OU Football 2019 - Pummeling the Shit Out of Women, Common Decency & Defensive Fundamentals

closetojumping

Every year we hear about this step back they are going to take. And seemingly every damn year, they are there at the very end and winning the Big 12, playoffs/BCS or both. They know how to retool and never really stay down. They can still easily win this conference. They have fell into yet another top tier QB. Lincoln will be able to have success easily with Hurts.
Ha...this. The OH YEA! drinkers are on a sugar high. 8-4. Lol.

Honestly I don’t understand why the media pundits are completely ignoring OUs losses on offense. I haven’t heard anything about it all offseason. Losing 4 OL is a big fuckin deal regardless of who it is. Then you lose your two best WRs and Heisman QB. Your defense is already shit and won’t make a significant jump for atleast a couple more recruiting classes. I honestly don’t think it’s unfathomable for them to drop two in conference play this year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

The Oklahoma program has been far superior to ours since I arrived at UT 23 years ago.  No reason to see it changing this year.  They have more wins against us, more conference championships, more BCS/playoff appearances, more heisman trophy winners, etc.  I'm fucking tired of it but they are by far and away a better program than we are in the last quarter century.  Nothing in the foreseeable future is gonna change that.  Sorry, but every once in a while we need to speak in facts on this side of the message board.  

I guess you must have slept through the five years from 2005 - 2009 when we beat them 4 out of 5, won the conference twice and would have a third in 2008 (fuck you Kurt Bohls and other media), won a national title, played for another, and won an additional BCS bowl.  I'm trying to figure out how they were superior during that time.  I guess the success of a couple of transcendent QBs doesn't count for much with you.

Or is your point we needed to dominate over a longer period in that 23 years to not consider them far superior?  If so, how long is long enough?  10 years?  15 years?  If a 5 year span isn't enough to even bother counting then you might as well check out now and tune back in in 2029 since nothing we accomplish the next few years will mean anything to you unless we do it for 10 or more.

In the category of settling, I will settle for 3, no, make that 4 wins in Fair Park by an average margin of 47 points by, say, the year 2030.

Yes, wins over 0u by the ass-raping going-in-dry scores of, say, 63-14, 65-13, 55-17 and 63-21.

Yes.  Wins over 0u by those scores over the next 12 seasons, will be sufficient to make a full Declaration of Thorough Rape.

They'll take a step back, and Texas absolutely can beat them twice, if necessary. They're also capable of beating Texas because of the potential for defensive issues. Iowa State, TCU, and Oklahoma State all have legit chances to knock off OU, but OU can certainly also beat them handily if they get on a roll. The talent level is just higher than everyone except Texas. Overall, I expect them to get to 10 regular season wins. We'll see how the regular season shakes out but that's probably good enough to get to Arlington.

I do not, however, think they area playoff level team this year. 2017 OU was a national championship caliber team, just as good as Georgia or Bama. 2018 wasn't as good but was a legit top 5 (in a year where the top two were pretty clearly ahead of everyone else) and deserved to be in the playoff as much or more as anyone you'd argue to take their place. 2019 OU is not going to be that good.

41 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Honestly I don’t understand why the media pundits are completely ignoring OUs losses on offense. I haven’t heard anything about it all offseason. Losing 4 OL is a big fuckin deal regardless of who it is. Then you lose your two best WRs and Heisman QB. Your defense is already shit and won’t make a significant jump for atleast a couple more recruiting classes. I honestly don’t think it’s unfathomable for them to drop two in conference play this year.

Que?

3 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Hurts won’t live up to the hype and be a bust. OU defense will perform the same, as if Mike Stoops was never fired. OU will choke in games that they’re not supposed to and Lincoln will continue to scarf down bags of dicks. 

It was ever thus.

9 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Evidently Vegas is also ignoring those losses because you can get Texas plus 17 right now versus OU.

13 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

I have not looked it up, but does Dana H have enough horses on offense to score a ton of points on that putrid OU D?  Courtney Lark, D'Eric King, Mulbah Car and Patrick Carr are some good players plus they have a fairly veteran OL.  Maybe Holgo will hang 40 on them.   

UH gave up 70 to Army. They'll need a lot more than 40. I'm not counting on them to even keep it close. 

I have heard doom predictions for them before and watched them piece together a new o-line from bubble gum and prison work release programs. They have holding perfected in the eyes of the b12 refs and will latch on without a flag. Until that changes, i wont believe shit regarding in conference games with them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I expect OU to finish with one of the worst defenses in the conference, again. Sure, some of the guys are a year older, but does that make someone who sucks actually improve? Did Breckyn Hager or Naashon Hughes suddenly show up with a clue as seniors? Why, with worse coaching, would we expect more from the OU defense this year?

Exactly.  If a starter sucks dog shit, what difference does another year make?  Sure, you'll get some incremental improvement but it's on the margins.  

