2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

13 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

DTs: Coburn, Graham/Ojomo

DEs: Bimage, Jones, you probably spin Ossai down here too.

With a 4 man front DT and Nose are 2 different skill sets. Assuming it is a gap defense, my opinion is Coburn's quickness fits nose. Grahm and ojomo are 3 tech or dt. 5 tech is ossai 6 tech strong side not sure.

Edited by CoachTex

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

DTs: Coburn, Graham/Ojomo

DEs: Bimage, Jones, you probably spin Ossai down here too.

That will be something I watch for. If they keep Ossai at OLB that means the LB options are really shitty and we're in for a long year.

LBs: lol fuck. Probably rotate Dele/Mitchell at ILB. I know they liked Tillman before he got hurt, I'd think he and Gbenda have the inside track at OLB. Maybe Vaughns? I know he worked at B backer this year though, may be a DE guy.

I don't think DB personnel changes all that much. I'd hope Thompson gets the nod over Foster at NB. Foster just can't cover good receivers from the slot and is better suited for safety. I think the ultimate answer is shifting Ash's typical 4-3 into something that more resembles a big nickel with Overshown and/or Foster playing down as box safeties.

This is a pretty good list. With the 4 man front, you have strong side and weak side DTs, so I think it would be Coburn/Sweat and OJomo/Graham. 

I'm assuming it will be more of a 4-2-5 than a 4-3, so using at Ossai at LB would be absurdly stupid. I'm also not sure what youre counting as ILB vs. OLB, but since it's likely a 2 man LB set, I'd guess Mithcell at strong side and Gbenda at weak side with Dele backing up Mitchell and Tillman backing up Gbenda.  I'd like to see us try to spin down Overshown to either Nickel or weakside ILB. I don't think he can handle either deep safety spot.

Nickel: Foster/Thompson, or maybe even Jamison, depending on how much Ash views it as his third LB or more of a true nickel that can cover in man. He likes to mix up his quarters with some press man cover 1 (and then blitz a LB), but he'd struggle to do that with Foster at Nickel against a lot of our opponents.

Ash cant use a nickel and spin down Foster/Overshown as a box safety much because he plays so much quarters, where he needs both safeties deep for the most part.  He switched a former CB to safety at tOSU because he has to have two deep safeties that are good in coverage, so if he wants to play a 4-2-5 and be bigger, then it would have to be through using someone like Foster at Nickel. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoachTex said:

With a 4 man front DT and Nose are 2 different skill sets. Assuming it is a gap defense, my opinion is Coburn's quickness fits nose. Grahm and kokomo are 3 tech or dt. 5 tech is ossai 6 tech strong side not sure.

Yeah that's what I was trying to communicate with the commas. Coburn and Sweat (forgot about him) can play the 1 tech while Ojomo and Graham (and eventually Broughton, which I think is his most natural position), can play the 3.

The end spots are tricky because all of the existing DL are bulked up to play the 3-tite front. I think you almost have to end up using Bimage and Jones at both SDE as well as to spell Ossai at WDE. Maybe Myron Warren can work his way into the SDE rotation. Dude was a freak athlete coming out of HS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I could work myself up to being optimistic about next season if it’s Harrell and Ash, but the lack of even trying to do a real search for his DC and just hiring his buddy is just one more nail in the Herman as quality HC coffin

I really like, even love some of my buddies like brothers, but I sure as hell wouldn’t risk a job for any of them that could pay me millions, even tens of millions over the next 10-15 years.   The lack of awareness/self-awareness around Herman is pretty amazing.  

36 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

So if we get busted open like a broken piñata in the Valero bowl there’s no chance Herman gets fired? Like if it’s 55-21 or something? Like no chance? 

can't happen utah is so fucking overrated, they haven't played anyone. but cdc extended him, so if we were to lose 100-0 he's coming back, thanks cdc

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah that's what I was trying to communicate with the commas. Coburn and Sweat (forgot about him) can play the 1 tech while Ojomo and Graham (and eventually Broughton, which I think is his most natural position), can play the 3.

The end spots are tricky because all of the existing DL are bulked up to play the 3-tite front. I think you almost have to end up using Bimage and Jones at both SDE as well as to spell Ossai at WDE. Maybe Myron Warren can work his way into the SDE rotation. Dude was a freak athlete coming out of HS.

Sounds good to me. Let Ossai put his hand in the dirt and come around the corner rushing the passer. 

Edited by Sandlot

9 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

Sweat might be the 6 tech in 4-2-5. 

You think? He's like 320 lbs and growing. I don't think he can threaten the edge enough in passing situations at that size to spend much time at 6 tech.

