Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

the last month plus have been a fun ride. the 16 mos old twins came from a Thanksgiving trip to colds and ear infections, my sister brought a slight cold with her for Christmas so my boy has a little of that now and the coup de gras? both are having sleep regressions, this is normal but it's happening serial, not parallel. Little girl doesn't like to nap and likes to wake up at 5:30 AM every day whereas the boy would sleep to 6:30 if we let him. 

I loathe the idea of paying for a leep consultant too, give someone money to tell what I know.....let them cry, self soothe, tough love, etc. 

20 hours ago, next2naus said:

the last month plus have been a fun ride. the 16 mos old twins came from a Thanksgiving trip to colds and ear infections, my sister brought a slight cold with her for Christmas so my boy has a little of that now and the coup de gras? both are having sleep regressions, this is normal but it's happening serial, not parallel. Little girl doesn't like to nap and likes to wake up at 5:30 AM every day whereas the boy would sleep to 6:30 if we let him. 

I loathe the idea of paying for a leep consultant too, give someone money to tell what I know.....let them cry, self soothe, tough love, etc. 

Yeah my twins had a sleep regression around that time, which was brutal.  They have normally been pretty good sleepers, think we are turning the corner, so I probably just jinxed myself. Little over 20 months now for mine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 9:19 PM, huge said:

Suddenly everything has changed.

I have a daughter, born New Years Eve.

Son is 4 but this is going to be something else.

Just saw this. Congrats man. I'm in the same boat, just a little ahead on the daughter part. 

My son is 3, daughter is 3 months. 

They couldn't be more different from the other in a lot of ways, but their differences work so well together. I don't like to say I'm blessed, but this really is a blessing so far. Let's hope it stays that way.

Although, I'm not looking forward to the inevitable teenage years with a daughter - the old "if you have a son you have to worry about one dick, if you have a daughter you have to worry about all the dicks" isn't something I'm really wanting to confront. Still have more than a decade though, so I'll get there. 

• Like 1

Not a dad but mom of a 16 and 20 year old and I can tell you how we handled it.

Firstly, don’t bother trying to “ban” it - she’ll just do it secretly.

And it’s a huge part of not only their social life but a huge part of sports teams/clubs/classes etc. In ways we cannot relate to.

Imagine if your parents had tried to ban you from passing notes or talking on a landline.

In middle school, we had the following rules for our kids -

-You can use your first name but keep your last name off your accounts
-Don’t use an offensive username
-Don’t accept friend requests from strange adults . They’re going to make online friends their age. No use in trying to fight that.
-Don’t give out any personal information - phone number, address etc.
-The internet is forever - even if you delete something, people WILL screenshot anything mean or gross you say. If you wouldn’t want your Grandma to read it, don’t write it.
-You must allow me to friend or follow you
-You will give me your password. You’ll never know when I’ll login and check it and if you change it without telling me, device is gone and account is deleted.
-The term “private message” is a lie. People will share them, so treat any DMs as if they’re public.
-No sexy pictures!!!!

She won’t want Facebook - it’s for olds.

Twitter and Instagram are fine. She will follow stupid influencers and YouTubers and other people you’ll think are dumb. But they love those people.

She’s too young for Snapchat. But she’s going to want it. I didn’t allow that one till high school.

It’s a lot and it’s a pain but it’s the way of the world now and you can’t keep her away from it and shouldn’t. EVERYTHING they do, social media is part of it somehow. And they have to learn to use it responsibly.

I think her knowing you can see what she’s doing will do a lot to keep her from going too nuts.

Good luck, dad. You’re just about to start a wild ride.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 10:28 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

We graduated our 3.5 yr old to her big girl bed over the weekend...holy fuck the shadow figure you see walking towards you in the dark while rocking your 6 mo old back to sleep is trippy.

Shes scared me on 3 counts just walking into the room or staring at you in your bed. Lol

Toddler death stare has to be experienced... can’t be explained. 

From the "They never stop being your babies" line of thought...

Pretty much pure joy with a dash of relief when your 'grown ass man' gets back stateside from deployment.

Saturday night at 11:30pm I got to hug him for the first time in 9 months. It's definitely on the list of badass father/son moments.

