Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

He's out. Balkan from Southlake will be wearing UT polos during finals week. We good.

I doubt a Bosnian kid will have concerns about being too soft, that's for sure.

EDIT: Speaking of, look who just noticed him

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

Probably been pieced together here, but Roach has updated the visitors for the next two weeks: 

Spoiler

June 14th

S Lathan Ransom, Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic - Official 
LB Prince Dorbah, Highland Park - Official 
QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis - official 
LB Derrick Harris Jr., New Caney - unofficial 
RB Jase McClellan, Aledo (maybe)

June 21st

RB Bijan Robinson, Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic - Official 
WR Johnny Wilson, Calabasas (CA) - Official 
DE Tunmise Adeleye, Katy Tompkins - Unofficial 
LB Kalel Mullings, Boston (MA.) Milton Academy 
LB Clayton Smith - Texas High - unofficial 
CB Kitan Crawford, John Tyler - Official 
CB Jahari Rogers, Arlington - Official 
CB Kelee Ringo, Scottsdale (Az.) Saguaro - Unofficial (Maybe) 
S Bryson Washington, C.E. King - Official 
ATH Jaden Hullaby, Bishop Dunne - Unofficial 
ATH Landon Hullaby, Bishop Dunne - Unofficial

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

You read that urban dictionary post and politics was the part that disgusted you? 

♪He's not into Santorum; he only cares about crystal balls. He'd spend a million dollars for Bama to gargle his balls. ♪

• Like 3

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/06/open-post-weekend-june-14th-16th/

Visitor News | 2020 DE Riyad Wilmot
– Charlie S

Texas is hosting to 2020 DL offer Riyad Wilmot out of St Thomas Aquinas in Fort Lauderdale Florida for an unofficial visit which began Wednesday and continuing until (Today) Friday.

Wilmot is at 6’3″ 250 lbs and he currently holds around a dozen offers from the likes of Kentucky, Pitt and Boston College to name a few.

Riyad let me know that he has already visited Pitt and Kentucky and he would ideally like to commit prior to the season.

When I asked him about his thoughts on Texas and the staff, Riyad said “Texas is fantastic. Coach Giles and I have been developing our relationship which is great.” He added, “I wanted to come to see the school and meet the rest of the coaching staff for myself, I’ve heard great things about it”.

I asked him where Coach Giles has talked about using him in their scheme and he said, ” They are looking at me as a versatile guy who can play multiple spots along the line.”

I plan on touching base with Riyad over the phone following the visit to get his reaction and thoughts.

Josh White | Quick-Update | Texas Still on the Case
– Super K

In the race for 2020 LB, Josh White (Cy Creek), Texas came in second to LSU for his commitment.

But behind the scenes, Texas hasn’t given up on the 4-star linebacker.

I have asked around and it sounds like Josh White plans on coming sometime soon for an official visit.

Josh has yet to confirm the trip but I’d imagine that is by design given his current commitment status. But again, I do believe he will get in for an official sometime before the summer dead period begins.

Brennon Scott | Top List | Visits & Decision
– Super K

Earlier this week, 2020 LB, Brennon Scott (Bishop Dunne) dropped his top five which included USC, Auburn, Kansas, Oregon and of course…Texas.

Scott was originally eying a fall decision but he tells me that he’d now like to get things wrapped up before the summer.

I asked him about visit schedule and when he’d be taking his official visit to Texas.

“I don’t know. Man, I was trying to go in July but I saw the dead period for them is from June 24th to July 24th. So, I may have to take it July 26th”.

I asked him why he doesn’t just take the visit in June but it appears he has some scheduling conflicts, “Well, this month has been hectic…and my first officials are USC on the 18th. Second is Kansas on the 21st and I’m trying to schedule Auburn for the 26th of June”.

So, it looks like he’s trying to knock out his out of state official visits first. This should work out in Texas favor as the Horns will likely get his last or second to last official visit.

