Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Sigh.  Daughter is up to her neck in her job search.  She just got an offer, which is nice.  But it sure looks like it would be a crappy job for her, wouldn't use the skills she wants to use at all, wouldn't really develop her, and would be highly stressful (while it's called "recruiting," it's really just a cold-calling sales job, where they hire 100 22-24 year olds, toss them into the sea, and see if any of them generate revenue).  Online reviews of the gig say as much, they are not positive at all.  As much as she wants to get a job, and we want her to get a job, and we ALL know that the "first job" will NOT be the "perfect job," we're also concerned that the stress of having a job that shitty a job will be worse than the stress of keeping up the search.

Ultimately, she'll make the decision, because she's a grown-ass woman.  But we fret about her and for her, because the parenting gig never ends.  

When did/does she graduate, and what major?

Sigh.  Daughter is up to her neck in her job search.  She just got an offer, which is nice.  But it sure looks like it would be a crappy job for her, wouldn't use the skills she wants to use at all, wouldn't really develop her, and would be highly stressful (while it's called "recruiting," it's really just a cold-calling sales job, where they hire 100 22-24 year olds, toss them into the sea, and see if any of them generate revenue).  Online reviews of the gig say as much, they are not positive at all.  As much as she wants to get a job, and we want her to get a job, and we ALL know that the "first job" will NOT be the "perfect job," we're also concerned that the stress of having a job that shitty a job will be worse than the stress of keeping up the search.
Ultimately, she'll make the decision, because she's a grown-ass woman.  But we fret about her and for her, because the parenting gig never ends.  

This kind of shit builds character. She’ll be fine dad.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

When did/does she graduate, and what major?

She graduated last may, double major from McGill in Linguistics and German.  Didn't really plan her graduation exit/post grad plans well.  She came home, was a bit lost.  Ended up doing some decent work here in the Linguistics field, so not a blank spot on her resume.  Her real hook is that she's multi lingual (English, fluent German, close-to-fluent French and Swedish/Norwegian/Danish).  She's got experience starting organizations and projects....but it's all student-level.  It's hard to get a job when you are in the "no real-world experience group," which includes most of her peers (outside of some small jobs she's had).

Bottom line, she's looking for most any gig that 1) will use her language skills, and 2) will hire her.  The heck of it is, while this job technically calls for her to be fluent in German, they revealed that they really won't be leaning on her using those skills that much.  And so many of the reviews of the place use the word "toxic."  She can be strong, and can work her ass off, so she can put up with the pressure of a hard gig....but she in particular doesn't need "toxic."  She's really wrestling with this one.

She graduated last may, double major from McGill in Linguistics and German.  Didn't really plan her graduation exit/post grad plans well.  She came home, was a bit lost.  Ended up doing some decent work here in the Linguistics field, so not a blank spot on her resume.  Her real hook is that she's multi lingual (English, fluent German, close-to-fluent French and Swedish/Norwegian/Danish).  She's got experience starting organizations and projects....but it's all student-level.  It's hard to get a job when you are in the "no real-world experience group," which includes most of her peers (outside of some small jobs she's had).
Bottom line, she's looking for most any gig that 1) will use her language skills, and 2) will hire her.  The heck of it is, while this job technically calls for her to be fluent in German, they revealed that they really won't be leaning on her using those skills that much.  And so many of the reviews of the place use the word "toxic."  She can be strong, and can work her ass off, so she can put up with the pressure of a hard gig....but she in particular doesn't need "toxic."  She's really wrestling with this one.
Has she talked to a local German Heritage chapter/organization? She could tutor or teach kids who are learning while she looks for that position with a multinational company. I have a friend who was born and raised in Germany who teaches at a German school part-time. She also runs a catering business featuring authentic German foods.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Howlin wolf said:

This doesn't make sense. You mean her blood pressure?

Agreed and if she's on the fence about getting it and it’s getting into the evening hours, she should just get it. Better to have it placed by someone that's awake and her pain is not as bad yet, than to have it placed by someone that was asleep 5 mins ago and she's freaking out in pain. 

yes, sorry her BP. Those 2 days all sort of run together. 

20 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Obviously that’s what he meant. You couldn’t figure that out from the other hints?

