Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

On 7/8/2021 at 2:41 PM, Superhero said:

People throwing away trash along a hiking trail.

Coworkers and I hiked up to the Hollywood sign. We did some voluntary community service by picking up trash. We filled 2 trash bags before we got back down to the parking lot. 

Most of the stuff we picked up were water bottles, candy wrappers, facemasks... But we also found a pair of panties. We didn't pick that one up.

FB putting a "warning- might be offensive" warning on a video of...

wait for it.

succulent moist brisket.  On a page belonging to a purveyor of smoked meats.

Are you fucking kidding me?

FB putting a "warning- might be offensive" warning on a video of...
wait for it.

succulent moist brisket.  On a page belonging to a purveyor of smoked meats.
Are you fucking kidding me?
You didn't know that warm vagina butter needs a warning label

On 7/9/2021 at 6:20 AM, Underdog said:

It should be legal to shoot litterers.  

Was fixing to post this. At SPI this week. I think if a gotdamn cigarette butt falls out of your mouth/hand on the beach, yeah— one to the head right there. Shooter gets to swim your dead ass out past the third bar for sharks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

any video that starts off with "Reacting to..."

why the fuck do i care how you react to shit?

To piggy back onto this, any video of someone sitting in a car filmed on selfie mode.  Whatever you're going to rant about, I don't fucking care, and I immediately judge the person who's responsible for your stupidity entering my orbit.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

People who drive under the speed limit on 2 lane roads in good weather are getting their own special place in hell.

Also, truckers that try to pass other trucks that are governed at the same speed on the interstate, thus completely blocking traffic for 20 miles at a time.  Fuck those guys.  If you've ever driven I-80 across Iowa, you spent 75% of your time going 5 under the speed limit because a truck governed at 65.3 MPH was trying to pass a truck governed at 65.299999 MPH.

It's weird how many people will pay the toll to take 130 around Austin, where the speed limit is 80, and putter along at 60 or 65. 

Another thing I noticed when I took 130 last week is a lot of people don't realize the rubber on tires dries out after about five years. Apparently 80 mph is the speed where those treads separate from the rest of the tires. Probably about four tire treads per mile laying in the road. 

On 7/9/2021 at 9:06 PM, mininghorn88 said:

I’ve come across cigarette butts on many trails even at “altitude”.  I am huffing and puffing my way to the summit with my gear and someone has the extra lung capacity for a smoke?!!

Can't remember where we were in Colorado, but did a day hike at something like 13,000 - after felling like I was going to suffocate while watching 8 year girls pass me was when I decided it was time to quit smoking... 

Took a few years, but other than an occasional smoke when I'm drunk, it's been about 5 years now

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Took a few years, but other than an occasional smoke when I'm drunk, it's been about 5 years now

I couldn’t do that. I’m sure that if I had a cigarette while drunk or in any other state then I’d be back to a pack a day within a week. I smoked my last cigarette on 8/31/14. I still have the occasional dream where I forget that I’ve quit and have a cigarette or several and then think, “Oh shit!” It’s kind of like the dream you have where you’re back in school and it’s time to take the final but you haven’t been to class and aren’t even sure where they’re giving the test. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I couldn’t do that. I’m sure that if I had a cigarette while drunk or in any other state then I’d be back to a pack a day within a week. I smoked my last cigarette on 8/31/14. I still have the occasional dream where I forget that I’ve quit and have a cigarette or several and then think, “Oh shit!” It’s kind of like the dream you have where you’re back in school and it’s time to take the final but you haven’t been to class and aren’t even sure where they’re giving the test. 

Same on all counts except for the date - 6/9/08. Have it written on the last pack of my last carton and thrown in the back of the freezer in case of emergencies.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That's why it took my 5 years to really quit, probably. My dad came over for opening day of baseball in April. Had one of his and damn near threw up. 

I think it also helps for the that there are so many bars and restaurants that are non smoking that I'm just not really around it anymore. Other than my dad, I can't think of anyone I'm around who still smokes. And the couple of bars I go to regularly may have one or two people on the patio smoking, but even that is getting pretty rare.

12 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

That's why it took my 5 years to really quit, probably. My dad came over for opening day of baseball in April. Had one of his and damn near threw up. 

I think it also helps for the that there are so many bars and restaurants that are non smoking that I'm just not really around it anymore. Other than my dad, I can't think of anyone I'm around who still smokes. And the couple of bars I go to regularly may have one or two people on the patio smoking, but even that is getting pretty rare.

