2019 Texas Longhorns fall practice thread

Machinator

15 hours ago, fellside said:

I don't understand any of the apprehension about Duvernay or questions about his ability.

The dude put up 51 receptions, 546 yards and 4 TD's as a third option.  And he has the most reliable hands on the team.  What kind of expectations did some of yall have for a third option?

Oklahoma's  third option, what with their prolific air raid offense, was Grant Calcaterra (who's being hyped as one of the top 100 players in the nation) had 26 catches for less than 400 yards.

Duvernay was underwhelming his first two years.  He wasn't last year.  It's weird that some are considering him a concern at slot.

I agree 100%. As others have said, he’s a slightly lesser version of Quan. Some forget Quan had a year or two of pro baseball before he was a 1st year rec for us. He also played on some of the best Texas teams.   I think Duv has many of the same qualities as Quan, toughness, reliability, IQ, great hands.  The build/stature of course are very similar too. 

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Like 1

I agree 100%. As others have said, he’s a slightly lesser version of Quan. Some forget Quan had a year or two of pro baseball before he was a 1st year rec for us. He also played on some of the best Texas teams.   I think Duv has many of the same qualities as Quan, toughness, reliability, IQ, great hands.  The build/stature of course are very similar too. 
and Quan was never the fastest person on the team...

we're going to see Dev house some dudes... gonna be fun.

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This seems like a bit much.  I know we get them at home early in the season with a new quarterback, but hard to see Texas favored by that much given OSU's success against Texas over the past several years. 

Laying 12.5 in Morgantown doesn't seem like a very good idea either. I know they lost a ton including that horns down motherfucker at qb and are breaking in a new coach but that's a lot of points on the road. 

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Laying 12.5 in Morgantown doesn't seem like a very good idea either. I know they lost a ton including that horns down motherfucker at qb and are breaking in a new coach but that's a lot of points on the road. 

They're probably the second worst team in the Big XII, but it could be a trap game for Texas with OU the following week 

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Now Tom, the most important part of your 3rd down play calls is to make sure that no receiver runs a route past the 1st down marker.

... or, if they do, make sure they come back and take the pass with their back to the  first down marker and at least three yards short...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fud said:

LSU pickem @ Texas
OSU +11.5 @ Texas
Texas -12.5 @ WVU
OU -3 vs Texas
Texas -6 @ TCU
Texas -3 @ ISU

When is someone going to pop in to let us know that these lines favor Texas because there are tons of Texas fans out there and we're all suckers. Bill Connelly thinks we're fool's gold.

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

aggy +18.5 @ Clemson

Auburn -2.5 @ aggy

Alabama -14.5 @ aggy

Miss St +7.5 @ aggy

aggy +13 @ uga

aggy +8 @ lsu

Reminder that A&M plays at Georgia the week before playing at LSU. This will be a big revenge game for LSU after having victory stolen from them about five times by the refs, with Dame Craig then running up to the LSU sidelines to talk shit to the coaching staff and Jimbo's inbred nephew punching an innocent bystanding elder LSU QC coach with health problems in the face

• Like 4

TFB August 7 practice report

First day of full pads.

DEPTH CHART
Offense

QB: Sam Ehlinger / Casey Thompson / Roschon Johnson

RB: Keaontay Ingram / Jordan Whittington / Kirk Johnson / Daniel Young

XWR: Collin Johnson / Malcolm Epps / John Burt / Kennedy Lewis

Slot: Devin Duvernay / Jordan Pouncey / Jake Smith

ZWR: Brennan Eagles / Josh Moore / AlVonte Woodard / Marcus Washington

TE: Cade Brewer / Reese Leitao / Jared Wiley / Brayden Liebrock

OL:
Sam Cosmi – Junior Angilau – Zach Shackelford – Derek Kerstetter – Denzel Okafor

Reese Moore – Tope Imade – Rafiti Ghirmai – JP Urquidez – Christian Jones

Defense

DL1: Malcolm Roach – Keondre Coburn – Taquon Graham

DL2: Marquez Bimage – Gerald Wilbon – Jamari Chisholm

BLB: Joseph Ossai / Byron Vaughns

RLB: Jeffrey McCulloch / Caleb Johnson / Juwan Mitchell

MLB: Ayodele Adeoye / Marcus Tillman

NB: BJ Foster / Josh Thompson

CB: Jalen Green / Anthony Cook / Donovan Duvernay

FS: Caden Sterns / Montrell Estell

BS: Brandon Jones / Chris Brown

CB: Kobe Boyce / D’Shawn Jamison / Kenyatta Watson

NOTES
– Sophomore safety Demarvion Overshown was not on the field today. He was not out at practice either. I was told he has injured his foot and is sporting a boot. We will learn more from Tom Herman.

– Freshman TE Brayden Liebrock was in a green jersey today meaning he was non-contact. Will get update on this.

– One of the biggest surprises today was the movement in the WR room. Josh Moore was moved to Z and Senior John Burt to X. I’m not reading too much into this yet, but it seems the staff is testing out different things to figure out who will be their guys.

– Also there was a little movement in the offensive line. Not in the immediate depth, but we saw an offensive line formation that looked like:
Sam Cosmi – Parker Braun – Derek Kerstetter – Junior Angilau – Reese Moore (I think it was Moore)

– One thing I noticed was the leadership displayed by Caden Sterns who was going around the safety unit and coaching up freshmen Chris Adimora and Tyler Owens on how to shed blocks and more.

– Speaking of Tyler Owens, that dude looks huge! He already has the build for this level and is impressing with his athleticism. Seems he just needs to polish his game. Special teams fiend.

– Get ready for BLB Joseph Ossai’s name to be said quite a bit. That dude is bigger and stronger this year. He’s impressive to watch, but his burst is impressive.