Well ackshually even if it was a blood pressure thing that doesn't make sense to delay an epidural. Epidurals bring your blood pressure down. If it's “too high” for an epidural then you probably need to have an emergent C section anyway

• Fuck You 1

On 5/22/2024 at 6:13 PM, Brisketexan said:

She may have already tried this route, but she should apply to the IAEA, perhaps in a low-level admin position, just to get her foot in the door. It has a great campus filled with incredible people and Vienna is awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 2:44 PM, Brisketexan said:

Has your daughter thought about the diplomatic service?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Welp, I may have very well swaddled my last swaddle. Hanging up the hospital blanket. The little fucker has been angry crying in his snoo at night, including a really brutal Saturday night/Sunday morning. We finished putting the touches on his room - actually the end of a huge project since it was the wife's office, and she just started a new job so we ended up enclosing our dining room to make her a new office/peloton room. Got it all ready for him, I shed a single tear as I zipped him into a napsack, and that fucker was out all night. I honestly found it difficult to go to sleep in my own room without the noise machine droning in the background.

image.thumb.png.ccdec610e107125d16ed5b6ed55b2951.png

he's also been really slow to roll over. he can totally do it, he just doesn't care. he finally eventually rolled over last night, first time i've seen him do it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2024 at 1:59 PM, Celery Man said:

Welp, I may have very well swaddled my last swaddle. Hanging up the hospital blanket. The little fucker has been angry crying in his snoo at night, including a really brutal Saturday night/Sunday morning. We finished putting the touches on his room - actually the end of a huge project since it was the wife's office, and she just started a new job so we ended up enclosing our dining room to make her a new office/peloton room. Got it all ready for him, I shed a single tear as I zipped him into a napsack, and that fucker was out all night. I honestly found it difficult to go to sleep in my own room without the noise machine droning in the background.

image.thumb.png.ccdec610e107125d16ed5b6ed55b2951.png

he's also been really slow to roll over. he can totally do it, he just doesn't care. he finally eventually rolled over last night, first time i've seen him do it.

Do they reach a point where they don't want to be swaddled any longer? Is that why he angry cried? 

45 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Do they reach a point where they don't want to be swaddled any longer? Is that why he angry cried? 

So, both of our kids were in the snoo for the duration of their bassinet time. That makes things a little bit different because you're supposed to stop swaddling them once they can roll over (due to suffocation risk), but that's not the case with a snoo because they are fucking velcro'd down and cannot roll over. I think the short answer to your question though is yes, and specifically for my kids they reached an age (when you're supposed to be transitioning them out of the snoo anyways) where they want to be unswaddled and also do not want to be held in place in the snoo. We had the same experience with kid 1 where the snoo was amazing, she slept in it great, she started having "sleep regressions" and "teething" and having bad nights and we started making the plan to move her and what is our approach going to be with sleep training etc and then we plopped her in the crib and she fell asleep immediately.

3 nights in a row of full sleep for this daddy btw, living the life. Got damn. Interesting for both kids as well that they slept belly down after getting out of the snoo.

16 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

About to head in and wishing I had reread the books. 

IMG_3183.jpeg

I wonder what year every dad started taking this picture. I have a clear recollection of doing this for kid 1, wasn't sure if I did it for kid 2 but I just went and checked, there it is. But I also know I sat down to wait and fell asleep in the chair because this asshole has been keeping me up since he decided to bust out in the middle of the night.

Da Fino is in it right now. Good luck buddy.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/30/2024 at 11:58 AM, Celery Man said:

So, both of our kids were in the snoo for the duration of their bassinet time. That makes things a little bit different because you're supposed to stop swaddling them once they can roll over (due to suffocation risk), but that's not the case with a snoo because they are fucking velcro'd down and cannot roll over. I think the short answer to your question though is yes, and specifically for my kids they reached an age (when you're supposed to be transitioning them out of the snoo anyways) where they want to be unswaddled and also do not want to be held in place in the snoo. We had the same experience with kid 1 where the snoo was amazing, she slept in it great, she started having "sleep regressions" and "teething" and having bad nights and we started making the plan to move her and what is our approach going to be with sleep training etc and then we plopped her in the crib and she fell asleep immediately.

3 nights in a row of full sleep for this daddy btw, living the life. Got damn. Interesting for both kids as well that they slept belly down after getting out of the snoo.

