Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

New Texas rankings for 247 (non-composite). These are going to be very controversial.

1. Evans

2. Sanders

3. Demas

4. McClellan

5. Garth

6. Jackson

7. King

8. Jones

9. Smith-Njigba

10. Ty'kieast Crawford

11. Hornsby

12. Mickens

13. Card

14. Lindberg

15. Dorbah

16. Achane

17. Hayes

18. Johnston

19. Collins

20. Bryant

21. Alford

22. McGowan

23. Mims

24. Broughton

25. Rogers

26. Jerrin Thompson

27. Omeire

28. Chris Thompson, Jr.

29. Kevontre Bradford

30. Kimber

31. White

32. Majors

33. McGlothern

34. Parr

35. Ogunbiyi

36. Sylvester

37. EJ Smith

38. Ford

39. Gums

40. Crhistian Gonzalez

41. Watts

43. Helm

44. Branard Wright

45. Snow

46. Lorando Johnson

47. Scott

48. George

50. Henderson

51. Eaton

54. DJ Graham

58. Bryson Washington

59. Kelvontay Dixon

69. Ty Jordan

70. Jordan Jefferson

72. Princely

83. Devin Price

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m confused. In the rankings it says athlete, but in his profile it says dual which I presume means dual threat qb?

I'm assuming Drew Sanders is going to be another one of those jumbo WR/TE dudes they like to kill us with ala Mark Andrews/Grant Calcaterra.

1 minute ago, Scholz said:

I'm assuming Drew Sanders is going to be another one of those jumbo WR/TE dudes they like to kill us with ala Mark Andrews/Grant Calcaterra.

Sure. But he doesn't even play that position right now and he's the #2 ranked player in the state and the number 14 overall player in the nation. There is some definite dissonance between his ranking, where he projects, and his proficiency at that projected position. Who would you rather have, Drew Sanders or Johnny Wilson? Because Wilson fell 11 spots to number 32 overall, 18 spots below Sanders. I'd rather have the guy who is a good WR than the guy who you hope is going to be a good WR. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Hodges Mitchell threw an F bomb out during his presentation in Management 335/336 cannot remember the exact number . It was fucking glorious. 

I remember having Hodges in one of my classes. I think it was the intro management class, but I’m not positive. There have definitely been players in the B-school, but they’re few and far between. 

14 hours ago, Napoleon said:

All three of these guys went to St. Mark's in Dallas, so they definitely went to college to play school.

Kalen picked up his MBA from Stanford (I believe) after retiring from the NFL and worked with NIKE the last I heard.

Sam picked up his MBA from Thunderbird in Phoenix and according to the Wiki, Manny was a Sports Management major in college and "On February 20, 2015, Emmanuel took time off from his graduate studies at the University of Texas and flew to Purcellville, VA..." (from Wiki), so Manny's getting a masters in something. (Probably already has it by now.)

Not only three very smart guys, but all came to college with an understanding of what it took to excel in a competitive academic environment.

1 hour ago, pacman said:

Manny was in the Kinesiology program for undergrad and graduate.

Sport management is a major within the Department of Kinesiology and Health Education which is under the umbrella of the College of Education.

IT on Dorbah

FRESH PRINCE 

Texas has a clear picture for OL recruiting in the 2020 cycle. That picture is almost as clear on the defensive line with Highland Park’s Prince Dorbah being one of the main targets for the Longhorns’ defensive staff.

Dorbah is one of many two-sport athletes Texas has recruited both in this and in previous cycles. Dorbah works as a forward for the Scots and calls himself a slasher. “Get in the paint and get some dunks,” Dorbah said.

As a result, his playing weight for basketball is lower than his playing weight for football. His Hudl page listed his football measurables at 6-foot-4, 225 pounds. He told reporters Sunday he is actually 6-foot-2, 210 pounds.

Texas is making a strong push for Dorbah. He said Sunday the Longhorns are pushing in his recruitment right now and recruiting him harder than any other school. He also noted the quality of classes Tom Herman has brought in and how it portends well for Texas’ future.

“I feel like Texas is building something special up there,” Dorbah said. “They’ve got a lot of good players. They have a lot of good classes coming up. It should be fun to see what happens in the near future.”

Dorbah explained why the Longhorns were in such a good spot.

