Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

On 12/30/2022 at 11:39 AM, ATXhorn17 said:

We can’t bank on him recovering 100% (see Omeire) — especially as Neyor’s first snaps back will be in Fall camp… The staff needs to over-allocate portal slots to WR and then sort out a rotation later.

9 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Omeire is an outlier. He just had bad luck in tearing his ACL/MCL two years in a row. That doesn't happen often, and I don't thonk it'll happen to Neyor (knock on wood). Since Neyor tore his in August (I believe?) he should be good to go come August. Margin Hooks posted a tweet showing Neyor moving pretty well, so I think/hope he comes back ready to go. But we still need at the very least 2 portal WR's. Cook, as talented as he is, isn't going to come in and be WR #1. Plus he's a pretty small guy. 

OK, than what about Jaden Alexis?

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, victory88 said:

Cook is going to play day 1.  He’s a better route runner than anyone we have on campus outside of maybe Worthy.  He tracks the deep ball well and is going to be college ready from a physical standpoint.  Like coddax was saying, Margin Hooks has his WRs ready.  

Also, Worthy scrubbed his Instagram of Texas stuff.  He had a picture of him in a Texas jersey pinned as of yesterday at the top of his page and it’s since been deleted.  

Which is why a lot of folks wanted Kyle Parker in this class. He's a polished Margin Hooks-trained high floor WR that would be able to play a lot as true freshman.

• Fuck You 1

I thought we used to run a thread for the UA/AA games and updates from practices. If we have one and I'm blind, feel free to let me know. If we're just using this thread, thats ok too.

https://www.on3.com/news/under-armour-all-america-top-performers-day-2-jordan-renaud-adepoju-adebawore-mikey-matthews/

Praise for Muhammad and Cook on day 2.

I scrolled back a bit and didn't see anyone post day 1. Looks like Derek Williams and Baxter got some praise on day 1 as well.

https://www.on3.com/news/under-armour-all-america-2023-day-one-eye-catchers-noah-rogers/

Edited by BornAndRaised
added day 1 as well
  • Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Which is why a lot of folks wanted Kyle Parker in this class. He's a polished Margin Hooks-trained high floor WR that would be able to play a lot as true freshman.

As will Deandre Moore if needed.

But the chances that more than 1 true freshman WR (Cook) will get snaps is pretty pretty low.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

I thought we used to run a thread for the UA/AA games and updates from practices. If we have one and I'm blind, feel free to let me know. If we're just using this thread, thats ok too.

https://www.on3.com/news/under-armour-all-america-top-performers-day-2-jordan-renaud-adepoju-adebawore-mikey-matthews/

Praise for Muhammad and Cook on day 2.

I scrolled back a bit and didn't see anyone post day 1. Looks like Derek Williams and Baxter got some praise on day 1 as well.

https://www.on3.com/news/under-armour-all-america-2023-day-one-eye-catchers-noah-rogers/

Man, I hate those things. I remember seeing Marcus Washington win MVP, and BJ Foster lay out 2 dudes in the game and thought both would be bad ass. 

But I'm a sucker, so I appreciate the updates lol

Edited by Spider2YBanana

56 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

Remember that time we had Quintin Johnston committed but Tom Herman was a piece of shit and Andre Coleman was worse than useless? Thinking about what our offense could've looked like with him this year makes me want to cry

He was likely gonna flip anyway, but the smoke became a fire when Mehringer was fired and Coleman was eventually promoted

16 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

This is crazy to think but even as far as TCU made it and even if they win the championship. Us, OU, and a&m will always have a better recruiting class than them. Lol

They're like the 2015 Mich St but won their playoff game lol they'll probably run rough shot over the glorified MWC for years to come though.

Sounds a little too “WRTS” for me. I don’t do moral victories. We need to stop sucking. 

I didn’t mean it in that way. I’d rather be in there position if it gets us to the playoffs. I just meant no matter all the W’s, if you aren’t a blue blood program it’s hard to recruit at a top 10 level. A&M isn’t but they spend like they are.