I wonder what year every dad started taking this picture. I have a clear recollection of doing this for kid 1, wasn't sure if I did it for kid 2 but I just went and checked, there it is. But I also know I sat down to wait and fell asleep in the chair because this asshole has been keeping me up since he decided to bust out in the middle of the night.

Da Fino is in it right now. Good luck buddy.

Thanks! Girl. A little under 6 lbs and early. Just barely kept out of NICU. Everyone is healthy, but I’m the only one that isn’t as pissed off as a horse with an itchy nose. Just a lovely start to the summer.  

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 2:44 PM, Brisketexan said:

It has indeed been a tough job search for mine as well. Finished nursing school with all A's except one B. 2 years' experience as a CNA, working while in nursing school, with multiple peer awards. Everybody around you, "There is a nursing shortage. You will have your pick."

Can't even get in the door at the hospitals she targeted. One hiring manager mentioned most hospitals are hiring half the new nurses when compared to previous years. Seems they need nurses but are unwilling to take on the burden of training new nurses. 

Even worse, she has to watch some of her lesser performing, fellow graduates get the jobs she wanted all along. The jobs she didn't even get in the door to interview.

Maybe the resume sucked. Maybe she interviews poorly. Hard to say. Hiring is an imperfect process. February and March were long months.

Final capstone rotation, current nurses working with her wondering aloud why she isn't going to work there after graduation. Some fellow graduates who will work there are lazy and entitled, much to the chagrin of current staff. She applied. Never even got an interview.

Held her, let her cry. Build her up. I had to table the no nonsense side of me, the side she was probably expecting to hear from as I had made that mistake previously. You want to make them feel better with "life isn't fair. don't take it personally. blah. blah." but sometimes you just have to listen and let it hurt.

Honestly, it hurt me too. I wanted this for her. She hasn't caught many breaks over the last few years, through no fault of her own. People are always taking advantage of her, then tossing her aside. Too often, she doesn't feel valued, and I worry where that could lead.

But, she is resilient and strong.

At the end of the day, she has a job that is acceptable. It will pay her more than most new graduates. The recruiter was wonderful, gave her support and affirmation. She even claimed to have fought to get her an extra signing bonus. She did settle a bit, but not completely. She will learn all the skills needed to transfer to the department she wants in the future.

Signed for her first apartment.

Bought the furniture.

All while hobbling on a new ACL, after having ACL surgery this month due to soccer injury.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

It has indeed been a tough job search for mine as well. Finished nursing school with all A's except one B. 2 years' experience as a CNA, working while in nursing school, with multiple peer awards. Everybody around you, "There is a nursing shortage. You will have your pick."
Can't even get in the door at the hospitals she targeted. One hiring manager mentioned most hospitals are hiring half the new nurses when compared to previous years. Seems they need nurses but are unwilling to take on the burden of training new nurses. 
Even worse, she has to watch some of her lesser performing, fellow graduates get the jobs she wanted all along. The jobs she didn't even get in the door to interview.
Maybe the resume sucked. Maybe she interviews poorly. Hard to say. Hiring is an imperfect process. February and March were long months.
Final capstone rotation, current nurses working with her wondering aloud why she isn't going to work there after graduation. Some fellow graduates who will work there are lazy and entitled, much to the chagrin of current staff. She applied. Never even got an interview.
Held her, let her cry. Build her up. I had to table the no nonsense side of me, the side she was probably expecting to hear from as I had made that mistake previously. You want to make them feel better with "life isn't fair. don't take it personally. blah. blah." but sometimes you just have to listen and let it hurt.
Honestly, it hurt me too. I wanted this for her. She hasn't caught many breaks over the last few years, through no fault of her own. People are always taking advantage of her, then tossing her aside. Too often, she doesn't feel valued, and I worry where that could lead.
But, she is resilient and strong.
At the end of the day, she has a job that is acceptable. It will pay her more than most new graduates. The recruiter was wonderful, gave her support and affirmation. She even claimed to have fought to get her an extra signing bonus. She did settle a bit, but not completely. She will learn all the skills needed to transfer to the department she wants in the future.
Signed for her first apartment.
Bought the furniture.
All while hobbling on a new ACL, after having ACL surgery this month due to soccer injury.

