Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

On 7/31/2021 at 11:30 PM, Moby Ric said:

Ok. This is the things that annoy me thread. Another thing that annoys me is the Dead, they are a hippie wash out band that sucks.

I'm going to ignore my initial desire to neg every single post you've ever made as a result of the most egregiously wrong post ever made on the internet.  I'm not even going to belittle the ability to play a show the exact same way every single time rather than making an effort to play a song differently every single time and to draw from a catalog of over 200 songs.  Just know that this was the worst post in the history of the internet and sleep well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Same general calculus also applies to the apprehensive driver. Some people should be expected to quickly and safely go for it before the pedestrian gets close. Some shouldn't be expected to make a (relatively) tricky judgment call with a diminishing window of opportunity and a poor risk/reward ratio. 

Those people annoy me too, and I feel that it's way too easy to get (and keep, and retain) a drivers license in this country, but I can't get too pissed if it's just someone being careful. 

This.  I am considering running for public office, probably president of the USA, so that I can sign some Executive Orders.  The first EO being one that you have to take an annual driving test to keep your Driver's License.  And it will not be one of these test where you have to identify road signs and petty stuff like that.  It will be an actual driving test where you will be put into multiple situations and you must navigate correctly.  It will require you to actually break the speed limit from time to time when passing, you must stay out of the left hand lane unless you are in the flow of traffic.  It will require situational awareness that if you are holding up traffic you must pull out of the way or run the risk of the roving Mad Max vehicle that will  move you out of the way.  No cars shall have auto-braking systems activated until EVERY car has that feature. Reflex/reaction test. I could go on but you get the idea.

I just went on a ~5000 mile road trip from Texas to NC, then back to Kentucky, then up to Vermont, down to Pennsylvania, back to NC and then finally back to Texas.  So many people should not be driving.

Edited by mininghorn88
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

This.  I am considering running for public office, probably president of the USA, so that I can sign some Executive Orders.  The first EO being one that you have to take an annual driving test to keep your Driver's License.  And it will not be one of these test where you have to identify road signs and petty stuff like that.  It will be an actual driving test where you will be put into multiple situations and you must navigate correctly.  It will require you to actually break the speed limit from time to time when passing, you must stay out of the left hand lane unless you are in the flow of traffic.  It will require situational awareness that if you are holding up traffic you must pull out of the way or run the risk of the roving Mad Max vehicle that will  move you out of the way.  No cars shall have auto-braking systems activated until EVERY car has that feature. Reflex/reaction test. I could go on but you get the idea.

I just went on a ~5000 mile road trip from Texas to NC, then back to Kentucky, then up to Vermont, down to Pennsylvania, back to NC and then finally back to Texas.  So many people should not be driving.

My late FIL had macular degeneration. One eye was functionally blind, and he couldn’t see much out of the other. The DMV folks had no problem renewing his license. My wife accompanied him on his subsequent visit to the ophthalmologist. She asked if he should be driving. Doc said no, but that there were lots of people worse than him on the roads. He saw it every day. 
I’m all for the auto-drive features like lane keep assist, etc., because I know how horrible at least 60% of the drivers out there are. 

Nice humblebrag.  I thought it was still a thing with the TX Assoc. of Auto Dealers lobby.  Where you still had to pickup your Tesla in another state.  Or is the deal now you can get it delivered here, they just can't have showrooms or something like that?  I dunno, we did a deep dive into the dealership cartel a few years back and it was much more confiscatory.  Probably eased up a bit since then. This was when some boutique electric car brands were trying to break into Texas like Byton, Fisker, Faraday, et. al. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Nice humblebrag.  I thought it was still a thing with the TX Assoc. of Auto Dealers lobby.  Where you still had to pickup your Tesla in another state.  Or is the deal now you can get it delivered here, they just can't have showrooms or something like that?  I dunno, we did a deep dive into the dealership cartel a few years back and it was much more confiscatory.  Probably eased up a bit since then. This was when some boutique electric car brands were trying to break into Texas like Byton, Fisker, Faraday, et. al. 