6 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

When you say cover 1, do you mean man free or cover 0 with no free safety?

man free. From what I've read/seen of him, he runs a ton of Quarters  and then uses man free to mix up Quarters when he wants to blitz.  He'll run blitz some on early downs, but not a ton, or at least not a ton when he has tOSU's DL personnel. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

Basically. He's saying money isn't an issue and Harrell is there for the taking. Tom is having second thoughts on ceding entire control of the offense.

If this is actually what's happening combined with the Ash hire, CDC better be calling every single BMD and putting together the buyout right now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a pretty good list. With the 4 man front, you have strong side and weak side DTs, so I think it would be Coburn/Sweat and OJomo/Graham. 

I'm assuming it will be more of a 4-2-5 than a 4-3, so using at Ossai at LB would be absurdly stupid. I'm also not sure what youre counting as ILB vs. OLB, but since it's likely a 2 man LB set, I'd guess Mithcell at strong side and Gbenda at weak side with Dele backing up Mitchell and Tillman backing up Gbenda.  I'd like to see us try to spin down Overshown to either Nickel or weakside ILB. I don't think he can handle either deep safety spot.

Nickel: Foster/Thompson, or maybe even Jamison, depending on how much Ash views it as his third LB or more of a true nickel that can cover in man. He likes to mix up his quarters with some press man cover 1 (and then blitz a LB), but he'd struggle to do that with Foster at Nickel against a lot of our opponents.

Ash cant use a nickel and spin down Foster/Overshown as a box safety much because he plays so much quarters, where he needs both safeties deep for the most part.  He switched a former CB to safety at tOSU because he has to have two deep safeties that are good in coverage, so if he wants to play a 4-2-5 and be bigger, then it would have to be through using someone like Foster at Nickel. 

Yeah I forgot about Sweat. He's a 1 tech for sure. In envisioning Foster or Overshown playing down, I was thinking about a three-safety big nickel scheme where you've still got two high safeties. Ideally Overshown would be playing down in a hybrid nickel/LB role, and you can play Sterns and Foster/Brown over the top. Go to a more traditional nickel look with Thompson as a NB against more pass heavy opponents or in obvious passing situations. If Ash's success has come from maximizing athletic advantage, it stands to reason that you want both Foster and Overshown on the field at the same time to the extent it's not a total coverage liability.

While I agree with you that a 4-2-5 is the way to go, I was trying to fill out a 4-3 because I have a feeling we're going to see some of that. It's what he's run his whole career, I don't think Ash is just going to start basing out of something else. Hopefully Ash does the same exercise and sees the same issues, especially when it comes to defending the Lincoln Rileys of the world. 

11 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

I like Coburn at 1 but sweat is athletic enough to play the 6 tech sde.

You absolutely have to have a capable spell for Coburn until proven otherwise. Also, already pointed out, but you need a plus pass rusher there. Sweat's a good player but asking a 300 plus pound guy to do that is a big ask.

Anwar

I checked in with my sources on Sunday afternoon, and was able to gather several Longhorn coordinator coaching nuggets to pass along to you:

--- From what I was told, Chris Ash agreed to become Texas’ defensive coordinator nearly a week ago. Ash considered taking the job at Ohio State, but wanted to challenge of improving Texas’ defense.

--- It appears Ash will have a two-year deal. His contract details will not be revealed for a few weeks. I will need a little more time to flush that out.

--- My sources believe Ash will arrive in Austin within the next two weeks for Alamo Bowl preparation. He is not expected to coach the team this month. However, he will have the ability to contact recruits once his contract is approved by the board of regents. At worst, Ash should hit the ground running in January.

--- Ash is the defensive coordinator. He is not the co-defensive coordinator.

--- Every defensive coach will have an opportunity to interview with Ash after the season, according to my sources inside the building.

--- In addition, my sources said LSU’s Joe Brady and USC’s Graham Harrell are still the top offensive coordinator candidates. However, neither candidate is a slam dunk. There are three to four other candidates on the secretive list if Brady or Harrell are not hired at Texas.

--- Once again, I was told by a person close to Herman that Herman does not believe the offense played so poorly this season that it needs an overhaul. Instead, I was told Herman’s main goal is to find a play-caller who matches his offensive philosophies. My interpretation of that information is once the smoke clears, there is a chance Herman’s hire may not have a lot of hype, but will have the attributes he desires.

--- It is hard to pinpoint a timeline on the offensive coordinator position. However, I sense the position will be filled before the bowl game.

I will keep you posted.

