Why do we keep fucking this up?

GhostOfTomJoad

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Hubris and incompetence.  Like JJ with the Cowboys, we have leaders that "think" they know what they are doing.  They are good are marketing a perception about the team without actually delivering much in the way of actual competence.  

This applies as much to the BMDs as to actual administration or AD.  If we are going to begin to dedicate ourselves to having a top tier football program, the alums are going to have to put their dicks away and get themselves on the same page and get the AD and administration on the same page as well.

To hire a good staff.  Yes they can.  Where ISU and Texas differ are on facilities/building.  They're not capable of building a massive stadium, etc.  They can, get fairly out over their skis if they wanted and have a seat at the table trying to money-whip a decent coach.  

On 10/26/2019 at 8:48 PM, Vic Mackey said:

I wonder how much this current generation cares about sports in general. Seems they are not near as passionate about sports as our generations..

Definitely. Half of the UT campus didn't care about the football team when I was there 15 years ago, and we were actually good then. It's only gotten worse and it will continue to get worse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

the alums are going to have to put their dicks away and get themselves on the same page and get the AD and administration on the same page as well.

But I waited fifteen years to reach my earnings peak and I want my turn to do something stupid with my money like all the BMDs that came before me!!!

5 minutes ago, housious said:

Definitely. Half of the UT campus didn't care about the football team when I was there 15 years ago, and we were actually good then. It's only gotten worse and it will continue to get worse. 

My cousin who is 22 gives no fucks about sports. He plays them on video games but in terms of watching, does not care one single bit. Many of his friends are the same way. It seems to be a steady decline as the generations go on. Not sure if it's because they have so many other entertainment options at their young age when they are growing up. I wonder what the sports landscape will look like in a few decades. 

On 10/26/2019 at 7:45 PM, dcar00 said:

yep.  we hired a guy who when asked(if he was asked)said I'm bringing Houston to Texas(except for Major) or I'm not coming and will go to LSU.  Herman had no idea who the best coaches were that he thought he could get, he had to bring sycophants because the guy had never had a real HC gig in a real conf.

we didn't ask the right questions we just panicked thinking we wouldn't have a date to the dance.  We're Texas but don't really act like Texas.  we kowtow to shitty coaches because we don't know how to prepare to do what needs to be done.

this is mackovic all over again, arrogant, offensive coach who doesn't know dick about being a HC at a big time program.  He's done.  the question is if it will go another 2 years like it did with mackovic.

Herman can't hold Mackovic's jock in regards to offensive design and playcalling. 

• Like 1

Money? We've got it all
Facilities? Yep
Recruiting grounds?  See above
Why in the hell are we looking like the Minnesota fucking Gophers?
Too much focus on money/power and not enough focus on winning.

Mack's focus was getting big cigars lined up. He could recruit, and that was worth 9 wins. He wasn't a championship level coach. He was a championship level recruiter. But when money and power became more important than recruiting, we couldn't get a winning QB going. Garrett Gilbert could have been ok, but we should have had 5 guys ready to go if he wasn't.

We could have won with Charlie Strong and a QB, but we didn't have a QB... Or an OL. instead, we had Cigar v Cigar and bright in an AD to not spend money because half the cigars were pissed about the coordinator.

Now we have another coordinator, apparently. He can recruit. We're not convinced he's mature enough to run the business and lead the team. He has everything at his disposal and an AD that knows how to deploy the resources. The money made a choice to get their guy, who may be the right guy... or may not.

I'd like to win the conference, but I'm not sure that's important to everyone involved...

But I know money is.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

My cousin who is 22 gives no fucks about sports. He plays them on video games but in terms of watching, does not care one single bit. Many of his friends are the same way. It seems to be a steady decline as the generations go on. Not sure if it's because they have so many other entertainment options at their young age when they are growing up. I wonder what the sports landscape will look like in a few decades. 

It'll look like 1 big soccer field.

• Like 1

The kids on campus never cares about the wins as much as the alums. I didn't care as much as I do now, either.

Hell, if it were just a generational thing, it would exist everywhere.

Our University is all in on football money, because it buys things. If those big checks came with escalators and clawbacks, things might be different.