“Just the relationships, the relationship I’ve built with coach Herman and all the coaching staff,” Dorbah said. “They treat me like family. That’s one thing I look for when I got to a place. I make sure I can feel like its home and if I can see myself there and all that. It’s one thing they’re doing a good job at.”

Because of his skillset, Dorbah understands he could play in several different spots in college. In a 3-4 system like Todd Orlando’s he sees himself as a rush linebacker. In a 4-3 system, he knows he’s probably a defensive end.

Highland Park’s basketball season is currently the focus for Dorbah, so he hasn’t scheduled a return trip to Austin for the spring. He said he plans to try and trim his list to five over the summer and commit before the 2019 season.

23 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

I remember having Hodges in one of my classes. I think it was the intro management class, but I’m not positive. There have definitely been players in the B-school, but they’re few and far between. 

Hodges Mitchell, I think, lead the nation for the number of big hits taken by a little guy. He was always getting rocked.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Hodges Mitchell, I think, lead the nation for the number of big hits taken by a little guy. He was always getting rocked.

No doubt. I felt bad for that guy. He was pretty tough, though. Glad he got a good education. Hope he was able to retain some of it. 

Was it he who had his knee taken out in the Holiday Bowl against Oregon? I hated Oregon after that game. 

56 minutes ago, Machinator said:

New Texas rankings for 247 (non-composite). These are going to be very controversial.

Hide contents

1. Evans

2. Sanders

3. Demas

4. McClellan

5. Garth

6. Jackson

7. King

8. Jones

9. Smith-Njigba

10. Ty'kieast Crawford

11. Hornsby

12. Mickens

13. Card

14. Lindberg

15. Dorbah

16. Achane

17. Hayes

18. Johnston

19. Collins

20. Bryant

21. Alford

22. McGowan

23. Mims

24. Broughton

25. Rogers

26. Jerrin Thompson

27. Omeire

28. Chris Thompson, Jr.

29. Kevontre Bradford

30. Kimber

31. White

32. Majors

33. McGlothern

34. Parr

35. Ogunbiyi

36. Sylvester

37. EJ Smith

38. Ford

39. Gums

40. Crhistian Gonzalez

41. Watts

43. Helm

44. Branard Wright

45. Snow

46. Lorando Johnson

47. Scott

48. George

50. Henderson

51. Eaton

54. DJ Graham

58. Bryson Washington

59. Kelvontay Dixon

69. Ty Jordan

70. Jordan Jefferson

72. Princely

83. Devin Price

Washington and Princely are the ones I don't get 

Looking at the 247 update, it just reminds me of how much changes in a 12 month time period. I read it and then more or less dismissed it. There's so much agenda pushing going on in those rooms right now that it's not worth much thought exploration. That considering, holy shit do I disagree with some of their work on that list. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

If that is the case you were in my class. I want to say from memory it was a lesbian coach looking women teaching it. It must have been 18-19 years ago. 

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Ty'kieast Crawford skyrockets up to #69 overall and number 10 in the state. 

Hudson Card up to 91

Lindberg down to 96 and 3rd ranked OT in the state behind Garth and Crawford

Guess moving to #10 in State was a factor in Crawford de-commit from waco school.....

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2019/02/26/baylor-loses-commit-2020-recruiting-class

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Guess moving to #10 in State was a factor in Crawford de-commit from waco school.....

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2019/02/26/baylor-loses-commit-2020-recruiting-class

He's been on flip watch to Arkansas for a while

Edited by texifornia

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Looking at the 247 update, it just reminds me of how much changes in a 12 month time period. I read it and then more or less dismissed it. There's so much agenda pushing going on in those rooms right now that it's not worth much thought exploration. That considering, holy shit do I disagree with some of their work on that list. 

Care to share 3 or 4 players whose new rankings you disagreed with the most Ctj??

Just now, C'Mon Man said:
Spoiler

247 is releasing their new national rankings today. With it amounting to an instate top 25 or so I wanted to get mine out as well. I plan on extending this to 100 by mid-March and then to write something up on the 2021 class by the end of March. That should be fun.

The top three is easy for me, the next 5-10 are difficult, then the tier after that is very difficult, especially with it being so early and still getting familiar with these players as people and not chess pieces.

I could have placed 20 people in the 'next five' section and felt good about each.

The first seven have a case for five-star. Maybe #8 too if you consider athlete a position.

1. RB Zach Evans, North Shore: Explosive to and through the hole. Powerful. Elusive. Home run speed. Sometimes it's too easy for him. Limited wear and tear.

