Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

7 hours ago, Superhero said:

I've been rocking one of these for the past 20+ years. It's not standard input, not reverse Polish either, but at this point, it's what I'm used to.

image.png.518540b4ca73e78de1ffbefe9aff4cf7.png

Started at Big 8/5/4 accounting firm?  I still have my originally issued one.

cuz i have nothing else to do, i looked up the actual paralympic regulations around eligibility, and the actual tokyo 2020 docs says amputation/limb deficiency qualify.  does not specify that it is lower-limb. 

vids of previous olympic competition show lots of wheelchair fencers who are missing an arm, but appear to have fully functioning legs - some are walking around and literally dancing to celebrate. 

so basically if you are missing an arm, you can participate in a competition where you are strapped (physically, not just figuratively) to a wheelchair, to play pointy-stick against someone else.  wtf.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I killed my HP-11C today. The details don't matter, I was careless. That motherfucker was used almost daily for 40 years and was going into my coffin with me.

Well, now you can go into the coffin with it instead of the other way around.

23 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I killed my HP-11C today. The details don't matter, I was careless. That motherfucker was used almost daily for 40 years and was going into my coffin with me.

15C user here.  Got mine in 1985.  Stopped using it at work when I found a good HP calc ap (RLM-11CX) that I liked.  It's only on IOS which is probably the main reason I still use an apple phone.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I’ve been sitting in exam room at Dr. since 3pm ( 50 minutes now). My appointment was for 3. Starting to get pretty pissed as I’ve a call at 5pm I’ve got to be on and still no sign of Dr. 

Use their room phone for that call, and I promise you a physician or P.A. will be in there within 30 seconds.  

Do you even Curb, bro?  

54 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I’ve been sitting in exam room at Dr. since 3pm ( 50 minutes now). My appointment was for 3. Starting to get pretty pissed as I’ve a call at 5pm I’ve got to be on and still no sign of Dr. 

You sat there for 50 min? After half an hour I'd be finding someone to bitch to. 

Just now, ztejas said:

You sat there for 50 min? After half an hour I'd be finding someone to bitch to. 

I had a time window to work in and was doing email/browsing Surly so was ok for 30 odd minutes, then it just never ended and I finally walked out of room. It's just crazy. At least have a nurse pop in to say "sorry the Dr is late is all ok?" a couple of times

On 8/17/2021 at 8:43 PM, thunderlounge said:

Dude. I think we all got your point way back. No need to drag that shit around to other threads for attention. 

On 8/18/2021 at 9:46 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Tolerance of intolerance isn’t tolerance. It’s complicit intolerance.

Let it go.

Alright guys enough is enough. Let's get this settled once and for all, time for both of y'all to strip down to your underwear and rassle to decide who's right.

On 8/19/2021 at 1:46 PM, Underdog said:

Just wait till they get outside and start littering their butts all over the place. 

I don't litter with mine. I just find cars who left the windows cracked because of the heat and pitch them in there.

Just kidding of course.

• Haha 1

Is there a shortage of low-end beer in glass bottles? In particular, my go-to trash beer is Bud Ice, and my nearest HEB and convenience stores are always out of stock of the 12 oz. bottles now.

Edit: apparently there is a shortage of bottles. Jesus it's like the whole world is falling apart

https://beernet.com/bottles-a-major-sticking-point-for-a-b-this-summer/

Edited by Paper_jam

5 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Is there a shortage of low-end beer in glass bottles? In particular, my go-to trash beer is Bud Ice, and my nearest HEB and convenience stores are always out of stock of the 12 oz. bottles now.

Edit: apparently there is a shortage of bottles. Jesus it's like the whole world is falling apart

You sound like a poors...

18 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

I’m also told there’s a shortage of aluminum cans.

https://www.supplychaindive.com/news/ball-molson-coors-aluminum-can-shortage-production/595004/

All I know is that my beer of choice (Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA), and some other top choices, don’t come in bottles anymore. I can still buy Bell’s Two Hearted Ale in bottles at Kroger. And that’s good stuff. But I can’t drink beer out of a can. I won’t. I’ve tried. There’s a difference. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I take it you never work with files that go through multiple revisions where each revision needs to be retained.

Do it every day.  Putting the date in the name doesn't help you when you have multiple revisions on the same day.  Plus, windows automatically includes the time of the last revision, in addition to the date.  So you can list by date and the earliest versions will show up in order based on time and date.  What I do is, if it's my revision then I'll put a parenthetical with my initials (BMF) and Rev. X. Each successive revision of mine will be X+1.  Works for me. And when they ask for my latest version, I tell them, "It's the one with BMF on it."

