Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

For what its worth - there are only 2 uncommitted DB's that Texas has offers out to.  One is Toviano, the other is Rodrick Pleasant out of Junipero Serra.

https://247sports.com/player/rodrick-pleasant-46116608/

Pleasant doesn't currently have any CB's.  He's taken OV's to Oregon and Boston College.

JESUS looking at Pleasant's ridiculous 100m & 200m track times & that he's only a mid 4-star, I'm gonna assume he's raw at playing CB.

For what its worth - there are only 2 uncommitted DB's that Texas has offers out to.  One is Toviano, the other is Rodrick Pleasant out of Junipero Serra.

Pleasant doesn't currently have any CB's.  He's taken OV's to Oregon and Boston College.

You left out the newest offer from Red Oak.

Dude can fly:

Scouting Report

Athletic Background

Also runs track.
CIF state champion as a junior in the 100 and 200 with a wind-aided 10.30 and a wind-aided 20.56, respectively. Ran wind-legal PRs of 10.14 and 20.40, which both sit atop the Spring 2022 national rankings on MileSplit.
Ran a 10.32 100 and a 20.59 200 as a sophomore.
- Gabe Brooks

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I have been on the Pleasant bandwagon for a while but the articles I've read indicate he really likes USC.  

31 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Dude can fly:

Scouting Report

Athletic Background

Also runs track.
CIF state champion as a junior in the 100 and 200 with a wind-aided 10.30 and a wind-aided 20.56, respectively. Ran wind-legal PRs of 10.14 and 20.40, which both sit atop the Spring 2022 national rankings on MileSplit.
Ran a 10.32 100 and a 20.59 200 as a sophomore.
- Gabe Brooks

I'd offer a guy like this every cycle and tell him he's playing WR and returning kicks.  With Quinn's arm, we need as many burners as we can get.

3 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

CB can always be addressed in the portal, as well. I'm not going to worry about any position unless Texas goes 5-7 again.

and it should only be to add elite players. We saw Johnson and Jordan ball out on Saturday. Bama WRs couldn't get much separation. CB is good hands, but we need to close Muhammed.

Brooks is coming along, and Watts had another strong performance, though he needs to break down his blitzes so it is easier to wrap up.

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I'm not. Like was mentioned above, CB is not the hardest position to find in the portal and as long as we hang on to Muhammad, we will be okay. It's encouraging that Austin Jordan from last cycle appear to be sticking at CB. That changes the outlook of the room from a numbers standpoint because there seemed to be questions if he would end up at safety. And having Allen and Hampton already in the boat in 2024 means that numbers still look good long term even if we end up only taking 1 true CB this cycle. Would obviously prefer we end up with 2 but I don't think it's dire.

Jamier Johnson was on the field for Bama's last drive. Not sure if that means something's there or if it's an indictment of where we stand depthwise at that position

2 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

Not really. Bama has plenty of highly rated receivers, including Georgia's leading receiver from last year.  We just need Saban to wait until after their bowl game to fire BoB. 

I'd sell Saban retiring until it's true, BoB leaving/getting canned and that their Heisman QB Bryce Young is likely going pro.  Also, Flood's offensive line, a stacked qb room, Marion as WR coach, a dynamic run game with stacked rb room coached by Choice, Sark's offensive scheme and prior development at Bama, and the likely upper trajectory of the offense.   

Edited by Mdhorn

5 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Jamier Johnson was on the field for Bama's last drive. Not sure if that means something's there or if it's an indictment of where we stand depthwise at that position

Johnson was singled out in spring and camp reports constantly for his progress and work ethic. While he's not the most athletic player on the field, he's a good technician that knows the calls. That said, I would expect that an elite prospect (see closing speed) will outplay him and supplant him on the depth chart. If they keep Brooks at cb, he's probably the most likely candidate next offseason, followed by MM if he sticks. Brooks was 16 when he enrolled. He'll break out in a major way. 

Austin Jordan acquitted himself well. Ish is on the 3-deep. There are options on campus, it's just that Johnson is the best of them. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

Johnson played a lot after Jamison left in the 2Q, he's the backup at the position. He played well. Barron could move back there for a game or two if needed. Jordan replaced Johnson for a few snaps and he played well, too. 

CB depth is not a problem this year or next year.

I know this may be hard for many to grasp considering the past decade plus, but maybe just maybe, the players are actually developing under this coaching staff, such that players are growing into their roles in their 2nd year.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Johnson played a lot after Jamison left in the 2Q, he's the backup at the position. He played well. Barron could move back there for a game or two if needed. Jordan replaced Johnson for a few snaps and he played well, too. 

CB depth is not a problem this year or next year.

I know this may be hard for many to grasp considering the past decade plus, but maybe just maybe, the players are actually developing under this coaching staff, such that players are growing into their roles in their 2nd year.

Didn’t the 995ers say they had a hard time pushing kids to the portal because they felt like they were getting developed and could see the improvement in their game? Thought it was bs at the time but hell it might be true

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Johnson was singled out in spring and camp reports constantly for his progress and work ethic. While he's not the most athletic player on the field, he's a good technician that knows the calls. That said, I would expect that an elite prospect (see closing speed) will outplay him and supplant him on the depth chart. If they keep Brooks at cb, he's probably the most likely candidate next offseason, followed by MM if he sticks. Brooks was 16 when he enrolled. He'll break out in a major way. 

Austin Jordan acquitted himself well. Ish is on the 3-deep. There are options on campus, it's just that Johnson is the best of them. 

Crazy that he's a year older than Ojomo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, TommyGufano said:

Pretty sure that Deal has always seen himself as a DL; recruitniks and coaching staffs less so

mdeal.png

57 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s how I remembered it too but I was too busy today to confirm earlier. Thanks. 

Yup, you're right. I had it backwards. I was thinking he wanted to be an OL, while his potential is at DL. I was wrong. 

13 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

I'd sell Saban retiring until it's true, BoB leaving/getting canned 

I don’t think BoB getting fired or leaving is a good selling point for Texas or any other team. If I’m Sark, I’d say at look at this butt chinned clown calling plays, he’ll be on the staff for years. 

Bobby:

I get the sense that recruiting is starting to take further shape behind the scenes.

Last week’s performance served to cement a few relationships the Horns had with key recruits, and it also showcased what Texas could look like to others both near and far.

Nothing is impending to my knowledge, but after speaking with Gerry and Justin on Sunday and yesterday, I get the very real sense that you’ll like where things are headed.

• Hook 'Em 5

16 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Vasek: I'm going to visit Texas for the Alabama game

Venables: Uh...well...I can understand that. I bet your dad has season tickets.

Vasek: Yeah, he does.

Venables: ..........are you going to sit with your dad?

Vasek: I am not. I've got recruit tickets. 

Venables: 3a5.gif

I didn't need to laugh this hard this early.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

If we beat OU, then we're likely exceeding expectations on the field, and going after bigger edge targets than Vasek.

Who? 

We would take both Damon Wilson and Vasek. Is there another national elite we've been recruiting, or would this be a fresh relationship beginning in October?

• Hook 'Em 4