Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Does anybody actually know any TCU grads? Feel like I've been in Texas my whole life and have never met one. Maybe I have and just didn't know it.

Pete Gardere's older brother and a hot strawberry blond chick from high school.

3 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I think the most tangible thing is annoying fans of either school or previous allegiances to them. Any disdain I had for Georgia from the 1984 Cotton Bowl was ameliorated by the Sugar Bowl.

The realistic, quantifiable impact on Texas either way should be rounding error if Texas handles Texas business and irrelevant if Texas doesn’t. I’ll spend no time thinking about the game once it’s over I’d just rather not have to deal with the side effects of a TCU win. 

Definitely agree with you on the second part. If we take care of our business on the field, TCU is not going to be an issue for us in recruiting even if they win next Monday. 

Part of my lack of hate for TCU stems from when I was in school. During the McWilliams era I saw a lot of bad football, and yet we never lost to TCU the whole time I was on the 40 Acres. It’s just hard for me to get worked up about them in the way I do about even U of H, who beat our ass 3 out of 4 years. I can understand and appreciate that things are different for you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Definitely agree with you on the second part. If we take care of our business on the field, TCU is not going to be an issue for us in recruiting even if they win next Monday. 

Part of my lack of hate for TCU stems from when I was in school. During the McWilliams era I saw a lot of bad football, and yet we never lost to TCU the whole time I was on the 40 Acres. It’s just hard for me to get worked up about them in the way I do about even U of H, who beat our ass 3 out of 4 years. I can understand and appreciate that things are different for you. 

I would also want Houston to lose. So badly that Jenkins and Klingler felt it in their bones. And that would be really, really badly. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I grew up in Fort Worth close enough to Amon Carter that I could occasionally hear sounds from the games. Most of my friends and family were TCU fans. We weren’t rolling in cash, but every other Christmas I got an IOU for a ticket to the Texas-TCU game. 

Texas beat their asses. I was at the 81-16 game in 1974. I never said a peep about any of that to any of them. Just wore my Texas shirts. 

These sons of bitches — some I haven’t heard from in decades — just cannot shut the fuck up. I’m full-on UGA for 8.5 days. 

So you attended Bluebonnet or Westcliff?  Because Tanglewood and Alice Carlson you were rolling in cash.  And everyone I know that attended UGA  - been several - were acid head hippies who to this day haven't grown the fuck up.

3 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Does anybody actually know any TCU grads? Feel like I've been in Texas my whole life and have never met one. Maybe I have and just didn't know it.

My wife, three of her nieces, and one of her nephews. And another nephew is there now, and was at the fiesta bowl yesterday. And I’ve got a cousin that started there before transferring to arky. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

CEO (retired) of Fortune 500 company

Went to work for his company because I wanted to work for him.

Played baseball @ TCU.  Great person, best hand shake + eye contact person I ever met.

I sent him an email this morning.

24 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Not the best pic, there’s maybe 2 in that group I would take home at 2am.  

if I zoom out and squint, they look a little better. 

I didn’t spend a lot of time on it.  TCU has the highest percetage of hot chicks of any school in the state, and that is a hill I’m willing to die on.

• Hook 'Em 4

Don't know any TCU grads and they may be fine.  Its the tshirt fans I have issues with.  Have a lot of family and acquaintances in and around DFW, and a lot of them claim TCU as if they have some deep attachment in the school even though none went there, they didn't give a shit prior to the last 10 years, and most didn't even go to college.  When TCU beats Texas they strut around talking shit as if they were so invested in them winning, even though I've never said a word over the years when we won.  They'll be insuferable as it is and only worse if they beat Georgia.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I know quite a few of them mostly from my private middle school and high school. I saw some of them at our game this year. They didn't really talk a ton a shit which I found surprising. I think most of them would've gone to UT if they had the grades to get in or UT was more like the UT their parents went to. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Don't know any TCU grads and they may be fine.  Its the tshirt fans I have issues with.  Have a lot of family and acquaintances in and around DFW, and a lot of them claim TCU as if they have some deep attachment in the school even though none went there, they didn't give a shit prior to the last 10 years, and most didn't even go to college. 