My understanding was that to sell in TX you had to have a have a physical presence/showroom vs. 100% online.  That's why you saw Tesla initially open storefronts in places like the domain with maybe 1 or 2 cars.  

At a decent or upscale restaurant and when you a order a drink (be it booze, beer, wine, iced tea, water, whatever) and the waiter / waitress comes back to the table with your quaff in their greasy paw. 

Have some class and put the drink on a serving tray (doesn’t have to be fancy) and then serve the drink to the customer instead of just handing someone a drink.  This isn’t the ballpark or frat party. 

At a decent or upscale restaurant and when you a order a drink (be it booze, beer, wine, iced tea, water, whatever) and the waiter / waitress comes back to the table with your quaff in their greasy paw. 

Have some class and put the drink on a serving tray (doesn’t have to be fancy) and then serve the drink to the customer instead of just handing someone a drink.  This isn’t the ballpark or frat party. 
eeee502ed142f72c4f4b96e0e3cf386b.gif

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

So when I actively go out to fuck with the wasps living in my roof they don’t do shit to me.  But I’ve been stung 3 times in the last week when I just go outside for something else.  

Potentially a difference in pheromones? You go out on a mission of death with a can of RAID in your hand, and you give off a completely different scent/vibe than walking out the door to run to the store, etc. 

See it with other animals and such, and there have been studies that suggest plants (at least some species) also have some type/level of sensing pheromones as well. 

Kind of a crazy rabbit hole to go down, but can also be interesting reading.

7 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Potentially a difference in pheromones? You go out on a mission of death with a can of RAID in your hand, and you give off a completely different scent/vibe than walking out the door to run to the store, etc. 

See it with other animals and such, and there have been studies that suggest plants (at least some species) also have some type/level of sensing pheromones as well. 

Kind of a crazy rabbit hole to go down, but can also be interesting reading.

Not sure about pheromones, but when i go out with the poison spray I open the door slowly and tip toe out because I don’t want to scare them away so i can spray them.  When I’m just going out for whatever I swing the door open and walk out like a boss.  

1 minute ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Not sure about pheromones, but when i go out with the poison spray I open the door slowly and tip toe out because I don’t want to scare them away so i can spray them.  When I’m just going out for whatever I swing the door open and walk out like a boss.  

That’s all part of it for sure. Combine that with bossing out the door, and there you go. 

Every couple of years some paper wasps try to build a big nest in a corner about 10ft to the left of the front door. (Cuts to the left 10ft, then that wall turns and comes forward 10ft, then turns back left.)

Before moving here, living where I was last stationed I had a little place just out in the sticks. Had all fucking kinds of wasps/hornets/bees. There was a batch of them that made a cross post a home. Bright fire engine red, and mean as hell. Had to get a pro for those. 

Those were the worst I’ve encountered. Others were general mud dobber types, mostly leave you alone unless you stir them up.

Mostly a pain in the ass just to keep the mud nests down. Those fucking things would be everywhere. Some were like blobs of mud, others were like intricate tubes. 

Saw lots of bees. Even spotted a killer bee once. (That one didn’t survive, fuck killer bees.)

Not a stinging insect, but also used to have an overly large garden spider that made a home outside the shed/pump house. Was pretty neat. 

4 hours ago, deadshank said:

Reminds me of a joke...  A customer orders the soup. When the waiter brings it, the customer notices the waiter had his thumb in the soup.

Customer: "Excuse me, your thumb was in my soup".

Waiter: "It's okay, it wasn't that hot."

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

That’s all part of it for sure. Combine that with bossing out the door, and there you go. 

Every couple of years some paper wasps try to build a big nest in a corner about 10ft to the left of the front door. (Cuts to the left 10ft, then that wall turns and comes forward 10ft, then turns back left.)

