Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I have a CD player and a large collection of awesome CD’s. I couldn’t carry them all and there’s no road trip long enough that I would need to do so. But I can carry more than I need and enough to cover any mood that strikes me.

There are good things about satellite radio but it’s just like AM when you lose the signal driving through the mountains or tunnels or under bridges.

I use my phone 99% of the time. Typically a playlist or something I don’t have to mess with once going so I can drive and not have to mess with it. 

I do have satellite, but as an additional receiver piggy backing on the old lady’s account. I rarely use it unless there’s a game on and driving. 

38 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

So a lot of old dudes who can't get it up spent too much money on their toys trying to impress chicks and are in trouble with the IRS.

Pretty much sums it up. Only thing left is for someone to turn it into a country song. 

56 minutes ago, elfenix said:
3 hours ago, Sandman said:
Every other radio ad is for boner pills or some other ED treatment. 
And yes, I'm too cheap to pay for SiriusXM or any other music service. 

And the other ads are for IRS settlement firms

Don't you even have a settlement but need ca$h now, bro?

On 7/25/2021 at 5:54 AM, nnm said:

This has been covered. Any of us who have had advanced driver training, particularly in the energy industry, know it’s by far the safest way to park, particularly in crowded places like a school, grocery store, or strip mall. You visually “clear” the parking space as you drive across it, knowing it’s safe to back into. Then your first move is forward on exit, knowing you’ve visually cleared the forward space as you walked up to it. 

It doesn’t delay parking lot traffic any more than Karen making a 6-point turn backing her Excursion out when she’s leaving. Why does it irritate you when people are parking, but not when it’s the same delay when they’re leaving?

When I was a kid, my cousin backed over her toddler as she backed out of the garage. Completely preventable by backing in. I park so my first move is forward whenever possible. 

Also a lot of construction companies require you to back in when parking at their field offices/trailers.  The way their logic was explained to me is it no one is flying 90 to nothing getting to work and probably dragging like take a couple seconds and back in, as to where when it's time to get off everybody's driving like a bat out of hell to get home and have more accidents when they are pulled in rather than backed in. I think it was Zachary construction that did the research on that.

Edited by SHOOTER12

On 7/25/2021 at 5:54 AM, nnm said:

This has been covered. Any of us who have had advanced driver training, particularly in the energy industry, know it’s by far the safest way to park, particularly in crowded places like a school, grocery store, or strip mall. You visually “clear” the parking space as you drive across it, knowing it’s safe to back into. Then your first move is forward on exit, knowing you’ve visually cleared the forward space as you walked up to it. 

It doesn’t delay parking lot traffic any more than Karen making a 6-point turn backing her Excursion out when she’s leaving. Why does it irritate you when people are parking, but not when it’s the same delay when they’re leaving?

When I was a kid, my cousin backed over her toddler as she backed out of the garage. Completely preventable by backing in. I park so my first move is forward whenever possible. 

I hated reading the bolded part. Reason being I very seldom ever dream, but last night I had nightmares about a child being run over twice at a church event. The father's car was acting up and it was on a slight incline and he was pushing it up to the curb stop to get it out of the way. Of course children were playing everywhere and later when he started to move his car his young daughter was right behind the driver side rear tire, so when he pushed the clutch in to start it, it rolled backwards running over her. I screamed stop but not before he panicked and put it back in drive and pulled forward running over her again. It ran over her dead center longitudinaly both times. I remember the scene as being so grizzly that I woke up and immediately had to go to the bathroom and throw up. That dream has haunted me all day long.

Edited by SHOOTER12

3 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I hated reading the bolded part. Reason being I very seldom ever dream, but last night I had nightmares about a child being run over twice at a church event. The father's car was acting up and it was on a slight incline and he was pushing it up to the curb stop to get it out of the way. Of course children were playing everywhere and later when he started to move his car his young daughter was right behind the driver side rear tire, so when he pushed the clutch in to start it, it rolled backwards running over her. I screamed stop but not before he panicked and put it back in drive and pulled forward running over her again. It ran over her dead center longitudinaly both times. I remember the scene as being so grizzly that I woke up and immediately had to go to the bathroom and throw up. That dream has haunted me all day long.