Winning is hard when you don't know how to win. Who are the winners in the football program? Why are they all getting paid like champs?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Laga4 said:

It'll look like 1 big soccer field.

Soccer’s been the “next big thing” for decades at this point. Which is why it’s hilarious to see the national program just get worse and worse. It’s a lost cause in America. E-sports & VR shit will largely overtake actual sports in the coming years. Unfortunately.

On 10/27/2019 at 11:15 AM, David Dennison said:

Texas is never going to be the program that goes all in on football, mainly because in the end, it's just football.

Why do you keep posting this drivel in every thread? 

Texas has the 7th highest paid head coach in football and that's only because others did a better job and got extensions and raises. If he were to even qualify for a playoff you bet your ass he becomes the highest paid HC in the country.

Texas outspends almost every other program. And while Texas has the highest revenue, its barely over Aggy and others. Source: https://www.sportsmanagementdegreehub.com/the-universities-that-spend-the-most-on-athletics/

I know its easy to just say that we never cared in the first place, but that's patently false. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Snacks said:

The kids on campus never cares about the wins as much as the alums. I didn't care as much as I do now, either.

Hell, if it were just a generational thing, it would exist everywhere.

Our University is all in on football money, because it buys things. If those big checks came with escalators and clawbacks, things might be different.

Winning is hard when you don't know how to win. Who are the winners in the football program? Why are they all getting paid like champs?

You don’t really need that much money for escalators.  I was at blinn college and even their rec center had escalators.  Next excuse?

Why do you keep posting this drivel in every thread? 
Texas has the 7th highest paid head coach in football and that's only because others did a better job and got extensions and raises. If he were to even qualify for a playoff you bet your ass he becomes the highest paid HC in the country.
Texas outspends almost every other program. And while Texas has the highest revenue, its barely over Aggy and others. Source: https://www.sportsmanagementdegreehub.com/the-universities-that-spend-the-most-on-athletics/
I know its easy to just say that we never cared in the first place, but that's patently false. 
Caring about being rich does not mean actually caring about winning at football.

Your post says, essentially, we have a lot of money, and pay a lot of money.... But other coaches do better jobs. We pay thrle most for less.

How/Why?
  • Like 2

I just realized that, in less than 4 years, Baylor has gone from a rape scandal of epic proportions, a 1-11 collapse, and 3 coaches in 2years to being the BigXIi’s undefeated front runner with a non-imaginary chance to make the playoff. 

Yet we are kind of in the same place we were in 2011 and I am being told to be patient.  

I get schedule and all but wow. 

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I just realized that, in less than 4 years, Baylor has gone from a rape scandal of epic proportions, a 1-11 collapse, and 3 coaches in 2years to being the BigXIi’s undefeated front runner with a non-imaginary chance to make the playoff. 

Yet we are kind of in the same place we were in 2011 and I am being told to be patient.  

I get schedule and all but wow. 

We are not in the same place we were in 2011. In 2011 we lost by 38 to OU and by 24 to fucking Baylor. This year we lost by 7 to OU and we’ll probably lose by 7 to fucking Baylor. We are less bad.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Caring about being rich does not mean actually caring about winning at football.

Your post says, essentially, we have a lot of money, and pay a lot of money.... But other coaches do better jobs. We pay thrle most for less.

How/Why?

Texas had revenues of $219 million spending $206 million which is 94% of the money earned.

Aggy had revenues of $212 million spending $165 million which is 77% of the money earned. 

tOSU had revenues of $205 million spending $203 million which is 98% of the money earned. 

So yeah, Texas has slightly more money than other schools but it definitely spends a lot of it. Can we drop the we are rich BS because earning a few million more/year over other schools isn't really rich in the grand scheme of things. 

If Texas didn't care about football they wouldn't have:

Fired one of its most successful coaches after years of above average results given the college landscape. But it wasn't good enough for Texas, at Texas.

Fired the next coach in year 3 because he wasn't the standard. 

Hired a coach that was the hottest commodity when he was hired outbidding LSU.

Expanded the stadium to one of the largest stadiums in the country. 