They are bound to have some drop off at OL but the replacements are going to be more than capable.  Creed Humphrey is the best lineman Lincoln Riley has ever seen, or so I have been told by inane TV announcers with approximately the same frequency that I have been informed that Charlie Brewer was never offered a scholarship from Texas. Despite the hyperbole, you can't discount what it means to have an experienced stabilizing force in the middle of an OL. The LT is a 5-star RS-Soph and the two guards are 4-star RS Soph as well. Three years in that program is definitely enough time for them to be up to speed. The other tackle is a RS Fr and was also a 4-star recruit. They are going to be plenty talented, that system is very OL friendly, and their coach is one of the best in the country. I just have a bad feeling that this group is going to be disappointingly good. Fuck them.

Hurts isn't going to be as good as Murray, who I said there was no way in hell he would be as good as Mayfield. Mike Leach had less talented QBs than Hurts put up insane numbers. There's no reason to think that Hurts isn't going to be extremely productive. I also put a lot of stock in intangibles at the QB position and Hurts checks a lot of those boxes, way more than Murray. At worst, Hurts is the third best QB in the conference. I'm not going to cry for them.

On defense, I think Grinch was a shitty hire. The thing about Lincoln Riley coming up solely through the Leach coaching tree is that he doesn't appear to look out of his comfort zone for coaches. Say what you will about Herman's loyalty to his assistants and the guys he came up with, but he went out and plucked Orlando from Utah when he was at Houston and pulled Herb Hand from Auburn. Both of those hires were about his looking at schemes and finding the most effective and innovative guys to bolster his staff. Riley called his mentor Mike Leach and ended up with a Leach retread DC. Same thing with Bennie Wiley.

Grinch was average at best at Ohio State last year with much better talent than his opponents and against the vanilla Big 10. Fucking TCU was just about the worst offense not located in Kansas in the conference last year and they put up over 500 yards against them. Purdue was probably the most innovative offense he saw in conference and they put over 500 yards too. That defense looked completely confused defending a simple RPO bubble screen. Northwestern put up 418 on them in the CCG where they were way overmatched. Maryland (yeah, them) had 536 yards. They only put up 407 against us. The worst Nebraska team in god knows how long put up 450 yards against them. Other than maybe Bama, Georgia and Clemson, who has recruited more talent than tOSU in the past 5 years? Good luck with the inherited talent at OU against the rest of the Big 12, especially with an offense that gives zero fucks about ball control.

I think this is a big year for Lincoln Riley. He's three years out from being Bob Stoops' boy wonder. All those lessons that the team learned under the old regime have worn off. Let's see if he can keep those old good habits in place without letting a bunch of bad ones slip in. I always think it takes three years for a team to truly belong to a coach and unless the talent is just so overwhelming that you can't screw it up, cracks start to show in year 3.  The schedule is a joke so the record may not show it, but it's all on Lincoln now. There are lots of potential potholes in this conference.

• Like 3

I think Hurts is being way overvalued as a passer. He’s neither particularly accurate or adroit at reading defenses after the snap. 

I’m sure LR will use his offensive genius to dial up some great calls and play designs, but at the end of the day the QB has to get the ball to the WR often enough to make those calls pay off. I see a lot of near misses, and not so near misses for that matter, in OU’s future with JH at the helm. 

Again, I foresee them being a lot like our late 03/ early 04 offense. Talented but young on the line, nice skill pieces all over the field, able to run the ball at times and struggling mightily to pass the ball at times while hoping the QB scramble saves their bacon. They’ll be really hot when their on and pretty meh about 60+% of the time.

Think about how different their season looks even if Hurts manages to produce 3/4’s of Murray’s production. 3100 yards passing, 750 yards rushing and 34 TD’s is a helluva season. And they’re likely a 4 loss team last year with those numbers under center. Granted, TTU and WVU are probably cycling down, but BU’s and ISU’s ascension probably continues while the other conference teams outside of UT hold serve. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dewey said:

We beat ou in Dallas, lose to a team we shouldn't, injuries, lose to ou in the title game. 

I think we beat them in Dallas, they win regular season conf. title cause we slip up in 1 or 2 games we shouldn’t, but we beat them again in CCG.

4 hours ago, Nivek said:

I have heard doom predictions for them before and watched them piece together a new o-line from bubble gum and prison work release programs. They have holding perfected in the eyes of the b12 refs and will latch on without a flag. Until that changes, i wont believe shit regarding in conference games with them.

Legit question to Surly...

Not just this post , but also several complaints in the past on Surly about blOU holding all the time.  What's the real story on tactics used by the blOU O-Line... have other teams in the B12 complained about blOU holding?

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not just this post , but also several complaints in the past on Surly about blOU holding all the time.  What's the real story on tactics used by the blOU O-Line... have other teams in the B12 complained about blOU holding?

We've perfected holding in Norman...and we do get away with a ton of holds.  

I think it's human nature to notice when your team is being held, and conversely, to not notice as much when your team pulls jerseys on the edge.

As far as Texas faring with the refs, I think they do ok...Last year, Texas led all Big XII teams with 'opponent penalty yardage' of 67.6 yds per game.