Before moving here, living where I was last stationed I had a little place just out in the sticks. Had all fucking kinds of wasps/hornets/bees. There was a batch of them that made a cross post a home. Bright fire engine red, and mean as hell. Had to get a pro for those. 

Those were the worst I’ve encountered. Others were general mud dobber types, mostly leave you alone unless you stir them up.

Mostly a pain in the ass just to keep the mud nests down. Those fucking things would be everywhere. Some were like blobs of mud, others were like intricate tubes. 

Saw lots of bees. Even spotted a killer bee once. (That one didn’t survive, fuck killer bees.)

Not a stinging insect, but also used to have an overly large garden spider that made a home outside the shed/pump house. Was pretty neat. 

Staple a little packet of moth balls in gauze wherever the mud dauber like to make their nests. They’ll stay away. 

35 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Talk about mean…..shooting a hive of Africanized bees is not the thing to do. I had to call out the pros on this one after 20-gauge bird shot didn’t do the trick.

I asked them how much a removal would cost   They said $225.   I retorted that doesn’t seem like much money to drive WAY out in the brush and take apart a really big hive.  They said they’ve seen big ones before.  I emailed this video to the girl on the phone while we were talking.

Suddenly I heard “Henry, you need to see this one!!!”

Henry raised the price to $250.  

Two days later it was gone.  Tech said it weighed about 175 lbs and had about 20-30K bees in it.   

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, nnm said:

Staple a little packet of moth balls in gauze wherever the mud dauber like to make their nests. They’ll stay away. 

Wish I’d have known that back then. 

I did use moth crystals every 2 months around the foundation of the house and shed. Old man plumber I met when first moving there said to do that for scorpions. Worked well, and I would know if I was late getting it out. 

Spastic ass motherfuckers on the freeway whose brake lights are constantly pulsing. 

Theyre not necessarily tailgating someone either - they simply dont know how to keep in the flow with the rest of traffic - and it creates accordian anxiety for all the cars behind. 

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 4

On 8/11/2021 at 1:24 PM, Underdog said:

Perhaps not trivial but that jolting ass weather/emergency alert you get on TV every so often during impending storms and shit...  GD, tone that shit down some, will ya? 

Change the channel then change it back. 

Report back after your mind is blown.

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Spastic ass motherfuckers on the freeway whose brake lights are constantly pulsing. 

Theyre not necessarily tailgating someone either - they simply dont know how to keep in the flow with the rest of traffic - and it creates accordian anxiety for all the cars behind. 

This right here. I mentioned in a different post about auto-braking systems on vehicles. I think that is part of the problem too.

• Rage+1 1

On 8/8/2021 at 10:55 AM, Moby Ric said:

Bicycle fags.  This morning a group of them peddling down the road not in single file, just bunched in a group on a small road with no bike lane.  Fuckers were just backing up traffic and not giving any fucks about it.  Everyone was yelling or honking at them when they got a chance to pass.

The 80’s called. They want their gay slur back.

A funny moment with a British colleague happened about 10 years ago. We were in all-day negotiations in Anchorage, and my colleague needed a break. He said “I’m going downstairs to catch a fag.”  

I said “OK, more information than I needed. Have fun.”

He did. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’d ask you not to be a homophobe. But I can only open the door, I can’t make you walk through it.

Typical response from a poster like you.  I will let the good folks from South Park explain it, and then put you on my ignore list.  Feel free to drop some acid, listen to some shitty music and put me on yours.

• Like 1

My kid transferred to a new college (wife's alma mater, so I'm doubly supportive) and I had my eye on this particular t-shirt in the bookstore, but it's always sold out in my size. We were back on  campus this weekend and I checked again and I saw it folded in the stack in the little shirt-cube thing. The sticker had the correct size, the tag inside the collar was correct as well. I bought it, but when I got home and unfolded it, I discovered that it was long sleeve. Motherfucker. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sandman said:

My kid transferred to a new college (wife's alma mater, so I'm doubly supportive) and I had my eye on this particular t-shirt in the bookstore, but it's always sold out in my size. We were back on  campus this weekend and I checked again and I saw it folded in the stack in the little shirt-cube thing. The sticker had the correct size, the tag inside the collar was correct as well. I bought it, but when I got home and unfolded it, I discovered that it was long sleeve. Motherfucker. 