Damn bro. That shit can happen. One of Steven Curtis Chapman's (Christian singer) was killed in their driveway. I think it was by one of their older children. Just beyond sad

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Yes, I know that feeling. I didn’t witness the scene of my cousin like you did, but it affected me deeply. When my kids were small I was absolutely paranoid about it. Now that grandkids are in the near future I’m sure I’ll be even more neurotic about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

When they hand me my drink at the drive-thru and there is a pool of liquid on the lid and/or drips running down the side of the cup. Have some fucking pride in your job!

Better yet, they take your payment.  Close the window while it's processing and wipe down the little window counter area from the last bag/drink sitting there.  Open the window, hand you back your card, hand you your drink but realize at the last moment that pool of liquid is spilling down the sides of the cup.  So they take that same cleaning rag and wipe down the sides of your beverage before attempting to hand it to you.  Watch how often that happens next time you're at a drive-thru.  I stopped ordering drinks at the start of Covid-19.  Not because of unsweet tea viral spread, but because I really started noticing this.  Or they'll just grab some other rag in the immediate vicinity and wipe your drink down with it.  Nope.  Life's too short to get the runs from a $2 iced tea.

I have a CD player and a large collection of awesome CD’s. I couldn’t carry them all and there’s no road trip long enough that I would need to do so. But I can carry more than I need and enough to cover any mood that strikes me.
There are good things about satellite radio but it’s just like AM when you lose the signal driving through the mountains or tunnels or under bridges.

Not like AM radio at all. I drive about 40k a year and I don’t lose a signal nor do I have to change the Dial on a 500 mile trip. And vastly unlike AM radio I can and do use the app so I can fast forward through all commercials on ESPNU radio (also not on AM)

When they hand me my drink at the drive-thru and there is a pool of liquid on the lid and/or drips running down the side of the cup. Have some fucking pride in your job!

I’m blitzed but I’ll add a rider… when you order a milkshake or smoothie and they overfill the cup so it runs over when they press the lid down. But That’s not even the worst part which is even if the side of the cup is cleaned from the overrun, there’s still ready to run remnants lurking under the lid rim. Oh and it’ll damn well run halfway through the drink.
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Also a lot of construction companies require you to back in when parking at their field offices/trailers.  The way their logic was explained to me is it no one is flying 90 to nothing getting to work and probably dragging like take a couple seconds and back in, as to where when it's time to get off everybody's driving like a bat out of hell to get home and have more accidents when they are pulled in rather than backed in. I think it was Zachary construction that did the research on that.

Wasn't Zachary the aggy construction co that oversaw the bonfire building.

The elevator buttons that light up the wrong color…

There are 2 buttons in the elevator lobbies, the top (white) button would light up if you wanted to go up; the bottom button (red) if you wanted to go down.

They did a major elevator service a few years ago. Now on the first floor lobby, and I want to go up, the button lights up red.

Totally trivial but it bugs me to no end.

• Hook 'Em 2

Because without car dealerships, how would you---a savvy consumer and educated researcher---be able to understand the options packages available to you?  Who else will explain the service department platform?  How can you possibly understand the proprietary, in-house (read: predatory) lending/leasing options?  How else will you find out about exciting pinstripe color choices and after-market/DIO wheel options?  

They are thieves because it's a state-enabled cartel.  Once they got fucked when they lost much of the used car market, they doubled down on that worked for them.  Service dept, DIO's, and in-house financing.  The financing on used cars was even more fantastic for them, but it's washing up now.  Anyway, it's another industry that doesn't know it's dead.  We'll still buy cars obviously, we'll still get our cars fixed, but it'll be very different.  

Plus, the dirty little secret.  On those 10 acres of cars all collecting sun damage...who do you think is paying that overhead and the note service on all those cars?  Hint, it ain't Chuck Nash.  