I still like Texas to ultimately win this one but won’t have any certainty until after these official visits.

Official Visitor List | June 14th – 16th
– Super K

Texas will host four official visitors this weekend. We’ve already reported on them but wanted to have them all in one place.

***Prince Dorbah – Dorbah, I believe, still has his LSU visit scheduled for next weekend. So, this may be the last time Dorbah is on campus before he makes a decision. He’s eyeing a summer decision. My guess is to look for something no later than July. Would obviously be great if they could seal him up this weekend and ask him to team up with J Jackson and start building this class.

***Hudson Card – Card says he will take his official visit this weekend. Can’t hurt having him on campus to recruit three of the top players in the country.

***Lathan Ransom – I think Texas has a punchers chance here and I would not have said that a couple weeks ago before his unofficial visit. I’d make the priority here, coach Herman spending as much time with Ransom and his family as possible. He’s noted to me that he has a strong relationship with coach O at LSU and coach Day at Ohio State. I believe that matters to him.

***Jase McClellan – Really don’t know how much of a chance Texas has in this one. Again, every time I’ve spoken to Jase, he seemed solid to OU. But anytime you have an in-state kid, there’s a big card to play there. The fact that he’s taking an OV says something. In the past when he’d visit Texas, it always seemed like he was just going along for the ride with a friend. This is intentional. We’ll see what it means, if anything, after the visit.

***One other note, not about this weekend, but was able to confirm 2020 DB Kelee RIngo plans on being in Austin for the Pool Party on June 22nd.

Lathan Ransom Visit | Preview | Return Visit
– Super K

2020 DB, Lathan Ransom (Tucson, AZ) is one of the most highly coveted safeties in the country. He’s big, fast, versatile, violent but not reckless, and he’s intelligent.

As I’ve said before, if you asked me a few weeks ago, whether Texas had a chance in this race, I would have said, unlikely.

But I spoke with Lathan after his visit to Texas which took place only two weeks ago and my opinion has changed. In fact, if you ask Ransom, he’d tell you that he didn’t expect to like Texas as much as he did. I would know because I asked him exactly that and he said, “They did (surprise me). That’s exactly what it is”.

On his first trip to Texas, Caden Sterns and some of the other Texas DBs really helped with Ransom.

“The best part I took away with me was getting to pick Caden Sterns’ brain. He was in the same situation I’m in a couple years ago and what made him decide Texas and how he handled everything”.

Ransom continued…

“He said he really liked coach Herman a lot and he wanted to stay home and help turn to around Texas, get that name of top DBU again”.

Ransom says that ultimately his decision is going to come down to comfort and relationships, relationships with players on campus, coaches, etc.

“My decision is going to come down to a little bit as far as the campus but it’s really about whether I feel comfortable and fit in with the players”.

Ransom said that connecting with Caden, Brandon Jones, and Josh Thompson, “helped a lot…they treated me like I was one of them”.

In terms of Lathan’s relationships with position coaches, he says his relationships with position coaches at all of his top five schools (Ohio State, Texas, OU, Notre Dame and LSU). are about the same. He said no one really stands out in that regard.

Where LSU and Ohio State have been able to separate themselves is in terms of his relationship with head coach, Coach Orgeron (LSU) and coach Day (Ohio State).

“I definitely have a really close connection with coach Day and coach O for LSU. Those are definitely two of my close connections with head coaches. All the position coaches I’m really close with. No one is really pulling away in that aspect. I have a good relationship with pretty much all of them”.

So what is he looking for on this weekend’s visit to Texas?

“I’d like to build a better relationship with coach Herman. I know he’s on the offensive side of the ball but it still would be nice to build a little better relationship with him. And then probably get a little more time with the players and ask them a couple more questions. I got a really good vibe for the city of Austin. I saw a lot more than I expected on an unofficial. I definitely can’t wait to get back and see a little more”.

