 2019 class as sophomores, and wherever we finish in 2020, will be massive.  If most of these guys pan out, the 2020 roster could be our most talented overall roster since 2005. 

• Like 3

Just now, sushihorn said:

Both Fedora and Beaty coached HS ball in the DFW area and recruited in Texas for other programs.  I would imagine that their contacts with the North Texas HS coaches network can open some doors for Herman.  Tom and the staff he brought from UH obviously focused on the Houston area at their last stop.  And any Longhorn coach has an in with the Central Texas programs.  DFW is the one big talent pool in state where they haven't been the leader.

Yeah. That’s why I said they’ll get involved if they have a specific connection to a recruit, but I doubt they’ll play a huge role in recruiting. They can really only be counted on for 2020 recruits since they’ll likely be gone before a 2021 guy commits and we’ve already established relationships with most of our 2020 targets at this point.

6 hours ago, CastHorn said:

Also Kate has no ass, stop posting her for the olds. Mother fuckers born after 1989 like women who arent built like a blunt. 

Listen, lets ignore for a second that there is a real good shot that most of the regular posters on the recruiting board are around 40 or older. That aside...why the fuck would you propose messing with something that is clearly working? Whats your next suggestion, we bench Ehlinger for Jared Wiley?

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, GRHorn said:

That’s a pretty hot take.

By comparison, Tisdale peaked at 158 overall and fell all the way to the 300s and #44 in Texas overall. He also didn’t have near the offers as a Senior that Stone does before his Junior year. That’s to say nothing of the film difference imo.

It sounds like you’re essentially projecting a Garrett Gilbert type trajectory for an elite QB. It will be interesting to follow.

I have a hard time getting worked up about sophomores, really. There are very rare instances in which a guy is so obviously head and shoulders above everyone else at his spot after his sophomore year that the cycle should be shut down at his position. In the instance of Stone, you’re telling me here that I’m not just wrong, but with a “hot take” reference, I’m coming from a place of laughable ignorance. Then you compare my view of him to what happened to Garrett Gilbert. There were like two of us on the boards, pretty much across all of them, that thought Gilbert was overrated and had bust written all over him. So, okay, if this is another Gilbert situation, then my take is the only one here that isn’t “hot”. Well, me and fucking futureman, which is always the company I like to keep. 

If this is just a rankings disparity thing, then don’t get hung up on it. Compare him to Gunnell, then. Mostly, I’m thinking about a guy that the local $9.95ers loved out of DFW early on, and wanted Texas to take ahead of other guys that emerged. It’s not about how highly one or another is ranked, since I haven’t even looked at a 2021 list yet, as it will be utterly worthless to do so. 

He's got that duck and spin move that JFF used.  That's where the comps come from IMO.
I don;t care where he got it from.  But if you don't think Stone's moves look like JFF (hell he even wears #2), then you also probably don't think Greta Van Fleet is trying to sound like Led Zeppelin.  
Perfect JFF comp.
His name is Manziel.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen, lets ignore for a second that there is a real good shot that most of the regular posters on the recruiting board are around 40 or older. That aside...why the fuck would you propose messing with something that is clearly working? Whats your next suggestion, we bench Ehlinger for Jared Wiley?

kate-beckinsale-love-friendship-press-co

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

The big butt people have gotten more and more strident in imposing their chonky beauty standards on the recruiting board lately. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

The big butt people have gotten more and more strident in imposing their chonky beauty standards on the recruiting board lately. 

No, you old motherfuckers like your women with asses the likes of pre-teens. I'm a grown ass man, I need a little cushion.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TexasToast said:

Uhhh, someone photoshopped her face on.  See how tilted it is.  Her forehead is taller on camera right. 

Edit:  Sydney beat me to it and has a discerning eye that all of you could learn from.  Act like you've seen a pair before.

Edited by nycHorn
  • Like 1