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Anwar

Hide contents

I checked in with my sources on Sunday afternoon, and was able to gather several Longhorn coordinator coaching nuggets to pass along to you:

--- From what I was told, Chris Ash agreed to become Texas’ defensive coordinator nearly a week ago. Ash considered taking the job at Ohio State, but wanted to challenge of improving Texas’ defense.

--- It appears Ash will have a two-year deal. His contract details will not be revealed for a few weeks. I will need a little more time to flush that out.

--- My sources believe Ash will arrive in Austin within the next two weeks for Alamo Bowl preparation. He is not expected to coach the team this month. However, he will have the ability to contact recruits once his contract is approved by the board of regents. At worst, Ash should hit the ground running in January.

--- Every defensive coach will have an opportunity to interview with Ash after the season, according to my sources inside the building.

--- In addition, my sources said LSU’s Joe Brady and USC’s Graham Harrell are still the top offensive coordinator candidates. However, neither candidate is a slam dunk. There are three to four other candidates on the secretive list if Brady or Harrell are not hired at Texas.

--- Once again, I was told by a person close to Herman that Herman does not believe the offense played so poorly this season that it needs an overhaul. Instead, I was told Herman’s main goal is to find a play-caller who matches his offensive philosophies. My interpretation of that information is once the smoke clears, there is a chance Herman’s hire may not have a lot of hype, but will have the attributes he desires.

--- It is hard to pinpoint a timeline on the offensive coordinator position. However, I sense the position will be filled before the bowl game.

I will keep you posted.

If even 10% of that is true, Herman should be drawn and quartered.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah I forgot about Sweat. He's a 1 tech for sure. In envisioning Foster or Overshown playing down, I was thinking about a three-safety big nickel scheme where you've still got two high safeties. Ideally Overshown would be playing down in a hybrid nickel/LB role, and you can play Sterns and Foster/Brown over the top. Go to a more traditional nickel look with Thompson as a NB against more pass heavy opponents or in obvious passing situations. If Ash's success has come from maximizing athletic advantage, it stands to reason that you want both Foster and Overshown on the field at the same time to the extent it's not a total coverage liability.

While I agree with you that a 4-2-5 is the way to go, I was trying to fill out a 4-3 because I have a feeling we're going to see some of that. It's what he's run his whole career, I don't think Ash is just going to start basing out of something else. Hopefully Ash does the same exercise and sees the same issues, especially when it comes to defending the Lincoln Rileys of the world. 

He’s used a 4-2-5 before. He used a 4-3 at tOSU because Darron Lee was an absolute freak. I could see Overshown or Foster filling that same role, but calling it Nickel. 

I’d be very surprised if he ran a true 4-3 much at all. 

Im not convinced either Foster or Overshown can hold up as one of the two deep safeties, so getting both on the field could be a challenge unless one plays Nickel and the other plays weak side ILB.

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Anwar

Reveal hidden contents

I will keep you posted.

Like I said above, if any of that is true, then Herman should be fired immediately. He won’t, but he should.

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Can you give me a mock 1st team defense - the 11 you would start in a presumed 4-2-5?

Based on who is returning and not the 2020 class.

DE - Graham, Ossai, then on passing downs Graham spins down to take Coburn's spot and Bimage comes in

DT - Coburn, Ojomo

MLB - Mitchell

WILL - Vaughns

CB - Green, Cook

S - Sterns, Foster

NB - Overshown, Jamison

Obviously the biggest problem is that LB unit is a fucking disaster right now. I would rather play a 4-1-6 look where Overshown and Foster are hybrid LB/S, and the 2 true S's are Sterns and Brown.

I never knew why Orlando was so hesitant to play a 4 man look, because the deepest position group on the team is the DL right now.

Coburn, Ojomo, Graham, Sweat, Bimage, Jones, Ossai, Carson, Warren, and Mpagi is a pretty deep well of talent.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

who are our stud OLBs exactly?

People better hope like hell that Foster can man the Nickel and Overshown can spin down to LB, because they can’t hold up at safety in this defense. 

We’re gonna need huge years from our 4 man front. Thankfully, a front with Ossai, Coburn, Ojomo, and whoever emerges at the other DE, he it Bimage or Jacoby Jones or someone else, could be pretty salty. 

To me one of the many indictments of this year’s coaching squad was the inability to convince Overshown that he is an OLB.  Foster could probably play there too.  

DL seems like one of our deepest and most talented positions.  The fact that Texas can recruit elite difference makers at the DL position is my main reason for preferring 4 down over 3.  Also the fact that we have average at best LBs.