71LVbVMb8gL._AC_SS450_.jpg

7 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

spacer.png

This is the way to go.

That shit just bothers them.  Wait until midday when sun is highest in the sky.  Take a pruning saw and wreck the shit out of the nest.  Most will be gone, eggs will fall and die, you can evade the 1 or 2 adults left behind.  Wait a few minutes to clear the scene.  Then go back and douse the shit out of it with a high pressure hose nozzle.  When you spray that shit, it will kill a handful of them but they drop down and give off a scent that others nearby can pick up on.  They'll either come for you or be encouraged to take over the existing nest.  That thing kills wasps and hornets, it doesn't dissuade new tenants.  

14 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Typical response from a poster like you.  I will let the good folks from South Park explain it, and then put you on my ignore list.  Feel free to drop some acid, listen to some shitty music and put me on yours.

It’s 2021 and you’re defending calling people you don’t like “fags.” I’m embarrassed for you.

Lulz. It’s ironic that you’re the person getting spoofed in that South Park clip and you don’t even know it. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

That shit just bothers them.  Wait until midday when sun is highest in the sky.  Take a pruning saw and wreck the shit out of the nest.  Most will be gone, eggs will fall and die, you can evade the 1 or 2 adults left behind.  Wait a few minutes to clear the scene.  Then go back and douse the shit out of it with a high pressure hose nozzle.  When you spray that shit, it will kill a handful of them but they drop down and give off a scent that others nearby can pick up on.  They'll either come for you or be encouraged to take over the existing nest.  That thing kills wasps and hornets, it doesn't dissuade new tenants.  

You sound like you have never used it.

I had a nest on my front porch as big as a softball full of eggs and probably 200 wasps on Sunday.

From about 20 feet I sprayed that foam and it completely covered the nest and sorrounding area. Not one wasp flew from it and they were all dead and on the ground 20 minutes later.

I've used it, it kills 'em dead.  For sure.  but it also invites others back to continue rebuilding efforts.  Wasps, at least in my yard near a large creekbed, seem to behave Haitian contractors.  They just keep coming back and building the same shit over and over again, despite Mother Nature screaming "STOP!"  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

I've used it, it kills 'em dead.  For sure.  but it also invites others back to continue rebuilding efforts.  Wasps, at least in my yard near a large creekbed, seem to behave Haitian contractors.  They just keep coming back and building the same shit over and over again, despite Mother Nature screaming "STOP!"  

Staple a little gauze bag full of mothballs to the place where the nest used to be. They won’t rebuild. Problem solved. You’re welcome. 

1 hour ago, nnm said:

Staple a little gauze bag full of mothballs to the place where the nest used to be. They won’t rebuild. Problem solved. You’re welcome. 

I've tried that with other "nesting" insects and it works well.  doesn't seem to work for our Wasp visitors, they just build slightly above it (or attempt to, anyway).  They try the same half dozen eave under-hangs every time.  The natural gardener down the street talked about dousing the mothballs in some various scents/oils but haven't tried that yet.  They really haven't been that bad this summer. 

Instead they seemed to have tagged out with the housefly and the tree roach for most annoying pest.  Despite the moisture, my all-natural garlic spray has kept the mosquito problem at bay.  Actually, my neighbor deserves most of the credit for finally removing his bamboo tree abortion that was just a breeding ground for the fuckers in our backyards.  I'm dropping more boric acid around the house than a Russian hippie to combat the roach problem.  

Everything else in the backyard seems to have leveled off and find ecological equilibrium.  We had an abundance of rats coming out of the construction project nextdoor which led to snakes which led to hawks.  But everybody seems to have eaten up and moved on.  Just squirrels and blue jays back there nowadays.  And the lizards are making their return but the kids love 'em so I let 'em hang out even if they shit all over the outdoor furniture.  