I took my my son to look at a used jeep at a dealership.  The advertised price was $23,454.  We drove it yesterday and I said that I would get back to them.  I called him today and said we liked it and would like to make a deal.  He said to come in.  I told him to send me the numbers and I would come in when I was ready to sign.  He just now texted me and said the drive out would be $28k.  $23,454 plus 6.25 % tax plus $200 title fees should be $25,120.  I asked him what the rest was to get to 28k and he said reconditioning and fees.  I told him this is why I don't come in until I'm ready to sign.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

"Reconditioning Fees" ???  Did the salesman fuck his girlfriend in it over the weekend?  

It's comical to me the protection that industry gets from the government.  They have a good lobby but they don't understand they're only as good as their sales tax/property tax receipts.  Somebody is gonna ship direct to consumer and instead of paying property taxes on their non-existent access road dealership...they'll just send $500 straight to the county/state with every single fucking car.  Thousands of cars, day after day, without any of the urban blight, easiest tax collection the government ever made.  Because you'll know your inventory based on title/registration.  Most turn-key exchange of hundreds of millions each year in Texas history.  We'll still fuck it up, but it's gonna happen within the next ten years.  The used car cartel already crumbled.  Financing is next.  Dealerships last to go only because we can only turn so many dealership lots into homeless encampments at a time.

41 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I took my my son to look at a used jeep at a dealership.  The advertised price was $23,454.  We drove it yesterday and I said that I would get back to them.  I called him today and said we liked it and would like to make a deal.  He said to come in.  I told him to send me the numbers and I would come in when I was ready to sign.  He just now texted me and said the drive out would be $28k.  $23,454 plus 6.25 % tax plus $200 title fees should be $25,120.  I asked him what the rest was to get to 28k and he said reconditioning and fees.  I told him this is why I don't come in until I'm ready to sign.

The process of buying a car never changes.  Horrible industry.  4 squares time!!!

I know several car salesmen.  Most admit they're out to get as much as they can because "well you should've read the contract.  I mean do you negotiate the price of milk at the grocery store?"  

Edited by closetohumping

49 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

This, plus there is a difference between what I can afford versus what I am willing to pay. To me, for the most part, my truck is utilitarian. All of the features that they get excited about telling me about is great but certainly secondary and I let them know as such.

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

The process of buying a car never changes.  Horrible industry.  4 squares time!!!

I hate dealerships and I always use good independent mechanic shops.  I've probably bought my last 4 or 5 cars (teenagers/college kids) from CarMax and I couldn't have been happier.  You do the research on line.  Make an appointment to see the cars that you are interested in.  No pressure and they don't do any shell games on trade-in, price, and financing.  They treat it as the three separate transactions that they are.  Their trade-in appraisals are quite fair and not at all contingent on whether you buy a car from them.  They don't play the price-haggle game, but they did call me back about a car that we'd looked at that had a price-reduction (due to how long it had been in inventory) and we ended up buying it at the lower price.     

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I hate dealerships and I always use good independent mechanic shops.  I've probably bought my last 4 or 5 cars (teenagers/college kids) from CarMax and I couldn't have been happier.  You do the research on line.  Make an appointment to see the cars that you are interested in.  No pressure and they don't do any shell games on trade-in, price, and financing.  They treat it as the three separate transactions that they are.  Their trade-in appraisals are quite fair and not at all contingent on whether you buy a car from them.  They don't play the price-haggle game, but they did call me back about a car that we'd looked at that had a price-reduction (due to how long it had been in inventory) and we ended up buying it at the lower price.     

I have no complaints about Carmax or Texas Auto.  They've changed the buying experience.  Everyone else is always the four square, even when I tell them "I'm walking if you come out with the 4 square."

• Hook 'Em 1

I wrote out exactly what I wanted, set up a junk gmail account, and emailed as many dealers as I could within a 16hr drive. 

Asked for best price out door, excluding tax (since that gets paid separate to the DMV here.)

Played the email game, got to the lowest I could, gave everyone that was serious a final shot.

Ended up being the local dealer here. Walked in, checked it over, drove it, and filled out the paperwork. 

Easiest buying I’ve ever done. Took some leg work, but it worked. 

If you need something quick, pepper your angus. 