2. WR Demond Demas, Tomball - A&M: Hard to find a more complete outside receiver. Plays big and small (in a good way). Explosive on the ground or in the air. Terrific ball skills and hands. Smooth gait, no forced motion.

3. DL Vernon Broughton, Cy Ridge: Lengthier Solomon Thomas with his feet and mobility, just not as nuanced. Basketball skills translate and the fact he's spent limited time in the weight room speak to his upside. He'll move the same way he does now at 290 pounds.

4. ATH Drew Sanders, Denton Ryan - Oklahoma: Is he Leighton Vander Esch or a mutant tight end? At this point it's too early to tell, but who cares? OU will probably use him at TE because that's what they do but in olden times he'd play both ways.

5. RB Jase McClellan, Aledo - Oklahoma: Great build to absorb and deliver shots. Good feet, vision and patience, and fast enough to put it in a different gear on the second level. Defenses need to hit him before he gets started as he's a bit of a build-up runner.

6. DL Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek: Explosive for a SDE/4i. Basketball length and movement skills translate. Fluid, bendy, and all that. He's going to be a plus pass rusher at 275 pounds. Tons of growth potential remains.

7. OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek: Not quite a dancing bear but a mauling one with good enough feet to give right tackle a go. Powerful run blocker with ability to play low. Pretty good in space.

8. ATH Ja'Quinden Jackson, Duncanville: This will be low to many but I prefer clean fits. I do like his leadership and toughness and feel like he'll make a great linebacker. Good size and short area explosiveness as well as speed to chase in space. He could be a receiver as well, but then I'd have to understand his fit within that offense better to see if he should be moved up or down.

9. WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin: The beautiful thing about a big outside target with ability after the catch is he'll always have a fit.

10. DB Jaylon Jones, Cibolo Steele - A&M: He's had his issues with consistency at corner but he has the length and explosiveness you can't teach. High ceiling player whose upside might increase if he gets bigger and moves to safety.

11. OL Jaylen Garth, Port Neches-Groves - Texas: Understanding growth trends -- how far a player has come in a certain amount of time -- is often telling. Garth has told the world in the last two years he's going to work to improve as a technician as well as work in the weight room. He has the potential to be a very athletic left tackle who looks more like an athlete than a big ugly.

12. LB Prince Dorbah, Highland Park: Explosive edge rusher. Not tall, but get-off, bend, and lengthy stride get him to the quarterback in a hurry. Exceptionally coordinated and light on his feet to play the short zone. Pass rush repertoire needs to be maximized to keep o-linemen from leaning on him. Needs to develop much more lower body strength to hold up versus the run.

13. DB Chris Thompson, Duncanville: Plays a downhill brand of safety. Where he ends up signing should be factored into his ranking. What will be misconstrued as bias comes down to fit. I'd like him in the BJ Foster role more than patrolling the back-end. He won't be ideal for every scheme but if you want to take a linebacker off the field to add more speed he's your guy.

14. DB Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek: Can play deep or closer to the LOS in man. High field intelligence with good ball skills. Will be a bigger striker as soon as his body catches up with his want-to -- similar to Michael Huff in that regard. Ability to play nickel bumps his ranking.

15. DL Princely Umanmielen, Manor: It's not about what you are, it's about what you're going to be. His improvement from sophomore to junior year is highly encouraging. So too is his length (that he's beginning to understand how to use) and size. He's going to be a full grown man in college. Similar evaluation/projection to T'Vondre Sweat.

16. QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis - Texas: Above average arm and athleticism. In a high school scheme that will expedite his learning curve in college. Longer motion than desired but gets through it quickly. Ball comes out consistently and tight. Good accuracy in the pocket and on the move. Questions of weight will be answered one peanut butter sandwich at a time.

17. RB Seth McGowan, Mesquite Poteet: Explosive and powerful downhill runner, but not the most innate or natural. Profiles as a high beta runner with a mix of big runs, thanks to straight-line speed, and missed opportunities due to questionable fluidity and lateral ability. He should go to OU.

18. OL Garrett Hayes, Athens: Quick and athletic off the line with good pad level, though a bit of a waist bender (lurches some). As nasty as they come which really shows against inferior competition. Keeps his feet moving through contact, probably so he can clean his spikes on your jersey after he knocks you down. Totaled nearly 1600 pounds as a power lifter as a sophomore. Mom hooped at A&M where you can see horses from the field house.