41 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I've tried that with other "nesting" insects and it works well.  doesn't seem to work for our Wasp visitors, they just build slightly above it (or attempt to, anyway).  They try the same half dozen eave under-hangs every time.  The natural gardener down the street talked about dousing the mothballs in some various scents/oils but haven't tried that yet.  They really haven't been that bad this summer. 

Instead they seemed to have tagged out with the housefly and the tree roach for most annoying pest.  Despite the moisture, my all-natural garlic spray has kept the mosquito problem at bay.  Actually, my neighbor deserves most of the credit for finally removing his bamboo tree abortion that was just a breeding ground for the fuckers in our backyards.  I'm dropping more boric acid around the house than a Russian hippie to combat the roach problem.  

Everything else in the backyard seems to have leveled off and find ecological equilibrium.  We had an abundance of rats coming out of the construction project nextdoor which led to snakes which led to hawks.  But everybody seems to have eaten up and moved on.  Just squirrels and blue jays back there nowadays.  And the lizards are making their return but the kids love 'em so I let 'em hang out even if they shit all over the outdoor furniture.  

Great stuff. I need a link to your garlic spray product for mosquitos. They’re horrific at our lake house in ETX, where we’ve now moved to full time. 

For the roaches, try Diatomaceous Earth powder. Works well for us. Sprinkle it all around their habitat and where you see them. You can get it online or in any of the gardening stores. 

27 minutes ago, nnm said:

Great stuff. I need a link to your garlic spray product for mosquitos. They’re horrific at our lake house in ETX, where we’ve now moved to full time. 

For the roaches, try Diatomaceous Earth powder. Works well for us. Sprinkle it all around their habitat and where you see them. You can get it online or in any of the gardening stores. 

I've tried that earth powder over the years.  It works well for the exterior of the home in points of vulnerability.  And then on the inside, as a said, in active areas...I go boric acid.  Neither are terribly harmful to kids and pets.  I mean if somebody were to snort a whole bag, but usually it's a nothing-burger.  

For the natural approach to mosquito abatement:  https://www.northlineexpress.com/garlic-barrier-insect-repellant-gallon.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvO2IBhCzARIsALw3ASrvm_LXHE0wDw8dVuf98x6jNY2HoX_FvubO8cCP-FYmUYeWBjJdgLIaAimzEALw_wcB   Not sure what the ecosystem is around your lake house.  But if it's in east Texas, probably pretty balmy with some stagnant water behind you from the shore.  SO obviously keep low hanging trees and bushes trimmed.  This stuff says to go 4 ounces for every gallon.  I would recommend treating once a week with that ratio from April through September.  After particularly heavy rains, I might go 8 ounces for every gallon.  I douse anything from my 6' eye level and on down.  1 gallon of my little handpump yard deal covers my half-acre spraying liberally.  It's also completely natural.  The kids don't like the way it smells at first but they're out there playing an hour after application (spray around 10am or 8pm and when it's not gonna rain for a day or two).  I once poured it into a measuring cup before mixing it my yard sprayer and the neighbor dog started lapping it up while I was getting gloves.  He still seems fine.  The shit ain't cheap but 2 of 'em should last you the whole season no problem (unless you have a massive yard which you might, I dunno).   

All my other neighbors pay monthly fees to those heavy chemical companies.  I do it myself, it's much less harmful to the flora and fauna, and it's literally as effective.  Because I've noticed that my neighbors who use those companies tend to also neglect all the other shit in their yards that breed mosquitoes thinking the chemicals will take care of it.  So all in all, I think I probably have same or fewer mosquitoes than they do in the end.  And it's safer, cleaner, and cheaper.  /rant  

Plus I just like the hunt of figuring out where things are coming in from (roaches, mosquitoes, mice, et. al.) and then murdering them in front of their families as a reminder.