Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

49 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My fear is that CDC will take in last night's Alamo Bowl win from 30,000 feet and see a 7-3 team in a pandemic-shortened season, a dominating victory in our fourth consecutive bowl win, and a backup QB who showed the potential to play lights out for us in 2021, and think to himself, "Yeah, we're good with Herman."

I reserve the right to change my opinion when I start drinking.

My fear is getting an STD from your mom.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't think he means us specifically but rather last night made it easier for Herman himself to find a landing spot. Which as Hiphop pointed out it would decrease the value we owe Herman.

Just scanning twitter saw multiple Vols fans being open to taking a flyer on Herman. Seems like it would be a pretty good fit. Tennessee really can't get any worse at this point.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

What the hell is that?  There is nothing dynamic that Casey brings that he needs a package for him....  If he plays it's because he beats out Same or whomever else there is on the team.  He isn't some dynamic change of pace that you create a package around.....

be aggressive and throw deep and down the middle with some misdirection added in here and there like salt in a pot of chili could be a package. 

1 minute ago, troph said:

be aggressive and throw deep and down the middle with some misdirection added in here and there like salt in a pot of chili could be a package. 

If he is the better QB than just let him play.  I am not saying he is, but you don't do the whole bring in the package QB with a guy who has been in the system for what 2 years? to replace the 5th year QB?  QB packages are what you do for the true freshman that hasn't figured it out yet but is an amazing talent.  Not the Redshirt sophmore who should know the full playbook.  I hate the QB package idea in general....I really hate it in this situation. 

Let the best QB play whichever it is. Don't be jerking them in and out of the game on some hackneed package substitutions.

2 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

If he is the better QB than just let him play.  I am not saying he is, but you don't do the whole bring in the package QB with a guy who has been in the system for what 2 years? to replace the 5th year QB?  QB packages are what you do for the true freshman that hasn't figured it out yet but is an amazing talent.  Not the Redshirt sophmore who should know the full playbook.  I hate the QB package idea in general....I really hate it in this situation. 

Let the best QB play whichever it is. Don't be jerking them in and out of the game on some hackneed package substitutions.

What's the old saying? If you have two quarterbacks in the game then you don't have one? 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

We’re a 9-4 team this year. W @kansas and the grimme game. L to LSU (given Herman’s penchant to get out coached). Is that enough to save him?  

Tcu ( the late fumble) and ISU (take the fg and later, don’t take the sack) were W’s that got away. We had a squad to make the playoffs. Urban has to see that. 

1. We aren’t losing to that LSU team, especially early in the season when they looked even shittier.
2. No that still wouldn’t have been enough.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

My fear is that CDC will take in last night's Alamo Bowl win from 30,000 feet and see a 7-3 team in a pandemic-shortened season, a dominating victory in our fourth consecutive bowl win, and a backup QB who showed the potential to play lights out for us in 2021, and think to himself, "Yeah, we're good with Herman."

I reserve the right to change my opinion when I start drinking.

If CDC didn’t have his mind made up before the bowl game, he should be fired. 
If CDC had his mind to keep Herman before the bowl game, he should be fired. 

Like others have said, this is out of CDC’s hands thankfully, so he couldn’t unilaterally decide to keep Herman even if he wanted to. 

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

CDC is not making the decision anymore. It’s out of his hands and those in charge are all committed to the upgrade. If anything, last night made it easier to find Herman a landing spot. 

Wonder what jobs will be available for him

Its not 'up to us' - but a good landing spot for Herman means a significantly reduced buyout. 
*and I expect Herman will have a pretty decent choices available to him.  It didn't work out here - but he did put up a 32-18 record including 4-0 in bowls.  Some school is going to be impressed enough to make him an offer that gets good in 2024.

FIFY.

10 hours ago, wood said:

Something else re: the 'elite game planning' angle:

Does anyone here really think what happened tonight was the result of the gameplan? What I saw was a very talented & much deeper team running over & pushing around a far less talented team minus a real QB --- and having trouble doing that until depth, Bijan, and CT took over.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

630am is a weird time. The alcoholics that are truly committed are still awake and drinking, and the go getters are already awake and working. 

Lots of drunks out on the road early in the a.m., too. Sadly.

1. We aren’t losing to that LSU team, especially early in the season when they looked even shittier.
2. No that still wouldn’t have been enough.

Yeah, this. I don’t say this as a defense of Herman or anything. LSU was atrocious this year. Texas would’ve won by 10-14 and the hype machine would’ve been rolling.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jdhorn92 said:

He wouldn’t get fired if we were 10-3 with W over LSU

Maybe maybe not. Mack got fired for seasons like that towards the end. Obviously expectations have shifted the past 7-8 years but I feel like our expectations are closer to what they were following 2009 than what they were even 2-3 years ago.

Herman has ironically done himself a disservice by winning at a better clip than Charlie and playing big time programs very tight or winning. He has reminded us where Texas should be and what Texas is capable of. Whereas under Charlie and even in year one of Herman I think the fanbase started to get the feeling "well, shit. Maybe we just suck"

27 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

We’re a 9-4 team this year. W @kansas and the grimme game. L to LSU (given Herman’s penchant to get out coached). Is that enough to save him?  

Tcu ( the late fumble) and ISU (take the fg and later, don’t take the sack) were W’s that got away. We had a squad to make the playoffs. Urban has to see that. 

If you want to play that game, we SHOULD have lost to Tech and probably even West Virginia if not for a total blown defensive PI right at the end of the game.

• Hook 'Em 2

Colorado was small and slow and horribly overmatched.  That was a fun game/win but that was a shitty fucking opponent who if they had played a full regular season would have likely not have rated even an Alamo Bowl appearance.