This sentiment would be right at home on TexAgs…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, cafe society said:

So you attended Bluebonnet or Westcliff?  Because Tanglewood and Alice Carlson you were rolling in cash.  And everyone I know that attended UGA  - been several - were acid head hippies who to this day haven't grown the fuck up.

Bluebonnet. Walked past McLean on the way to school. Played baseball all summer in the field across the street from McLean. Got water from the fountain inside St. Andrew’s church. Got Slurpees at the 7-11 on Bluebonnet Circle when University was still two lanes. A long ass time ago. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, LCHorn said:

This sentiment would be right at home on TexAgs…

I didn't realize aggys also have issues with TCU tshirt fans, because that's the only fanbase my comment was directed toward.  In general, I find former students of most fanbases such as aggy, Tech, etc., much more insuferable than the tshirt fans, precisely because the latter don't have the same level of investment.  All of which makes the TCU tshirt fans I've seen seem so odd that way.

However, I don't spend time on other team's fansites, so please enlighten me on the aggy sentiment toward TCU tshirt fans.

22 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

However, I don't spend time on other team's fansites, so please enlighten me on the aggy sentiment toward TCU tshirt fans.

Aggie has a weird fixation with purity tests for fandom that you apparently share.   

There’s enough institutional barriers for all kinds of things-why create one around sports? (plus it’s particularly incongruent for a UT fan to say-we profit from the broad, non-graduate fandom more than most).  

46 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

I didn't realize aggys also have issues with TCU tshirt fans, because that's the only fanbase my comment was directed toward.  In general, I find former students of most fanbases such as aggy, Tech, etc., much more insuferable than the tshirt fans, precisely because the latter don't have the same level of investment.  All of which makes the TCU tshirt fans I've seen seem so odd that way.

Over use of “Aggy”. T-shirt fans?  Former student?  Sounds like a Texags plant or double agent to me.  Non Aggies would call then casual fans and alumni….just sayin’

8 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yep, I have a co-worker who's a grad and she's a smoke show. She was a cheerleader there, so it makes sense.  She mentioned in passing the other day that her recruiting insider source thinks Duce Robinson is going to sign with Texas in February.

See... Now it's recruiting related

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Anything noteworthy in this update?

As far as 2023 notes go, McDonald will announce on the 7th. Texas looks good.

Duce Robinson will announce on the 1st weekend in Feb., Texas is likely 2nd behind Georgia, USC is 3rd, and Alabama is on the outside looking in. Has a visit to Oregon that could change everything. 

Basically, the same shit they have been saying since the 1st signing day.

• Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

You’ll rival derka’s all-time Sam whiff if you’re wrong on Duce.

He's wishcasting.  If you didn't quote him I'd never see his dumbass posts.

Some of the national observers feel that we have a chance with Duce, particularly because we typically play great baseball.  

17 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Holy shit. It feels like Owen's just ousted aggy for still paying players under the table rather than legitimate NIL deals.

SmartSelect_20230102_182055_Chrome.jpg

Jimbo pretty much did that after last signing day and all summer in his little spat with Saban……and nobody questioned anything. Everyone kept using the word “NIL” eventhough Jimbo said none of the young guys got it…and he really didn’t know what NIL was to begin with. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Can you imagine how insufferable TCU fans would be if they won. Fuck that noise, go dawgs
I live in FW, don't have to imagine anything..froggy people are acting like they already won it.

Having said that, anyone who thinks TCU winning it all won't be a problem for us in head to head recruiting...wtf? Cockroaches already are a pita with a few head to head, this would make it worse. Don't forget FW isn't the sleepy cowtown it used to be, plenty of NIL opportunities for frog players. Having said that, most of the damage is already done since they're the first Big 12 team to win a playoff game...and I can't believe I just typed that.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

He's wishcasting.  If you didn't quote him I'd never see his dumbass posts.

Some of the national observers feel that we have a chance with Duce, particularly because we typically play great baseball.  

hey buddy, we all know you’re clueless.  

• Haha 1