1 hour ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Do it every day.  Putting the date in the name doesn't help you when you have multiple revisions on the same day.  Plus, windows automatically includes the time of the last revision, in addition to the date.  So you can list by date and the earliest versions will show up in order based on time and date.  What I do is, if it's my revision then I'll put a parenthetical with my initials (BMF) and Rev. X. Each successive revision of mine will be X+1.  Works for me. And when they ask for my latest version, I tell them, "It's the one with BMF on it."

How often do you need to refer to date-specific files emailed to you on your phone? 

On 8/24/2021 at 11:23 PM, Superhero said:

I've been rocking one of these for the past 20+ years. It's not standard input, not reverse Polish either, but at this point, it's what I'm used to.

image.png.518540b4ca73e78de1ffbefe9aff4cf7.png

Still rocking my HP41 - one at home and one at work. Have 11 is a desk drawer

2 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

When people save files with the date in the name.  Totally pointless, redundant and confusing.

Yes and no. It's confusing when it's a live file that you're still editing. No if you're archiving the file.

At work, I've trained my team that at any time, there should only be ONE LIVE FILE, e.g. Bunny Ranch Budget LIVE FILE.

Every few days, we'll archive the file, and rename it Bunny Ranch Budget ARCHIVED yyyy-mm-dd

What makes me ragey is if someone outside of my team grabs the file from box, and makes a copy called ... LIVE FILE mm/dd. Makes me want to reach through the ether and throttle the idiot.

4 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

When people save files with the date in the name.  Totally pointless, redundant and confusing.

Until Microsoft introduced auto-save, I would have agreed with you.  Now, if I open a file from two years ago, accidentally hit the space bar and then back space, or even ctrl-z, it will have today's date as the last modified date.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

Yes and no. It's confusing when it's a live file that you're still editing. No if you're archiving the file.

At work, I've trained my team that at any time, there should only be ONE LIVE FILE, e.g. Bunny Ranch Budget LIVE FILE.

Every few days, we'll archive the file, and rename it Bunny Ranch Budget ARCHIVED yyyy-mm-dd

What makes me ragey is if someone outside of my team grabs the file from box, and makes a copy called ... LIVE FILE mm/dd. Makes me want to reach through the ether and throttle the idiot.

If you need that use real version control like git. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shakahorn said:

Until Microsoft introduced auto-save, I would have agreed with you.  Now, if I open a file from two years ago, accidentally hit the space bar and then back space, or even ctrl-z, it will have today's date as the last modified date.

Hence why I refuse to use auto save. 

4 hours ago, Superhero said:

I avoid 2021-08-26, or 08/26/21. I work with many non-US people. To avoid the confusion about whether “08/12” means august 12 or December 8, I always just abbreviate the month. So a typical file name will be “surly diatribe nnm comments 26Aug21.”  
60% of the time, it works every time. 

Edited by nnm

45 minutes ago, nnm said:

I avoid 2021-08-26, or 08/26/21. I work with many non-US people. To avoid the confusion about whether “08/12” means august 12 or December 8, I always just abbreviate the month. So a typical file name will be “surly diatribe nnm comments 26Aug21.”  
60% of the time, it works every time. 

Yeah, until you're sorting by file name, and all of the sudden 26Aug21 is right below 25Apr19 when you're looking for 21Aug21. yyyy-mm-dd to rule them all when it comes to file names.

For file names:
     Project What Is It LIVE FILE
     Project What Is It ARCHIVED yyyy-mm-dd

For folder names, start with the date:
     yyyy-mm-dd TOPIC

Yes I and others have put a LOT of thought into it. I have indoctrinated the team in my office and they appreciate the naming conventions etc. It really makes life easier when you're looking for something. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Team date on file.

2021 Jones ALL DOCS

2021 Jones CONTRACT

2021 Jones ESTIMATE

2021 Jones Snake Farm ADJUSTMENT Claim # 123 ABC 456

2021 Jones STRUCTURAL LIMITATIONS AGREEMENT (or abbreviated to SLA)

These are primarily for my own internal uses & when saved as a .pdf, I sometimes use the same names as listed in full vs. the "SLA" thing.

15 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Why the fuck do you care how I save files on my computer?

Rename the sumbeech.

and a shit-ton of our stuff is time sensitive, so the date or at least the business week is absolutely relevant.

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Why the fuck do you care how I save files on my computer?

Rename the sumbeech.

and a shit-ton of our stuff is time sensitive, so the date or at least the business week is absolutely relevant.

I care if it's something I'm working on too or will need to refer to later.  I'm talking about files that are saved to a server and everyone has access to them. Files saved to your own drive are a different story - don't care about those.  It wouldn't be as bad if they didn't put the date in the beginning of the name.  If it's a sorting issue, you can always sort by date without having the date in the name of the file.