Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

You’re crazy if you think this won’t help their recruiting. They won’t be pulling top 5 classes or anything close to that, but this will obviously be a major boost for them.

TCU usually pulls one or two kids that the blue bloods are after, I’d expect that to increase some just by getting here. If they win the title, it would increase even more and I have no reason to root for that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Yes, if they're small then we should be small.

I don't deny the annoyance compounded by our sorry last decade+. Jackasses gloating like Aggies should be scorned.

But they haven't been in this position since prior to A&M's last claimed MNC. I've celebrated with my few TCU friends and it's rather delightful. I don't tie everything to Texas football. I'm not as tough as many of you to do so. Just trying to find a little more pleasure in the world. David defeating Goliath (when we're not Goliath which would be right and proper) is a great story.

Written without rancor.

• Hook 'Em 2

Fuck TCU.  I am not some Aggie SEC ball sucking homer. I had to sit by those pretentious frogs in DKR a few years ago. Wouldn’t shut the fuck up.  If I heard “Go Frogs!” One more time I was going to slap the shit out of him.  We did win that game and he left early so there was that.

Go Dawgs. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, texifornia said:

UGA fans are everywhere and annoying as shit. I know like two total TCU fans and they're good people. Also, rooting for the underdog is just more fun and the Hypnotoad thing is hilarious. Go Frogs.

This. Where I live, it’s Michigan fans>>>>>>>tOSU fans>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Georgia fans, and barely anyone knows what TCU is. TCU all the way.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Remember that time we had Quintin Johnston committed 

Never heard of him until he committed to Texas. When I saw this pic, wow!!! That's a keeper.

image.thumb.png.a13973a1de2e42c952eba1c864d6fbc9.png

Look how high his hips are from the ground, and how small the ball looks in his hand.  Is there any doubt he's gonna tomahawk that mofo through the hoop? That's Clyde Drexler, jump over somebody, NBA HOF stuff.  When he decommitted, I felt the same way I did when Billy Sims committed to OU?  Now, who was Quinn Ewers supposed to throw to? 

10 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Most likely - but I definitely remember hearing that a some of it was related to Herman being a flailing prick and Coleman being an unegaging lump. I think a better set of coaches and recruiters would have gone a long way towards keeping him. Maybe we'd have lost him no matter what - but not getting him will always piss me off. He would've been exactly what the Horns needed this year

Just leave it @ Tom Herman. A Texas offense that ran the QB 10-15 times a game would not appeal to a top WR.  Shit assistants. Immature prick.  Undisciplined team.

Quentin Johnson:  6’4” 215 lbs, 4.4 40 time, 42” vertical. Randy Moss w/ more spring in his legs. Can you see it...

image.thumb.png.38096d1df4548036931d4f7a5b4429b5.png

... now ... what if he played for Texas!!!

... talk about jumpin' like a jackrabbit ...

Fuck you Tom Herman!!!

8 hours ago, Vermin said:

Who needs actual trophies when you can hoist 247 composite top 5 recruiting class trophies?

That's a Bingo!  Results matter. 4* & 5* don't mean shit. Jevon Sheppard & Quentin Johnson were both highly recruited 4*.

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

I don't think it would impact Texas - so do we want TCU to win?

Yes it will impact Texas, and I absolutely want TCU to win. 

Because they Deserve it. Texas stepped on its Dick, and TCU didn't.

TCU winning a National Championship will not hurt Texas, but HS players that go to TCU means they didn't go to LSU, Alabama, Georgia, etc.

Texas needs to win. That's all we need, and all we have control of.

10 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm old fashioned. I just go on feeling. TCU is a disciplined underdog team from Texas with an exceptional QB playing a national power. 

I also do the unthinkable and pull for teams in our conference because it does impact the reputation of every team in the conference. 

I also don't hold any belief that whom I root for has any impact on anything including the interests of the University of Texas, my alma mater. I like college football to be fun.

The only exception to this will always be the Aggies. Never pull for a stalker. 

Well said. 

TCU is a feel good story and has been a solid, quality program for a long time. They did that with a roster, for the most part, that we wouldn't look at twice.

They are fun to watch because they do whatever it takes to win, not pretty football, but roll up your sleeves, get down in the dirt, and go get it.

I want the SEC! SEC! SEC! bullshit to get stomped on, and TCU is the one to do it.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, RollingPresidential said:

I find it incredibly embarrassing that a small private school with no alumni base and nowhere near our financial resources is in the championship while we’re wondering if our star receiver who can’t catch will transfer. It would be more embarrassing for them to win it. After twelve years, I am reduced to rooting for Texas to win and others to lose almost solely so people shut the fuck up. 

"... you reap what you sow ..."

Perhaps your letting you alligator mouth overload your hummingbird ass?

33 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Yes, if they're small then we should be small.

I don't deny the annoyance compounded by our sorry last decade+. Jackasses gloating like Aggies should be scorned.

