AP Top 25

TrashMaster G

10 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Kansas State and Oklahoma State not ranked? Based on what?

The Big 12 has five top 25 worthy teams: OU, TCU, Texas, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State...with all due respect to Iowa State.

It is kind of joke the game next week is not a top 25 matchup.

Also kind of a joke there's 6 PAC teams in the top 25.  6 SECx3, 5 B1G, 3 B12, 2 ACC. 

17 hours ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

We'll have a lot more Big XII teams in the top 25 as the season progresses. KSU should be in there now.

Florida is the worst top 10 team. SEC SEC SEC teams hogging all the spots.

Well yeah. If they got half of those SEC teams out of the top 10 then they'd have to put Big 12 or Big 10 teams into those slots and everyone knows that SEC teams are the best, so it's better to have them ranked highly now and just keep them there the whole season. 

If they weren't all ranked then they couldn't justify leaving all the losers at the same slot after all these "meetings of top 10 teams". 

How else can they get TWO SEC teams into the CFP this year if they aren't all ranked highly at the beginning? That "best conference" narrative isn't going to prove itself you know. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chad said:

How is Kansas State not ranked? They're 3-0 with a win on the road against a P5 team and two dominant wins. Had Mississippi St beaten KSU they most certainly would've cracked the Top 25 because SEC SEC SEC.

How is an undefeated Cal behind Washington, who they just beat?  Who can understand these things? 

Edited by Mdhorn

6 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

How is an undefeated Cal behind Washington, who they just beat?  Who can understand these things? 

Cal struggled at home with North Texas while UW beat the daylight out of Hawaii (who has beaten 2 Pac12 teams - Zona and OrSt)

Edited by NowThis

12 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Well, you see--in the preseason, we took a poll of sportswriters who made wild-assed guesses about who they thought would be good this year, and . . . .

I legitimately wonder how much longer the AP poll will even be a thing. It serves no purpose other than separating the voters into two categories:

1) "I have no original ideas and my ballot looks almost exactly like everyone else's"

2) "Finally, I have a chance to show <name a program> how they're not really such hot shit after their coach was rude to me and their fans heckled me!"

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Well yeah. If they got half of those SEC teams out of the top 10 then they'd have to put Big 12 or Big 10 teams into those slots and everyone knows that SEC teams are the best, so it's better to have them ranked highly now and just keep them there the whole season. 

If they weren't all ranked then they couldn't justify leaving all the losers at the same slot after all these "meetings of top 10 teams". 

How else can they get TWO SEC teams into the CFP this year if they aren't all ranked highly at the beginning? That "best conference" narrative isn't going to prove itself you know. 

I've been assured by Surly that conference affiliation means shit when it comes to the draft. So we've got that going for us, I guess...

22 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

I will state the obvious, but there should be no rankings until after the second full week of scheduled play.  Before that, it is nothing more than hype and conjecture...and incestual SEC voting.

In (minor) defense of the CFP, this is why they don’t have rankings until halfway through the season. There is still some bias towards perennial powers but there is much less “they’re ranked this week because they were last week” type reasoning. 

43 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I legitimately wonder how much longer the AP poll will even be a thing. It serves no purpose other than separating the voters into two categories:

1) "I have no original ideas and my ballot looks almost exactly like everyone else's"

2) "Finally, I have a chance to show <name a program> how they're not really such hot shit after their coach was rude to me and their fans heckled me!"

the networks need it as some unbiased way of promoting games between top teams until the real poll comes out.  that is the only purpose it serves.

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the networks need it as some unbiased way of promoting games between top teams until the real poll comes out.  that is the only purpose it serves.

And because people eat it up. There's a market for it. It sells papers, it sells clicks. Look at this thread of people bitching and moaning about rankings that are totatly meaningless. 

i feel the AP poll keeps the fans interested, so it's a great marketing tool for the product.  It also helps the dumbtard Selection Committee, eases their thinking process, giving confidence in their votes ; the decision has been made already in effect (with rare exclusions), so the burden is lifted.

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Millions, actually, but I wouldn't expect that to fall within your grasp. 

It's pushing so many that newspapers are still dying. And how many of those being sold are because of the AP Poll? I imagine a large percentage of newspaper sold are old people that can't figure out the internet or how to cancel their subscription. 

Edited by Deej

21 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

We would whip Florida, Utah, Michigan and Auburn.

21 hours ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

We'll have a lot more Big XII teams in the top 25 as the season progresses. KSU should be in there now.

Florida is the worst top 10 team. SEC SEC SEC teams hogging all the spots.

Lol everyone hating on Florida because of their performance against Kentucky.

Lost their best playmaker (Toney), lost their best DB (Henderson), lost their best pass rusher (Zuniga), lost their QB, still won on the road. 

ND are still top ten and nobody bats an eye. Michigan is ranked 11 lol. Maybe Florida is a little overrated, but I think they can beat everyone on the rest of their regular season now that Franks is out.

Just because some people like it old school doesn't make them stupid.  I am an old and very tech savvy, but I like sitting out on my back porch on Saturday morning drinking my coffee (not a latte covered in cinnamon and nutmeg, mocha frappuccino with an extra shot of whipped cream, or what ever other crap you millennials drink)and reading an actual newspaper that gets my fingers all black.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And because people eat it up. There's a market for it. It sells papers, it sells clicks. Look at this thread of people bitching and moaning about rankings that are totatly meaningless. 

for a bit of the preseason and 6 weeks.  after that no one really pays much attention to it.  agreed that it drives some clicks. and an athletic department can use it to say "top 25" if for some reason their team is not in the top 25 of the playoff poll.

Not many.
Millions, actually, but I wouldn't expect that to fall within your grasp. 
Wat?

Newspapers? Nobody sells millions of printed newspapers anymore.

Or these?

e2ce09ce4dd3f880e2c16ddcb89c57dc.jpga264bf4141d67a681e5c1605d0b56512.jpg

These still sell by the millions. So you are telling us that stoners use the AP poll to help decide which papers to buy?

Uh ok, whatever you say Jackson.

f155f556c06691bfa1ebbbdec6ee8dff.gif