Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

Women's soccer fucking sucks. The best I can say about it is its a cunt hair better than women's hoops. The players are so slow and unathletic, and I'd probably rather watch HS soccer (if forced to choose. 

The women's world cup is a fucking beating as it goes on for what seems like months and everybody pretends like we're watching some athletic wonder. It's bad soccer. The only positive thing I have observed while watching the replay of the USWNT,  is the women don't flop around like they got plugged by a sniper every 5 mins. 

• Like 4

Is that an unpopular opinion? It gets a fraction of the hype of the men's WC...for good reason. Maybe three people I know are actively watching it and nobody I know is talking about it. I'll watch the US games because it's the US, but other than that it's completely out of my mind. You can't even hardly find USWNT shirts or anything so it's not like it's being shoved down our throats. At least I haven't seen it if it is.

Also, the WC lasts one month every four years unlike the shitty NBA playoffs which last two months every year. No idea how people watch that shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Blotto said:

Women's soccer fucking sucks. The best I can say about it is its a cunt hair better than women's hoops. The players are so slow and unathletic, and I'd probably rather watch HS soccer (if forced to choose. 

The women's world cup is a fucking beating as it goes on for what seems like months and everybody pretends like we're watching some athletic wonder. It's bad soccer. The only positive thing I have observed while watching the replay of the USWNT,  is the women don't flop around like they got plugged by a sniper every 5 mins. 

Men’s soccer sucks too. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Blotto said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2023 at 5:39 PM, Blotto said:

The women's world cup is a fucking beating as it goes on for what seems like months and everybody pretends like we're watching some athletic wonder. It's bad soccer. 

By that logic this chick isn't an athletic wonder and this is bad skiing

It’s not unpopular to not care about the women’s World Cup or women’s sports in general. What’s bizarre is people who are compelled to tell you at every turn not only that they don’t care, but also how slow and “unathletic” they are compared to the men, and these days with the USWNT, because cloak room. We all know exactly why they care enough to constantly tell you why they don’t care, but it’s still bizarre. I care zero about golf (I occasionally pay a little attention when an OSU grad is in contention but that’s about it), but when a major dominates sports media, I don’t go complaining and telling everyone how much I don’t care. Others care, just let it be. But again, it’s pretty obvious why they complain so loudly.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

So you don’t think she’s an athletic wonder and you think she’s a bad skier?  

You need to retake reading comprehension. 

On 7/22/2023 at 5:39 PM, Blotto said:

It's bad soccer.

So every competition is great? Are you enjoying your season tickets to the WNBA? No. Because it's shitty basketball. Go to any court in any city and you'll see more skill. Go to any futsal competition with people you've never heard of and you'll see better soccer skill. The women's world cup is bad soccer but feel free to put lipstick on that pig.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

It’s not unpopular to not care about the women’s World Cup or women’s sports in general. What’s bizarre is people who are compelled to tell you at every turn not only that they don’t care, but also how slow and “unathletic” they are compared to the men, and these days with the USWNT, because cloak room. We all know exactly why they care enough to constantly tell you why they don’t care, but it’s still bizarre. I care zero about golf (I occasionally pay a little attention when an OSU grad is in contention but that’s about it), but when a major dominates sports media, I don’t go complaining and telling everyone how much I don’t care. Others care, just let it be. But again, it’s pretty obvious why they complain so loudly.

These same people would rather watch a game with 1-11 Colorado vs 3-9 Arizona State on a Saturday nihgt, but not the World Cup winning WUSNT play a match.  And will tell you with a straight face because the WUSNT product is "bad"

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You need to retake reading comprehension. 

So every competition is great? Are you enjoying your season tickets to the WNBA? No. Because it's shitty basketball. Go to any court in any city and you'll see more skill. Go to any futsal competition with people you've never heard of and you'll see better soccer skill. The women's world cup is bad soccer but feel free to put lipstick on that pig.

No.  I made a comment about someone's faulty logic.  That poster's logic being that because the competitors are women, that the competition and individual play must be of lower value.  Using that logic, I asked if Mikaela Shiffrin was also not an athletic wonder and if the competition was bad skiing.  

Of course the women's competitions are wonders of athleticism.  The competitors in the women's World Cup are the best in the world at what they do.  The cutting edge of athletic ability in 2023.  Your reasoning states that there is only one gender that plays soccer or basketball worth watching, and therefore anything other than competition with male athletes is inferior or shitty/bad.  

womens individual athletics (sprinting, hurdling, swimming, etc) are as entertaining as mens, for however entertaining those competitions are.

womens skill sports in tennis and volleyball are fantastic.

womens skill team sports like soccer, basketball, are fucking boring. 

golf and softball/baseball is terrible to watch, either gender.  not because of the gender, because thats how people subjectively find them.  its okay for people to hold those opinions on each sport separately, without pseudo-psycho deconstruction of their *ism/ist motivation. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

womens individual athletics (sprinting, hurdling, swimming, etc) are as entertaining as mens, for however entertaining those competitions are.

womens skill sports in tennis and volleyball are fantastic.

womens skill team sports like soccer, basketball, are fucking boring. 

golf and softball/baseball is terrible to watch, either gender.  not because of the gender, because thats how people subjectively find them.  its okay for people to hold those opinions on each sport separately, without pseudo-psycho deconstruction of their *ism/ist motivation. 