Moving Forward

Ransom has taken his official visits to Oklahoma, LSU and Notre Dame. He will finish off the summer with this OV to Texas and then his last OV will be to Ohio State. He will be in Columbus next week.

After that, it sounds like the family will sit down and go over everything and I think we can expect to see a decision announced sometime in July.

As far who is standing out, I think of his top five Texas, Ohio State, Notre Dame and LSU are all running pretty close. OU is the one school that I sense has fallen behind a little.

When I spoke to Ransom after his first visit to Texas he was pretty candid about the fact that the upcoming official visits are going to have a pretty big impact on what he decides. As in, when it comes to those four schools I mentioned, they all have a real chance.

Texas needs a big performance this weekend. And, if I were Texas, I’d block off a lot of time for coach Herman to sit down with Lathan and his family.

Thirsty Thursday | Dynamic Duo, On Parr, New Offers & More
– Darius Terrell

Welcome back to another edition of Thirsty Thursdays! As always, I’m here to try to help quench your thirst for Longhorn Football in the drought of the offseason, along with other topics of interest in Longhorn sports this week.

With the Longhorns securing commitments from Duncanville QB Ja’Quinden Jackson and Dallas (Skyline) WR Quaydarius Davis, a lot of attention and credit has been given to Assistant WR Coach Ra’Shaad Samples, and rightfully so.

Similar to Texas Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington, Samples is very young with a ton of energy, he’s disarming and personable, he’s a minority coach in a sport that has flush with minority athletes, and he has a great reputation in the city that he is from. Without Samples on staff, Texas doesn’t have commitments from the aforementioned young men.

In 2018, it was Carrington that had a tremendous influence on a class that was dominated by the Longhorns in-state with an influx of top talent hailing from the Houston-area, where Carrington is from. It is very plausible that Texas does not land all of Jalen Green, Anthony Cook, D’Shawn Jamison, Brennan Eagles, Joseph Ossai, and Malcolm Epps without Carrington’s presence on staff.

Texas has a bit of a dynamic duo brewing and they have roots in the two of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. What Texas has done with Samples makes me wonder if it is something that we will see become more common in major College Football.

About a decade ago, College Basketball developed a problem. Universities were hiring the AAU or High School coaches of top prospects in order to secure their commitments. Eventually, the NCAA put a rule in place that eliminated that practice. What Texas Head Coach Tom Herman did by holding on to Samples, who was just finishing his playing career at Houston, was a move that I could see becoming the norm for major college programs.

What better way to develop relationships with major High School programs than having a family member of the coach on staff? Will coaches begin to target the sons of prominent High School coaches that may have an interest in coaching? It’s a win-win for the school. You get to bring a young mind on board with football pedigree and you get to gain a substantial advantage in building your roster.

Currently, there is nothing in the rule book that says that this is illegal and I appreciate Texas finding ways to be proactive and creative in a recruiting landscape that is as tough as it has ever been inside the borders of the Lone Star State. Things are about to heat up soon and Longhorn fans should be very excited.

Catching up with Logan Parr

After doing a similar piece on Jake Majors a few weeks ago, I thought that this week would be a great time to check in on Texas 2020 commit OL Logan Parr and pick his brain for an update.

You committed last October during your Junior season, how does the recruiting process for you compare now to how it was before you announced your decision?

“Before I committed back in October, the recruiting process for me was very stressful. Every night, it seemed like I was Facetiming or calling and talking to 5 or 6 coaches on top of trying to prepare for games during the season. After I committed, I got to focus on being the best person and athlete that I can be heading into college.”

Why Texas? What sold you on the program?

“Prior to making my decision, I created a journal that listed every offer that I had received with the pros and cons listed next to each one. I had every member of the coaching staff listed in the journal as well as the academic rankings for each university. After going through all of the data and information, I saw that Texas was clearly on top of the other schools on my list. I had a great connection with Coach Beck, Coach Hand, and Coach Herman and I really liked how personable each of them were.”