Great post from a good dad.

This is a sucess story. She has a start and the challenges in finding that first toe hold to grab onto to start the climb just build resilience and grit. I’m not saying it doesn’t suck, but it will benefit her.

Life is hard in one’s 20s. But she has you and she will figure it out like we all do and be just fine.

Good job.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Little one turns 2 on Monday, with a party at an indoor playplace tomorrow. His first birthday was spent puking and in bed with a fever, so hopefully round 2 goes better.

He's very shy and does horribly sitting at a table with people who aren't Mom and Dad, so I'm sure attempting to sing happy birthday and eat cake will be nothing short of a disaster.

Little brother is about halfway cooked. It's been a much rougher pregnancy this time around, but it seems like my wife has turned a bit of a corner and is only occasionally feeling miserable, instead of constantly. The first pregnancy she loved me and hated everyone else. I'm more in the everyone else category this time, so that's been fun. I am relieved the 2nd one will be arriving after the worst of the heat, at least.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Alright, I'm in need of some educational materials for the summer. 9 and 5 year old are at home with me 2-3 days a week l, and they are constantly angling for screen time. What apps or shows can they consume while I try and get shit done and still feel ok about their mental state? 

I am also thinking about getting some type of kit with educational materials for them to work through to earn some app time, but I haven't researched that yet. 

We will have a part-time nanny/helper starting next week, so I'm also trying to think of hands-on activities for them to do with some oversight. 

Would love to know what works for you parents with young kids at home.

4 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

I am also thinking about getting some type of kit with educational materials for them to work through to earn some app time, but I haven't researched that.

Amazon has workbooks.  Probably aimed at homeschooling, but the same kind of desk work we did all the time as kids. But you'll have to grade it (answers in back, etc). 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh…daughter’s job search continues. She’s quite frustrated when there are a couple of jobs out there that are pretty much written/described with her in mind. As in, she’s an EXACT fit for something that’s somewhat unique…and she still gets shot down.
Getting that first job is a bitch, it’s frustrating and demoralizing. She keeps at it, she’ll keep at it, but fuck. She could use a win.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 6/1/2024 at 12:34 PM, Chips O'Toole said:

Alright, I'm in need of some educational materials for the summer. 9 and 5 year old are at home with me 2-3 days a week l, and they are constantly angling for screen time. What apps or shows can they consume while I try and get shit done and still feel ok about their mental state? 

I am also thinking about getting some type of kit with educational materials for them to work through to earn some app time, but I haven't researched that yet. 

We will have a part-time nanny/helper starting next week, so I'm also trying to think of hands-on activities for them to do with some oversight. 

Would love to know what works for you parents with young kids at home.

PBS Kids pretty much has universally good content.  Might be a tougher sell for the 9 year old but any kid 6 and under should be plenty entertained and almost everything they have has some educational aspect to it.  Same for ABC Mouse.  I have an 8 and 5 and the 8 year old is getting to the point where that shit don’t cut it.  Obviously depends on the kid, but my wife taught my 8 year old to crochet and she’s obsessed with it, it’s how she’s spent a ton of time on days at home with no camps or screen time.  We also took them to the library and checked out a shitload of books they liked, so the 8 year old spends a lot of time reading.  The 5 year old hates reading because it’s hard.  We also have homeschool style workbooks we got off Amazon and at the dollar store for 1st grade and 3rd grade.  We’ve had to force them to do it but it has killed a few minutes each day.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Can someone learn me on formula? Which is best? Why? I'm looking more for nitty gritty on the formulas and not really a cost analysis of why.

i posted a long thing earlier in this thread about it, but after all the research was done before, we rolled with Costco formula. there are a thousand and one comparisons you can do but it's far and away the single best bang for your buck and a very high quality product

keep some ready to drink in your back pocket for an emergency or time out and about.

