Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

6 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

When my younger brother was finally old enough to mow, he intentionally screwed it up and scalped the lawn so badly that he was excused from lawn duties forever.  Fast forward 40 years and he’s still a manipulative asshole.

I figured out that by pushing our self-propelled mower way, way too fucking fast, I could flood the engine and make it lock up such that it was unusable for a few hours. 

I didn't mind mowing, but I minded being told to mow it on my parents' schedule rather than my own. So we often had one maniac stripe savaged across an unkempt lawn when I was in high school. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I didn't mind mowing, but I minded being told to mow it on my parents' schedule rather than my own.

That was the worst. I didn’t like mowing the yard but when I got down to doing it, it wasn’t that bad. But I hated being ordered to do it and I never received thanks or any appreciation of any kind. And when I was young enough to receive an allowance it was never more than 50 cents a week. (I guess that stopped when I got my first job at 15 which payed a whole lot better.)

For the three summers after I graduated high school, while I was still living at my mom’s place before I got my own apartment, I hired a guy who was a local grade school teacher to take up my lawn mowing chores. I had a seasonal job in a bakery. The hours were rough but the pay was good. I couldn’t be bothered with mowing the lawn.

Don’t even get me started about the hassles of having to weed my mom’s garden. 

Whoever at Bosch (and pretty much every other brand) who thought built-in microwaves should have doors that pivot down, kind of like an oven.

Ours is mounted 6" above the counter, and it's a pain in the ass to reach in to get the food, and more of a pain to reach in and clean the damn thing.

They have above-the-range microwaves that open like a regular door, but NOOOOO, built-in-ovens have to open down. I would have been okay with get a countertop microwave and put a trim kit around it, but Bosch stopped making them.

On 5/29/2022 at 3:55 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

That was the worst. I didn’t like mowing the yard but when I got down to doing it, it wasn’t that bad. But I hated being ordered to do it and I never received thanks or any appreciation of any kind. And when I was young enough to receive an allowance it was never more than 50 cents a week. (I guess that stopped when I got my first job at 15 which payed a whole lot better.)

For the three summers after I graduated high school, while I was still living at my mom’s place before I got my own apartment, I hired a guy who was a local grade school teacher to take up my lawn mowing chores. I had a seasonal job in a bakery. The hours were rough but the pay was good. I couldn’t be bothered with mowing the lawn.

Don’t even get me started about the hassles of having to weed my mom’s garden. 

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, Superhero said:

Whoever at Bosch (and pretty much every other brand) who thought built-in microwaves should have doors that pivot down, kind of like an oven.

Ours is mounted 6" above the counter, and it's a pain in the ass to reach in to get the food, and more of a pain to reach in and clean the damn thing.

They have above-the-range microwaves that open like a regular door, but NOOOOO, built-in-ovens have to open down. I would have been okay with get a countertop microwave and put a trim kit around it, but Bosch stopped making them.

We got one of them microwaves that's built into our kitchen island.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

We got one of them microwaves that's built into our kitchen island.

Yeah I've seen those and they are pretty cool. But I bet it's a pain in the ass to be kneeling down and have your arm at an awkward angle to clean the damn thing.

35 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Yeah I've seen those and they are pretty cool. But I bet it's a pain in the ass to be kneeling down and have your arm at an awkward angle to clean the damn thing.

Weird. You wife is pretty good a kneeling down with her arm at an awkward angle....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Superhero said:

Team YYYY-MM-DD

When you're searching through folders that span several years, gotta go with YYYY-MM-DD or you'll get January 2020 docs instead of the January 22 docs.

Team DDMonYY

As in 01Jun22, 07Dec41, etc.  I always spell out the month to avoid the DD/MM confusion.

51 minutes ago, nnm said:

Team DDMonYY

As in 01Jun22, 07Dec41, etc.  I always spell out the month to avoid the DD/MM confusion.

Doing a sort by file name is gonna give you shit results.

I ALWAYS use YYYY-MM-DD and make sure my team does the same. Some of my projects started in 2019 and will probably go through 2024. I need to be able to find the right folders quickly, and sorting anything that doesn't follow that date convention will just make life fucking miserable. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Doing a sort by file name is gonna give you shit results.

I ALWAYS use YYYY-MM-DD and make sure my team does the same. Some of my projects started in 2019 and will probably go through 2024. I need to be able to find the right folders quickly, and sorting anything that doesn't follow that date convention will just make life fucking miserable. 

For storing files, sure. But when it comes to my collection of live bootlegs, I label them MM/DD/YY. And in the Word doc where I keep my list (from back in my trading days), it’s MM-DD-YY for formatting. It just looks better.

To keep this on topic, I used to be very good at hand labeling first tapes and then CD’s. I lost the habit of writing by hand and my handwriting has suffered as a result. Signing my signature with my finger on a touchpad sucks. One of the drawbacks of the digital age. 