– QB Sam Ehlinger continues to look good. His throws are effortless, on time, and accurate.

– QB Casey Thompson is a little more erratic than Ehlinger. His throws sail on him at times.

– QB Roschon Johnson is very much not ready. He was having trouble throwing an accurate ball today. No need to panic, he’s a freshman.

– Freshman WR Jake Smith is just so smooth in his cuts. He ran over the middle and took some hits, so he’s not afraid of getting the ball over the middle. That’s impressive.

(Will Baizer)

– Adding to Will’s notes on Casey Thompson, in a three throw stretch (on a deep corner route), he had two right on the money and the third bounced about five yards short. Inconsistency is still an issue.

I touched on the leadership of some vets last week and it was very apparent again today.

– Collin Johnson was teaching up freshman Jake Smith on a rip & run drill the WR were doing early on in practice. The little attention to detail is setting a good standard for the incoming class.

– In that same drill, freshman WR Marcus Washington received great praise while Kennedy Lewis was slow to adopting the concept of the drill and was asked to re-do it several times.

– Freshman LB David Gbenda struggled during a one-on-one fit tackling drill with the linebackers.

– In that same drill, Joseph Ossai and Jeffrey McCulloch asserted their dominance as the veterans of the group.

– As expected, ball security is a main point of emphasis by Stan Drayton, who led the RB through a series of drills working on keeping the ball tucked.

(CJ)

• Like 2

Cross posting this in case some of you are looking for podcasts, if not then ignore it you fucks.

- Horncast is a podcast network which is/was managed by @OnAComputer This includes Barking Carnival & 4th and 5.

- Longhorn Blitz - they now have Roach for recruiting as part of the show

- BON-Longhorn Republic

-Longhorn Confidential is Brian Davis' as the MC with Bohls and Golden as guests.

- Fire Tom Herman

- Eyes of TX is the IT podcast with Nahlin & Wells

- The Hook'em huddle I expect to start up during season again

- The Audible and Yahoo College podcast are good for national CFB

- Stick to Football is good for NFL and CFB, they are longhorn fans.

- Ten12 is ok for our league

- 104.9 when Joe Cook is a guest, usually Monday's at 11AM. I would pass on Wells on Wednesday@12.

- FCB can have some good info on his morning show but you have to be a masochist to listen to that show.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

"He’s impressive to watch, but his burst is impressive."

This is embarrassing and terrible. Aren't writers supposed to be able to write? At least run your crap through http://www.hemingwayapp.com/.

BOMC isn't reviled for its eloquence 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

IT practice report

By: @josephcook 

Texas put the full pads on for the first time today with several NFL scouts on hand, and even former offensive coordinator Greg Davis looking on.

Things are pretty spread out at the IM Fields, so here’s everything I was able to see.

DEFENSE

As usual, the team started out with 11-on-air pursuit drills.

First Team
DL: Roach - Coburn - Graham
Rover: McCulloch
Mac: Adeoye
BLB: Ossai
Nickel: Foster
CBs: Boyce to the field, Green to the boundary
S: Jones to the field, Sterns to the boundary.

Second Team
DL: Bimage - Wilbon - Chisholm
Rover: Tillman
Mac: Mitchell
BLB: Vaughns
Nickel: Thompson
Corner: Jamison to the field, Cook to the boundary
S: Brown to the field, Estell to the boundary.

OFFENSE

I didn’t get to catch full 11-on-air action, but I was able to watch a few of Herb Hand’s drills with the tackles.

For one drill, he placed a light wooden staff on the back of the OT’s neck like how one would hold a bar if they were getting ready to squat. Each tackle kept his inside foot on the sideline, and had to then get into their stance. They had to move back keeping their inside foot on the sideline while working backwards.

Hand was very vocal in this drill. Both the RT and LT group had to do things over a few times.

LT: Cosmi - R. Moore - T. Johnson - Shepherd
RT: Okafor - C. Jones - Hookfin

Players I saw with the interior OL group during individual drills included Kerstetter, W. Tyler, JP Urquidez, Braun, Imade, Shackelford, and Angilau.

The running backs worked with the QBs on swing passes out of the backfield. The brief pecking order under center was Ehlinger - Thompson - R. Johnson. The RB order for that drill was Ingram - Whittington - K. Johnson. 

Receiver drills were interesting, as today Joshua Moore was working with the ZWR group. Devin Duvernay was still with the slot receivers.

XWR: C. Johnson - Burt/Epps - M. Washington
HWR: Duvernay - Pouncey - J. Smith
ZWR: Eagles/J. Moore - K. Lewis

In addition, Collin Johnson worked with the slot receivers for a handful of reps to work on some of the routes asked of that position.

De’Gabriel Floyd was going through conditioning drills with a member of the S&C staff. I didn’t get to see the TE pecking order, but Brayden Liebrock had a green “no-touch” jersey on.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lazygringo said:

Yea! Though I suspect it's the same pick as this one (near the end, #24):

That cut by Whittington in the backfield was special. 

15 hours ago, Snacks said:

won't matter... young dbs generally get toasted... even Thorpe winners look bad as 1st and 2nd year guys... just accept it. I use to not accept it. it just is.

Uhhh...did you watch our football team last year? We started two first year DBs all last year and they were incredible. Even Cook was good when he got to play. 

Including 2nd year DBs is also way behind the times. With so much 7 on 7, advanced training and a lot of guys being early enrollees, a lot of guys are ready to go Year 1 and almost all are ready to go Year 2. 

Green and Jamison May struggle a bit early just because they didn’t get many game reps at CB last year early, but to say that all 1st and 2nd year DBs get torched and struggle, even Thorpe Winners, is just flat out wrong.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1