here is a high level review with why things matter: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-baby-formula/

this will pay for the costco membership in the first 30 day of your kid being on formula: https://www.costco.com/.product.100810650.html

because it's just "the way it is" now, there will and are shortages when it comes to formula. basically all generic formula is made by the same company (Perrigo) and they standardized their tops a few years ago

image.png.98449b5e5d795bad109776ebfda9c276.png

we roll with the advantage premium (silver top) since it's closest to the kirklands stuff. your kid will not be happy about changing formula brands and will spit up more. just how it is

all of these are the same inside the can:

image.thumb.png.d668d99af32087197ef07872517b7c98.png

image.thumb.png.13c13505481cd937cb5685f5984c7856.png

source to help find formula if it gets that bad again: https://www.nowinstock.net/home/babyproducts/

we got one of these electronic formula mixing pitchers - they are like $20 bucks - this isn't the one we have but is close. it's worth every. single. penny. get one that's less complex than more. never fill it up to 32 oz, it will overflow 100% of the time. just do 30 and you will be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Brezza-Formula-Mixer-Pitcher/dp/B09K4QKX6M

also know folks who loved the baby brezza which is basically keurig but for formula.

we use the boon nursh bottles: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=boon+nursh+bottles

your kid may not like them, but we like that the parts are interchangable, can be used as they grow (baby tops to sippy cup to straw cups) and are very well made.

happy to answer anything else that i can.

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Daddy-Daughter dance with our 9 yo tonight.  The kicker is that it's Super Mario themed.  I have absolutely nothing Mario related.  

Should be fun! 

Quit acting like you don't own a pair of overalls and a red hat.  You can easily find both at a thrift store in the next couple hours.  Mustache would be easier at Halloween time.  But I'm guessing you could still find one at a craft store or toy store.  Workboots or cowboy boots.  I'm sure IRL you own a red shirt for Christmas or something, or again---get one at the thrift shop for $3.  White gloves can be bought anywhere, even a hardware store will have 'em in white.  The hat's gonna be tricky.  Not sure where you can that style that he wears, but I think a red ballcap would suffice.  

I've loved the Daddy-Daughter dances I've taken my oldest to, she just glows with excitement.  Next year, I get to take them both as the little one enters elementary school.  Enjoy it, because we'll blink and they're off to a prom dance while we sit home trying not to freak out in front of the wife and abstain from chugging a bottle of bourbon.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I went to one daddy-daughter dance, at my daughter's ballet school.  Lance Armstrong's twin daughters were in her class.  Kristin brought them to the dance.  Guess who was a no-show?  Tricky question, I get it, I'll spare you the thought -- Lance was the no-show.  And no, he wasn't out of town.

everything you hear about the guy just points to truly, how much of a piece of shit he is in his private AND public life.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Can someone learn me on formula? Which is best? Why? I'm looking more for nitty gritty on the formulas and not really a cost analysis of why.
Both of my kids had to have Nutramigen. I practically went broke buying it before my daughter finally stopped drinking it.
Daddy-Daughter dance with our 9 yo tonight.  The kicker is that it's Super Mario themed.  I have absolutely nothing Mario related.  
Should be fun! 
Sounds like fun.
I went to one daddy-daughter dance, at my daughter's ballet school.  Lance Armstrong's twin daughters were in her class.  Kristin brought them to the dance.  Guess who was a no-show?  Tricky question, I get it, I'll spare you the thought -- Lance was the no-show.  And no, he wasn't out of town.

He was probably getting his clock sucked.
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

i've spent my entire life being a proponent of top over and now find myself switching the rolls around in the bathrooms used by the little demon.

Years ago I saw a patent for a toilet paper holder that could rotate 180 degrees around a central axis perpendicular to the wall.  (Basically, it would flip the left side of the roll to become the right side.)  The effect was that top over became top under.  Pure genius.  Utterly worthless, but pure genius.

On 6/13/2024 at 8:45 AM, Brisketexan said:

Sigh…daughter’s job search continues. She’s quite frustrated when there are a couple of jobs out there that are pretty much written/described with her in mind. As in, she’s an EXACT fit for something that’s somewhat unique…and she still gets shot down.
Getting that first job is a bitch, it’s frustrating and demoralizing. She keeps at it, she’ll keep at it, but fuck. She could use a win.

33 years ago when my son graduated SWT (his Mom’s alma mater) with a finance degree, he sent out scores of resumes with little response. 
I asked him if he had done so with the bank HQ where he interned the previous summer. 
Him: “Duuuuhh, no”. 
Me: {just looking at him}
Him: “Ok Dad, I will”. 
2024 - He is a senior VP in charge of overseeing $20 Billion in assets at a major regional agricultural bank system. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1