Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Who? 

We would take both Damon Wilson and Vasek. Is there another national elite we've been recruiting, or would this be a fresh relationship beginning in October?

Here is a more realistic one than Wilson albeit both are unlikely at the moment

https://247sports.com/player/jordan-hall-46113691/

27 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Who? 

We would take both Damon Wilson and Vasek. Is there another national elite we've been recruiting, or would this be a fresh relationship beginning in October?

Wilson, Shelby, Akana. Maybe check in on Uiagalelei, Bai Jobe. 

I guess I'm just not sold on Vasek. 

4 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

For the fun of arguing, imminent was the better choice. Impending usually comes along with doom… impending doom.

JesusSweatDuck and his followers have been preaching the impending doom

For 2,000 years

In a world that was 4,000 years old at the time...

Trust me, he's an expert on the proper uses of imminent and impending

Best Christian Bale Confused Gif GIFs | Gfycat

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

For some reason, there are posters on IT who legit think Akana isn't worth a take. Than again, I have to remind myself there are posters who also felt Vasek wasn't worth a take.

Are they the same posters that didn't think the the 3-star brother that was offered to ge his 4-star brother was a wasted offer?

Justin Wells: On3 four-star EDGE Tausili Akana recaps Texas official visit

A top target at one of Texas’ remaining needs in the 2023 class made an official visit to Austin over the weekend. On3 four-star EDGE Tausili Akana watched a fantastic game while the Longhorns left a strong impression on the out-of-state prospect. It was the second trip to the University of Texas for the 6-foot-3, 210-pound Lehi (Utah) Skyridge product. Despite UT’s 20-19 loss to No. 1 Alabama, Akana came away thoroughly impressed. “It was a lot of fun,” said Akana. “I loved it overall. The game was so crazy. The defense was balling out.”

Akana loved the sets deployed by Pete Kwiatkowski’s defense and the way they used players at EDGE on Saturday. Texas definitely moved the needle with the former Kahuku (Hawaii) star with help from Texas linebacker and host Jaylan Ford. “I love Texas’ defensive scheme,” Akana said. “(Texas’ message) was there’s nowhere like Austin. I can see it.”

Akana’s good friend, Liona Lefau, is a 2023 Texas pledge and is doing a little recruiting of his own. Add that Akana’s sister, Keonilei, transferred into Texas’ volleyball program this summer, and the data points begin to add up for the Longhorns.

Akana is looking at a trip to LSU next, but I’m told the Tigers might be looking at other priorities. He also wants to see Oklahoma and Texas A&M before a possible decision in December.

Recruiting Notebook (8/17/22): How Akana fits at Texas

Akana is a pretty interesting player, his positional designation will likely end up being the “Buck” EDGE position because he’s currently a bit lighter at 210 and would need to add a great deal of weight to end up at the “Jack” position. Akana is a very explosive player in his reactions though, with the physicality and violent hands to play on the line of scrimmage and so you wonder what he might be capable of with the requisite size and strength. He’ll definitely end up at an EDGE position, his ability to hit the gas at any moment and close on the ball paired with solid reach and good hands will make him a terror coming around the corner. – Ian Boyd

Coach Says

Strengths – Great frame for this position with longish arms. Not done growing. Shows great flexibility in the hips with great hip roll. Quick feet. Explosive first step and tremendous closing speed. Chases down backside pursuit quickly. He transfers power from lower to upper body efficiently. he delivers significant power through the tackle. Keeps legs moving on contact. Will post the blocker and set the edge with a free shoulder. Good upper body strength to keep his outside shoulder free. Will run the arc effectively, converting speed to power. Active hands. High motor. High floor player.

Areas for Improvement / Concerns – Some highlights have him showing his back to the blocker in spin moves. Will get upfield quickly and looks vulnerable to the draw underneath him, but this seems more of a scheme/coaching point than a habit of the player. Opponent film consistently shows them running away from him. Ability to cover open space is a question.