What do you think your strengths are as a player? What are some things that you believe you need to continue to work on?

I believe that my strengths as a player are being a smart, technically-sound Offensive Lineman that “gameplans” before each rep. I evaluate my competition and what the guy lined up across from me is giving me and what he has done prior in a game or at a camp. I really enjoy making Defensive Linemen wonder what I’m going to come at them with instead of allowing them to control how the rep is going to go.

Going into this summer, I need to continue to work on becoming stronger and faster. I feel like my upper body strength is stronger than what I have shown on the field (to this point), so I need to be able to translate that into my punch and pass set.”

Did things change for you socially at all after you committed? Do you feel any pressure to be a leader or stand out even more?

“Being committed to Texas brings a lot of attention and pressure to be the best on the field on every play, as well as being a great leader in my hometown. It’s really cool to see the community looking up to you, wishing you the best in the future, hoping that you make it big and standing beside you no matter what happens. The fan base of the University of Texas is incredible and it seems like almost no matter where I go I run into 5 or 6 people who know who I am and who wish me luck.”

Are you planning to be in town next weekend for the big pool party and is there any chance that you’ll be an early enrollee?

“I will be at the Heat Wave Pool Party next weekend and I will be a spring enrollee.”

Thoughts on clout#2020 and what’s to come?

“I believe that the 2020 class is picking up and is adding some key recruits who are going to be great at Texas. I can’t wait to go to college with them.”

• Like 3

In fact, if you ask Ransom, he’d tell you that he didn’t expect to like Texas as much as he did. I would know because I asked him exactly that and he said, “They did (surprise me). That’s exactly what it is”.

Exhibit A in "why you should never get worked up about a quote that a recruit gives to another school's recruiting program."

Recruiting 'reporter' dude - "Here's what I'd like you to say. Can you say that?"

Recruit - "Yeah, sure. Just write that." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Oh good. Fucking politics. A perfect ingredient to add to the recruiting board. God I hate the politics dorks on this site. Fucking bandwidth drains, all of them. 

oooooh  all the cloak room cry baby bitches are going to find you and call you names 

IT

By: Justin and Eric

STATE OF RECRUITING

We had a few questions we wanted answered either pertaining to this weekend or in general. We checked in with as many sources as we could to get some answers.

Motivation behind Hudson Card using his OV this specific weekend? He’s headed to California next weekend to visit family and won’t make the pool party. So he moved it up this weekend because UT wants him around commits/recruits as much as possible. Card of course is happy to oblige on the recruiting front.

How are things looking for Fort Bend Marshall speedster Devon Achane? Texas is eager to get the speedster on campus, who doesn’t make many appearances on college campuses. He might be a kid we see hit campus when the dead period ends in July. They should be able to secure an official visit, but likely not until the fall. He takes the process slower than most and Texas is fine working at his pace. Achane's recruitment is tied to Mookie Cooper's and Texas will be happy to take either one. Things still look good for Cooper, who handles the process differently than Achane. He's always on the move.

What is the status on defensive line recruiting? Vernon Broughton is still the big fish, who is OV’ing to Ohio State this weekend and Texas A&M next weekend. Once those wrap up, it’ll be interesting to see the Cy-Ridge defensive lineman’s next move. His sister’s recruitment will be something to follow. Broughton recently visited LSU but sources there don't think they did enough. He didn't have that look in his eye. Texas is still most likely but nobody is taking him for granted and the staff is pulling out all the stops.

Alfred Collins is hard to read. Doesn’t say much, and he knows Texas, A&M, and Alabama all want him. The feeling is he'll stick closer to home and UT is doing a fine job of recruiting him but nobody knows exactly what he's thinking.

Jalen Logan-Redding just feels like he’ll be in this class. Missouri is the main competition and it'll be tough to pry him from Columbia but they like him and are currently looking for contingencies. He's one to keep an eye on.

