Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Ere thrice the sun hath done salutation to the dawn, the crow of bitchassedness shall cock three times.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I can’t keep up with these new references. Can we go back to something easy, like cheese?

I don't mind being made to feel a little ignorant by something that reads so well. What are the references? Beowulf? Ancient Mariner? Blake? Beck?

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't mind being made to feel a little ignorant by something that reads so well. What are the references? Beowulf? Ancient Mariner? Blake? Beck?

A little Shakespeare, a little New Testament, a little Morrissey, and a little drunk. In reply to Katkid's Yeats. Though he may have thought it was Wilde -- all those Irishmen look the same, you know.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, UpperDeschutes said:

Texas is not anywhere close to the level of Clemson or Bama, true.   Texas is also not above Washington's level.  

Washington has 32 wins, two Pac12 titles, and one CFP appearance in the past 3 seasons.   

Texas fits in somewhere in the Stanford / Oregon / Michigan / Wisconsin / A&M / LSU / Auburn / Penn State / Iowa / Notre Dame / Georgia / Michigan / Washington pecking order of second-tier teams.   

Lol. The Pac 12 is terrible. Texas had 2 better wins last season than Washington has had in the last 3.

• Like 1

Charles Power: Quick Thoughts on Hudson Card from first Elite 11 Session

Spoiler

Just wrapped up the first session of the Elite11. I'd preface any observations by first noting that a lot the time was spent on install and instruction. There's typically a lot of standing around early on at the Elite11 Finals and that was the case today as well. So that's something that needs to be taken into account before we get into this.

The 20 QB's split into 4 groups of five and went station to station. On the outside practice field, one of the stations was a drill where the QB would take a quick step and use torque/arm strength to throw a 15 yard deep out from the middle of the field to the sideline. It's a drill that can be fairly unflattering and it's not uncommon to see some QB's skip the ball to the receiver. One of those that can be exposing a bit. I watched probably half of the QB's come through that drill and Card looked the best there, probably by a wide margin. The ball came out clean and with zip. Really impressive stuff in that drill. I know some were interested in how Card's arm stacks up, and in that drill throwing to both his left and right, Card was the best I saw.

16 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Charles Power: Quick Thoughts on Hudson Card from first Elite 11 Session

Hide contents

Just wrapped up the first session of the Elite11. I'd preface any observations by first noting that a lot the time was spent on install and instruction. There's typically a lot of standing around early on at the Elite11 Finals and that was the case today as well. So that's something that needs to be taken into account before we get into this.

The 20 QB's split into 4 groups of five and went station to station. On the outside practice field, one of the stations was a drill where the QB would take a quick step and use torque/arm strength to throw a 15 yard deep out from the middle of the field to the sideline. It's a drill that can be fairly unflattering and it's not uncommon to see some QB's skip the ball to the receiver. One of those that can be exposing a bit. I watched probably half of the QB's come through that drill and Card looked the best there, probably by a wide margin. The ball came out clean and with zip. Really impressive stuff in that drill. I know some were interested in how Card's arm stacks up, and in that drill throwing to both his left and right, Card was the best I saw.

well well well

12 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

The cock crow three times is Jesus telling Judas at/after the Last Supper he will betray him 3 times before dawn.

Thanks, man. That was one I know from the movie, but in the mash up, I wasn't sure if it referred to something else as well.

34 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

The cock crow three times is Jesus telling Judas at/after the Last Supper he will betray him 3 times before dawn.

Peter. 3 betrayals by Judas would've required a couple more resurrections

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

So in 2019 when we didn't get Cain we all said it's ok 2020 is loaded. Now in 2020 we are doomed?

Haven’t you heard we are a lock for a five star, Wheaton in 2021? 

Based on how things are going, the 9.95 reports that are coming from the Texas staff are probably indicating we are too bullish on our 2021 targets as well. 

47 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

So in 2019 when we didn't get Cain we all said it's ok 2020 is loaded. Now in 2020 we are doomed?

Jordan Whittington. He would have been ahead of Cain on the depth chart from day 1. We just had some horrible luck with our RB2 in the class, who had just won top football player in georgia awards last season. Its not like we have JAGs next season. We just need another serviceable weapon to put into the rotation.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Jordan Whittington. He would have been ahead of Cain on the depth chart from day 1. We just had some horrible luck with our RB2 in the class, who had just won top football player in georgia awards last season. Its not like we have JAGs next season. We just need another serviceable weapon to put into the rotation.

I thought Jordan was only playing RB because there was no depth. Would he even be there if Cain had come to Austin? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texas007 said:

I thought Jordan was only playing RB because there was no depth. Would he even be there if Cain had come to Austin? 

Yes. He has some pretty special RB traits. He could have started at slot in the spring, but as soon as they handed him the ball that would have been over.

2 minutes ago, Texas007 said:

I think he would have eventually gotten there.  They would have used him in positions where he was deemed to fail (like they used Jamison last year), and then after realizing that Brett Robin wasn't going to walk through that door, they would have moved him in Year 2.

Just got home from my kid’s swim meet in College Station. Every time I’m in that shithole I realize I forgot how much the whole campus looks like Chernobyl. How can you have so much strikingly ugly architecture? I will never understand why an elite kid with options would go there. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Just got home from my kid’s swim meet in College Station. Every time I’m in that shithole I realize I forgot how much the whole campus looks like Chernobyl. How can you have so much strikingly ugly architecture? I will never understand why an elite kid with options would go there. 

because they're going top do the same thing here they would in any other college town, fuck the best looking women and skip class.

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Jordan got on campus and the staff placed him at RB due to lack of depth and because he's a swiss army knife. Drayton isn't worth a fuck. It's not a question of who will be the next awesome RB the staff gets but who will be the next RB that puts this staff into the friend zone?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Jordan got on campus and the staff placed him at RB due to lack of depth and because he's a swiss army knife. Drayton isn't worth a fuck. It's not a question of who will be the next awesome RB the staff gets but who will be the next RB that puts this staff into the friend zone?

Not sure about that. I heard from two different coaches that Whittington is the real deal and might be a better running back than Ingram. 

3 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Not sure about that. I heard from two different coaches that Whittington is the real deal and might be a better running back than Ingram. 

Not doubting that he's great. He's a player that can be great at 3 different positions. I'm just pissed that we are not gonna land a stud RB for the 2nd straight year.

Edited by Coach pop a bitch

18 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

This isn’t what happened 

12 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Whittington being good has nothing to do with his post. Whittington was not recruited as a RB. He was not recruited by Drayton (thank the gods on that one) and was NOT some master plan to overcome the fuckery that is Stan Drayton and his fucking donut hole batting average recruiting RB to fucking Texas. Whittington's talent and skillset does serve to cover up the abject failure that is Drayton. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Whittington being good has nothing to do with his post. Whittington was not recruited as a RB. He was not recruited by Drayton (thank the gods on that one) and was NOT some master plan to overcome the fuckery that is Stan Drayton and his fucking donut hole batting average recruiting RB to fucking Texas. Whittington's talent and skillset does serve to cover up the abject failure that is Drayton. 

They broached playing RB Whittington during the playoffs, and when he went off in the finals, both sides decided that it would probably be a good idea to move him there