You know...the ones when you try to talk and nothing comes out...LOlz.  Those of you with little ones have that to look forward to.  Sometimes it feels like your chest is going to burst from pride.

On 12/10/2018 at 9:33 PM, Buzzrock said:

How you holding up ocugolf? I have two friends who went through the exact same tragedy, and both followed up with amazing healthy beautiful children. I wish the same for you if it be your desire to try again. 

January update: We’ve started some grief therapy. Wife wanted to give it a try and i told her i would go. Its been better than I expected. Sloane was due on December 8, so I took the wife to New Orleans to just get away. We had a great time and it really was nice not being home/near the nursery/etc. Holidays were rough on the wife and for some reason New Year’s was the roughest. The wife has gone a couple times to a group in town that has several ladies who have gone through similar things. I’m all about her getting out and talking to people.

Physically, she’s great. Healed completely, has started going back to the gym. Mentally, you can just tell some days she’s having a rough time. Doctor diagnosed her with some clotting condition the other day but seemed real upbeat about treatment and what it means for us going forward and trying again. 

The male in me makes me want to be able to “fix” everything and what’s infuriating to me is there is no timeline. There’s nothing I can say or do. I just have to be consistent and there for her. We still don’t do well in big crowds, I’ve a full blown panic attack at her doctors appointments since. And do the the DEA reigning in doctors, it’s damn near impossible to get good drugs. Lol. I’ve started Zoloft but I’d prefer not to take something daily and just be able to take something when I know I’m going to be in tough situations. Oh well. 

The amount of outreach and support from friends and family and Hell even you bastards on here has been truly humbling. It has renewed my faith in humanity. We’ve gotten the green light to try again in May, so that’s our plan. Hope all goes well.

• Like 6

My two grandkids (16 & 8 ) went to grief therapy for several years after their mom died in 2013. It was a good program and helped them both to continue a normal life. The youngest had a few behavior issues while attending  Montessori preschool. In fact he was drummed out of that school in kindergarten (for mooning kids & dropping f-bombs among other things) and started in public school where he has since thrived very well.

Oldest kid went to two birthday parties last Saturday/Sunday. On Monday, my wife receives a text that one of the kids started running fever the night before and was going to the doctor. Turns out he had the flu. Tuesday afternoon my wife picks my daughter up from school and she says she doesn’t feel well. Checks temp and it’s 102. She goes to doc and tests negative for flu so they put her on preventative dose of tamiflu. She gets up Wednesday morning and still has fever-it’s the flu. Wednesday afternoon the 2 year old starts running fever. Yup it’s the flu (her second time to have it in a month). This shit needs to die in a fire and never come back. It will be a miracle if my wife and I make it through unscathed.

Oldest kid went to two birthday parties last Saturday/Sunday. On Monday, my wife receives a text that one of the kids started running fever the night before and was going to the doctor. Turns out he had the flu. Tuesday afternoon my wife picks my daughter up from school and she says she doesn’t feel well. Checks temp and it’s 102. She goes to doc and tests negative for flu so they put her on preventative dose of tamiflu. She gets up Wednesday morning and still has fever-it’s the flu. Wednesday afternoon the 2 year old starts running fever. Yup it’s the flu (her second time to have it in a month). This shit needs to die in a fire and never come back. It will be a miracle if my wife and I make it through unscathed.

Y u no vaccinate?

Pville, holy cow.

20 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

Well, the fun part about being a dad, the bills are finally rolling in from the November incident.

image.png

I remember those type of bills from my son. He is well over a million and a half in amount billed total, by the age of 7. Rattlesnake encounter and early surgeries as an infant. Luckily, he has been tame the kast 4 years.

Good insurance kept us out of the poors for sure.

Hope your child is well.

Edited by pacman

Suddenly everything has changed.

I have a daughter, born New Years Eve.

Son is 4 but this is going to be something else.

Yes sir, welcome to the “gotta play man defense now” club. My friends with one kid play zone and give me static when we bring the kids to gatherings, asking why I rarely just sit down and chill...they don’t get that a 5 and 2yo are a lot for one to cover, though I’ve noticed one friend that has a 4yo and a wife about to pop out the second asking a lot of questions lately. I told him it’s amazing as you get to go through the childbirth process a second time and can enjoy it without massive fear of the unknown but managing the daily household tasks requires a lot more work as you can’t always say ‘you watch the kid and I’ll do x’.