But they haven't been in this position since prior to A&M's last claimed MNC. I've celebrated with my few TCU friends and it's rather delightful. I don’t tie everything to Texas Football. I'm not as tough as many of you to do so. Just trying to find a little more pleasure in the world. David defeating Goliath (when we're not Goliath which would be right and proper) is a great story.

Written without rancor.

B992A0E3-BF9D-404E-81F1-675A5166F490.thumb.jpeg.19ef91eeca0176b6cc1152a5cd453039.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Harvdog said:

Fuck TCU.  I am not some Aggie SEC ball sucking homer. I had to sit by those pretentious frogs in DKR a few years ago. Wouldn’t shut the fuck up.  If I heard “Go Frogs!” One more time I was going to slap the shit out of him.  We did win that game and he left early so there was that.

Go Dawgs. 

I laughed.

2 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Can you imagine how insufferable TCU fans would be if they won. Fuck that noise, go dawgs

Who knows TCU people?

I know 4 and they are fine to likable. (I was actually in the wedding of the couple… I forgot that.)

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

UGA fans are everywhere and annoying as shit. I know like two total TCU fans and they're good people. Also, rooting for the underdog is just more fun and the Hypnotoad thing is hilarious. Go Frogs.

Again, unless you live in Ft. Worth, how many horned frogs do people even encounter on an annual basis. 👩‍🦼

32 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

B992A0E3-BF9D-404E-81F1-675A5166F490.thumb.jpeg.19ef91eeca0176b6cc1152a5cd453039.jpeg

28 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

That chick should get an onlyfans.

16 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

A preview of what an OnlyFans account might offer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 3

I was wondering how recruiting between the two programs has differed for the makeup of current team rosters.

Figured I'd share my findings here.

247 Sports recruiting team "overall rank" for this year and the previous six years.

Horns average class ranking has been "10"

TCU average class ranking has been "30"

• Horns = 3
  • TCU = 19

• Horns = 5
  • TCU = 28

• Horns = 15
  • TCU = 44

• Horns = 9
  • TCU = 23

• Horns = 3
  • TCU = 32

• Horns = 3
  • TCU = 25

• Horns = 25
  • TCU = 28

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Who knows TCU people?

I know 4 and they are fine to likable. (I was actually in the wedding of the couple… I forgot that.)

Again, unless you live in Ft. Worth, how many horned frogs do people even encounter on an annual basis. 👩‍🦼

A preview of what an OnlyFans account might offer.

Hotter than a $5 pistol on Mayor of Kingstown. 

I really don’t a shit who wins. They both represent recruiting challenges largely created by our ineptitude. I just want a competitive and entertaining game. 

33 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Cook earning plaudits today for his route running at the UA practices.

https://www.on3.com/news/under-armour-all-america-top-performers-day-3-david-hicks-jalen-hale-jakeem-jackson/

Cook and Muhammad were the standouts today for Texas. Though there was a snippet at the end of Malik getting mossed by an Ohio state commit

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Who knows TCU people?

Napoleon showing compassion to a toad? WTF, snap out of it!

Napoleon Bonaparte on Make a GIF

3 hours ago, PTINS said:

"... you reap what you sow ..."

Perhaps your letting you alligator mouth overload your hummingbird ass?

I don't know what this is supposed to mean. Texas was national championship good my first two years in school (08 and 09) and has been mediocre to bad ever since. I don't think I have ever had the opportunity to boast to anyone about anything in like twelve years. I also have not experienced these alleged BMOC/chest-thumping Texas fans that I always seem to hear about - every Texas fan I've known for twelve years has been mostly cynical or at the very worst hopeful. Maybe it's because I haven't lived in Texas for a decade? I don't know. But I would, sincerely, like people to shut the fuck up with the "Texas is back!" and "lol, Kansas" type of shit, and the only way to do that is for Texas to win. TCU winning likely prolongs the take apocalypse that surrounds Texas football, so I'm against it. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

The average Georgia fan is 10x more insufferable, arrogant, and ill-informed than the average TCU alum.

Not a Fort Worth resident, I take it.

Georgia fans, like Ohio State fans, may be despicable human beings, but I have to make the conscious choice to be surrounded by them. 

5 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Not a Fort Worth resident, I take it.

Georgia fans, like Ohio State fans, may be despicable human beings, but I have to make the conscious choice to be surrounded by them. 

The ATL branch of the family tree has been pretty obnoxious the last several years.  Only one of them actually attended UGA, but since the rest went to small schools across the south, they all claim UGA as their team.

Just now, conVINCEd said:

The ATL branch of the family tree has been pretty obnoxious the last several years.  Only one of them actually attended UGA, but since the rest went to small schools across the south, they all claim UGA as their team.

Having an UGA branch of the family would definitely alter the calculus. It reduces the conscious choice to be around them factor somewhat. 

1 hour ago, ATXbronco said:

I was wondering how recruiting between the two programs has differed for the makeup of current team rosters.

