Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

16 minutes ago, satyanash said:

This would require taking $9.95-er reports at face value... $9.95-er websites put a positive spin on what they report all the time. Why do you think "drinking the Kool-Aid" becomes a thing during spring/summer workouts? Eric Nahlin straight-up said Texas will get a top 5 class at the beginning of this cycle. That's the kind of baseline we're working with with these reports.

You can make the case that it's more revealing when they occasionally report something in a negative fashion, because it's further from their default way of presenting information.

I'd feel the same way if you ever posted something remotely positive.

4 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Bijan's Hudl page says he's 210; 247 has him listed at 200. Either way, he's not exactly as small as I had always assumed he was just from hearing him described. Land him, and I'm completely fine with missing out on the Evans drama, especially since George as the "plus one" always seemed like a drag on that ticket anyway.

Yeah, the whole George thing had soured me on Evans anyway.  If I had any confidence in getting Bijan, today would not even be a blip on the radar.

But Drayton though...

Edited by cochamps

Losing Evans would suck but I'm less concerned because I believe we have a coach that can actually game plan such that we don't need 10 5*'s in our 22.  

That said it would be nice to have an Evans type talent to bail us out against the one "Maryland" game Herman seems to have every year.

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Losing Evans sucks but I'm less concerned because I believe we have a coach that can actually game plan such that we don't need 10 5*'s in our 22.  

That said it would be nice to have an Evans type talent to bail us out against the one "Maryland" game Herman seems to have every year.

Fixed. Dude isn’t circling back after those comments.

When does the devaluation of RBs in the NFL hit college recruiting? Gone are the days of the 30 carry/game workhorse. Running backs that succeed in the NFL need to be able to run routes, catch the ball, pass block, etc. With that being said, I don’t understand would a 18yo RB with NFL dreams would sign up to play in some shitty dur dur “pound the rock” dur dur offense (looking at you LSU and Georgia). Hell, Georgia barely used Nick Chubb as a receiver and then all of the sudden he’s catching 5 passes a game for the Browns. They misused him while he was in school. Schools that feature their RBs in the passing game are going to see their players drafted earlier. 

11 hours ago, satyanash said:

Eric Nahlin: Texas misses the cut for Zach Evans

Reveal hidden contents

Got off the phone with someone dialed into North Shore pretty good. Here's what I've learned from that conversation and many others over the last year.

A post of mine from the Prospect Board. Top five in order of confidence of making it: Bama, Georgia, LSU

Not so sure: Ole Miss, Ohio State, Tennessee, Texas, OU

1. I don't give this top-five as much credence as I give others. Why? Well, I mean, he's been pretty indecisive in the recent past with visits. It's been reported he intends to visit Ole Miss soon and they didn't make the cut. His cousin is former Manvel running back and current Rebel D'Vaughn Pennamon

2. The source today said it wouldn't surprise him if Evans didn't list Texas "and it also wouldn't surprise me if he signed with Texas."

3. "In my opinion, Texas hurt itself by not seeing him as much as other schools." It isn't my opinion, it's a fact that not all schools observe the amount of visits allowed during the spring evaluation period. That genuinely hurt Texas.

4. As recently as two weeks ago I heard OU was outside of the top-five and LSU wasn't spoken very highly of. I don't see him at OU but the LSU news was surprising. This is more like it and I think LSU is right there along with Bama.

5. Go to OU! That would help shake Jase McClellan loose. Of course other schools would then pursue Jase harder. I do not see Evans going to OU under any circumstance. I just can't see it.

6. There's some feeling at North Shore that these prospects don't want to play with the Duncanville kids. I'm not sure how widely held that belief is, but, "these kids would be unstoppable together, they should want to play together."

7. The package deal with Damieon George is still possible. They have a lot of overlap here, though George didn't list LSU to me recently. Again, that was odd possibly these two playing games.

8. When we tell you guys to focus on other recruits, as we did recently at running back, your expectations should drop quite a bit. Texas is in good shape for Bijan Robinson and still has a chance to flip Jase McClellan. Both will OV and both are RB1's. I'm confident Texas will land an RB1.

9. This will be a wake-up call for the staff, assuming they still want on this ride. If they start offering some more OL it could be a tell.

10. This isn't the one to get too worked up over, but feel free if that's your style.

image.png

We look like Aggies now talking about recruits, Justin. 

As long as it does not have any spill over effect on any of our other recruits who are lined up to commit this summer, it’s better to know now than be Trey Sandered on NSD. Stan Drayton has one  job now in recruiting and that’s to make sure we don’t fuck it up with our top target. 

10 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

What are the backup plans if the wheels really come off at RB and we miss on Evans, and Bijan? Any other offers out there? I'm guessing it'd just be for depth and change focus to '21 and tell Drayton to get lost. 

offers: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2020-Football/Offers/

• EJ Smith
  • Ty Jordan
  • Evans
  • Kendall Milton
  • Bijan Robinson
  • Ashaad Johnson
  • Seth McGowan
  • Sam Adams II
  • Dominic Richardson (committed to TCU)

Some of those dudes are pretty heavily linked to other schools but that is the listof guys who are uncommitted. only made 14 total offers at RB...not sure how many ATH with offers are considered RBs, if any.