So don’t watch. The -isms come into play when people insist in telling you how “bad” the women’s game is in their opinion for transparent reasons.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Js1 said:

These same people would rather watch a game with 1-11 Colorado vs 3-9 Arizona State on a Saturday nihgt, but not the World Cup winning WUSNT play a match.  And will tell you with a straight face because the WUSNT product is "bad"

Well, um, guilty.  Not because it's women's soccer but it's football vs. soccer.  I'll watch college football over any soccer match every fucking time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I don't watch a ton of women's sports, but I don't understand the need to shout it from the rooftops either.  I'll probably watch the USWNT tomorrow night, just like I watch 6-7 ISU women's hoops games every year.TBH,

It seems obvious that the people who need to let you know how much they don't care about women's sports have some level of complex about it.  If you don't like it, that's fine.  When you need to announce and then downgrade the gender over it, I start questioning why you're actually taking this stance.

Multiple colleges broke records for softball attendance and tv ratings this last year. Several schools have new softball stadiums in the works. OKST built a soccer stadium several years ago and we only have a women's team. Women's sports are gaining popularity again. The USWNT's ratings are as good as most college football games. I think NASCAR is the stupidest thing ever but I don't complain when people talk about it and it gets attention on ESPN. It's just not my thing. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, 'stache said:

I’m guessing you’re not a Deadhead. 

• Haha 1

So don’t watch. The -isms come into play when people insist in telling you how “bad” the women’s game is in their opinion for transparent reasons.

When things come into the public purview/prominence, those things become a topic of discussion, whether its favorable or not.  That's how news works.  It's transparent that there's some tournament that brings this sport into consciousness, not because dude sits around finding an excuse to rail against women sports.

Same thing for college football commenters when Aaron Judge Homerun Watch became the regular interjection on every CFB broadcast.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I think NASCAR is the stupidest thing ever but I don't complain when people talk about it and it gets attention on ESPN. It's just not my thing. 

That's well within your prerogative.  But if you did pop off a complaint about NASCAR, does it mean you must harbor some anti-vehicular sentiment?

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 8:56 PM, PRONG HORN said:

By that logic this chick isn't an athletic wonder and this is bad skiing

Well, she did hit every pole going down the slope so there's that. 

On 7/24/2023 at 4:38 PM, Js1 said:

Depends on the pt. spread for Buffs/Devils game. 

I have found myself of late enjoying women's sports more frequently than men's sports, especially college basketball/softball/volleyball.   But I'll catch some of the women's world cup when Team USA plays. 

Edited by Underdog

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

I’ve always had a hard time differentiating between men’s & women’s soccer because of the level of drama the men play with. Fucking unwatchable.

So the men incorporate drama into their play style, but the women are naturally dramatic?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So the men incorporate drama into their play style, but the women are naturally dramatic?  

Blockage with extreme prejudice for that clown. Diarrhea fountain of bad takes if iirc. Don't quote him either. I have a low enough opinion of my fellow man without willfully reading stupid shit.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Bowling, and it probably isn’t even close

I think it’s skiing and it’s not even close if you count not just the downhill but all the downhill skiing events.  You can find it on different channels a few days a week during the winter.  But then if you throw moguls, aerials, pipe, ski jumping, and the x games type competitions, then it’s really not even close.

Birria Tacos are the most overrated food currently. The taco itself is tasty, but the consomme adds nothing. It doesn't soak into a tortilla like bread in a french dip sandwich. I tried a couple places and I'd rather go with most of the rest of the menu. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Birria Tacos are the most overrated food currently. The taco itself is tasty, but the consomme adds nothing. It doesn't soak into a tortilla like bread in a french dip sandwich. I tried a couple places and I'd rather go with most of the rest of the menu. 

Disagree

sports take.  I don’t think Hakeem is that much better than David Robinson.  I also think they had some underrated players 

• Haha 1

Your correct opinion is not unpopular. A wet tortilla is not great.

8 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Disagree

sports take.  I don’t think Hakeem is that much better than David Robinson.  I also think they had some underrated players 

I'm partial to Hakeem, but I don't have a strong opinion between him and the Admiral.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't understand why people consider the Hill Country as a whole to be pretty.

Gorgeous spots? Absolutely. Pretty much any spot with water running is amazing. Love being on the rivers. And the towns like Boerne and Wimberley are nice.

But overall, it's hot, dry, rocky, with some random hills and scrubby trees. I actually think East Texas is much prettier in general.

On 7/26/2023 at 2:01 PM, closetohumping said:

Disagree

Here's a pretty cool stat about Hakeem:

You've heard of a double double, triple double. There is a stat (can't remember what its called) where you get at least 5 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 blocks, and 5 steals. Only been done something like 8 times in the history of the NBA. 5 players have done it once, Hakeem is the only player to have done it more than once (three times).

Note: I am not arguing who is better, just an interesting stat.

4 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Here's a pretty cool stat about Hakeem:

You've heard of a double double, triple double. There is a stat (can't remember what its called) where you get at least 5 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 blocks, and 5 steals. Only been done something like 8 times in the history of the NBA. 5 players have done it once, Hakeem is the only player to have done it more than once (three times).

Note: I am not arguing who is better, just an interesting stat.

It's called a 5 by 5 and has been done more than 8 times

image.thumb.png.2c8fc4db2e0ff6fb39cbf0087a25d602.png

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/26/2023 at 11:36 AM, 'stache said:

A place in Lindale sells Birria burgers. Regular burger topped with Birria meat, beef or pork. 

Their regular hamburgers are tasty, so I thought I’d give the Birria burger a shot. 

Interesting idea, not good in practice. The birria meat watered it down and changed the taste, in a way that was not favorable.