Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

11 minutes ago, futureman said:

herman needs to untuck his sack and fire warehime, move meekins back to TEs, and hire clint hurtt to coach DTs and secure 5 star commits. 

Probably will have to make room at RB, TE, or RB for Samples at some point as well, or someone else will 

1 hour ago, Hornsfan91 said:

TFloss posted this 

Rivals had a follow up report on DT Vernon Broughtonand he mentioned his scheme preference is a 4-3 where can play DE, as opposed to a 3-4 which is what Texas runs.

Inside Texas mentioned A&M did a very good job of convincing him that he's best suited for 4-3 DE even though Broughton has already said himself he's destined to be an interior guy.

Based on this specific report, Texas could now be running third behind A&M and Ohio State.

If this is true then why has he been a Texas lean for a long time??  He's known from Day 1 the schemes of both schools, has seen games, practices, and the spring game.

Players should want to play their nfl positions in college. 

It may have cost keke some draft position, though he had earlier tape at DT to show and pointing out how an aggy could have been drafted higher is a double edged sword. 

Broughton should be told he’s the next Ed Oliver or Aaron Donald, but he needs to play that position in college. 

33 minutes ago, SWC said:

Man, good stuff.  Remember orange slices and milk and cookies?  Just win baby.   I think we have an easier path than the bama path.  The $ec is going to grind aggy into turd dust.  If we can win the B12 1 out of 2 or 2 out 3 times consistently, we'll get what we want.  I think our D scheme is excellent and very versatile but we do need the elite players on D line to make it to the top.

I hate this fucking mentality. We’Er TeXaS is the exact fucking attitude that rotted this program to the core and gave us the worse decade in program history.

• Like 4

The lines are blurring between 3-4 and 4-3 because of the movement of players at the snap. However the one distinction I see is whether one of your two ends are larger and slower, or faster and lighter. I continue to believe that larger and slower is a better defense, even in the big 12. I know I’m in the minority in that viewpoint. I don’t understand why Broughton cares, however. He wouldn’t be the nose tackle. He would be the other end. His role wouldn’t really be all that different in either defense. He would have to line up on the inside or outside depending on the play in either defense. He’s getting snookered.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Are you suggesting Oscar Giles recruit? 

Image result for how dare you sir clear and present danger gif

I don’t care who does it. Giles, Orlando, herman, samples, carrington, his mom, his neighbor, his coach, his trainer, his teammates. 

You can bet he’ll get that message if and when aggy decides he needs to play there. 

26 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

why is texas not outright buying players these days? what's the downside?

Honestly, while I try to do the right thing all the time, I have to agree with this.  In the $ec, the MO is to always pay no matter what happens.  If you get caught, keep paying, you are only a few players from prominence.  No real penalties anymore.  Is the NCAA are going to hurt Texas?  Ya right.....

Here's the issue.  When we are dealing with the elite recruits, they are thinking 8 figures and how to get there....  180k is peanuts.  The scheme issue is important.  We need to find players that will fit within our scheme.  TO is still honing this system to flank the spread offenses.  The plodders in the $ec are easy, they can't throw precision passes to the flats.  Not one QB in that conference can do it.  They have never needed to do it until we raped uga.  Now they are on notice....  Can't wait for L$U.

7 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

I hate this fucking mentality. We’Er TeXaS is the exact fucking attitude that rotted this program to the core and gave us the worse decade in program history.

It's true.  Mack Brown rotted out program with outright laziness.  Does not change our blue blood status and the fact that we can pull players.

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

Yeah I don't know. I don't keep up with who is or isn't holding their hand out. I just know I was asking one of the coaches,  who is one of our best recruiters and who refuses to make excuses about anything, about what happened with Leal and he said "Jimbo bought him a good one." I followed up with "are you serious?" He said Leal was all Texas until Aggy bought him.

i can confirm this. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If this is true then why has he been a Texas lean for a long time??  He's known from Day 1 the schemes of both schools, has seen games, practices, and the spring game.

He just OVed to three 4-3 schools. A&M planted the idea early, and then Arkansas, Ohio State, and A&M all probably hammered the notion for three successive OVs

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t care who does it. Giles, Orlando, herman, samples, carrington, his mom, his neighbor, his coach, his trainer, his teammates. 

You can bet he’ll get that message if and when aggy decides he needs to play there. 

I found the issue. South Austin's mom hasn't been enlisted for the cause, yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SWC said:

It's true.  Mack Brown rotted out program with outright laziness.  Does not change our blue blood status and the fact that we can pull players.

WHO FUCKING CARES ABOUT BLUE BLOOD STATUS. What good has blue blood status done for Nebraska? 

• Like 1

Players should want to play their nfl positions in college. 

It may have cost keke some draft position, though he had earlier tape at DT to show and pointing out how an aggy could have been drafted higher is a double edged sword. 

Broughton should be told he’s the next Ed Oliver or Aaron Donald, but he needs to play that position in college. 

Yeah the 4-3 end thing doesn't check out to me. Broughton has to know he won't play that spot in the league, should he get there. Aggy is probably showing him Myles Garrett highlights and the salary slot for a DE at number overall. That's wildly unrealistic and if Texas is letting them get away with that, it's gross negligence. Or maybe it's just whay he wanted to hear all along, and teenagers tend to go with that.