How this affects Texas

The Horns need a bona fide EDGE in this cycle and in the program. Akana brings the quick-strike physical mentality to the position at 6-foot-3, 210-215 pounds. With Derion Gullette in the fold, Akana allows the staff flexibility when recruiting to fill the defensive line room. With Texas A&M, LSU, Utah, BYU, Oregon, and USC still pushing, Akana visiting Texas officially on September 10th for the Alabama contest remains a huge opportunity to maintain momentum with the Hawaii native. – Justin Wells

Akana ranks as the No. 79 prospect and No. 12 EDGE in the country per the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies. The Consensus rate Akana as the No. 1 player in Utah. The four-star has an On3 NIL Valuation of $114K. The On3 NIL Valuation is an index that looks to set the standard market value for both high school and college-level athletes. The NIL valuation does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Justin Wells: On3 four-star EDGE Tausili Akana recaps Texas official visit

Not sure if I'm reading it wrong, but that seems like an outdated quote from Wells.

" With Texas A&M, LSU, Utah, BYU, Oregon, and USC still pushing, Akana visiting Texas officially on September 10th for the Alabama contest remains a huge opportunity to maintain momentum with the Hawaii native." – Justin Wells

33 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Are they the same posters that didn't think the the 3-star brother that was offered to ge his 4-star brother was a wasted offer?

It's hard to argue that the offer was wasted because it was just an offer and the lesser Brock eventually went to Alabama with his better brother so no scholarship harm.

(Yes, I know who you're referring to.)

13 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

It's hard to argue that the offer was wasted because it was just an offer and the lesser Brock eventually went to Alabama with his better brother so no scholarship harm.

(Yes, I know who you're referring to.)

Just to make sure, I wasn't referring to the Brocks. And I clearly remember a poster called no poster thinking that the 3-star offer was wasted.

IT Tuesday Recruiting Update

Spoiler

Inside Texas takes a look at the latest from Texas Longhorn recruiting targets Jalen Hale, Justin Williams, and Jeremiah McClellan, plus a new visitor for this weekend in Austin.

Jalen Hale, WR, Longview (Texas)
For Texas fans, this has been one Hale of a recruitment. For the first few years of this process, the Longhorns weren’t on Hale’s radar. With offers from virtually every school in the nation early in his prep career, there were a handful programs that stood out for the No. 54 overall prospect in the On3 Consensus.

Oklahoma and Texas A&M were first on the scene. Then LSU made a push. Lincoln Riley moved to Southern Cal and took the recruitment with him. Alabama and Georgia jumped into the fray and made Hale’s final schools list.

But when Texas wide receivers coach Brennan Marion became involved, this recruitment began to turn toward Austin. Add Steve Sarkisian’s offense, 2023 Texas commits Johntay Cook, Arch Manning, and Cedric Baxter jumping into the mix, and an outstanding official visit weekend on the Forty Acres, and that leads to where we are today.

Hale still has an official visit scheduled to Texas A&M on September 17th for the Miami game, but I get the sense the Aggies are playing from behind.

Currently, Inside Texas believes it’s a Texas-Alabama battle for his commitment when he announces on September 21st. The Crimson Tide stole some of the Longhorns’ momentum two weeks ago, but Texas snagged it back last weekend.

As of today, Inside Texas plans on being at Longview for Hale’s announcement next Wednesday. That’s the biggest nugget in this story.

2024 Justin Williams, LB, Conroe (Texas) Oak Ridge
The 6-foot-2, 190-pound On3 Consensus four-star linebacker has been in contact with Texas and is connecting with Jeff Choate and the staff. Texas, Texas A&M, South Carolina, Oregon, and Louisville are among his early offers.

On September 1st, Williams heard from a number of schools.

“It was crazy that morning,” said Williams. “Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Oregon. I’m ready to see Austin. I want to see the environment and atmosphere. (Texas) has been putting a lot of love in me and allowed me to be a part of the culture.”

He already has a great relationship with Choate.

“I love Coach Choate,” said Williams. “He’s always checking up on me, making sure I’m doing good, it’s really nice.”

Williams is the No. 118 overall prospect and No. 11 linebacker in the 2024 On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies. He is also the No. 20 player in Texas.