;

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Go to neutral sites like reddit and there's almost zero non Texas fans complaining.  It's just like around here the league loves OU but on 99% of other sites everyone thinks Texas gets all the breaks due to money etc.  The truth always sits somewhere in the middle on these things. 

3 hours ago, Dewey said:

We beat ou in Dallas, lose to a team we shouldn't, injuries, lose to ou in the title game. 

How about:  Texas beats blOU at State Fair, and gooners struggle enough to miss the B12 title game...  Horns win B12 CCG.

Believe it... and speak it into existence!!  🤘

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Go to neutral sites like reddit and there's almost zero non Texas fans complaining.  It's just like around here the league loves OU but on 99% of other sites everyone thinks Texas gets all the breaks due to money etc.  The truth always sits somewhere in the middle on these things. 

I don’t think anybody actually believes this from personal perspective tbh. I think it’s a hive mentality brought on orange team bad mentality tbh. Aggy and Nebraska pretty much led the charge on this bullshit notion. 

I’ve still yet to see: 

a) A team get fucked the way we did vs OSU in 2015

b) Penalties get reviewed and reversed by replay. It happened to us twice from what I remember

c) A coach get penalized 15 yds for arguing with a ref (much less followed and enticed)  for an egregious call in a close 4th quarter game

Until that happens it’s a hard no for me

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I’m 99% sure Roach and Omenihu got straight up tackled at least 3 times each that game

Egregious missed holding penalties is something  every fanbase complains about.....when their squad  is on defense. Its comical to read in game threads on opposing teams message boards, as they will be bitching about missed holding calls on the Horns while our fanbase rages about the same thing when we're on D. 

Big XII refs may do a shitty job calling holding in general, but anybody that believes Texas doesn't get away with it as well, also probably believes we are the only team that follows all of the rules regarding recruiting and Longhorn players are the only ones not taking PEDs. Die hard college football fans tend to have a hard time being unbiased.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I don’t think anybody actually believes this from personal perspective tbh. I think it’s a hive mentality brought on orange team bad mentality tbh. Aggy and Nebraska pretty much led the charge on this bullshit notion. 

I’ve still yet to see: 

b) Penalties get reviewed and reversed by replay. It happened to us twice from what I remember

c) A coach get penalized 15 yds for arguing with a ref (much less followed and enticed)  for an egregious call in a close 4th quarter game

Until that happens it’s a hard no for me

You misunderstood me.  It's the herd mentality.  I'm agreeing with you - there's not much truth to it but people just buy into it.  

Also see post above by Blotto...

Edited by ChiTownDoc

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I’ve still yet to see: 

my first thought too.  the last-teaff game was bad.  lubbock 08 was bad.  but things like that have happened in other games to other teams.

nothing approaches oSu 15.  no game is even close to that in the history of all sports.

27 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

That insult and disgrace will hurt for eternity. Might be the greatest injustice at the highest level of sport.

This is off memory but,  I am fairly certain RoyJones has an alternative fuckjob to point to from the 1988 Seoul Olympics. I watched it live, or it felt live, with my dad and I don’t think I have ever felt more ripped off in my life. Unbelievable. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

This is off memory but,  I am fairly certain RoyJones has an alternative fuckjob to point to from the 1988 Seoul Olympics. I watched it live, or it felt live, with my dad and I don’t think I have ever felt more ripped off in my life. Unbelievable. 

They're pretty close. But you have to admit that the Olympic Basketball committee putting time back on the clock after the game had ended (with the US victorious) to give the Soviets a chance to win it is a special kind of screw job. To this date, USA Basketball refuses to accept the silver medals for the 1972 Munich Olympics. I guess the Cold War setting has a lot to do with it, plus one of the refs was Bulgarian, likely a friend of the Soviets.

My post doesn't do justice to the number of times USA got screwed in that game, but this link does:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Olympic_Men's_Basketball_Final#Controversy

On 7/30/2019 at 7:52 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Every year we hear about this step back they are going to take. And seemingly every damn year, they are there at the very end and winning the Big 12, playoffs/BCS or both. They know how to retool and never really stay down. They can still easily win this conference. They have fell into yet another top tier QB. Lincoln will be able to have success easily with Hurts.

I pod repped OP because I enjoyed the read and he has some valid points.

But, I’m Missouri in OU taking a step back.  I’m gonna have to see it before I believe it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

OU will show chinks in the armor this year. There isn't some magical vortex pulling in talent to Oklahoma. They're done. They're over. They'll get no more dicks to eat. They're finished. Their long dark night is just beginning but I will not weep for them. 

"That's racist!" .gif

On 7/30/2019 at 8:08 PM, Lobo said:

The Oklahoma program has been far superior to ours since I arrived at UT 23 years ago.  No reason to see it changing this year.  They have more wins against us, more conference championships, more BCS/playoff appearances, more heisman trophy winners, etc.  I'm fucking tired of it but they are by far and away a better program than we are in the last quarter century.  Nothing in the foreseeable future is gonna change that.  Sorry, but every once in a while we need to speak in facts on this side of the message board.