Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

14 hours ago, shakahorn said:

Until Microsoft introduced auto-save, I would have agreed with you.  Now, if I open a file from two years ago, accidentally hit the space bar and then back space, or even ctrl-z, it will have today's date as the last modified date.

Yeah, this is a good point too and has happened to me.  My control for this is that I number each version in the name of the file.  That way, even if the date changes I can still see the order of the different versions.  I very rarely have to recreate or show the chronology of changes or the dates of changes to a file.  If I did, there would still be a way to do that in MS Office by using version history.  You can even restore a prior version with the original date.

1 hour ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I care if it's something I'm working on too or will need to refer to later.  I'm talking about files that are saved to a server and everyone has access to them. Files saved to your own drive are a different story - don't care about those.  It wouldn't be as bad if they didn't put the date in the beginning of the name.  If it's a sorting issue, you can always sort by date without having the date in the name of the file.

since the state of texas efiling system didn't just copy the federal one and put a docket number on everything, i put the date on the start of every filed document i get back.  in proper YYYY-MM-DD format.  if there's multiple things then i add a sequence number after the YMD.  sort by date doesn't work as a) i don't necessarily save things on the day they come in; b) don't necessarily save things in the order they come in.

8 minutes ago, elfenix said:

since the state of texas efiling system didn't just copy the federal one and put a docket number on everything, i put the date on the start of every filed document i get back.  in proper YYYY-MM-DD format.  if there's multiple things then i add a sequence number after the YMD.  sort by date doesn't work as a) i don't necessarily save things on the day they come in; b) don't necessarily save things in the order they come in.

I can see that, but if you do need to see the order something was filed, just go to the clerk's website and look at the docket. Plus, the names of filed documents will be different.  "Motion" followed by "Response" followed by "Reply," etc.  It should only really be a problem if you have a document with the exact same name, which would be fairly rare with court filings.  How often are documents with the exact same name filed on the same day or in succession?  I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I care if it's something I'm working on too or will need to refer to later.  I'm talking about files that are saved to a server and everyone has access to them. Files saved to your own drive are a different story - don't care about those.  It wouldn't be as bad if they didn't put the date in the beginning of the name.  If it's a sorting issue, you can always sort by date without having the date in the name of the file.

Shared files…motherfucking different story and you are on point.

I don’t understand how some of these people operate at all… Or ever find anything.

6 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I can see that, but if you do need to see the order something was filed, just go to the clerk's website and look at the docket. Plus, the names of filed documents will be different.  "Motion" followed by "Response" followed by "Reply," etc.  It should only really be a problem if you have a document with the exact same name, which would be fairly rare with court filings.  How often are documents with the exact same name filed on the same day or in succession?  I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

sequence is usually for exhibits. 

45 minutes ago, Sandman said:

The guy in front of me on the interstate decided to use his windshield washer and the mist/water droplets were blown all over my windshield. But just enough to make a smear, not enough to get fully wiped away. 

Not saying that this is necessarily what happened to you today, but if someone is being a left lane slow poke asshole shithead (or some other brand of idiot driver), I'll make sure to do that after I finally pass them. 

I go through a lot of wiper fluid. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Not saying that this is necessarily what happened to you today, but if someone is being a left lane slow poke asshole shithead (or some other brand of idiot driver), I'll make sure to do that after I finally pass them. 

I go through a lot of wiper fluid. 

Nah, we were in slow rush hour traffic, in the middle lane. 

I’m at a trampoline park with my kiddos, and since I’ve gotten here there’s been a dude sitting in one of those massage chairs that beeps endlessly if you don’t pay it…I’ve seen this behavior at Urban Air, CatchAir, and Pump It Up.  Like people who never replace batteries in their smoke detectors.  Drives me nuts.  

13 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I’m at a trampoline park with my kiddos, and since I’ve gotten here there’s been a dude sitting in one of those massage chairs that beeps endlessly if you don’t pay it…I’ve seen this behavior at Urban Air, CatchAir, and Pump It Up.  Like people who never replace batteries in their smoke detectors.  Drives me nuts.  

Either go put some money in and give him the stinkeye, or go stab him in the ear. 

• Haha 2

File naming convention is serious business.
I bet you don’t hang your shirts according to color and light to dark either. 
If you don't have a totally separate section for Longhorn shirts with long sleeve dedicated apart from short, I don't know if we will ever have a functional conversation.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

Go kick the chair.   

19 hours ago, Homercles said:

I’m not familiar with them, but are you saying the massage function still works if you don’t pay? It just beeps at you? That would seem like faulty design.

Also, why do the batteries in smoke detectors only fail in the middle of the night?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Delivery people who block the  screen door from opening with packages. Worse with food delivery. I feel like I need to add a “pull” sign on the door to give them an hint

That probably won't help. If a moron can't figure it out as-is, then having to connect the dots to understand why the "pull" should make a difference is likely also too cognitively complex. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Underdog said:

When watching a cooking show and they don't completely empty out the bowl of diced veggies, batter or whatever the fuck, always seems to be stragglers left in the bowls. 

Kevin Belton always uses all his veggies. He’ll even talk to them as he’s scraping out the stragglers. “Come on, get out of there.” The only time he doesn’t is when they’re green onions and he’s saving some for a garnish. Jacques Pépin is a wizard with a knife and dices all his vegetables as he needs them. Chop, chop, chop, chop, chop, chop, chop. Done. I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen him work with anything that was prepped in advance. 

What bugs me is when someone is scraping down the sides of the pot they’re cooking in but skips the side closest to them because they can’t see it and leaves unscraped goop sticking there. I realize they’re under pressure to perform and they have time constraints but I can see it and it’s annoying. 