10 hours ago, texifornia said:

Honestly, I'm just so proud to have been a part of one of the biggest pet's heads falling off days I've ever seen on this board

8 hours ago, Harry Ellis said:

The Great Memorial Day Weekend Meltdown of 2019 is going strong.

MindlessSatisfiedCleanerwrasse-size_rest

I realize some of you guys have to be the coolest kids in school and shit, but there are appropriate times when following this or anything else in which someone can react to the downturn. It’s been a terrible few day’s to follow this shit. 

All of the dorks who love John Woo movies where the hero casually walks away as the explosions happen behind him will vehemently disagree, and then quietly sob into a pillow while watching Mission Impossible 2 on repeat. Have at it. 

• Haha 1

Couple of thoughts

I don't see how the number one goal for this program isn't to win the conference championship and make ou wander the desert for a decade. Yeah, having (insert whatever number you want that doesn't include hardware) win seasons will only get us so far but further delay the timeline on any sort of return to success. Joe Cook actually talked about it in the last podcast with @OnAComputer, and I'm starting to come to believe it. Fuck aggy, they're mostly irrelevant to what we need to be doing. Fuck getting sucked into all the secX3 bs. There's nothing that can overcome this until we start winning conference championships. Everything starts with waging a war against those fuck heads up north. 

It's amazing to me the things that I point out and people will excuse it away. I remember during the '18 class, before we landed Ingram, questioning the recruiting abilities of Drayton. My understanding was that he was brought on as the rainmaker for recruiting, because of his time in the NFL and the guys he's coached. People at the time wanted to give him a pass as it looked like we were getting Ingram and see what he could do with Cain and Sanders. This isn't a "I told you so" point I'm trying to make. Rather, restate the obvious in the fact that we need a rainmaker not named Carrington who can actually go off campus. Right now every big recruit is tied to position coach and/or coach with a connection. Not a bad strategy but having a strong closer that knows how to close is how you win these types of recruitments (after, of course, winning conference titles.) Maybe it's time to expand Washington's role but it's all window dressing when you have more "great coach/ bad recruiter" types in addition to the "I know why he's here but... he shouldn't be" instead of ace recruiters. 

Losing out on Evans, as I see it,  is a shot to our pride more than a step back in the direction we're headed. Yes, we need all the 5* we can get. McCoy leaving would suck. Missing out on all these high profile RBs would suck more. But I think we can still win our conference without those guys. Having them does make it easier and sets us up for national title aspirations. Only problem is we're (channeling inner billinsinton or whoever it was) lacking focusness. Beat ou at every opportunity. Crawl before walk. Everything else falls into place after that. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I realize some of you guys have to be the coolest kids in school and shit, but there are appropriate times when following this or anything else in which someone can react to the downturn. It’s been a terrible few day’s to follow this shit. 

All of the dorks who love John Woo movies where the hero casually walks away as the explosions happen behind him will vehemently disagree, and then quietly sob into a pillow while watching Mission Impossible 2 on repeat. Have at it. 

I'm so grateful that you're here to tell us which reactions are appropriate and which ones aren't. This place would be lost without you.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Neither is Georgia, kids. They can’t even beat Texas. 

Yeah, but... and how can I put this... Texas only barely beat Georgia, and that's pretty much a loss.  Plus, and I don't really know how to say this, but.... Georgia got left out of the playoff and, who knows, they might have won the whole damn thing!?  So anyway, Georgia is in my Top 5.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Yep.  This recruiting season is getting fun now.  We will get ours and have a top 10, maybe top 5 class.  The North Shore pair can work at a Pasadena, Baton Rouge or Athens Wendy's if their NFL careers don't pan out.  I am not sure if Tuscaloosa has a Wendy's.  Former Texas players connecting with Texas Exes likely do better in the long game of life, networking and business, but it  is not a "my family" decision so whatever will be will be.  

*Waffle House

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

That's some pretty strong bulletin board material Evans putting out there... likely see that put on a wall before LSU game.

There is a long way until NSD1.... Texas just needs to take care of business and "barely" beat LSU like they did Georgia 

Yeah. Plenty of time for Evans to come to his senses.

Ain't got dick to do with any damn Natties or what the fuck ever. What, LSU is closer? Oklahoma with that shit defense and all their OL and QBs gone?

Bottom line: Those five schools have been putting RBs and/or OLs out early in the drafts, among other positions. Just say it, kid, you think those schools give you the best shot to get paid straight out of the gate. That's cool. 

Edited by UncleBuck

8 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

So if Texas were to be undefeated come NSD1, would Ringo and Evans suddenly have a different understanding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not saying Texas can't win back to back championships, just at the moment they're not quite there."

It's laughable at this point.  

• Like 1

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

"I'm not saying Texas can't win back to back championships, just at the moment they're not quite there."

It's laughable at this point.  

“Who Texas?” — Najee Harris before fading into Alabama obscurity for 2 years. 

