Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

22 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

If something bad happens to you while doing some tik-tok, facebook, twitter, instagram challenge bullshit, you fucking deserved it. Fucking knob.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/07/dozens-of-umass-students-in-hosp-over-dangerous-borg-tiktok-booze-trend/

Let he who has never binged drank in college cast the first stone. Of course when we did, we didn't video it and post it all over the internet, probably because Al Gore hadn't invented it yet.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 9:10 PM, Brothahorn said:

If something bad happens to you while doing some tik-tok, facebook, twitter, instagram challenge bullshit, you fucking deserved it. Fucking knob.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/07/dozens-of-umass-students-in-hosp-over-dangerous-borg-tiktok-booze-trend/

Unless you’re one of the little children who’ve died attempting the blackout challenge because TikTok’s algorithm pushed it at you and you didn’t know better.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2022-11-30/is-tiktok-responsible-if-kids-die-doing-dangerous-viral-challenges

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Unless you’re one of the little children who’ve died attempting the blackout challenge because TikTok’s algorithm pushed it at you and you didn’t know better.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2022-11-30/is-tiktok-responsible-if-kids-die-doing-dangerous-viral-challenges

Sad, just have to pray your kid has more sense than that even though you tell them not to follow the BS they see on social media. The story says a few days after the funeral the brother explained what happened. Pretty sure someone was asking long before then.

8 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Ted Lasso isn't that good and is way overhyped.  

Would rather watch Kenny Fucking Powers 

This is not unpopular with me, Eastbound and Down is the funniest TV post-2000.

My sole gripe is that the best part about KP is that he’s an unredeemable asshole who claims to learn lessons then forgets them the entire four seasons. But in the end he learns a lesson and ends up being OK, which is not in character. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Kids are stupid. When I was a teenager we played the “knockout game”— you held your breath as a group of friends threw their weight into your chest.  You’d go off to outer space for a few seconds.  It was a “viral” thing then and we are all lucky we didn’t get long term brain damage. Well, I post on surly. 

Anyway, it boggles the mind that there’s a platform that algorithmically feeds kids videos of viral strangulation challenges to do in your home and the PR strategy is “they coulda seent it elsewhere.” Fuck TikTok. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just saw this. Sad story. So much I want to say about worthless fucking parents leaving their kids unsupervised on Tik Tok. But, I'll just add that the parents should be there instead of the kid.

4 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Kids are stupid. When I was a teenager we played the “knockout game”— you held your breath as a group of friends threw their weight into your chest.  You’d go off to outer space for a few seconds.  It was a “viral” thing then and we are all lucky we didn’t get long term brain damage. Well, I post on surly. 

Anyway, it boggles the mind that there’s a platform that algorithmically feeds kids videos of viral strangulation challenges to do in your home and the PR strategy is “they coulda seent it elsewhere.” Fuck TikTok. 

The way we did it was we’d bend over, hands on your knees, and breathe deeply in and out ten times, except on the tenth inhale we’d stand up, cross our arms, and hold our breath. Someone standing behind you would wrap their arms around you and lift you off your feet. They’d hold you until you passed out and exhaled, then they’d lower you to the ground. We were hyperventilating but we were young and somewhere through word of mouth, like the game of Telephone, it became known to us as “hydroplaning.” That’s not at all what it was but that’s how we knew it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The way we did it was we’d bend over, hands on your knees, and breathe deeply in and out ten times, except on the tenth inhale we’d stand up, cross our arms, and hold our breath. Someone standing behind you would wrap their arms around you and lift you off your feet. They’d hold you until you passed out and exhaled, then they’d lower you to the ground. We were hyperventilating but we were young and somewhere through word of mouth, like the game of Telephone, it became known to us as “hydroplaning.” That’s not at all what it was but that’s how we knew it.

Saw it done that way too. Very stoopid game. Yeah, crossed arms and hyperventilating, then pressure on your chest.

I never thought Facebook was bad per se.  It's just a thing.  It's your prerogative to use it the way you're inclined. I don't fill out my profile (with personal info). I don't join political discussions. I don't spam memes.

I just occasionally scroll to see what tier 2 acquaintainces are up to.  And with adblocker on a browser, the 'feed' was clean and worked perfectly for that.

Some time recently, they updated the site and must've circumvented adblockers.  The feed is literally 1:1 'content' versus random fucking ads and suggested content 95% of which is lame ass memes.  It's really regurgitating the dredges of last year's internet garbage. 

Somehow the site morphed into something BuzzFeed barfed onto.

1 hour ago, Sam Lin said:

That's not unpopular, but at least it isn't as bad as Marvel, where their universe got so meh and stupid they had to create multiverses just to be able to keep making shitty movies.

thanos is rolling in his grave

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2023 at 12:06 PM, Helobious said:

Sometimes, the morally right thing to do is lie.

Every single time when the question from one’s wife is about how she looks in an outfit, or how her new hairstyle or hair color looks, or whether she needs to lose weight, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nnm said:

Every single time when the question from one’s wife is about how she looks in an outfit, or how her new hairstyle or hair color looks, or whether she needs to lose weight, etc.

I don’t know if lying is MORALLY correct here, but self preservation > morality 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 10:36 AM, Scraps said:

Ted Lasso isn't that good and is way overhyped.  

Would rather watch Kenny Fucking Powers 

This last season has been shit.

Enjoyed the first 2.  Roy Kent is my hero.

On 5/3/2023 at 3:41 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Same here.  Though, one time I heard you could do the breathing thing, then press on the outer edges of your neck.  I remember doing this by myself one time when I was about 12.  As I was falling to the floor, I thought I was about to die.  Fun times.

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Same here.  Though, one time I heard you could do the breathing thing, then press on the outer edges of your neck.  I remember doing this by myself one time when I was about 12.  As I was falling to the floor, I thought I was about to die.  Fun times.

Yikes. Hyperventilating decreases the carbon dioxide in your blood stream but pressing the outer edges of your neck was probably pinching off the carotid artery and stopping blood flow to your brain altogether. That’s depriving it of oxygen. That’s scary shit. Probably safer doing it to yourself than letting someone else do it to you, though, because you release the pressure when you lose consciousness. It’s no wonder you thought you were about to die. Technically, you were. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been pretty sick the last few days (see getting old sucks thread). To take my mind off of it I’ve been seeking out some old mindless stuff. 

Just watched Animal House last night. The classic scenes are still classic. The movie as a whole?  Meh. Watched Slap Shot Friday night. Same review. Also saw caddyshack within the last few years. The classic lines are funny and quotable, but the movie as a whole didn’t age well. 

OTOH, Rocky 1-4, Anchorman, Cool Hand Luke, Apocalypse Now, all stand the test of time. 

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

Older movies were paced slower, so I sort of get it, but still think Animal House and Caddyshack are masterpieces start to finish. 

AH and CS were almost more like a series of National Lampoon/SNL sketches than they were a cogent movie. Slap Shot was just a little off because at times Newman was trying to be a comedic actor and at times a serious one. It didn’t work. 

Edited by nnm

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Loved Seinfeld.  Not sure it’s the best sitcom ever

Is this an unpopular take?  I'm not exactly sure how one defines sitcom, but I'd put Always Sunny and Parks & Rec a little ahead of Seinfeld, but I am a huge Seinfeld fan.