They had a 6 point when over a shitty UCLA team

A 3 point win over a Stanford team that I guarantee you was playing against the will of the entire leadership of the school and this was their most "impressive" win)

10 point win over SDSU 

11 point win over Rumlin

Got killed by Utah

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, C-Man said:

If you want to play that game, we SHOULD have lost to Tech and probably even West Virginia if not for a total blown defensive PI right at the end of the game.

Or a dropped touchdown pass by WVU.

We were a nipple hair away from being a 6 loss team on the schedule we played. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Colorado was small and slow and horribly overmatched.  That was a fun game/win but that was a shitty fucking opponent who if they had played a full regular season would have likely not have rated even an Alamo Bowl appearance.

They had a 6 point when over a shitty UCLA team

A 3 point win over a Stanford team that I guarantee you was playing against the will of the entire leadership of the school and this was their most "impressive" win)

10 point win over SDSU 

11 point win over Rumlin

Got killed by Utah

Yeah, they would've struggled to get to 6 wins in a full season. They were completely outmatched last night. It's further evidence of Herman's shortcomings as a HC that it was a one-score game at the half.

12 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

He wouldn’t get fired if we were 10-3 with W over LSU

Maybe not. But talks were before the season Big 12 championship or bust, and that 10-3 still wouldn’t have even warranted an appearance in the ccg. Seeing how reluctant CDC has been at 7–3 though you’re probably right, but he still wouldn’t deserve to come back and many here would be pissed.

Just now, HenryJames said:

8-5, 9-4, and 8-5.

If you give Herman 10-3 this season (which is obviously purely hypothetical and I'm sure the bowl matchup would have been different) he would have been 28-12 over the past 3 seasons. Which is marginally better than Mack's 25-14 - and Mack had much less talent on the field (obviously through no fault of his own - but still underlies why Herman needs to go).

With the shortened season this year Herman is 25-12 to Mack's 25-14. Both had one win against OU. If you thought Mack should go after 2013 then it's pretty fucking hypocritical to try and wishcast Herman back for 2021 (not accusing you of this - just putting it out there because there are A LOT of people it applies to).

Just now, closetohumping said:

Two of my least favorite fucks in the Longhorn universe.

"I'm just saying if it were up to me - err um I mean just up to CDC - then obviously you have to bring Herman back. It's the right move and every Texas fan should be nothing but grateful and 100% supportive when Herman returns. If not you're a terrible person"

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If you give Herman 10-3 this season (which is obviously purely hypothetical and I'm sure the bowl matchup would have been different) he would have been 28-12 over the past 3 seasons. Which is marginally better than Mack's 25-14 - and Mack had much less talent on the field (obviously through no fault of his own - but still underlies why Herman needs to go).

With the shortened season this year Herman is 25-12 to Mack's 25-14. Both had one win against OU. If you thought Mack should go after 2013 then it's pretty fucking hypocritical to try and wishcast Herman back for 2021 (not accusing you of this - just putting it out there because there are A LOT of people it applies to).

Biggest difference, people like Mack...Herman is unanimously hated by everyone

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Maybe maybe not. Mack got fired for seasons like that towards the end. Obviously expectations have shifted the past 7-8 years but I feel like our expectations are closer to what they were following 2009 than what they were even 2-3 years ago.

Herman has ironically done himself a disservice by winning at a better clip than Charlie and playing big time programs very tight or winning. He has reminded us where Texas should be and what Texas is capable of. Whereas under Charlie and even in year one of Herman I think the fanbase started to get the feeling "well, shit. Maybe we just suck"

We get teased with glimpses of our potential and then completely kicked in the nuts with how poorly we can also play all within a single season,  game,  half, and drive.

Good coaches will minimize the 'oh fuck me' moments. Great coaches will almost completely eliminate that and the potential will almost aways be maximized. Urban is that guy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

We get teased with glimpses of our potential and then completely kicked in the nuts with how poorly we can also play all within a single season,  game,  half, and drive.

Good coaches will minimize the 'oh fuck me' moments. Great coaches will almost completely eliminate that and the potential will almost aways be maximized. Urban is that guy. 

Yep Urban would pound teams like Wva, ISU, and TCU. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

"I'm just saying if it were up to me - err um I mean just up to CDC - then obviously you have to bring Herman back. It's the right move and every Texas fan should be nothing but grateful and 100% supportive when Herman returns. If not you're a terrible person"

Season 3 Thumbs Up GIF by The Simpsons

I don’t know what this is but it looked like it belonged somewhere.  

sexy traci lords GIF by RETRO-FIEND

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

the guy had 4 years and not only could he not come in first(before the stupid champ game) in the Big 12 he only came in second once.

the guy isn't the guy.  Maryland 2 told us all we needed to know.  

He has one big win(Georgia) and his only other redeeming coaching quality is that he doesn't get blown out.  He is at best the 4th best coach(more likely 5th) coach in the conference.  If we want to continue to ride 3 to 4 loss seasons, with losses to OU, Herman is our guy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

sure I will support the team(which means Herman) because it ain't his call.  My support for CDC will be gone.  He's only big time when it comes to the little sports apparently.

The Colorado win means nothing. Herman has his strengths, and one of them is winning bowl games. We know that. But he also has severe weaknesses, such as

1) not being able to compete with OU,

2) not getting to the Big 12 championship game,

3) inexplicably losing routine conference games,

4) playing weaker teams waaaay too close,

5) letting out of state programs pillage our state in recruiting, and

6) not even being part of the national/playoff discussion.

Beating a 4-win Colorado team with a month to prepare does nothing to fix the problems facing this program.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Yeah this 6-3 team could/should have easily been 5-4 or 4-5. With THAT talent and a senior 'Heisman watch' qb (snicker), in a really bad year for the Big 12, with a terrible OU sucks. Anyone who thinks TH should be retained should have zero input.