Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

42 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

this must've been 8 1/2 ft too

At the end of the Mack Brown epoch, we loaded up on 4 WR’s in the spring who would simply say yes and this guy went to Baylor to torture us for four years. I’m excited that pattern has seemingly ended. 

Go all in for this guy and let him run vertical routes all over Big 12 DB’s. 

Don’t love his tape, but he’s got great size. Could be one of those guys that grew late and hasn’t figured out his body yet. Looks like he has had at least one really good camp. Prime candidate for late bloomer in a position of need in this class before the season starts. Good job, guys.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Really under the radar - no profile on 247. 

This paywalled article about him shining shining at the TCU camp last month is all they had. 

https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Article/Defensive-back-Xavier-Spencer-TCU--133236122/

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Really under the radar - no profile on 247. 

This paywalled article about him shining shining at the TCU camp last month is all they had. 

https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Article/Defensive-back-Xavier-Spencer-TCU--133236122/

I read elsewhere that he tested in the 4.4 range for his forty.

31 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Don’t love his tape, but he’s got great size. Could be one of those guys that grew late and hasn’t figured out his body yet. Looks like he has had at least one really good camp. Prime candidate for late bloomer in a position of need in this class before the season starts. Good job, guys.

Thanks, man. Will keep it up.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

There’s 100m times out there in the high 11’s, so prob not.  

good thing we don't need him to run a hundred yards in a straight line.  Give me a 4.4 guy in the 40, with that size,  any day.  Don't get me wrong, track speed is never a bad thing (Goodwin comes to mind), but damn 4.4 is moving.

Edited by jdhorn92

21 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

good thing we don't need him to run a hundred yards in a straight line.  Give me a 4.4 guy in the 40, with that size,  any day.  Don't get me wrong, track speed is never a bad thing (Goodwin comes to mind), but damn 4.4 is moving.

IF it's a true 4.4 40 time. Wonder if it was hand timed or what.

I saw QJ play against Killeen Ellison. It rained like hell before the game, the field was wet, and players were sliding all over the place.  But when the game was over,  I texted another poster on this board and said  "I swear, Temple has a receiver  (I don't know who he is) who looks like a Randy Moss starter kit."  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I saw QJ play against Killeen Ellison. It rained like hell before the game, the field was wet, and players were sliding all over the place.  But when the game was over,  I texted another poster on this board and said  "I swear, Temple has a receiver  (I don't know who he is) who looks like a Randy Moss starter kit."  

Any highlight-reel catches?

spacer.png

Mike Roach: Recruiting nuggets from Stars at Night camp

—Four-star Temple wide receiver Quentin Johnston said that visiting Texas gives him a “homey” feeling. Johnston competed in and won the dunk contest during the camp, and he said the atmosphere is electric there. Johnston praised 2020 and 2021 quarterback commits Hudson Card and Jalen Milroe, and listed a top four of UT, Baylor, OU, and TCU. The biggest news to come from Johnston is that he plans to make a decision by the end of the summer. He’s been to Texas more than any school in his top group.

—Bastrop Cedar Creek defensive lineman Alfred Collins reportedly checked in at 286 pounds this weekend. Collins said that everything is still great between him and Texas, but he plans to take his official visits before making a decision. Collins scheduled his OV to Texas in December, and the Longhorns will likely get the last shot at his recruitment.

—Four-star Booker T. Washington wide receiver JJ Hester called Texas his leader after the camp, and he was happy to have his mom with him at Texas for the first time. Hester said he’s also been hearing from Baylor a lot lately, and he plans to make a decision mid-season. Hester is working on setting up his official visit with Texas for a game.

—2021 Texas commit Lake McRee said he had a great time getting to know his fellow commits Hayden Conner, Jalen Milroe, and Juan Davis during the camp. McRee said he was very impressed with the way Milroe throws the ball, and he’s happy to have his decision behind him. McRee said he knew that he wanted to be at Texas his entire life, and now he’s focused on football and recruiting others to join him.

—2021 Texas commit Hayden Conner was on campus for the first time since making his decision. He said that it feels kind of weird to have everything behind him, but he’s glad it’s over and happy with the decision. Conner said that the aerospace engineering program at Texas was far and away the difference maker in his decision, and he loved getting the opportunity to work with Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand to improve his versatility. Conner wants to learn all five positions on the line so he can help the team in whatever way is needed.