I guess that’s why they say if you aren’t a blue blood it’s really hard to win a championship.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Atticus said:

He was likely gonna flip anyway, but the smoke became a fire when Mehringer was fired and Coleman was eventually promoted

Most likely - but I definitely remember hearing that a some of it was related to Herman being a flailing prick and Coleman being an unegaging lump. I think a better set of coaches and recruiters would have gone a long way towards keeping him. Maybe we'd have lost him no matter what - but not getting him will always piss me off. He would've been exactly what the Horns needed this year

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, utexas8 said:

This is crazy to think but even as far as TCU made it and even if they win the championship. Us, OU, and a&m will always have a better recruiting class than them. Lol

Who needs actual trophies when you can hoist 247 composite top 5 recruiting class trophies?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Nobody understand this better than Dykes. They’ll be a big portal program going forward.

They'll have to be because their recruiting isn't going to move the needle except into maybe the top 25 IF Dykes can continue success and win 10+ games a year (which I have my doubts, but whatever). 

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I don't think it would impact Texas - so do we want TCU to win?

Absolutely not. Regardless of what people say, we will still battle them for a few hs recruits. We lost Deal to them and someone else we targeted this year, I believe. But right now kids are seeing TCU in the title game, so the impact would have to be 2025 when we won't care if we assume Dykes goes back to his median of 7 wins, and we're in the SEC targeting even bigger fish from the SE. I don't think TCU will be pulling any 5 star hs recruits, but Dykes will be a portal scrounging mf'er from here on out as a quick fix, which in theory could make him better than his usual 7 wins. Portal giveth, portal taketh, and TCU will be all over it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Most likely - but I definitely remember hearing that a some of it was related to Herman being a flailing prick and Coleman being an unegaging lump. I think a better set of coaches and recruiters would have gone a long way towards keeping him. Maybe we'd have lost him no matter what - but not getting him will always piss me off. He would've been exactly what the Horns needed this year

The biggest issue down the stretch with that recruitment was how long Herman took to hire a WR coach. The family asked everyday who would be coaching their son and Herman had no answers as he swung and missed on multiple WR coaches. While we had no coach Malcolm Kelly was on him hard every day. Herman eventually hired Coleman who had been on the staff the whole time. If Herman had hired Coleman earlier I believe QJ is in austin. Made no sense to take as long as they did if you were going to hire the guy already on staff

• Hook 'Em 3

There’s no reason to believe that TCU can’t become the Clemson of the southwest. They’re going to leverage this championship appearance (and possible national championship victory) as well as their conference record against us to pull in some metroplex trophy fish ‘croots for years to come. That said, there no reason why we can’t simultaneously be perennial top 10 teams, but they will be a thorn in our side long after we change conferences.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

There’s no reason to believe that TCU can’t become the Clemson of the southwest. They’re going to leverage this championship appearance (and possible national championship victory) as well as their conference record against us to pull in some metroplex trophy fish ‘croots for years to come. That said, there no reason why we can’t simultaneously be perennial top 10 teams, but they will be a thorn in our side long after we change conferences.

I tend to agree with this. Miami is another similar comp. Their history from WW2 - the Patterson era indicates otherwise, but they’ve definitely got a good sell on facilities, campus life, and a big city. I imagine their NIL program will at least be decent eventually. I think playing in the B12 hurts them as far as getting in on a lot of top shelf recruits. 

I just think that the outcome of the game next week on their recruiting profile will be marginal at best. That damage has already been done. They are now one of 7 programs to make the CFP final game, and only the 6th of the last 7 years. Win or lose next Monday, they can credibly make the argument to recruits that they are a big-time program who can compete for championships. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

We can be very small sometimes.

I find it incredibly embarrassing that a small private school with no alumni base and nowhere near our financial resources is in the championship while we’re wondering if our star receiver who can’t catch will transfer. It would be more embarrassing for them to win it. After twelve years, I am reduced to rooting for Texas to win and others to lose almost solely so people shut the fuck up. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

We can be very small sometimes.

As small as looking someone up on social media after decades of no contact to talk shit about TCU’s win? Happened multiple times already.

I’m a big enough man to admit when I’m being small. Fuck them. Fuck the screw job Texas got in 2008. Fuck Colt getting hurt. Fuck Brown for quitting on the job. Fuck Brown for sabotage. Fuck TCU. Fuuuuuck. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1