247 Sports recruiting team "overall rank" for this year and the previous six years.

• Horns = 3
  • TCU = 19

• Horns = 5
  • TCU = 28

• Horns = 15
  • TCU = 44

• Horns = 9
  • TCU = 23

• Horns = 3
  • TCU = 32

• Horns = 3
  • TCU = 25

• Horns = 25
  • TCU = 28

You didn't do much work if you think your findings for 2017-2021 are in any way accurate. I too can go to 247 and jot down some numbers great fucking investigation

Edited by Michael Knight

10 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

They’re great people and a blast to be around when their football team isn’t playing.

I grew up in Fort Worth close enough to Amon Carter that I could occasionally hear sounds from the games. Most of my friends and family were TCU fans. We weren’t rolling in cash, but every other Christmas I got an IOU for a ticket to the Texas-TCU game. 

Texas beat their asses. I was at the 81-16 game in 1974. I never said a peep about any of that to any of them. Just wore my Texas shirts. 

These sons of bitches — some I haven’t heard from in decades — just cannot shut the fuck up. I’m full-on UGA for 8.5 days. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

For a lot of people this seems to come down to “there are a lot of annoying TCU/UGA fans in my life and I can’t bear to be around them if they win.”  All politics is local as they say, and you have an insufferable brother in law or co-worker that’s a TCU fan, I don’t blame you one bit for pulling for UGA. My second order familial ties to TCU have been positive, as have been my trips on their campus and seeing games there against teams other than Texas.  On the other hand, I’ve had UGA fans bark in my face, so I admit that colors my outlook on the game. 

14 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

You didn't do much work if you think your findings for 2017-2021 are in any way accurate. I too can go to 247 and jot down some numbers great fucking investigation

Pretty sure I quoted 247 as my source.

WTF were you expecting.  

"investigation" lmao 

Just now, Duane Moore said:

For a lot of people this seems to come down to “there are a lot of annoying TCU/UGA fans in my life and I can’t bear to be around them if they win.”  All politics is local as they say, and you have an insufferable brother in law or co-worker that’s a TCU fan, I don’t blame you one bit for pulling for UGA. My second order familial ties to TCU have been positive, as have been my trips on their campus and seeing games there against teams other than Texas.  On the other hand, I’ve had UGA fans bark in my face, so I admit that colors my outlook on the game. 

I think the most tangible thing is annoying fans of either school or previous allegiances to them. Any disdain I had for Georgia from the 1984 Cotton Bowl was ameliorated by the Sugar Bowl.

The realistic, quantifiable impact on Texas either way should be rounding error if Texas handles Texas business and irrelevant if Texas doesn’t. I’ll spend no time thinking about the game once it’s over I’d just rather not have to deal with the side effects of a TCU win. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/31/2022 at 7:34 AM, mwaadeeb said:

Yup. I've defended Worthy. You can't teach that speed and he's valuable in the slot and on special teams. But he's cementing himself as a head-case with all the social media reactions and bullshit, and simply not worth the trouble. Needs to absolutely STFU and work his ass off and I don't see it happening.

I have no disagreements with any of the criticisms of Worthy, but he's still just a sophomore. I didn't think Hudson Card or our LBs would figure it out, either -- but it appears that, for the first time in I don't even know how long, we have a coaching staff that has the ability to develop players. So... Worthy might figure it out. 

If he doesn't, he'll get passed on the depth chart. Up until now, he's been the tallest midget in the circus. That's gonna change.

20 hours ago, utexas8 said:

This is crazy to think but even as far as TCU made it and even if they win the championship. Us, OU, and a&m will always have a better recruiting class than them. Lol

"Always?" No. Only since 2022.

You don't go through an entire season with most of your OL starters being freshmen if you've been recruiting decently at all.

14 hours ago, Vermin said:

Who needs actual trophies when you can hoist 247 composite top 5 recruiting class trophies?

See above. Recruiting rankings aren't completely meaningless, but if the recruits don't stick around, don't develop, or don't meet positions of need... you done goofed.

4 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

No apology necessary. Although that's far from the most flattering photo I've seen of her.

1 hour ago, ATXbronco said:

Now do every other team ahead of them in the rankings over that timeframe. The stars have clearly aligned for TCU this year. Let’s revisit the subject this time next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

• Horns = 3
  • TCU = 19

• Horns = 5
  • TCU = 28

• Horns = 15
  • TCU = 44

• Horns = 9
  • TCU = 23

• Horns = 3
  • TCU = 32

• Horns = 3
  • TCU = 25

• Horns = 25
  • TCU = 28

Now list out the players that are still on campus from those years and how their production matched their star ranking. Lulz, including 2023.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Agreed on the TCU fanbase. They are very few and far between in Houston. I know all of 1 person. I’m happy for him. He’s a hell of a nice guy. He said he’d be happy with just one playoff win. He got it.

2 houses on my street, 2 on the street over and I live in Austin. They just don't move to Houston because the coke is better in Austin 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1