Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm shocked, SHOCKED that you read his post and thought he was talking about Miami, as opposed to Columbus. Because he was fucking talking about Columbus.

Obviously he mean't Miami, Ohio... come on man.

(his initial post was sarcasm, did you have your morning coffee yet? Unless I'm giving the posters sense of humor too much credit)

Edited by BornAndRaised
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

OK, I gotta admit that things like this make me feel schizophrenic. One side of my brain is ecstatic because I love college football, and the Horns, and totally on board doing what we need to do to be successful. I totally get the money that needs to be sent. The other side of my brain says WTF!!! We're spending how much money on one weekend? And this is just one weekend, for one college. For a game.  Multiply that out and we're talking money that could wipe out probably any world issues you can think of. OK, social awareness over. Go Horns and BTH out of everyone. 

Edited by Mo Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Obviously he mean't Miami, Ohio... come on man.

(his initial post was sarcasm, did you have your morning coffee yet? Unless I'm giving the posters sense of humor too much credit)

I feel like this is a poster with a history of bad takes. And his follow up post after saying Miami was small was talking about big metro areas. So...Feeling pretty good about this one. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

OK, I gotta admit that things like this make me feel schizophrenic. One side of my brain is ecstatic because I love college football, and the Horns, and totally on board doing what we need to do to be successful. I totally get the money that needs to be sent. The other side of my brain says WTF!!! We're spending how much money on one weekend? And this is just one weekend, for one college. For a game.  Multiply that out and we're talking money that could wipe out probably any world issues got can think of. OK, social awareness over. Go Horns and BTH out of everyone. 

I think you're drastically underestimating the cost it takes to "wipe out world issues." You think world hunger goes away with 650k? Those two weekends cost like 5 javelin missiles. Ukraine wants to know why the war isn't over yet. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I think you're drastically underestimating the cost it takes to "wipe out world issues." You think world hunger goes away with 650k? Those two weekends cost like 5 javelin missiles. Ukraine wants to know why the war isn't over yet. 

But multiply it by all college football teams in America. Add other sports as well. And this is just for recruiting. Factor in stadiums, travel, and the list goes on.

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I feel like this is a poster with a history of bad takes. And his follow up post after saying Miami was small was talking about big metro areas. So...Feeling pretty good about this one. 

I'm waiting with bated breath to see if they double down or back pedal. I shouldn't have thrown them the Miami, Ohio bone.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Your history of inability to know anything about Miami is the problem, sir. 

Ranked by population:

2. Los Angeles - 3,919,973

11. Austin - 996,147

14. Columbus - 929,492

43. Miami - 450,797

(and yes, I knew he was talking about fucking Columbus).

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

But multiply it by all college football teams in America. Add other sports as well. And this is just for recruiting. Factor in stadiums, travel, and the list goes on.

I feel like I shouldn't have to say this on a Texas football website, but you do realize that not all college football teams and programs are created equal, right? Most of them are net even at best or net negative. The other sports are almost entirely net negative, save men's hooops. Factor in stadiums, which are usually privately financed? 

Just stop it. We understood your point, but the way you made it was absurd and inaccurate. Lets not talk about this further, we're going to fuck up the thread. And by We, I mean mostly Me because I'm probably going to keep replying to you. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Ranked by population:

11. Austin - 996,147

14. Columbus - 929,492

43. Miami - 450,797

or, compared to Miami, Ohio

Population: 106,074

2 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I'm waiting with bated breath to see if they double down or back pedal. I shouldn't have thrown them the Miami, Ohio bone.

Many people will do whatever they can to save face. Talking about the advantages of big MSA's as key is hard to ignore. But by all means, lets let him opine about the advantages Northwestern, Rice, Penn and Occidental College have in recruiting. 

4 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Ranked by population:

11. Austin - 996,147

14. Columbus - 929,492

43. Miami - 450,797

No one believes you. Because otherwise you look even more retarded talking about the advantages of big MSA's, which you're still trying to justify. As you offered forth...check's notes...Minnesota as an example. The other option is that you knew he was talking about Columbus, but then you decided to go off on a completely unrelated tangent that actually counters to OP's point, without explicitly stating it. I mean, both choices are pretty stupid. So, you do you, buddy. We're all just here to enjoy it. 

3 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Miami University is in Oxford, Ohio and it's considerably smaller than 100k. I don't think there's such a place as Miami, Ohio...?

image.thumb.png.73059f2925de6d541104c672104336b7.png

Also it's apparently a bit racist, because if you scroll down, Google provides us a list of the most commonly asked questions...

image.png.ce7a91a0120bfa1b15207b1e25235ea5.png

I promise I didn't make that population number up, but I can't find it again so I'll just take the L on that one at the hope of letting my bad joke die.

