Stupid Question: Will this be Texas’ hottest game ever?

GreenspointTexas

40 minutes ago, Blotto said:

According to  Weather Underground, it was 98 as a high last Saturday, and it wasnt bad at all by 8PM. Humidity and breeze will be the key. Hottest part of the game last week was being stuck in the mass of humanity at gate 16 for 10 minutes trying to get into DKR. 

The sun is the main problem, so with a 6:30 kickoff it will be just fine this Saturday, at least once in the stands (and hopefully shade). I guess the formal temperature will be about as high as ever, but it won't be 1/10th as bad as lots of early season 11am, 2:30pm kickoffs, most of the opponents I cannot remember except Rout 66. LSU will be cool and comfy compared to those. We should never play anything but night games until at least halfway into the season. Getting into the gate is going to suck this weekend though, it was hot, not shaded, crowded, and slow, and all those will be worse next Saturday.

We got cooked at that Stanford game. 

Something like 20-40 people went to the hospital.  It made them change the policy on water being made available for free. 

So hot. I don’t remember nc state or ulala or Route 66 (at least not for the weather)but I’ll never forget that Stanford game. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

27 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We got cooked at that Stanford game. 

Something like 20-40 people went to the hospital.  It made them change the policy on water being made available for free. 

So hot. I don’t remember nc state or ulala or Route 66 (at least not for the weather)but I’ll never forget that Stanford game. 

The NC State game was a night game, so no comparison to the Stanford game.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Those are misleading. Pittsburgh 1995 was apparently 89° at kickoff but that was like sitting in a broiler on the east side of the stadium.

Looked it up. High temperature was 93° that day with a heat index over 100° due to humidity. Also only a 4mph wind, meaning there was no breeze in the stadium. Page says "scattered clouds" during the game but I don't think a single one ever blocked the sun. I had to leave the game early with my girlfriend (now wife) because she was showing heat exhaustion symptoms.

http://api.wunderground.com/history/airport/KATT/1995/9/16/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Austin&req_state=TX&reqdb.zip=78735&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

So basically as others said, temperature at kickoff doesn't come close to telling the story of how hot a game was.

That Colorado game was the first one that came to my mind. I was fighting a brutal hangover and thought I was going to die. I had to leave early. And that asshole Neuheisal was wearing a fucking turtleneck. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sock Drawer said:

Route 66 was the hottest I can remember.

That was the first game that came to mind when I saw this thread.  It was hot as fuck that day.  By about the second quarter everyone around me was saying "fuck this, if I'm going to watch us get our ass kicked I'm going to do it in air conditioning with a cold beer."  

Route 66 was brutal.  Sam Houston State was pretty bad also.  Last weekend I brought this cooling towel I picked up on Amazon with me to the game.  Some type of evaporative cooling sorcery.  It wasn't like I had an AC unit running next to me but it made it a hell of a lot more tolerable.  Old fucks like me don't handle the heat as well as we used to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

With predictions of temps at kickoff being anywhere from 99-101 degrees, is this our warmest game ever?

Ive been a season ticket holder for 15 years and the hottest game ive been to was 09 UTEP... i think temps were around 97. Cant remember a hotter game, someone correct me if im wrong

Also, while we are on it, what is the hottest college football kickoff temp ever? Ill hang up and listen

I was at that UTEP game in the student section under adzilla. Stayed till the very end even though most of the section cleared out due to a combination of it being a blowout and the scorching heat.

1 hour ago, Zone Read said:

Route 66 was brutal.

I don't even remember the heat.  All I remember is five 21-year-olds in a fucking Corolla and not even weed helped on the way home.  I kicked our gate off the hinges.  My roommate put his boot through his tv when the highlights came on Sportscenter.  Fuck that game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

Strictly off memory, and without looking up-thread....I recall the UNC “44” Cory Redding flip game being a scorcher.

What I remember best about that game was 9/11 the following Tuesday.  Roommate came in to wake me up just in time to see the second plane hit.  That was a pretty hot day.  Not hot enough to melt structural steel, mind you, but pretty hot.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Robbie Doane more or less eliminated Julius peppers that game. 

That too.  Knew a guy from the fencing team who went to Coppell w/ Robbie and shit talked him incessantly.  Then he left an NFL HOF-er a zero in the box score.  Must’ve taken the criticism to heart.

UTEP game time temp was 98 - https://texassports.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=9491

Rice 2011 was 100 - https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/2011-2012/ut01.html

BYU 2011 was 99 - https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/2011-2012/ut02.html

NM State in 2013 was 100 at kickoff.  https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/2013-2014/ut01.htm

I got bored and stopped looking, but couldn't find anything hotter than 100 at kickoff

42 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

Doesn’t matter what the actual temperature is outside... the cotton bowl against OU is always hotter then hell. Always. At least my 33 years running it is. 

nope, ousux game 2000, temp was 49°, wind N 10-15, rainy. it was cold as fuck. We were miserable, with that wind and rain, it was cold as fuck. and they kicked our ass, one of the mack special games, 63-14

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Colt's debut in 2006 vs UNT was the hottest game I (and my dad) have ever been to, and he's been to more cfb games than everyone i know combined. it was an 11 am kickoff in late August/early September in Austin, Texas. that day was absolutely brutal. dozens if not hundreds of people being treated on site for heat related issues, with more than a dozen hospitalized. 

After that would be vs UTEP in 09 iirc. the one where we destroyed them. another just brutal day with the sun beating down on everyone. UT is insane for ya int those start times. 

I think I still have a sun burn from that 2009 UTEP game.