I have a hard time reading this Evans deal, but I do know I cannot lose. Or be destroyed. Either this guy is all over the place and Texas lands him at the end of the bidding war, and I’ll be happy, or he’ll grab that bag and I’ll happily root against him and his interests wherever he lands in the SEC. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

So if Texas were to be undefeated come NSD1, would Ringo and Evans suddenly have a different understanding?

Well, Georgia is straight up paying players, so if it’s Georgia, they’re dirty. Wins and losses (obviously) have nothing to do with it since we made them our bitch. 

23 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it would just give the $9.95ers a clickbait story that would write itself.....guys I cant give out all the details yet but what I can say is things are trending up with UT.

Texas has given them something to think about.  I'll explain all after NSD!!!

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

I heard that Evans didn’t even know who his top 5 were as he walked over to his phone to make that tweet. He almost tweeted that he was committing to Texas. That’s how close it was. 

Somewhat surprised at the level of meltdown on here over Evans. I mean, I get it, it sucks, but I'm not sure why we've been repeating a mantra of don't believe shit this kid says to the media for about 3-4 months now...and then when he drops a top 5 that, clearly, was constructed to troll Texas fans, we lose our collective minds. I don't know if it's the Bru hangover, or what, but I didn't expect this level of melt. I read his top 5 and just immediately dismissed him for another couple months. This guy has left us off lists and quotes before. I don't know if the Milton rumors actually mean anything, or not, in regards to his recruitment, and something actually has changed, or this is more of Evans's bullshit. The 9.95ers seem to think something has shifted and we're trending down, but then again that's mostly Justin Wells who doesn't know shit and knee-jerks almost as hard as Satya.

So Evans is tied to the hip with George, and yet he still is most likely going to stay in close proximity to home which makes half his top five bullshit anyway. So what has changed? Nothing. We still pursue Robinson first and foremost and try to flip McClellan. If we take care of business in the fall, we'll be back on his list. If Keontray Ingram goes completely apeshit this fall, we'll be back on his list. If anything, people should be freaking out more and putting to final rest the notion that Stan Drayton is worth a goddamn thing. Or the other holes we have in this staff. Or Herman being so fucking stubborn he can't walk a simple line between a little bit of coddling star players versus calling them pussies the second they step on campus. 

The only thing that has been revealed to us, which most people probably knew, is that if we're not going to pay, we're not going to get most of these kids until a.) We win on the field b.) start putting these kids in the NFL or c.) construct a bulletproof narrative against the "Texas isn't there" bullshit that people keep espousing against us. Not allowing Georgia to turn an ass-whipping into a Texas negative. A narrative that works against our "weak" conference. I mean, we should have had that last part fixed 2 years ago, but I guess we still haven't figured it out. But none of this goes away until we win on the field and put guys in the league. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Somewhat surprised at the level of meltdown on here over Evans.

You're surprised that Texas boards are melting down due to being left out of the top five for the #1 recruit in the nation, who happens to live in Texas?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He posted something on Instagram and that makes him a malcontent?

He's a strong Georgia lean, but people are reading too much into a random teenager's social media comment

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

You're surprised that Texas boards are melting down due to being left out of the top five for the #1 recruit in the nation, who happens to live in Texas?

Yes. I am. Because it happens to be that this is the same recruit we've been waxing philosophical about as a troll, a guy who says anything to get a reaction out of schools, and is a circus with money on the table. For literally months now. Why are we taking anything he says seriously when we honestly haven't been for months now? Literally a month ago this board was expressing fatigue with this kid and cheering to just land Robinson instead and pursue Evans till the end. So literally nothing has changed. It sucks, yes, but to me it isn't "5 star recruit who was on campus and played in our spring game is leaving to go back to a fucking Dumpster Fire of a program" sucks or "5 pages of I Can't Believe This Happened!" suck. 

Which one of you wants to stand up and elicit surprise that Oscar Giles and Stan Drayton aren't closing on high ranked recruits?

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Yes. I am. Because it happens to be that this is the same recruit we've been waxing philosophical about as a troll, a guy who says anything to get a reaction out of schools, and is a circus with money on the table. For literally months now. Why are we taking anything he says seriously when we honestly haven't been for months now? Literally a month ago this board was expressing fatigue with this kid and cheering to just land Robinson instead and pursue Evans till the end. So literally nothing has changed. It sucks, yes, but to me it isn't "5 star recruit who was on campus and played in our spring game is leaving to go back to a fucking Dumpster Fire of a program" sucks or "5 pages of I Can't Believe This Happened!" suck. 

Which one of you wants to stand up and elicit surprise that Oscar Giles and Stan Drayton aren't closing on high ranked recruits? 

If someone had asked me how I'd expect the boards to react if Evans left Texas out of his top five and then blasted the program in a memeable quote, melting down is what my response would have been 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He posted something on Instagram and that makes him a malcontent?

It's what he posted. He's glamorizing Evans's shot at Texas. 

Kid was hosted on the 40 Acres for his entire Spring Break. He doesn't have to pick Texas, but he certainly could act with a little bit more class.

• Like 1