• Hook 'Em 1

No one believes you. Because otherwise you look even more retarded talking about the advantages of big MSA's, which you're still trying to justify. As you offered forth...check's notes...Minnesota as an example. The other option is that you knew he was talking about Columbus, but then you decided to go off on a completely unrelated tangent that actually counters to OP's point, without explicitly stating it. I mean, both choices are pretty stupid. So, you do you, buddy. We're all just here to enjoy it. 

It's amazing how obtuse you really are. Stating Miami is a small town is clearly a joke. 

I'll explain the joke to you, but I'm still not sure if you'll get it. 

See, Miami has a really tiny population. Only 450,000 . Even though it's known to have a large metro area (over 2MM people).

So, when he said "One of these places are not like the other", he clearly meant Columbus. Everybody knew he meant Columbus, because it's a shithole more likely to have a Burning Couch Supercenter than a 4 Seasons. 

Since Columbus is the obvious choice - so obvious that even YOU were able to glean that - I made the joke that he must mean Miami as the odd one out. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Hornlover said:

It's amazing how obtuse you really are. Stating Miami is a small town is clearly a joke. 

I'll explain the joke to you, but I'm still not sure if you'll get it. 

See, Miami has a really tiny population. Only 450,000 . Even though it's known to have a large metro area (over 2MM people).

So, when he said "One of these places are not like the other", he clearly meant Columbus. Everybody knew he meant Columbus, because it's a shithole more likely to have a Burning Couch Supercenter than a 4 Seasons. 

Since Columbus is the obvious choice - so obvious that even YOU were able to glean that - I made the joke that he must mean Miami as the odd one out. 

I'm aware Miami is small, sir. Listen, I considered it was a joke. And then I saw your immediate follow up post:

35 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

There are obviously other locations, but they don't have traditionally important football teams.

Cal and Stanford have some advantages being in the Bay Area. 

Arizona State, Vandy, Washington, Northwestern, SMU, Houston, UTSA, BC, Minnesota, UCF, SDSU are all in big metro areas too.

Talking about schools in big MSA's. So you either took the wind out of your own joke by rambling on about that shit, or it wasn't a joke in the first place. Whatever dude, this is exhausting so I'm bowing out. But I do want to legitimately thank you for inadvertently bringing to my attention that Oxford, OH is as explicitly anti-Semitic as I assume the rest of Ohio is, so much obliged. 

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's the WASP Containment Zone of Ohio colleges. Country club vibe, really pretty girls, but not exactly diverse.

Just say it's Ohio, dude. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm aware Miami is small, sir. Listen, I considered it was a joke. And then I saw your immediate follow up post:

Talking about schools in big MSA's. So you either took the wind out of your own joke by rambling on about that shit, or it wasn't a joke in the first place. Whatever dude, this is exhausting so I'm bowing out. But I do want to legitimately thank you for inadvertently bringing to my attention that Oxford, OH is as explicitly anti-Semitic as I assume the rest of Ohio is, so much obliged. 

Just say it's Ohio, dude. 

The joke post was just a joke post.

The follow-up post was separate because it had different context. It was back on track toward the meat of the conversation - which is the big-city advantages some schools have, though it's not enough to just be in a big metro area. Which is why I originally mentioned Texas, USC, Miami and OSU.

The ones mentioned in the followup might someday be able to parlay big metro area advantages to success on the football field, but it's probably unlikely.  

I probably also forgot to mention UCLA, UNC, Cincinnati, and others. 

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

OK, I gotta admit that things like this make me feel schizophrenic. One side of my brain is ecstatic because I love college football, and the Horns, and totally on board doing what we need to do to be successful. I totally get the money that needs to be sent. The other side of my brain says WTF!!! We're spending how much money on one weekend? And this is just one weekend, for one college. For a game.  Multiply that out and we're talking money that could wipe out probably any world issues you can think of. OK, social awareness over. Go Horns and BTH out of everyone. 

You find a trans hobo that can throw a spiral like Arch and I’ll stand with you on your social soapbox.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I feel like I shouldn't have to say this on a Texas football website, but you do realize that not all college football teams and programs are created equal, right? Most of them are net even at best or net negative. The other sports are almost entirely net negative, save men's hooops. Factor in stadiums, which are usually privately financed? 

Just stop it. We understood your point, but the way you made it was absurd and inaccurate. Lets not talk about this further, we're going to fuck up the thread. And by We, I mean mostly Me because I'm probably going to keep replying to you. 

That and it's actually a net positive for the city. They're spending that money in local businesses, tipping local wait staff. I'd argue there's probably a multiplication factor for Austin not a net negative.

I worked at Trulucks back in the Mack era and they did a recruiting dinner there. They paid my rent for 3 months that night

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
  • Hook 'Em 4