It will be something else. My daughter being born marked the start of a very stressful part of my marriage but it’s worth it, and my little girl is a pistol who is the cutest damn thing I’ve ever seen...when she wants to be. You done with 2? My friend with 3 girls seems to ‘get it’ more than my friends with 1, and I often use a quote from a comedian who said ‘everyone driving slower than you is an idiot and everyone driving faster is crazy’ but change it to ‘everyone with fewer kids seems to have it easier and everyone with more is crazy’.

I joke but a day like today, when I take them both to Little Land for 2 hours and I watch my boy holding my daughters hand as they jump into the ball pit together or share a dozen donut holes from Shipley’s afterwards, comparing notes on the different flavors like it’s a deadly serious business...I just smile and enjoy the ride.

Oh and you gotta learn this key item now...front to back only! You’ll know what I mean.

On 1/27/2019 at 11:53 AM, pacman said:

I remember those type of bills from my son. He is well over a million and a half in amount billed total, by the age of 7. Rattlesnake encounter and early surgeries as an infant. Luckily, he has been tame the kast 4 years.

Good insurance kept us out of the poors for sure.

Hope your child is well.

Nightmare fuel. Thanks.

:) Yeah, no doubt.

Son: Dad, something bit me.

Me: Huh? Which kid? (at a 7 yr old birthday party)

Random Parent: Rattlesnake!

Me: Shit!

Hauled ass to small regional hospital. Other parents gathered the snake, it was a baby. Double shit! But, turned out for the better as we ended up on the low end of the venom release spectrum.

Caught him on the heel, not much bruising or swelling but had to really work to use that foot again. Me and him spent a lot of time in the hospital, 2 weeks, because the blood took so long to get back to normal.

3'6" 42 pounds, 7 yrs old at the time. He loves to tell the story now.

• Like 1

Was going to post in wife thread, but think it’s more appropriate here, because Dad failed to dodge the train twice. 

I had some TPS reports (with cover sheets) due this morning. I send the text out yesterday afternoon when it became apparent I wasted too much time on Surly. “Got ~90 mins of work left. Stay late or work from home?”

Come home. Got it, commuting home. Drink a frustration drink about my poor time management skills, have dinner, play with kids.

7:30 bath time, mom’s on duty. Fire up the laptop.

7:35 - I shout upstairs “[1 year old ] has poo’d the bath a lot recently. I’d take her out.” Yeah, she knows.

7:40 - Gleeful splashing - “Little one out? you need help?”

7:45 - soaking wet 3 yr old with shampoo in hair shouts from middle of carpeted stairs “Mom says Come quick! We need your help!”

Guess how many bath toys Dad sterilized - O/U is 5. 

Was going to post in wife thread, but think it’s more appropriate here, because Dad failed to dodge the train twice. 
I had some TPS reports (with cover sheets) due this morning. I send the text out yesterday afternoon when it became apparent I wasted too much time on Surly. “Got ~90 mins of work left. Stay late or work from home?”
Come home. Got it, commuting home. Drink a frustration drink about my poor time management skills, have dinner, play with kids.
7:30 bath time, mom’s on duty. Fire up the laptop.
7:35 - I shout upstairs “[1 year old ] has poo’d the bath a lot recently. I’d take her out.” Yeah, she knows.
7:40 - Gleeful splashing - “Little one out? you need help?”
7:45 - soaking wet 3 yr old with shampoo in hair shouts from middle of carpeted stairs “Mom says Come quick! We need your help!”

Guess how many bath toys Dad sterilized - O/U is 5. 
Over. I have a 5 and soon-to-be-3 yr old. There's no way they take baths with less than 2000 toys.
  • Like 3

On 1/19/2019 at 1:58 AM, Bama Chick said:

Not a dad but mom of a 16 and 20 year old and I can tell you how we handled it.

Firstly, don’t bother trying to “ban” it - she’ll just do it secretly.

And it’s a huge part of not only their social life but a huge part of sports teams/clubs/classes etc. In ways we cannot relate to.