If you really want to see what not caring for football looks like you should look at Harvard. Compared to Texas, Harvard has way more money. Many many times more. It has $38 billion in endowment with a student body of 22,000 whereas UT system has an endowment of $30 billion with 220,000 students. And they spend so little of it on football that they don't even offer scholarships. THAT is not caring for football. 

Texas definitely does, it just doesn't win as it makes some shitty decisions.

• Like 1

In Mack’s waning days he couldn’t hire good assistants. He either couldn’t identify them or they didn’t want to coach under him.

In Charlie’s case, the great assistants had no interest in working for him and I’m getting the feeling it’s the same with Herman.

In Mack’s waning days he couldn’t hire good assistants. He either couldn’t identify them or they didn’t want to coach under him.

In Charlie’s case, the great assistants had no interest in working for him and I’m getting the feeling it’s the same with Herman.

Muschamp was well respected, and while he left for Florida HC which is an understandable decision, I have no doubt he shared his experiences under Mack with other assistants.

Harsin was also well respected and left his OC role at Texas for HC at Arkansas State. That's a fine program and all, but you don't leave OC at Texas for that role unless you really don't believe in where things are going and you want out.

You start getting guys like those two jumping ship and talking to buddies, during the years where Mack seemed to be checked out and clearly was trending down, not shocking top coordinators weren't jumping at the chance to coach under him.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Muschamp was well respected, and while he left for Florida HC which is an understandable decision, I have no doubt he shared his experiences under Mack with other assistants.

Harsin was also well respected and left his OC role at Texas for HC at Arkansas State. That's a fine program and all, but you don't leave OC at Texas for that role unless you really don't believe in where things are going and you want out.

You start getting guys like those two jumping ship and talking to buddies, during the years where Mack seemed to be checked out and clearly was trending down, not shocking top coordinators weren't jumping at the chance to coach under him.

You don't leave OC at Texas to become a HC at a fine G5 program? 

Okay, this website has stupid takes, but OC for a withering Mack Brown <<<<<< running your own program.  And he used it as a stepping stone for Boise State. Dude was 100x smarter than anyone else on Mack's staff at the time.  I would have loved to have gone after him for Texas HC.  

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 1:48 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Think way in the future is people will choose to live in Matrix type virtual world by choice.  When they get to a certain age, they get unplugged but until then, they get to be Tom Brady’s and LeBron’s.  

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Okay, this website has stupid takes, but OC for a withering Mack Brown <<<<<< running your own program.  And he used it as a stepping stone for Boise State. Dude was 100x smarter than anyone else on Mack's staff at the time.  I would have loved to have gone after him for Texas HC.  

I always wanted Mullen, he had shown the most as a head coach and seems to have it pointed in the right direction at UF.  Harsin was on my short list, and will likely be the top of my list if/when we move on from Mensa.

• Like 1

Okay, this website has stupid takes, but OC for a withering Mack Brown
I think you're agreeing with my point. It was a better move for Harsin because Mack was withering.

OCs under Meyer and Saban aren't leaving for Arkansas State. Strange as it sounds, at one point Mack would have been considered a coach in their league, with two national championship appearances in five years.

The fact that Harsin made the jump was a clear indicator of where Mack's program was trending, and that's why he couldn't attract elite coordinators anymore.

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

[Harsin] was 100x smarter than anyone else on Mack's staff at the time.  I would have loved to have gone after him for Texas HC.  

You goddamn right.

5 hours ago, jinx said:

Harsin was on my short list, and will likely be the top of my list if/when we move on from Mensa.

You goddamn right.

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

The fact that Harsin made the jump was a clear indicator of where Mack's program was trending, and that's why he couldn't attract elite coordinators anymore.

See above.

Harsin was (supposedly) offered free reign with the O, but that was just another lie from Silver-tongue MacBrown. Soon as he signed, Mack saddled him up and sat The Maj™ on his shoulders, and made it clear that the Offense would be whatever Mack wanted it to be... culminating with the Holiday Bowl Clipboard offer.

I absolutely agree with y'all who would not hesitate two seconds to sign Harsin, right now, today.

• Like 2