Big time factor.  I was against any mandatory non smoking ordinance but it possibly saved my life.  I was a pack a day guy.

I quit cold turkey 8 years ago.  Had a temporary relapse when I was around a smoker at work for about 4 months.  I can't see me ever smoking again, but if I were on the road, alone in a bar, yeah, maybe.

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My grandma was a 2 pack a day smoker and drank Dr Pepper like it was going out of style.  She quit smoking cold turkey when she was in her mid 50's passed away at the age of 85.  Dr. Pepper, however, was a mainstay in her pantry until she passed.

I remember moving her and my grandpa out of their house and taking things off the wall and seeing what nicotine had done to the place.  I dug me some Devil's lettuce in my time but seeing that deterred me from making smoking a part of my everyday life.  

15 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yes, I had that dream multiple times for years after I graduated from Texas.  I also had the dream a few times where I thought that I had dropped a class only to get my grades at the end of the semester to find out that I had not dropped the class.

1 hour ago, mininghorn88 said:

Yes, I had that dream multiple times for years after I graduated from Texas.  I also had the dream a few times where I thought that I had dropped a class only to get my grades at the end of the semester to find out that I had not dropped the class.

Same thing. I have a dream where towards the end of the semester I start getting emails about finals for classes I didn't know I was enrolled in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BearMace said:

Same thing. I have a dream where towards the end of the semester I start getting emails about finals for classes I didn't know I was enrolled in. 

Yep, I’ve had that one several hundred times in the 18 years since graduation. 

My variation on that dream is getting notified of the final, realizing that I haven't attended in months, and that regardless of my final performance, I'm getting an F.

College dreams are common for me.  The other one is that I'm going back to college, living in the dorms, meet a really cute coed, and all of a sudden my wife shows up.  Prior to that in the dream, dream me legitimately thought he was single.

i really think all my dreams are some riff on "Al fucks up, life destruction ensues".

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My variation on that dream is getting notified of the final, realizing that I haven't attended in months, and that regardless of my final performance, I'm getting an F.

College dreams are common for me.  The other one is that I'm going back to college, living in the dorms, meet a really cute coed, and all of a sudden my wife shows up.  Prior to that in the dream, dream me legitimately thought he was single.

i really think all my dreams are some riff on "Al fucks up, life destruction ensues".

"Iowa Man Arrested for Choking Wife in Bed: "I was asleep, I swear...and she kept cockblocking me," Suspect says as he's led to jail"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

I thought that I had dropped a class only to get my grades at the end of the semester to find out that I had not dropped the class.

This actually happened to a kid in my class. No idea what became of it, he probably still had a GPA higher than mine.

On 7/13/2021 at 8:22 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

My last was on January 6. This year. I’ve had that dream once already. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My last was on January 6. This year. I’ve had that dream once already. 

Stay strong. I quit numerous times over the course of my cigarette smoking career. I found that to start with it went in three month cycles between really harsh cravings. I’d quit for a year or two then, thinking I had it licked, figured it would be okay to bum a smoke off of a friend. Then I’d bum another one. Then another. Then, not wanting to be a mooch, I’d just buy a pack. Then I was back to smoking cigarettes again. The last time I quit, my dad passed away a week later and that changed my whole perspective. He died from heart failure. He was a doctor and referred to cigarettes as “the brown plague” and never knew I smoked. But after he passed I just sort of felt like I’m too old for this shit.

Now I smoke maybe two or three cigars a month. That gives me a taste of tobacco and that probably helps keep me away from cigarettes. But there’s not enough nicotine to trigger the addiction. And I’m more likely not to smoke a cigar even when I want to because it requires a two hour block of free time. I was kind of hoping to smoke one on Sunday but couldn’t find the time and never got around to it. But cigars seem like a more honest way of consuming tobacco and make you realize just how insidious cigarettes are as a nicotine delivery system.

What I miss the most about smoking cigarettes is that it gave me a reason to step out the front door every evening/night. I got to know my neighbors better. I was more in tune with the local wildlife. And I followed the movements of the moon and the stars and the planets more closely. Standing in the same spot every night really helps in that regard. I don’t do that anymore. 

On 7/8/2021 at 3:54 PM, conVINCEd said:

I feel like every fast food restaurant should subcontract out the operation of their drive thru to Chick Fil-A.

I often am amazed at how busy CFA is always only to be reminded about all their overhead/staff.  I often wonder what their margin is compared to a McDonald's.  