—2021 four-star Dallas Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem made his first visit to Texas. Ibraheem got to take a otur and met with the coaches. He said he was very impressed with Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington, and he’s aware of the Dallas to Austin movement. Ibraheem went to middle school with Texas commit Quay Davis, and he said the other commits have been recruiting him hard. Ibraheem won the fastest man competition during the camp.

—2021 four-star Kennedale safety JD Coffey made another visit to Texas with his mother. Coffey is a prospect that’s extremely high on Texas, but he’s decided to push his timeline back a little. Instead of making a commitment during the season, he will probably decide early next year. Texas has the power position in the recruitment, and if they continue with what they are doing they should find themselves in position to land him.

—2021 four-star Denton Ryan ATH Billy Bowman was one of the prospects that Hayden Conner mentioned as a target for recruitment. Bowman said he loved the coaching he got at the camp from Drew Mehringer, Craig Naivar, and Todd Orlando. Bowman can play defensive back or wide receiver, and he said he’s planning to return for the LSU game with his teammate Ja’Tavion Sanders. Bowman is looking to drop a top schools list after the season, but Texas is right at the top for him.

—2021 Everman ATH Juan Davis made his commitment official after the camp last night. Davis said he was blown away by the love Texas showed him, and they compared his skillset to Lil’Jordan Humphrey. Davis said his focus is now on improving his skills on the field and keeping up with his grades.

—2021 wide receiver Theodore Knox just transferred to The Woodlands from Louisiana. This was his first visit to Texas, and he earned an offer with his performance at the camp. Knox has the chance to be the fastest prospect in the state for his class, and he was blown away by how much he loved Texas. It’s early, but the Longhorns made an impression on him.

—2022 Del Valle wide receiver Caleb Burton picked up an offer as well. The fast-rising sophomore has been to Texas a few times since he’s a local prospect, and he loves the coaching staff and campus. Burton’s father coaches at Del Valle, and the staff did a great job recruiting him early.

—2022 Brenham cornerback Eric Hemphill was reportedly one of the top defensive back prospects in attendance. Hemphill said that he grew up watching Texas, and he’s a huge fan of the way their defensive backs play. He’ll be one to watch in the coming years.

—2022 Skyline defensive tackle Bear Alexander said he loved hanging with Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles. Alexander said he feels that Giles has great family values, and he loves how hard he’s recruiting him. Alexander is not in any hurry to decide, and he’s focused on improving his game and helping skyline.

—2022 Bishop Dunne linebacker Jordan Crook was back yet again this summer. Crook said that he’s continuing to build a relationship with Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando, and he feels he improved his skills during the camp. Crook said that Orlando is supposed to visit during the season to see him action, and he feels he could be close to an offer.

247Sports' Clint Buckley contributed to this report

• Like 1

I can see us looking at a 18 man class of Card, Johnston, Hester, Shelton, Garth, Parr, Majors, Karic, Broughton, Collins, Fillinger, Dorbah, Scott, Thompson, Crawford, Thompson, Jackson, and Hullaby.

That would be good for 269.43 and a 0.9273, it would also leave open 2-3 spots for a RB, a CB, and another LB.

48 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Let's see what happens after this visit before we call LVBS a "most likely" anything.

Yeah, from the ocean breezes of San Juan Capistrano to the Texas summer heat?   I won't be counting that particular chicken. 

Super K update on LV:

Didn’t want this to get lost in the previous thread.

Exchanged some texts with the father of 2020 4-star WR, LV Bunkley and what he said was extremely noteworthy.

“One of the best visits we have had. If he wants to commit he has our blessings. Coach Mehringer, Herman and Beck are awesome”.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

So most likely WR class is Bunkley, Johnston, and Hester. 

What’s so special about Bunkley?  ESPN has him at a 4.78 40 and 4.41 shuttle and he’s not a 6’5” guy. 

3 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

What’s so special about Bunkley?  ESPN has him at a 4.78 40 and 4.41 shuttle and he’s not a 6’5” guy. 

ESPN recruiting pages of players are usually outdated.

He ran a 4.21 shuttle at the regional opening earlier this year.