On 8/27/2021 at 12:59 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Speaking of the work world, email chains where people constantly use Reply All on every message and and you get a pile of emails and only the first few pertain to you. And the last 10 are just 2 people talking back and forth. Hit the Reply button at that point, moron. 

I can't wait to get to my email tomorrow morning to see something that's gone out from Corporate to the entire firm about the hurricane, how we can help, and something about thoughts and prayers for those affected, followed by at least 45 reply-alls of "Amen" from around the world in several languages.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I can't wait to get to my email tomorrow morning to see something that's gone out from Corporate to the entire firm about the hurricane, how we can help, and something about thoughts and prayers for those affected, followed by at least 45 reply-alls of "Amen" from around the world in several languages.

Why do you want everyone in New Orleans to die?

Why is it always, 'Thoughts & Prayers'...I'm gonna start typing 'Prayers & Thoughts' 

Why is not socially acceptable to sign off on one of those email chains, "Or we could all log off and go donate blood because our local bank probably sent their supply to New Orleans, and they need to resupply.  But thoughts and prayers feels better, right?  Our COO, Karen, probably feels that productivity is hampered if we all take off for an hour to give blood, but this incessant email chain about who is praying the hardest is good for productivity?  Why is Karen like she is?"  

The fact that I just spent 5 minutes of my life extracting a half dozen pair of new socks from the plastic barbs used in packaging them. Actually, packaging in general pisses me off. I can't open a bottle of catsup or a vial of medicine without a blade knife and a pair of needle nose pliers. All because some dick head tried to extort Johnson and Johnson 40 years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

The fact that I just spent 5 minutes of my life extracting a half dozen pair of new socks from the plastic barbs used in packaging them. Actually, packaging in general pisses me off. I can't open a bottle of catsup or a vial of medicine without a blade knife and a pair of needle nose pliers. All because some dick head tried to extort Johnson and Johnson 40 years ago. 
Yeah that shit is the worse. I bought a lot of new socks, shirts, shorts, boxers a few weeks ago and I spent about 30 minutes taking apart all of the tags and packaging for everything.

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Why is it always, 'Thoughts & Prayers'...I'm gonna start typing 'Prayers & Thoughts' 

Why is not socially acceptable to sign off on one of those email chains, "Or we could all log off and go donate blood because our local bank probably sent their supply to New Orleans, and they need to resupply.  But thoughts and prayers feels better, right?  Our COO, Karen, probably feels that productivity is hampered if we all take off for an hour to give blood, but this incessant email chain about who is praying the hardest is good for productivity?  Why is Karen like she is?"  

I always use “thought about Praying”

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

I always want to just reply, especially when I lived in the Houston area and had weathered more than a handfull of hurricanes; " Thanks motherfuckers for the unsolicited advice.  I would not have known what to do without your telegram to the whole team.

It's so, "Just checking the box," while also being massively insulting to those actually living through whatever the issue might be.

When I find a rare t-shirt design that I actually like, only to find the design is on the back. I hate the big back design with nothing or a tiny thing on the front. Lately Academy is pushing either cool back design shirts, or stupid, embarrassing dumbass phrases that ruin otherwise decent designs on their front design shirts. They used to make some really nice stuff at a good price, now it's all redneck depot.

I'm running out of stuff to wear.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DougO said:

When I find a rare t-shirt design that I actually like, only to find the design is on the back. I hate the big back design with nothing or a tiny thing on the front. Lately Academy is pushing either cool back design shirts, or stupid, embarrassing dumbass phrases that ruin otherwise decent designs on their front design shirts. They used to make some really nice stuff at a good price, now it's all redneck depot.

I'm running out of stuff to wear.

See, I don't like big designs on the front.  I'll pass on a shirt I might have bought if the design was on the back, with a few exceptions, that's been my rule of thumb.

I think I have about 200 or so T shirts.  Lately I've been buying 2, if I really dig the design.

7 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

Try buying Gold Toe socks. One snip to separate them from the wrapper, one to separate them from each other. Two bunches of four. Eight pairs, probably less than eight seconds. 

On 8/25/2021 at 5:56 PM, Paper_jam said:

Is there a shortage of low-end beer in glass bottles? In particular, my go-to trash beer is Bud Ice, and my nearest HEB and convenience stores are always out of stock of the 12 oz. bottles now.

Edit: apparently there is a shortage of bottles. Jesus it's like the whole world is falling apart

https://beernet.com/bottles-a-major-sticking-point-for-a-b-this-summer/

I prefer beer in a can anyway. But Bud Ice? Good Lord, man. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

See, I don't like big designs on the front.  I'll pass on a shirt I might have bought if the design was on the back, with a few exceptions, that's been my rule of thumb.

I think I have about 200 or so T shirts.  Lately I've been buying 2, if I really dig the design.

I have also bought two if I really like one I find. It's just been rare that I find anything I like these days. The newer super thin t-shirt material they use on a lot of shirts these days always feels wet and clingy is really annoying.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, DougO said:

I have also bought two if I really like one I find. It's just been rare that I find anything I like these days. The newer super thin t-shirt material they use on a lot of shirts these days always feels wet and clingy is really annoying.

Definitely, I like a Hanes beefy T or better in thickness.  Old school, heavy, cotton.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Definitely, I like a Hanes beefy T or better in thickness.  Old school, heavy, cotton.

I refuse to buy anything that feels like it was made in a humid sweatshop.   Those nasty, cheap heavy cotton tees feel as uncomfortable as the Laotian factory they were made in.   

• Hook 'Em 1