Imagine if your parents had tried to ban you from passing notes or talking on a landline.

In middle school, we had the following rules for our kids -

-You can use your first name but keep your last name off your accounts
-Don’t use an offensive username
-Don’t accept friend requests from strange adults . They’re going to make online friends their age. No use in trying to fight that.
-Don’t give out any personal information - phone number, address etc.
-The internet is forever - even if you delete something, people WILL screenshot anything mean or gross you say. If you wouldn’t want your Grandma to read it, don’t write it.
-You must allow me to friend or follow you
-You will give me your password. You’ll never know when I’ll login and check it and if you change it without telling me, device is gone and account is deleted.
-The term “private message” is a lie. People will share them, so treat any DMs as if they’re public.
-No sexy pictures!!!!

She won’t want Facebook - it’s for olds.

Twitter and Instagram are fine. She will follow stupid influencers and YouTubers and other people you’ll think are dumb. But they love those people.

She’s too young for Snapchat. But she’s going to want it. I didn’t allow that one till high school.

It’s a lot and it’s a pain but it’s the way of the world now and you can’t keep her away from it and shouldn’t. EVERYTHING they do, social media is part of it somehow. And they have to learn to use it responsibly.

I think her knowing you can see what she’s doing will do a lot to keep her from going too nuts.

Good luck, dad. You’re just about to start a wild ride.

Some good advice here folks. Better print this out and hand it on your bathroom mirror or something.

On 1/19/2019 at 3:32 PM, slorch said:

Toddler death stare has to be experienced... can’t be explained. 

Try this: Toddler death stare followed by "Daddy, what's my other mommy's name?"

"Huh? Other mommy? What are you talking about?"

"You know, my other mommy, the one I only see at night when you are mommy are asleep?"

"What??!!"

"She has long black hair and wears long dresses" (My wife no pics is blond).

Today my little girl (almost 3) kept telling the daycare staff about what they said sounded like "Mama's dildo" and that it was "green" and "big". After some questioning they determined it was "at Mama's school" and eventually figured out that she was talking about the turtle my wife had in her classroom last week.

• Like 2

Try this: Toddler death stare followed by "Daddy, what's my other mommy's name?"
"You know, my other mommy, the one I only see at night when you are mommy are asleep?"
"What??!!"

Fuck that. Time to move.

12 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

"What??!!"

Man, takes balls trying to sneak your side piece past your kids room into the basement without your wife knowing.  

talking sleep schedule.

We have twins, 18mos, boy and girl. We target 12 hours of sleep a day. with two naps that we are working to phase out. Morning nap is at 8:30 ish and afternoon is after lunch at 1:30 ish, everything is elastic based on behavior and "tiredness". kids go down at 6:30, each in their own room.

the boy goes down and generally sleeps to 6:00 or later if we let him.  Generally he naps great, he tends to want/need the morning nap and playing hard means he will nap in the afternoon

the girl goes down and damn near every day w/out fail she wakes up at 4:30 or 5:00, crying no less. she doesn't always nap well, some day not at all getting herself overtired. I don't care about her napping because if she doesn't need it, or want it, fine. What I can't figure out is how to get her to sleep later in the morning.

Hoping that camp/activities wear her out but thats a few months away and we want some sleep in the AM! 

Over. I have a 5 and soon-to-be-3 yr old. There's no way they take baths with less than 2000 toys.

I’ve cut way down on that by having them pick a toy to wash...Barbie, pony, car, etc...they each pick one. Need a solution to fighting over the flowing water in the faucet, however.

17 hours ago, hookemATL said:

12 hatchimals, 5 LOLs, and 6 monster machines is standard for bath time. 

If I never see Pandor or Elefly for the rest of my life, I'll be a happy man.  I hate those fucking things and my daughter leaves them everywhere - and they only hurt slightly less than stepping on a Lego with bare feet.

At the hospital now, should have baby boy Dutch this evening! First one for us, so it will be a trip. I get 4 weeks off work and she gets 4 months, so that's pretty sweet.

Anyone got any tips? I got her push present ready, she wanted another wedding band, but I replaced one of the diamonds with a blue sapphire cause it's a boy. I figured I would give it to her after baby is here and things settle down, though I'm not sure when that will be.

• Like 3