I have no idea.

But this weekend shouldn't be a big deal.  Once the sun goes down, and with dew points relatively low, the humidity won't be so bad so it'll be okay.  The aluminum and concrete of the stadium radiates heat like an oven, and the closed shape blocks that heat in, and as long as the sun hits those benches it'll continue.  But after about 5 or so radiant cooling begins to occur.   Plus the "wind" is supposed to pick up by sunset a bit - even the 8-10 mph forecast will be far better than nothing, and the still-open South end will allow some of the heat to be disbursed by the breeze.

With the low humidity, my guess is you'll have seen worse.  As some have said, temperature might officially be the "hottest" but doesn't necessarily mean much as far as "feels like shit" factor.  That's why I can see some people talking about Stanford or Route Whatever or Pitt as their memory.  I know personally the hottest games I've endured were day games, even if the temp stayed in the low 90's.  I know there was one or two like that, but again I can't remember.

I wouldn't sweat it too much... sun goes down now completely by 7:30, so the first quarter or so might be a bit warm, but you'll notice that it'll cool off fast.

tl;dr:   probably not.

Edit to add:  the tailgates & Bevo Blvd. are gonna suck, tho.

Edited by phdhorn

10 hours ago, Hornlover said:

UTEP game time temp was 98 - https://texassports.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=9491

Rice 2011 was 100 - https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/2011-2012/ut01.html

BYU 2011 was 99 - https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/2011-2012/ut02.html

NM State in 2013 was 100 at kickoff.  https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/2013-2014/ut01.htm

I got bored and stopped looking, but couldn't find anything hotter than 100 at kickoff

Yeah, you'll see the games that kicked at 6 or 7 will have the hottest temp at kickoff but it would've cooled off as the sun went down. The 2 PM games spent the most time in the uncomfortable zone. And the ones that kicked off with temps in the low 80's at 11 AM were no doubt hot as balls by the time the game ended around 2:30 -- high humidity doesn't help.

• Like 1

Just now, 6th Street said:

I was at that Stanford game back in '99. People with heat exhaustion in the student section left and right. Never seen anything like it. Felt like every 5-10 mins the medical people were treating someone.

I rmr hanging around because I wanted to see Simms play

That game was the closest I’ve ever been to leaving a Texas game early. Medical hauled at least three people out from within a couple of rows of me and I stopped counting the people wobbling toward the tunnel to get out of the sun. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

I have no idea.

But this weekend shouldn't be a big deal.  Once the sun goes down, and with dew points relatively low, the humidity won't be so bad so it'll be okay.  The aluminum and concrete of the stadium radiates heat like an oven, and the closed shape blocks that heat in, and as long as the sun hits those benches it'll continue.  But after about 5 or so radiant cooling begins to occur.   Plus the "wind" is supposed to pick up by sunset a bit - even the 8-10 mph forecast will be far better than nothing, and the still-open South end will allow some of the heat to be disbursed by the breeze.

With the low humidity, my guess is you'll have seen worse.  As some have said, temperature might officially be the "hottest" but doesn't necessarily mean much as far as "feels like shit" factor.  That's why I can see some people talking about Stanford or Route Whatever or Pitt as their memory.  I know personally the hottest games I've endured were day games, even if the temp stayed in the low 90's.  I know there was one or two like that, but again I can't remember.

I wouldn't sweat it too much... sun goes down now completely by 7:30, so the first quarter or so might be a bit warm, but you'll notice that it'll cool off fast.

tl;dr:   probably not.

Edit to add:  the tailgates & Bevo Blvd. are gonna suck, tho.

Trust this man, he's pre-meteorology.

Edited by SHOOTER12

15 hours ago, MrPhlegm said:

Jesus shit fucking flaming dicks none of y'all are right.

Hottest game at Memorial stadium?

The one on September 1, 1974.

80,000 Longhorn fans

Bad Company

Joe Cocker who puked off the stage it was so hot.

Santanna

Z Z Top

And four hundred n' ninety-seven n' a half miles o' 'rope'.

One of my roomates was supposed to bring our 'rope'. Well he stuffed it in his boot and lost it. He is a lawyer now. Matters not there was PLENTY of 'rope'. No barn no dance no bbq no water no shade no clouds except the clouds from all the burnin 'rope'.

c63aa168b692ced8da2131e876b9431e.jpg8e37f94e2eaf5ed47acf97da1374d5fd.jpg

d6d3d4334735e1f659e72ba4b62c2a83.jpg
'rope' smoke. It trailed out north of the stadium. People in Georgetown got contact highs.

7f0b7533172066c695304bf4d3843e2c.gif94c70d914d594d6eb8a744454c744635.gif
This is the crew that sprayed the crowd down to cool us off. Thanks guys!

These two pics have nothing to do with any of this, I just like em.

333dfd00daf4470e3dfedf43efb25f03.gif2ffa0ce4fbdeab083827eba8933a6d2d.gif

10+ fucking hours of blast furnace heat, no water, smoking burning 'rope' as it came by constantly, toke it and pass it on down killer music, cocker was drunk on his ass. Blast furnace heat and folks made pyramids to entertain themselves between sets.

Good shit!

Hook 'em!

And now...

For your viewing pleasure!

MARY POPPINS CAMELTOE!!

14ea7326c7cd893deb1bcb27a29e5ba3.jpg

2dfa6f64c0e6d575944c84123f1cd228.jpg

I was there. Just got out of cast on compound fractured leg, so sat in west stands.  Full moon rose after dark if memory is not faulty for one reason or another.

• Like 1