Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Please forgive my ignorance. Who of the receivers we've signed can be the deep threat we need? I only know they're good, and I'm glad they're coming here.

They're all freshmen. Touting them as the solution to our WR problems this early is asking for trouble. As was said upthread they're raw athletes and raw athleticism is not really what Worthy lacks. It'll have to be the portal (again).

• Hook 'Em 2

(Gerry Hamilton) Under Armour All-America Game: Practice 1 thread

Orlando, Fla. – The 2023 Under Armour All-America Game begins practice at 5:30 p.m. eastern with a practice under the lights. The practice will feature five members of the Longhorns 2023 No. 3 ranked recruiting class. As well as the top target remaining on the board, On3 Consensus 5-star Duce Robinson. Practices for the 2023 Under Armour All-America Game will conclude January 2 with the game to be played January 3. The December 31 and January 1 practices will be televised on ESPNU. The game will be played on ESPN.

Team Phantom

Cedric Baxter Jr., RB, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater

The nations No. 1 ranked running back signed with the Longhorns over Florida State, Florida, Miami, Texas A&M. Baxter will be among the most talented all-around prospects in the game, and will be looking to cement 50star status.

Johntay Cook II, WR, DeSoto (Texas) High

The No. 45 ranked prospect in the On3 Consensus and No. 8 ranked wide receiver will head to Orlando with a 5-star purpose. That’s the goal. His magnetic personality is also tailor made for this type of event with TV cameras all around. Cook is one of three wide receiver signees in the 2023 class ranking in the top 20 receivers in the cycle.

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff

The back-to-back 5A state champion will face his biggest challenge yet as a high school player. The 6-foot-0 cover corner will be challenged by Power 5 wide receivers on every rep and play in Orlando. Muhammad signed with Texas over Alabama.

Derek Williams, S, New Iberia (La.) Westgate

Williams hasn’t been scene in this type of setting before. That means the No. 40 ranked prospect in the On3 Consensus is one of the prospects with the chance to move back up into 5-star status with an excellent week. Williams signed with Texas over Miami, LSU, Alabama and Texas A&M.

Sydir Mitchell, DL, Oradell (N.J. Bergen Catholic

The No. 223 ranked prospect in the cycle has the ability to shoot up the rankings with an impressive week. The daily 1v1’s in practice will be key for Mitchell in that regard. Mitchell signed with Texas over Georgia, Texas A&M and Miami.

Team Speed

Duce Robinson, TE, Phoenix (Az.) Pinnacle

The lone Texas target remaining to make a decision is the On3 Consensus 5-star and No. 1 ranked tight end in the cycle. The 6-foot-6, 230-pound two-sport star has Georgia, Texas and USC as the three schools under serious consideration with a decision set for the first Wednesday in February.

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

They're all freshmen. Touting them as the solution to our WR problems this early is asking for trouble. As was said upthread they're raw athletes and raw athleticism is not really what Worthy lacks. It'll have to be the portal (again).

Cook is a lot more than that. The others, probably yeah. I haven't seen enough of Moore. Would not mind a portal take. Would also like Sanders to become a security blanket and see the ball going to him more.

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

None of those guys are as fast as Worthy.  He has an important role as a slashing type WR.  It’s Neyor or bust as far as a guy who can go beast mode on a deep ball.  I don’t think Cook is that guy.  

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

Niblett is as fast or faster if going by track times. Cook is plenty fast too.

Worthy was a 10.55 guy as a Sophomore compared with Niblett who was a 10.58 guy as a Sophomore. Niblett has a PR of 10.41

Obviously we know about Brenen Thompson as well. 10.1-10.2 speed.

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I didn’t know Niblet had those times.  Ok.   He seems like Worthys replacement if the guy portals.

Ehhhh... Niblett is more of a raw catch & run WR. Not a polished run & catch WR like Worthy was a true freshmen. I don't think Niblett can replace Worthy. Cook is the best best to replace Worthy outside of a portal transfer.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

That's why I used "can be." I know relying on freshman to save the day is double plus unsmart. Still, I want to know what's in the bag for the future.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

That's why I used "can be." I know relying on freshman to save the day is double plus unsmart. Still, I want to know what's in the bag for the future.

JMO. Cook is the best bet to make an impact. Gerry recently said Margin Hooks said that Johntay will come in with a full route tree and understanding of the college passing game. He has the athleticism to be very good. Niblett is the athlete. He plays everywhere for his HS. They find ways to get him the ball. The downside being he didnt spend all his time honing his WR skills, so he is raw. He is electric with the ball in his hands though. Moore reminds me a bit of JWhitt, with a little better ball skills. Good football player. Does everything well, not sure there is an elite trait to his game. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

JMO. Cook is the best bet to make an impact. Gerry recently said Margin Hooks said that Johntay will come in with a full route tree and understanding of the college passing game. He has the athleticism to be very good. Niblett is the athlete. He plays everywhere for his HS. They find ways to get him the ball. The downside being he didnt spend all his time honing his WR skills, so he is raw. He is electric with the ball in his hands though. Moore reminds me a bit of JWhitt, with a little better ball skills. Good football player. Does everything well, not sure there is an elite trait to his game. 

It used to be run after catch prior to all of the injuries, he was even on pace to be in the main running back rotation during his freshman camp. I will take a steady slot receiver like JWhit all day if we can get the right complimentary guys on the outside. 