Still, he's a prototypical interior rusher for the league. Counter that Myles Garrett shit with Aaron Donald and JJ Watt and their salaries. Not to mention Poona Ford at Texas and now Seattle and Ed Oliver under Orlando at Houston.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Not a Sock said:

WHO FUCKING CARES ABOUT BLUE BLOOD STATUS. What good has blue blood status done for Nebraska? 

Nebraska lost the farm hands and their walk on program when Farm Inc. bought all the farms.  Their walk on program made them great.  They don't have it anymore.  Texas still has the best HS football in the nation and we are the premier school in that state.  Act the part.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SWC said:

Nebraska lost the farm hands and their walk on program when Farm Inc. bought all the farms.  Their walk on program made them great.  They don't have it anymore.  Texas still has the best HS football in the nation and we are the premier school in that state.  Act the part. 

Nah, the walk-on thing was mostly a myth anyway: http://sportstreatise.com/2018/01/1995-nebraska-and-the-myth-of-championship-recruiting/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

https://www.detroitlions.com/team/coaches-roster/bo-davis

Detroit Lions, 2018-

University of Texas at San Antonio, 2017

Jacksonville Jaguars (defensive intern), 2016

Alabama, 2014-15

Texas, 2011-13

Alabama, 2007-10

Clint Hurtt   Asst HC/Defensive Line

Hired on March 16, 2017, Clint Hurtt joined Seattle after two years as the Chicago Bears outside linebackers coach (2015-16) and one year as the Bears assistant defensive line coach (2014).

https://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches-roster/clint-hurtt

Edited by LTtxfan

I know CTJ mentioned it, but it'll be interesting to see if there is any fallout from the Jimbo/FSU article. OU immediately hammered us with the Chip Brown piece and stole Bonnitto and almost Adeoye. I'm hoping we can pull at least one Hookfin-eque steal with it. 2.89 isn't a great GPA, but it's solid all things considered. Certainly no where close to getting sanctioned for lack of performance. I went back and found what I could about A&M's performance (mainly # of honor roll players) and we outperform them in those areas. 

27 minutes ago, SWC said:

actually, Frost brought it back 

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/recruiting/scott-frost-wants-on-huskers-roster-influx-of-walk-on/article_f40b029c-f450-54af-9ffe-ab4844bd9ebd.html

Spoiler

Then Frost put roster spots where his rhetoric was, adding five walk-on linemen — Stafursky, Jacob Herbek, Matt Huser, Riley Moses and Eli Richter — in the 2019 class. There are five redshirt freshmen walk-on linemen — Mitchell Balenger, Colton Feist, AJ Forbes, Ryan Schommer and Colin Shefke — on the roster as well.

That’s 10 freshman walk-on linemen, three more than NU’s sophomore, junior and senior walk-on line classes combined. Even as sophomore walk-on linemen Hunter Miller (at center) and Trent Hixson (at guard) battle for starting jobs this spring, older walk-on linemen are rare — at least for now.

https://theathletic.com/995924/2019/05/27/nebraska-walk-on-program-scott-frost/

https://hailvarsity.com/s/6732/frost-talks-nebraska-walk-on-program-wandale-robinson-and-more

Spoiler

>> Frost had promising thoughts on the Husker walk-on program.

"I think it's going to be in the next year or two when you start seeing the benefits of the walk-on program. We've got a bunch of guys in the program that are talented enough to help us," he said. "It takes awhile for those guys to develop, just like any other freshman, and it's going to start getting competitive, frankly. We took about 25 walk-ons the first year, about 25 this year, we're kind of limited to between 150 and 160 players on our football team right now but sooner or later those spots are going to have to be earned."

https://huskercorner.com/2018/12/07/nebraska-football-walk-on-program-is-killing-it-under-scott-frost/

1 minute ago, NoName said:

actually, Frost brought it back 

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/recruiting/scott-frost-wants-on-huskers-roster-influx-of-walk-on/article_f40b029c-f450-54af-9ffe-ab4844bd9ebd.html

Reveal hidden contents

Then Frost put roster spots where his rhetoric was, adding five walk-on linemen — Stafursky, Jacob Herbek, Matt Huser, Riley Moses and Eli Richter — in the 2019 class. There are five redshirt freshmen walk-on linemen — Mitchell Balenger, Colton Feist, AJ Forbes, Ryan Schommer and Colin Shefke — on the roster as well.

That’s 10 freshman walk-on linemen, three more than NU’s sophomore, junior and senior walk-on line classes combined. Even as sophomore walk-on linemen Hunter Miller (at center) and Trent Hixson (at guard) battle for starting jobs this spring, older walk-on linemen are rare — at least for now.

https://theathletic.com/995924/2019/05/27/nebraska-walk-on-program-scott-frost/

https://hailvarsity.com/s/6732/frost-talks-nebraska-walk-on-program-wandale-robinson-and-more

Reveal hidden contents

>> Frost had promising thoughts on the Husker walk-on program.

"I think it's going to be in the next year or two when you start seeing the benefits of the walk-on program. We've got a bunch of guys in the program that are talented enough to help us," he said. "It takes awhile for those guys to develop, just like any other freshman, and it's going to start getting competitive, frankly. We took about 25 walk-ons the first year, about 25 this year, we're kind of limited to between 150 and 160 players on our football team right now but sooner or later those spots are going to have to be earned."

https://huskercorner.com/2018/12/07/nebraska-football-walk-on-program-is-killing-it-under-scott-frost/

Well, there ya go.  Still have to get the partial qualifier thing solved but it can be done.  See UNC.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 10