Texas @ Rice - 7:00 PM CBS Sports Network

immamac

9 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Am I the only one who didn't know that Rice even had cheerleaders? I've been kinda sorta following the Owls as long as I can remember (grew up around the corner from campus) and I am about to turn 50 and this is the first time I can remember noticing Owlettes or whatever they are called, portly or sleek.

The classic is the private schools with marginal basketball programs having more cheerleaders than members of the basketball team. They usually put them along the end lines, behind each basket (the cheerleaders, not the players).

Every girl whose family can contribute to the athletics department get to be a cheerleader so Grandmama and Grandpapa can run into another alum at the country club and boast to other grandparent "My granddaughter (fill in the blank) is a cheerleader at SMU/Rice, etc, your grandson Skippy should meet her some day, you know."

That is their social code that means the social inbreeding process has begun.

Think of it as Bushwood Country Club where little Spauldettes are instructed to marry and breed with little Spauldings, lest the power of the checkbook be denied.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

What's up with the tiny crowd?

After the sweatfest, long lines, warm beer of last weekend, it was a pleasure. Free roam of the club level, sit wherever you wanted, and didn’t spend one second in lines for food, drink, bathroom, etc.  

3 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Hey, Rice undergrad checking in (UT MBA).  Yes, Rice has had cheerleaders at least for the past 25 years or so since I've been a fan.  You probably hadn't noticed them because of their looks.  The pool of Rice co-eds consists primarily of A) national merit scholars who can be found exclusively in the library  B) feminists/political protesters/hairy pit angry women  C) athletes and D) the smart nerd / average looking girl who was on the dance team in high school and always wanted to be a cheerleader but couldn't make the high school team.  

Group D is the only available one to recruit Rice cheerleaders from.

2017-2018 squad had some talent. 

7 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

The classic is the private schools with marginal basketball programs having more cheerleaders than members of the basketball team. They usually put them along the end lines, behind each basket (the cheerleaders, not the players).

Every girl whose family can contribute to the athletics department get to be a cheerleader so Grandmama and Grandpapa can run into another alum at the country club and boast to other grandparent "My granddaughter (fill in the blank) is a cheerleader at SMU/Rice, etc, your grandson Skippy should meet her some day, you know."

Think of it as Bushwood Country Club where little Spauldettes are instructed to marry and breed with little Spauldings, lest the power of the checkbook be denied.

So, you got shut out in school?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

No.  Rice is absolutely nothing like SMU in any way, except for being private.  I live in Highland Park and go over to SMU all the time, and attended Rice undergrad.

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

So, you got shut out in school?

Its discriminatory when the chubby chasers look at those of us who dated attractive, physically fit, and well-toned women in college and didn't get "our turn to riding the hippo heavies" as being "shut out."

Attractive women need love, too. It's not all about those you favored.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

No.  Rice is absolutely nothing like SMU in any way, except for being private.  I live in Highland Park and go over to SMU all the time, and attended Rice undergrad.

Have you ever been to a SMU basketball game and noticed the cheerleaders along the end lines behind both baskets? Not the classic "doctors' wives." (If you know what I mean.")

The reality is that at many schools, cheer leading is a participatory sport, not an athletic sport. And that is absolutely ok. That college kids get to be involved in campus events is a good thing. I know you won't believe me but some schools are so backwards and misogynist, they don't let any women participate in certain campus events, such as cheer leading.

Edited by Randolph Duke

46 minutes ago, Eggo said:

If she's a good dancer, it doesn't really matter what she looks like. That's the point. 

Well the point here is that she couldn’t get off the ground ( which is what cheerleaders do) w/o a Saturn V booster rocket under her and they don’t make those anymore. There is an athletic component to this activity.

As of now , they don’t have cheerleaders vaping on the sidelines  or in front of the crowd, yet there are a lot o folks who vape. It’s not discriminatory for this type of activity to prevent them from vaping as a cheerleader. 

It’s ok to have some criteria for certain functions. That does not equal discrimination.

Edited by El Squared

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

They should always poke aggy when they play Texas. Maybe something about Candy (sic). 

They did poke fun at aggy at halftime, actually. And Baylor

their smack against us was kinda weak this year tho.

also, this was the only game ive been to where ushers were actively telling people to come into lower bowl for free, before the game had even started. It was the smallest crowd ive ever seen at any texas game.... and definitely one of the strangest games

3 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Have you ever been to a SMU basketball game and noticed the cheerleaders along the end lines behind both baskets? Not the classic "doctors' wives." (If you know what I mean.")

The reality is that at many schools, cheer leading is a participatory sport, not an athletic sport. And that is absolutely ok. That college kids get to be involved in campus events is a good thing. I know you won't believe me but some schools are so backwards and misogynist, they don't let any women participate in certain campus events, such as cheer leading.

Yeah no one gives a shit about cheerleading at SMU. Our cheerleading talent is very meh compared to the rest of campus. 

I’d like to see Rice do better as a program. Rice has a huge endowment, they can afford spending some money on upgrading Rice Stadium and their facilities. They could at a minimum add some food trucks and try to offer something other than an empty sea of asphalt parking during their games at Rice Stadium. They have a ton of young families in West U, Bellaire, Meyerland, Old Braeswood and other neighborhoods close by. TCU built their attendance by making their games affordable and fun for Ft Worth families. Rice doesn’t seem to spend any effort into promoting or investing in their program. There is zero buzz anywhere during their games. They could be creative and make Rice Village fun for pregame. You wouldn’t know a game is going on.

6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I’d like to see Rice do better as a program. Rice has a huge endowment, they can afford spending some money on upgrading Rice Stadium and their facilities. They could at a minimum add some food trucks and try to offer something other than an empty sea of asphalt parking during their games at Rice Stadium. They have a ton of young families in West U, Bellaire, Meyerland, Old Braeswood and other neighborhoods close by. TCU built their attendance by making their games affordable and fun for Ft Worth families. Rice doesn’t seem to spend any effort into promoting or investing in their program. There is zero buzz anywhere during their games. They could be creative and make Rice Village fun for pregame. You wouldn’t know a game is going on.

I hear you and love watching games at that stadium but no one at Rice gives a shit about football.

3 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I hear you and love watching games at that stadium but no one at Rice gives a shit about football.

People go to fucking Sugar Land Skeeters independent minor league ball because it’s cheap and geared towards families. No one gives a fuck about the team. You’d think that Rice would have a leg up playing FBS football with local alumni here as well.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

People go to fucking Sugar Land Skeeters independent minor league ball because it’s cheap and geared towards families. No one gives a fuck about the team. You’d think that Rice wild have a leg up playing FBS football. 

They don't need the money. Don't care to build some community football brand. The decision makers have zero interest. 

I would say the Skeeters are not a good comparison, they can just market to that sugarland/richmond-rosenberg area and be ok with attendance similar to round rock here.

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Most of the Rice students, faculty, and administration would just as soon the football team went away. Which is a shame, because you’re right Rice Stadium could be an awesome facility and a focal point for a pretty vibrant area of the city,

They would absolutely vote it to go away as long as they can keep the stadium for the stairs. Not sure if it is still open daily but 25 years ago, that was the best workout gym Rice had for students/faculty.

7 minutes ago, Goodman said:

They would absolutely vote it to go away as long as they can keep the stadium for the stairs. Not sure if it is still open daily but 25 years ago, that was the best workout gym Rice had for students/faculty.

Used to run stairs there when i was back home from college in the summer of 07 and 08. They closed it off to the public in 2010... which is a shame, because it was bad.fuckin.ass. to run stairs in