• Hook 'Em 5

I was considered a big lineman back in the day. Every generation gets bigger. I remember a player named Jeb Bush who came to Texas at the astonishing weight of 300 pounds. I don't think he ever saw the field. If you're reading this, Jeb, and I'm wrong, apologies.

The size of these men is awe inspiring. And they can move.

19 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I was considered a big lineman back in the day. Every generation gets bigger. I remember a player named Jeb Bush who came to Texas at the astonishing weight of 300 pounds. I don't think he ever saw the field. If you're reading this, Jeb, and I'm wrong, apologies.

the Jeb Bush?

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

No motor, low energy... things of that nature

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, futureman said:

the Jeb Bush?

I've become lazy when it comes to names. Maybe Jeb Batts.

Googled it.

image.png.5fc84be9fcb824e791df55c0a20c84bf.png

Yep. He must have trimmed down some after being recruited. He was the tallest and heaviest guy on the roster. 

38 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

No motor, low energy... things of that nature

I think I was just called lazy.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, ATXhorn17 said:

We can’t bank on him recovering 100% (see Omeire) — especially as Neyor’s first snaps back will be in Fall camp… The staff needs to over-allocate portal slots to WR and then sort out a rotation later.

Omeire is an outlier. He just had bad luck in tearing his ACL/MCL two years in a row. That doesn't happen often, and I don't thonk it'll happen to Neyor (knock on wood). Since Neyor tore his in August (I believe?) he should be good to go come August. Margin Hooks posted a tweet showing Neyor moving pretty well, so I think/hope he comes back ready to go. But we still need at the very least 2 portal WR's. Cook, as talented as he is, isn't going to come in and be WR #1. Plus he's a pretty small guy. 

16 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Thanks for the answers. I take it Cook has the speed to get deep as does a healthy Neyor.

And CampCrunk informs about Niblett. 

Looks like Sark has this under control for the future. I'm optimistic.

The only issue is Thompson has speed but also iffy hands, much like Niblett. Cook is a small guy, but he's got great hands. If we can get Neyor back we'll be cooking with him and Cook, and Thompson in year 2 (assuming he's been working with the juggs machine). Don't count on Niblett being a big part this next season (he'll probably play as much as Thompson did until he gets the offense down). Hopefully Moore can be another reliable guy, but he's listed at 6'0 185, so let's assume he's 5'11. Sark seems to be getting too many shorter WR's, so let's pray he gets some big dudes from the portal to go along with Neyor. 

• Like 1

Cook is going to play day 1.  He’s a better route runner than anyone we have on campus outside of maybe Worthy.  He tracks the deep ball well and is going to be college ready from a physical standpoint.  Like coddax was saying, Margin Hooks has his WRs ready.  

Also, Worthy scrubbed his Instagram of Texas stuff.  He had a picture of him in a Texas jersey pinned as of yesterday at the top of his page and it’s since been deleted.  

• Hook 'Em 9

18 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Stewart and Cook and Neyor would be a big improvement in production.

Yup. I've defended Worthy. You can't teach that speed and he's valuable in the slot and on special teams. But he's cementing himself as a head-case with all the social media reactions and bullshit, and simply not worth the trouble. Needs to absolutely STFU and work his ass off and I don't see it happening.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I see Worthy, and I worry about the future of college football.

I see Sanders railing at Worthy, and I feel better about the future of college football. 

I think Worthy is on the hubris train heading for a shaky bridge. Too bad. Would've been nice had he worked harder and given a shit about his team.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

The only issue is Thompson has speed but also iffy hands, much like Niblett. Cook is a small guy, but he's got great hands. If we can get Neyor back we'll be cooking with him and Cook, and Thompson in year 2 (assuming he's been working with the juggs machine). Don't count on Niblett being a big part this next season (he'll probably play as much as Thompson did until he gets the offense down). Hopefully Moore can be another reliable guy, but he's listed at 6'0 185, so let's assume he's 5'11. Sark seems to be getting too many shorter WR's, so let's pray he gets some big dudes from the portal to go along with Neyor. 

None of the Alabama WRs were tall. All were 6' and under, Sarkisian wants to flood the field with elite athletes and get them in space.

Edited by HtownHorn

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

Cook is going to play day 1.  He’s a better route runner than anyone we have on campus outside of maybe Worthy.  He tracks the deep ball well and is going to be college ready from a physical standpoint.  Like coddax was saying, Margin Hooks has his WRs ready.  

Also, Worthy scrubbed his Instagram of Texas stuff.  He had a picture of him in a Texas jersey pinned as of yesterday at the top of his page and it’s since been deleted.  

He did this after the regular season was over. He does it for the reactions he gets.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

None of the Alabama WRs were tall. All were 6' and under.

I think Jeudy was a little above 6'1, but you're correct. The only difference is those Bama WR's were known to have solid hands, whereas Sark is getting guys under 6' with questionable hands at best. They do have speed, but speed doesn't do much when you have trouble catching. See Worthy, Xavier. But who really knows, tbh? Maybe their hands will get better with extra work put in...something Worthy knows nothing about. 

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He did this after the regular season was over. He does it for the reactions he gets.

Except this time he'll see no one gives a fuck 

• Hook 'Em 1