Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah it def was not when I lived there in 2007-2009.  Mostly the female athletes.

1 minute ago, RollingPresidential said:

It was already heading that way (for athletes, not just football) when I lived there in 09-10. Clint Chapman was passed out in an elevator on a Sunday morning when I went to do laundry.

I helped show Tyrone Swoopes around San Jac when he was on his official visit. I remember really hoping he'd commit to Texas because he was supposed to be the next Vince Young... haha.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

I helped show Tyrone Swoopes around San Jac when he was on his official visit. I remember really hoping he'd commit to Texas because he was supposed to be the next Vince Young... haha.

I maintain that Swoopes could’ve been a pretty good TE for us if our pathetic QB management didn’t force him to stay at that position.

28 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Duce? or 2024?

I’d guess it’s a transfer.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

i don't think that's this one. He would have let the staff and recruits know ahead of time if his letter was already sent off.

Even if they knew before I could see the staff and players hyping it up the night before the announcement to generate excitement.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 1/5/2023 at 5:55 PM, UDontKnow said:

Technically he lost to invading Persians. Nader Shah, who could rival Aurangzeb in terms of violence, was born and died in what is modern day Iran. Along with all the Mughals, the Afsharids could get bent, too.

Fuck the off season 

9 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Jelani McDonald is set to announce his college decision on Saturday during the All-American Bowl, and signs continue to point in the Longhorns' direction. The Texas staff targeted McDonald during the fall and aggressively recruited the former Oklahoma State pledge. He has had a monster week in San Antonio while playing corner and is a legitimate chess piece on the defensive side of the ball.

-- McDonald admitted that the Texas class has recruited him to join him. He has been hanging around Anthony Hill and Ryan Niblett during the week. If Texas does indeed land McDonald, he has the ability to play all over the field. His frame and athletic ability makes him a very intriguing prospect.

-- Texas LB signee S'Maje Burrell made it into San Antonio earlier this week after being a late addition to the East Team roster. Burrell said that he was never wavering from Texas, but he did want to use his official visits since he had only taken the one to Texas. Burrell said that he and Anthony Hill have been friends for over a year, and he always knew that Hill would end up as a Longhorn. Burrell believes the improved defensive play, combined with consistent recruiting from the commits, ultimately sealed the deal for the 5-star.

-- The All-American Combine was held on Friday, OB caught up with 2025 RB Alvin Henderson, one of the premier sophomores in the nation. Henderson lists offers from all over the country, and Texas is among those standing out to the Alabama native early. He and Tashard Choicehave hit it off, with Choice going by his school in December. It's early, but the Longhorns definitely have his attention.

-- Andrew Marsh is another 2025 prospect with a Texas offer. He has been on campus multiple times and is emerging as a key target in his class. Marsh is a difference-making talent out wide and he impressed during the combine with his ability to separate and make difficult grabs look easy. He is planning to visit Texas during the spring, possibly for the upcoming junior day.

• Hook 'Em 6

13 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Am I remembering wrong or wasn't there a still a question of whether we even had the space for him a month ago? That seems nuts to me. 

You are correct. Same for TCU.

He was pretty good in track - Won the Texas 4A triple jump title with a 48-2 as a junior and long jumped 22-2.75 at regionals. I'm wondering if he might be able to sick at safety despite being recruited by Choate. He looks pretty fast on film.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

You are correct. Same for TCU.

He was pretty good in track - Won the Texas 4A triple jump title with a 48-2 as a junior and long jumped 22-2.75 at regionals. I'm wondering if he might be able to sick at safety despite being recruited by Choate. He looks pretty fast on film.

Yeah, we could really use him in the safety room. Linebacker would be a three year project, he and Derek Williams would make the most athletic safety tandem we have had in decades. My hope is that he can keep his weight around 200-210.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I believe CTJ mentioned that we lost interest after the Auburn "NIL" exceeded the fun barrier.

Not exactly. They were fine after assessing him on campus with him going somewhere else if they were putting an aggressive NIL pitch in front of him. It wasn’t a crazy deal from Auburn. 

• Hook 'Em 2