2024 Jeremiah McClellan, WR, Saint Louis (Mo.) Christian Brothers College
A new receiver on the Texas recruiting big board is the 5-foot-10.5, 190-pound On3 Consensus four-star from St. Louis. McClellan tells Inside Texas he’s heard from the UT staff recently and is growing curious about the program in Austin.

“I would love to be able to see Texas more and to be able to visit there soon,” said McClellan.

The 2024 On3 Consensus’ No. 192 overall prospect and No. 31 wide receiver has a nice list of early offers including Notre Dame, Michigan, Arkansas, and Missouri. He picked up Ohio State last night.

He is the No. 5 recruit in Missouri in the 2024 On3 Consensus. The four players ranked ahead of him are Kansas City Rockhurst OT Andrew Sprague, Kansas City St. Pius X EDGE Jayshawn Ross, Lee’s Summit North DL Williams Nwaneri, and St. Louis University WR Ryan Wingo.

2024 Jordon Johnson-Rubell, S, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy via Fort Worth (Texas) Brewer
One of the nation’s top 2024 prospects will descend upon Austin this weekend for the Texas-UTSA game. Offered during the summer, Johnson-Rubell has been building a strong connection with the Texas coaches.

At 5-foot-10, 165 pounds, Johnson-Rubell is the No. 60 overall prospect in the 2024 On3 Consensus.

Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Arkansas, LSU, Oregon and others are among Johnson-Rubell’s top schools. The four-star knows what he’s looking for in a college program.

“Development, and education too. That’s big for me,” Johnson-Rubell told On3. “I’m looking for that family feel and the coaches being on the same page.”

His decision timeline?

“I’m thinking end of my senior season because I’m enrolling early,” Johnson-Rubell said.

tl;dr - Appears things with Hale are looking really good.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Just to make sure, I wasn't referring to the Brocks. And I clearly remember a poster called no poster thinking that the 3-star offer was wasted.

The McCoys

The Shipleys

The Griffins

The Boyds

The Duvernays

The Foremans

Just fucking say what you're trying to say. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

Not sure if I'm reading it wrong, but that seems like an outdated quote from Wells.

" With Texas A&M, LSU, Utah, BYU, Oregon, and USC still pushing, Akana visiting Texas officially on September 10th for the Alabama contest remains a huge opportunity to maintain momentum with the Hawaii native." – Justin Wells

Agreed. Isn’t OU pretty confident on this kid?

247Sports' Blair Angulo is joined by Steve Wiltfong to discuss the top 5 uncommitted prospects in the state of Texas and the current status of their recruitments.

#247Sports #CollegeFootball #Recruiting

0:00 Top Tier Talent in Texas

0:36 David Hicks

3:38 Markis Deal

8:15 Javien Toviano

9:58 Jalen Hale

11:48 Jordan Renaud

13:30 Recruiting impact in Texas with the Longhorns & Sooners moving to the SEC

• Hook 'Em 1

David Hicks Jr. is a BEAST 😤 | #1 Defensive Lineman in 2023 🏈 | Early Senior Season Highlights 🎥

Early senior season highlights of Paetow's (Katy, TX) five-star defensive lineman David Hicks Jr. He is the top-rated player in Texas and No. 1 rated defensive lineman in the Class of 2023.

#davidhicksjr #paetow #maxpreps #texas #highschoolfootball #football

I'm not sure why Hicks is disinterested in playing in P.K.'s Scheme, but watching these early senior season highlights... Hicks would fit right in at DT at UT.

35 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, we go 2/5 on that list and we are all pretty happy, right?  With an outside chance at 4/5 if everything were to break absolutely perfectly for us.  

O/U at 1.5- what do you have?

I will go with 2, Hale and Deal. 

I would be happy with Hale and Deal out of that group. Toviano seems to be trending LSU, taking in LSU/Southern over Texas/Bama is probably not a good sign. We need the Florida bunch plus Arch and Choice working overtime on Damon Wilson. That dude is a game changer. 

• Hook 'Em 1