Josh White still coming in this weekend? Not this weekend, maybe not next either. But he’ll see Austin again. An official visit during the Texas/LSU weekend would make a lot of sense. Texas feels like they're in it, our stance is he has interest in UT still but the most likely outcome is he signs with LSU. That could evolve of course. [if the answer would have been 'yes' to Josh White coming in we wouldn't have written about him]

What's going on with offensive line recruiting? Andrej Karic from Southlake Carroll is a take. You can find better high school offensive linemen than him but the list of guys the staff feels will be better in college is pretty short. Texas is still recruiting Chad Lindberg, of course, but they’re taking all precautions since the supposed UT lean might not be leaning burnt orange as much as he was previously. They still like Nate Anderson and Herb Hand is still in contact but from our vantage they're waiting to see how Lindberg/Karic plays out.

WEEKEND VISITORS

LB Prince Dorbah, Highland Park (Dallas, TX) -- OV: He’s taking his official this weekend, which we mentioned a few weeks back. Dorbah has been relatively quiet in his recruitment; he’s great at focusing on his priorities and the media fanfare isn’t one of them. He’ll still see LSU this summer, but UT leads here and they have since January. There is a slight chance he'd come off of his timeline and decide sooner.

S Lathan Ransom, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ) -- OV: The first AZ-to-TX trip for the Ransoms was a success from the four-star family’s point of view. Texas hopes this visit brings the staff closer to his signature. He’ll get the red carpet treatment, he’ll be hosted by Brandon Jones and Josh Thompson. Caden Sterns will show him where he’ll play. And Craig Naivar will get one step closer to one of the biggest prospects in his career. In Ransom’s Top 5, we believe Texas is in his final two. His OV to Ohio State will tell us more than his post-OV in Austin. Ransom's right there for the taking. Curiously, our friend who is tied into the LSU staff pretty well was asking us about Ransom and Texas. That's a good sign. This recruitment jumps from 70% to 80% if Herman sticks the landing with Ransom and his family this weekend. A little time spent at Herman's house could go a long way.

RB Jase McClellan, Aledo (Aledo, TX) (OU commit) — OV: UT’s pursuit of the four-star tailback and two-time state champion has been quiet and more behind the scenes than most pursuits. It'll be like that when a recruit is committed to the bane of your existence. Texas wants both McClellan and Bijan Robinson, who visits Austin next weekend, in this class. We wouldn't be surprised if Jonathan Gray was deployed to help with Jase, but we're also not certain how much that will resonate. Needless to say this is a huge weekend. Step 1: show McClellan a good enough time that he wants to de-commit. As we wrote yesterday, we like the timing of this official visit.

DE Riyad Wilmot, St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, FL): The Sunshine state three-star made it to campus yesterday and will stay through today.

DE Princely Umanmielen, Manor (Manor, TX) -- UOV: His name is still on this list because we haven’t been told otherwise, but I’d be surprised if Princely visited this weekend.

This is the current visitor list but we wouldn’t be surprised if a few more were added later this weekend, maybe a name everyone is familiar with.

— Bryson Washington (C.E. King) and Xavion Alford (Shadow Creek) are polar opposites. Washington is raw, but athletic who will mold to the culture of the program. He's bigger, faster, stronger. OU is doing a good job of pitching him on early playing time, and Washington is well aware his path to the field is quicker in Norman. Some guys like Ransom don't care, others do. Alford is the smart, instinctive, rangy safety who uses his high football acumen to be in the right place at the right time. He may even have some nickel upside. With Texas looking good for Chris Thompson and pretty good for Ransom, the final safety spot could come down to these two.

I was gonna ask about Princely but saw the above. I remember a few days ago someone posted a tweet from him telling Dorbah he'd see him at the visit in this thread. But he also made that comment about no one committing (whuch, uh, isn't wrong at the moment) and we had a full surly meltdown. Hope he makes it in but it's a little odd to be unsure if he's coming from Manor/Bastrop (always get him and Collins's schools mixed up) on the Friday before.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk