AP Top 25

TrashMaster G

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

My hope is once they expand the playoffs to include every P5 champion, the Big 12 will drop the shitty conference championship game.

There’s about 30 million reasons why they won’t. 

Oh, and the Big 12 may not be a conference by the time the playoff expands to 8. 

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Oh, and the Big 12 may not be a conference by the time the playoff expands to 8. 

I'm looking forward to the day of the SEC super conference where we play aggy, LSU, arky, and OU every year. 

13 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This would be like asking who has the bigger brand, the Cowboys or the Patriots. But assume the Patriots had the historical success of Dallas, Pittsburgh and Green Bay combined. That’s Bama. 

Should we crowdfund a houndstooth suit and crimson tie for you?

Bama can lick my nuts. Saban is winning on borrowed time. 

19 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This would be like asking who has the bigger brand, the Cowboys or the Patriots. But assume the Patriots had the historical success of Dallas, Pittsburgh and Green Bay combined. That’s Bama. 

I mean, this just ain't true man. Bama will always be held back by being in Alabama, not Dallas or Boston or completely owning a major American region like Appalachia (in that NFL analogy).

They're a huge brand, maybe bigger than UT at the moment in pure sporting terms. But they're not all that.

I think the Big 10 getting left out again this year would also hasten the expansion.  That would be 3 consecutive years.  

And it's not even that far fetched.  If UT or OU wins the Big 12 with one loss, they're in.  No one is beating Clemson in the regular season.  And if anyone beats Bama, that team and Bama are both likely in.

With the amount of money, living alumni, etc that the Big 10 has, I don't think they're going to accept 3 straight years of being left out.

46 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Expanding the playoffs to 8 would all but guarantee that OU or UT never leave the Big 12 (permanently stabilizing the status quo).

And if they moved before that, you'd see the 4x16 realignment junky wet dream and have no reason to expand.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

25 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Ironic lulz. 

You were provided links to independent valuations of various college football programs as well as a link to their most recent total athletic revenues. In both cases the University of Texas was higher than Alabama. This is within the current environment where Alabama is in the middle of perhaps the greatest run of success in college football history and Texas is at the (hopefully) tail end of one of the shittier decades in its program's history. And this doesn't even get into the fact that the brand of a university and its athletic program is bigger than just football.

It's already been proven that your opinion was factually incorrect and that you're a moron. The fact that you're internet laughing at my pointing it out just strengthens my argument.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You were provided links to independent valuations of various college football programs as well as a link to their most recent total athletic revenues. In both cases the University of Texas was higher than Alabama. This is within the current environment where Alabama is in the middle of perhaps the greatest run of success in college football history and Texas is at the (hopefully) tail end of one of the shittier decades in its program's history. And this doesn't even get into the fact that the brand of a university and its athletic program is bigger than just football.

It's already been proven that your opinion was factually incorrect and that you're a moron. The fact that you're internet laughing at my pointing it out just strengthens my argument.

source.gif

Heard a podcast that Rece Davis appeared on and the host questioned him on voting Aggy 6th in the preseason top 25.  His response was basically, "I love Jimbo Fisher.  I think they might go 2-3 against Clemson, Bama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, but they could go 3-2 and have no other stumbles and then they'll be in the conversation for the playoff."

I like Rece but if Aggy goes 10-2 I'll eat my hat.

Edited by LonghornSean

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yes. Gata, OU and Texas were clearly the 3 best teams in the country that season. Maybe there would have been drama regarding the fourth spot but I'm not sure 2008 is the best example. I doubt anyone wins a 4 team playoff save one of those 3 that season. (we were closer to a Texas/OU rematch than either B12 team being left out of the top 4 in any final poll)

There was a huge gulf between Bammer and Texas.

bcs-2008.png

The only controversy would have been do we take SC or do we take Bama for the 4th spot? Bama had one good win on the season and lost H2H in the SEC title game against Gata. That was the year they proceeded to lose to Utah in the Sugar Bowl. SC had one good win (tOSU in week 2) and a bad loss@ Beaver. 

Texas had the best win and best loss of any of the 1 loss teams. Easily. (also a shit kicking of Mizzou and a win against 7th ranked OSU)

in 2008 USC gets the 4th slot as a reigning dynasty + Conf Champ.

• 2 weeks later...

Texas moves up one spot to #9

https://www.apnews.com/APTop25CollegeFootballPoll

1.   Clemson (1-0)

2.   Alabama (1-0)

3.   Georgia (1-0)

4.   Oklahoma (1-0)

5.   Ohio State (1-0)

6.   LSU (1-0)

7.   Michigan (1-0)

8.   Notre Dame (1-0)

9.   Texas (1-0)

10. Auburn (1-0)

11. Florida (1-0)

12. Texas A&M (1-0)

13. Utah (1-0)

14. Washington (1-0)

15. Penn State (1-0)

16. Oregon (0-1)

17. Wisconsin (1-0)

18. UCF (1-0)

19. Michigan State (1-0)

20. Iowa (1-0)

21. Syracuse (1-0)

22. Washington State (1-0)

23. Stanford (1-0)

24. Boise State (1-0)

25. Nebraska (1-0)

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

On 8/22/2019 at 9:27 AM, 'stache said:

Win your damn conference to make the playoff. It's that fucking simple. Yeah, sometimes a "better" team will be left out, but newsflash, that shit happens in pro sports all the time. How many Western Conference teams in the NBA are left out which are better than the bottom half of the Eastern Conference playoff seeds? Shit happens, but at least its objective.

Well, my problem with that argument is that it's inconsistently applied.  

In '08, Texas beat OU head-to-head on a neutral field, and our only loss was a last-play-from-scrimmage loss on the road to a top-10 team.  We had tougher schedule, "better" loss, and won head-to-head vs OU, and would have won conference tiebreaker in every P5 league except the big 12.  In the Tech-OU-Texas round-robin, we were the only team that didn't play a true home game, and OU was the only team that didn't play a true road game.

We were told, "None of that matters.  Win your league or STFU."

A couple years later, Bama finds themselves in an end-of-year beauty contest, in a year when they didn't play in their conference championship game -- a year where they scored six fucking points in a home loss -- and virtually nobody in the fucking media made that point, and Bama got a mulligan.  

It's another example of how the "SEC! SEC!" bullshit is self-fulfilling, just like ranking 6 of their teams in the top-12 to start every season.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

In '08, Texas beat OU head-to-head on a neutral field, and our only loss was a last-play-from-scrimmage loss on the road to a top-10 team.  We had tougher schedule, "better" loss, and won head-to-head vs OU, and would have won conference tiebreaker in every P5 league except the big 12.  In the Tech-OU-Texas round-robin, we were the only team that didn't play a true home game, and OU was the only team that didn't play a true road game.

A couple years later, Bama finds themselves in an end-of-year beauty contest, in a year when they didn't play in their conference championship game -- a year where they scored six fucking points in a home loss -- and virtually nobody in the fucking media made that point, and Bama got a mulligan.  

It's another example of how the "SEC! SEC!" bullshit is self-fulfilling, just like ranking 6 of their teams in the top-12 to start every season.  

That was pre-playoff.  For what it's worth, I believe that season was the "mock" season the first CFP committee played out and I believe their voting  had us seeded #1.

7 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

It sounds like you should agree with me. Bama should have been out for not winning their damn conference. They would make all sorts of arguments why they were “better,” same as you’re 2009 example, but it would at least be consistent why both were excluded. Complain all you want about the tiebreaker in place at the time, but it was a written rule easy to apply. Shit happens. No beauty contests about who looks better. Apply the tie breakers as written, conference champs only. Like every other damn form of team sports.

18 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It sounds like you should agree with me. 

I'd probably have mixed feelings if there were a championship-or-no-playoff rule.  I definitely think that two of the top-4 teams could come from the same conference.  

That rule would probably protect teams that playoff-worthy, but don't have a blue-blood brand.  For example, conference champion Oklahoma State getting zero love vs non-champion Bama.  Or TCU/Baylor getting leapfrogged at the podium by Ohio State.  

(edit to add). Yes, I know that 2014 Ohio State was also a conference champion.  Just saying:  Blue-bloods have a huge built-in advantage in end-of-year polls and committee votes.

Edited by Paul Wesley

6 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

So, hypothetically, if we played LSU in Week 1 and lost by 1 point, you think we should drop out of the top 20? Behind teams that barely managed to win against an FCS opponent?

If we lose to a bunch of meth-addled, sister fucking, Slingblade-sounding, Waterboy-imitating, dropped-on-their-heads-repeatedly-as-babies, illiterate, swamp-dwelling, big-brothers-of-aggy our first game out, 21st place sounds right.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

That’s one of those things that sounds cool in your head but incredibly dumb out loud. Let’s say LSU gets beat on a last second FG in a thriller against Texas in Week 1. You’re saying LSU ought to drop from 6 to at least 21?  

How about YOU GTFO with your basic populist horse hockey. 

If everyone is held to that specific standard then it works. If you can't prove you're a top 20 team with the rest of the season after week 1, that's on you.

Edited by USMCHorn

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If we lose to a bunch of meth-addled, sister fucking, Slingblade-sounding, Waterboy-imitating, dropped-on-their-heads-repeatedly-as-babies, illiterate, swamp-dwelling, big-brothers-of-aggy our first game out, 21st place sounds right.  

Ryben, pay attention, this is the way you gripe.

19 hours ago, USMCHorn said:

Notre Dame is not a top 10 team but whatever.

Texas used to always get the benefit of the doubt but 10 yrs in obscurity seems to have cured that.  ND, not so much...I didn't see anything remotely top 10 in their performance against Louisville.  I think the expression on Kelly's face toward the end of the 1st half against the Cardinals told the true story on ND this year.