Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

16 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

IT (Gerry/Bobby/Eric) starting to hedge a little on Deandre Moore - might be sticking with Louisville.

Gerry saying the shoe wars are real and there may be Adidas pressure on Moore.  Plays on an adidas sponsored 7on7 team.  Says it happens in basketball all the time and you're seeing it more in football.

On the list of things I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever understand: Loyalty to a fucking shoe.

• Hook 'Em 5

On the list of things I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever understand: Loyalty to a fucking shoe.

I think it’s about being on shoe payroll. That’s why they said it was much bigger for basketball than football

Pretty sure, in basketball, shoe companies put players on payroll starting with AAU. That’s how early the relationships start. Then they send the kids to their college programs. Then they have deals in the NBA.

This model is picking up with 7on7 replacing AAU.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I guess major sanctions on adidas’ largest tracksuit consumer base isn’t affecting their purse strings, nor is losing a highly profitable fashion line partnership. 

or maybe it is, and they couldn’t match for Reuben but then could use what was escrowed for Reuben towards moore. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I think it’s about being on shoe payroll. That’s why they said it was much bigger for basketball than football

Pretty sure, in basketball, shoe companies put players on payroll starting with AAU. That’s how early the relationships start. Then they send the kids to their college programs. Then they have deals in the NBA.

This model is picking up with 7on7 replacing AAU.

So is Adidas paying theses kids in college while other brands are not?  And, if so, how is that within the rules?

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I guess major sanctions on adidas’ largest tracksuit consumer base isn’t affecting their purse strings, nor is losing a highly profitable fashion line partnership. 

or maybe it is, and they couldn’t match for Reuben but then could use what was escrowed for Reuben towards moore. 

Reuben went to another Adidas school.

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

So is Adidas paying theses kids in college while other brands are not?  And, if so, how is that within the rules?

Yes.  Three Adidas guys just got out(?) of federal prison.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

In basketball, shoe brands spend a ton of money to get kids to their schools. They'll pay for AAU teams, parent jobs, big houses for the families, give cash, etc. The reasoning is that highly ranked guys in basketball have a quicker path to the NBA and are more likely to pan out, then the brand has the inside track to signing an NBA star. It's not as big a factor in football but maybe it happens some. 

ETA: This stuff has been around for years, it's not an NIL thing. Maybe that's the avenue for it now but it's not new. And every shoe brand does it. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s a thing called NIL. Brand new. You must not have heard of it. 

F.O.  It's not an NIL thing if one brand is doing it and another it not.

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

In basketball, shoe brands spend a ton of money to get kids to their schools. They'll pay for AAU teams, parent jobs, big houses for the families, give cash, etc. The reasoning is that highly ranked guys in basketball have a quicker path to the NBA and are more likely to pan out, then the brand has the inside track to signing an NBA star. It's not as big a factor in football but maybe it happens some. 

ETA: This stuff has been around for years, it's not an NIL thing. Maybe that's the avenue for it now but it's not new. And every shoe brand does it. 

Which gets back to my original point: Loyalty to a shoe.  Don't get it.

It's not about loyalty to a shoe. 

Look at how basketball shoes are marketed. All the star players have their own line of shoes. Stars will generate hundreds of millions of dollars to whichever company they choose. People think Nike may have lost a billion when they lost Curry. So there's a ton of incentive for these companies to get in really early with guys so that they can sign them once they get to the NBA. It's not about loyalty to a shoe, it's about getting paid a fuck ton. 

It's mostly a basketball thing, but it wouldn't surprise if some of the brands were willing to help some of their schools get a jump start on a couple key football prospects. Louisville makes sense as a program that is down but could garner some national airtime if they get back up. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

6 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

My guy, the shoe companies have run college basketball for a long time, no one has the time to lay all this out for you, look it up. There a have been tons of articles, documentaries, court cases, etc. about it.

They get to players early through AAU basketball, they pay the teams and players  and then funnel them to their schools. The same could be happening in football, and Moore is already in the Adidas pipeline because of his 7on7 team.

9 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

It's not about loyalty to a shoe. 

Look at how basketball shoes are marketed. All the star players have their own line of shoes. Stars will generate hundreds of millions of dollars to whichever company they choose. People think Nike may have lost a billion when they lost Curry. So there's a ton of incentive for these companies to get in really early with guys so that they can sign them once they get to the NBA. It's not about loyalty to a shoe, it's about getting paid a fuck ton. 

It's mostly a basketball thing, but it wouldn't surprise if some of the brands were willing to help some of their schools get a jump start on a couple key football prospects. Louisville makes sense as a program that is down but could garner some national airtime if they get back up. 

Yeah, I get all that. 

But, how many football players have a shoe in their names? 

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Do you even AAU bro?

I really try not to.  It's a slimy world and turns me off to college basketball much more than I would be otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

we got some big fuckin men!!! lets fuckin goooo

“Their offensive line is humungous and they wear on you,” Georgia coach Kirby Smart said in October. “It’s like Nick [Saban] used to say, ‘They have weight classes in boxing and there is a reason.’ If a guy is a heavyweight and he keeps hitting a lightweight, eventually the heavyweight will knock the lightweight out and you have to have enough big guys across the line of scrimmage to withstand that.”

• Hook 'Em 2

There are only 4 commits whose letters are not in yet.

Baxter, whose ceremony starts at 11

The SOC cousins Muhammad and Walton, who have a ceremony that starts at noon.

And Lefau, who is in Hawaii, so you knew his letter would be later in the day for us.

Still have to wait to see what’s up with Akana and Moore. Should know about Moore pretty soon I think.  

• Hook 'Em 1