Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I imagine it's the same for a lot of cfb coaches just getting left on read. But fuck Valai.

Yeah, I’m sure he’s far from the only one that has happened to. It is just one of the aspects of the job that is so demeaning, having to chase after these flighty and fickle high school kids. 

Edited by Duane Moore

12 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

If tweeting at recruits is bad, what's the view on asking recruits for text screenshots with coaches then posting them and tagging the recruit? Sheesh that Doc guy needs to take a break

generally speaking. very bad. I'm fairly active on twitter, and I only sometimes engage in the hashtags like #AntToAustin that was done a few times. However, that being said, Johntay has been very open about how badly OU wanted him, and has responded to several OU trolls on twitter. I think this was a mutual thing with a UT fan with too much time on their hands.

On 1/11/2023 at 4:12 PM, irishtexan said:

I wonder how he's going to justify this one.

Rashada: "The university of Florida promised me $1.5 million but now they say they don't have it"

NCAA: "That's illegal under NIL"

Rashada and Florida: "uhhhhhh........................."

Apparently, they actually promised him $13 million (I'm assuming over 4 years). And it looks like the booster who put that money up may have breached a contract by withdrawing it so I'd imagine there's a good chance that Rashada will file suit. What a completely massive fuck up by Florida. And other schools bitch about our boosters...

https://theathletic.com/4087681/2023/01/13/jaden-rashada-florida-gators-football/

Edit: you also have to wonder what this does to the Lagway recruitment

Edited by campcrunk
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Can you win a suit over a party backing out of an impermissible contract?  What’s the remedy?

I guess it would depend (standard legal answer). I'd think there might be "unclean hands" defense to assert, maybe? On the other hand, if it's permissible under Florida law, that might not work even if it's not permitted under NCAA guidelines. But I'm not a contracts lawyer and, even if I was, I don't know anything about the contract itself or Florida law, so I have no idea

1 hour ago, campcrunk said:

Apparently, they actually promised him $13 million (I'm assuming over 4 years). And it looks like the booster who put that money up may have breached a contract by withdrawing it so I'd imagine there's a good chance that Rashada will file suit. What a completely massive fuck up by Florida. And other schools bitch about our boosters...

https://theathletic.com/4087681/2023/01/13/jaden-rashada-florida-gators-football/

Edit: you also have to wonder what this does to the Lagway recruitment

Guaranteeing 13 million to a kid coming in, and then having a better guy in the next class committed in Lagway seems like a recipe for disaster. I am sure the boosters figured this out. It's a bad look, but I think they did the right thing long term. 13 million was way out of bounds. That Niko kid only got 2 mil per year and I think he may have been the highest paid guy. Arch could command 13, but he would have national sponsorships.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1