19. RB Devon Achane, Fort Bend Marshall: Time for some cliches. The wisp of smoke is lightning in a bottle and hard to tackle in a phone booth. What I like about him is, though he's shifty, he takes the fastest route to the end zone. Close quarters quickness, fluidity, quick feet, a low center of gravity, and long speed make him tough to defend in space. Some Bralon Addison to his game. Fit will be important for him.

20. OL Jake Majors, Prosper - Texas: Very high floor thanks to great technique and the one trait that you either have or you don't, nastiness. Understands leverage and aiming points which allows him to play bigger than he is. The main question is, what's his ceiling? Could be a center.

21. QB Haynes King, Longview: Great intangibles with solid athleticism and arm strength. Physical growth potential is there to improve already good traits. Competitive and smart.

22. WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Rockwall - Ohio State: Have been a fan since he was a freshman. Wins a lot of snaps before the ball is even in the air. Explosive stem off the line catches DB's flat-footed and by then he's in complete control. Explosive out of cuts. Has 'take the top off' speed but also possession receiver skills. Highly productive with intangibles.

23. ATH EJ Smith, Dallas Jesuit: Those who overrate 40 times typically underrate change of direction. What's the point of being fast if you can't get to open space? Smith has the latter in abundance, as well as great vision and feel. He also has great hands. I hope he finds the perfect offense to take advantage of his varied skill-set.

24. OL Logan Parr, O'Connor - Texas: Good body mechanics and size for the interior. Uses hands very well. Good feet for guard. Like Majors he's interior specific and could play center. Also like Majors, he's always looking for work -- don't stand around the pile.

25. LB Robert Wooten, Stafford: Explodes out of his stance and is ripping through the o-lineman in an instant. Good length at 6-foot-3 but great build to easily carry 250+ pounds. Bends and runs the arc well, but he can be an effective interior stunter with the size to play the run. Great closing speed with noticeable acceleration when he needs it.

Next Five:

26. OL Ty'Kieast Crawford, Carthage
27. DB Bryson Washington, C.E. King
28. OL Courtland Ford, Cedar Hill
29. QB Malik Hornsby, Fort Bend Marshall
30. OL Andrej Karic, Southlake Carroll

Drawing this out to 100 will be much easier than limiting it to 25 or 30.

• Like 1

Sure. But he doesn't even play that position right now and he's the #2 ranked player in the state and the number 14 overall player in the nation. There is some definite dissonance between his ranking, where he projects, and his proficiency at that projected position. Who would you rather have, Drew Sanders or Johnny Wilson? Because Wilson fell 11 spots to number 32 overall, 18 spots below Sanders. I'd rather have the guy who is a good WR than the guy who you hope is going to be a good WR. 

Not sure that’s a fair comparison. Sanders is really a TE, but plays multiple positions for Denton. 247 probably doesn’t categorize him as such because his limited snaps at TE. But he’s really fucking good (particularly when he plays TE) and I hope there a way to pull him.

23 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Damn Tosh Baker is #39 in country on the composite.

He’s why I said I’d be ok with taking 6 OL this cycle if he’s the sixth, although the more I see of the 2021 guys, I think I’d take that back. 2021 is so stacked.

regardless, that brings up an interesting question, would you rather have Milton (or even a guy like Robinson) + Tosh Baker, or Evans + George? I’m not sure what I would take, although I’d be more than happy with either.

My dream scenario would be George going to Bama and us pulling Evans with Baker as our 5th OL (or maybe Crawford. I haven’t seen any tape of him but he’s obviously blowing up). 

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Same.  All rankings a year out are useless but these ones seem particularly terrible. 247 seems like they’re getting worse and worse with their rankings and when combined with losing Scout’s own rankings , the composite also seems worse than it was even 2-3 years ago.

Sanders is an absolute freak who has potential to be a first round LB or TE. If he were in our class, we’d be losing our minds over him. Having said that, 14 does still seem a bit high but I don’t think it’s too far off.

It's like they put Evans #1, and then started drawing names out of a hat.

Edited by Beau Vine

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

If that is the case you were in my class. I want to say from memory it was a lesbian coach looking women teaching it. It must have been 18-19 years ago. 

No, then it was a different class. I do remember being in one of the UTC classrooms with him, though. Probably 1999-ish?