On 8/6/2021 at 8:24 AM, Moby Ric said:

Wasn't Zachary the aggy construction co that oversaw the bonfire building.

Zachry (not Zachary) provided a crane and crane operators.  They did not oversee construction of the bonfire construction.   Zachry is a pretty good organization that completes mammoth construction jobs.

Zachry, along with many others, were sued.  OSHA found Zachry did nothing wrong; however, Zachry (most likely on advice of legal counsel and their insurance carrier) did settle with some of the plaintiffs.  “Settling” with plaintiffs is an outcome that many insureds never have a say in and can be construed by some as an admission of liability when, in fact, it’s not.  

Bicycle fags.  This morning a group of them peddling down the road not in single file, just bunched in a group on a small road with no bike lane.  Fuckers were just backing up traffic and not giving any fucks about it.  Everyone was yelling or honking at them when they got a chance to pass.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

On 5/26/2021 at 7:18 AM, deadshank said:

Neighbors that refuse to pick up the trash in their yard or on the sidewalk in front of their house. 

My across the street neighbor had a half-full Sonic cup wrapped in shrink wrap (left by some delivery schmuck) on the sidewalk in front of his house for a week now. 

He has refused to pick it up as has his lawn service guy.  

Finally this morning I had enough and, when completing the morning walk of my trusted hounds, I picked up the danged thing and threw it away.  

Is the guy blind, stupid, lazy or apathetic?  All four?  

Amen to this.....but my situation differs a tiny bit.

My neighbor refuses to remove his trash carts from the street, most always.

I live in an unincorporated area of the county, so no enforcement of code compliance rules...however, everyone else on the street does the right thing and puts their carts up, like good humans do.

Plus, his yard looks like shit, and he mows with knee high rubber boots on.

I hope bad things happen to him, and his wife who doesn't seem to enforce any home rules.

• Rage+1 1

On 4/26/2021 at 1:54 PM, BonzoMontreaux said:

It's all about perspective...

Obviously, if I prefer my own fortress of solitude and TBH...  I still cringe about taking a crap in a bowling alley around 20 years ago(shudder).  But given your choices of crapping in 5 gallon bucket, or a toilet seat chair over a hole in the ground for all mother nature to see, or a porta-potty... that porta-potty is gonna be like taking a dump at the Ritz.  

Just saying.

Nope.  I’ll shit my draws on a first date before I shit in a port o potty

10 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Bicycle fags.  This morning a group of them peddling down the road not in single file, just bunched in a group on a small road with no bike lane.  Fuckers were just backing up traffic and not giving any fucks about it.  Everyone was yelling or honking at them when they got a chance to pass.

Artist Stephan Pastis goes after cyclists for smug attitude, pectoral  muscles

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Yeah, fuck that guy driver - if someone is on the other side of a median & headed towards you, I'm thinking you easily have the legal authority to drive around the corner & not wait 10 seconds for the pedestrian to be in any reasonable danger.

Even worse, pedestrian was on the other side of the street of a 6-8 lane road.  Took him a legit 15 seconds to cross.  

• Like 1

Depends on the pedestrian.  Relatively young, healthy looking dude, looks like he has a clue, make eye contact and go for it.  Little old lady, yeah, better to wait.  Theoretically you have more time to go, but let her go just out of courtesy to old folks.  Hot chick, let her pass, for all kinds of obvious reasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Depends on the pedestrian.  Relatively young, healthy looking dude, looks like he has a clue, make eye contact and go for it.  Little old lady, yeah, better to wait.  Theoretically you have more time to go, but let her go just out of courtesy to old folks.  Hot chick, let her pass, for all kinds of obvious reasons.

Same general calculus also applies to the apprehensive driver. Some people should be expected to quickly and safely go for it before the pedestrian gets close. Some shouldn't be expected to make a (relatively) tricky judgment call with a diminishing window of opportunity and a poor risk/reward ratio. 

Those people annoy me too, and I feel that it's way too easy to get (and keep, and retain) a drivers license in this country, but I can't get too pissed if it's just someone being careful.