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What I miss the most about smoking cigarettes is that it gave me a reason to step out the front door every evening/night. I got to know my neighbors better. I was more in tune with the local wildlife. And I followed the movements of the moon and the stars and the planets more closely. Standing in the same spot every night really helps in that regard. I don’t do that anymore. 

Try and be less gay.

• Hook 'Em 1

People who set an early morning in person meeting, then change it to 1:30pm about 10 minutes before it is supposed to start. I only got into the office about 30 minutes earlier, but having to wake up 30 minutes earlier is going to fuck up my whole day

• Like 3

13 hours ago, RollLeft said:

I often am amazed at how busy CFA is always only to be reminded about all their overhead/staff.  I often wonder what their margin is compared to a McDonald's.  

Considering they are cycling 3-5x what McDonald's can move in an hour's time, I bet they don't fucking care.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 10:03 AM, JSB said:

People who set an early morning in person meeting, then change it to 1:30pm about 10 minutes before it is supposed to start. I only got into the office about 30 minutes earlier, but having to wake up 30 minutes earlier is going to fuck up my whole day

See, that rescheduled meeting for later ?..... it wouldn't be happening.

Move if to 1:30 You say ? I'm sorry I already have a meeting scheduled then. 

On 7/15/2021 at 9:03 AM, JSB said:

49 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

See, that rescheduled meeting for later ?..... it wouldn't be happening.

Move if to 1:30 You say ? I'm sorry I already have a meeting scheduled then. 

There are four stages of attitude towards meetings, depending on where you are in your career. 

1. Why aren't I important enough to be invited to the meeting? 

2. Oh boy! I get to go to the meeting!

3. I would commit a felony to get out of this meeting. 

4. I'm the one calling the meeting. 

I'm currently in stage 3/4. 

Edited by Richard Kimball
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

There are four stages of attitude towards meetings, depending on where you are in your career. 

1. Why aren't I important enough to be invited to the meeting? 

2. Oh boy! I getting to go to the meeting!

3. I would commit a felony to get out of this meeting. 

4. I'm the one calling the meeting. 

I'm currently in stage 3/4. 

I am typically Stage 3/4, but this particular meeting was with the Board of our Parent Company, so I couldn't quite tell them to fuck off just yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Streaming devices (like Roku) that have a terrible interface when it comes to precise forward/back control of the video. The Roku app for Youtube won't let me do anything but jump forward or back in 10-second chunks. Even on a good 1980s VCR, or a late-90s DVD player, you'd be able to rewind or advance to exactly the position you want, go frame-by-frame in slow motion, etc. Can't do anything like that on this Roku.

Also: fuck you DirecTV for this "feature" on my DVR that auto-rewinds ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE BEGINNING if I touch the back arrow when I start playing back a recording. Usually, when I start playing back something that I stopped in the middle of, especially a sporting event, I instinctively want to rewind a few seconds to orient myself with the context of things. But, if I do that the DVR  jumps back like 3 hours to the beginning of the recording and it takes FOREVER to advance back to where I was. 

Which reminds me:  why the fuck don't they have a way to let you make large jumps FORWARD in time on a recording or streaming video?  Like some combination where if you press "FFWD" and "3" it jumps right to 3 hours?  Just as an example.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

12 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Streaming devices (like Roku) that have a terrible interface when it comes to precise forward/back control of the video. The Roku app for Youtube won't let me do anything but jump forward or back in 10-second chunks. Even on a good 1980s VCR, or a late-90s DVD player, you'd be able to rewind or advance to exactly the position you want, go frame-by-frame in slow motion, etc. Can't do anything like that on this Roku.

Also: fuck you DirecTV for this "feature" on my DVR that auto-rewinds ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE BEGINNING if I touch the back arrow when I start playing back a recording. Usually, when I start playing back something that I stopped in the middle of, especially a sporting event, I instinctively want to rewind a few seconds to orient myself with the context of things. But, if I do that the DVR  jumps back like 3 hours to the beginning of the recording and it takes FOREVER to advance back to where I was. 

Which reminds me:  why the fuck don't they have a way to let you make large jumps FORWARD in time on a recording or streaming video?  Like some combination where if you press "FFWD" and "3" it jumps right to 3 hours?  Just as an example.

We have firesticks on our tvs. And everyday I'm constantly at how bad the phone app is for them. 

1 hour ago, Paper_jam said:

Yeah, on Youtube tv, it takes an act of congress to get back to the original channel you were watching. 

• Like 1