Just bought a french door wall oven for this exact reason. Drop down doors on anything that high is dumb as shit.

42 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

For storing files, sure. But when it comes to my collection of live bootlegs, I label them MM/DD/YY. And in the Word doc where I keep my list (from back in my trading days), it’s MM-DD-YY for formatting. It just looks better.

To keep this on topic, I used to be very good at hand labeling first tapes and then CD’s. I lost the habit of writing by hand and my handwriting has suffered as a result. Signing my signature with my finger on a touchpad sucks. One of the drawbacks of the digital age. 

most of the time i just draw an X.  finger or pen. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 2:49 PM, Wally Pryor said:

Local radio guys (aka Rod Babers) proclaiming themselves to be a "lifetime Longhorn". 

What the hell does that even mean? Chest thumping because your neighbor is only a "10-year Longhorn" and will move on to support another school in year 11?

Would you rather they say "former" Longhorn because that indicates they are no longer one?

Surly today because I have at least SIX partially-full spray bottles of Tilex, Tru Grit Bathroom Cleaner, etc. which I can't use because the spray pump mechanism doesn't work, leaks excessively, or just breaks off. Including two almost full bottles. Now I have a bathroom cabinet full of household haz waste that I can't use or dispose of easily.

When you put caustic chemicals in a plastic spray bottle, for fucks sake use high quality chemical-resistant materials that are appropriate for the fucking job. All the people who design and sell shitty container packaging like this should be EXECUTED and I will happily pull the trigger myself.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Surly today because I have at least SIX partially-full spray bottles of Tilex, Tru Grit Bathroom Cleaner, etc. which I can't use because the spray pump mechanism doesn't work, leaks excessively, or just breaks off. Including two almost full bottles. Now I have a bathroom cabinet full of household haz waste that I can't use or dispose of easily.

When you put caustic chemicals in a plastic spray bottle, for fucks sake use high quality chemical-resistant materials that are appropriate for the fucking job. All the people who design and sell shitty container packaging like this should be EXECUTED and I will happily pull the trigger myself.

Just dump them all into a working spray bottle. What could go wrong??? 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

You paid extra for an inconvenient design. 

No shit.

An over-the-range option costs 1/3 less than a built-in even with the extra function of being a hood.

But NOOO... a 30" over the range microwave-hood combo doesn't fit into a 30" cabinet box.

Like I said before, if Bosch had made a countertop microwave, I would have been happy to put that in with a trim kit. But they decided to discontinue those probably because the Japanese and Koreans made better ones for less.

Bosch, Wolf, GE and every other company that has these oven-type doors on their microwaves can f off.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Superhero said:

Yes I have a built-in Bosch.

Seems like most brands have gone bottom hinge as well.

image.png

image.png

image.png

I am very surprised my wife hasn't decided we need one of those.  FFS!!!

On 5/4/2022 at 8:00 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Texas gas stations are like Midwestern ones in my experience, especially in small towns (not sure if you’re in a small town or not).

Buccees and QuikTrip are about the only gas stations whose bathrooms don’t have shit smeared all over the tanks and walls. I mean seriously, people are doing that on purpose, right? There’s no physics to explain how shit gets everywhere outside of the bowl. There has to be a much higher rate of scat fiends than we might imagine.

Edited by 'stache

Furk. 2 of my precon managers quit back to back.

One guy lived pretty far away and had a brutal 3-4 hours/day commute. He got promoted against my recommendations, so I'm not exactly sorry to see him leave. 

For the other guy, we promoted him to senior today, and he literally told us 10 seconds later that he had accepted another job offer. He'll have a similar title, but it pays him substantially more money, which is important because his baby's momma doesn't work. He was really strong worker who we could trust to get everything done right. My boss is gonna take another run at him with more money, but talking to him afterwards, it seems like his mind is already set.

Got damnit!

Edited by Superhero

Another fucking thing that is pissing me off...

I tried to renew my TSA precheck on 04/01. Usually it takes 3-5 days, but could take up to 60 days. I called them today because it's been 60+ calendar days, and they said they didn't receive it until 04/20, and to check back if I haven't received it by 04/19. I have a work trip coming up on 06/12, and I won't want to take my fucking shoes off. 

For reference, my wife applied for her TSA number on the same day, and she got hers 3 days later.

Fucking DHS.

One guy lived pretty far away and had a brutal 3-4 hours/day commute. He got promoted against my recommendations, so I'm not exactly sorry to see him leave. 
For the other guy, we promoted him to senior today, and he literally told us 10 seconds later that he had accepted another job offer. He'll have a similar title, but it pays him substantially more money, which is important because his baby's momma doesn't work. He was really strong worker who we could trust to get everything done right. My boss is gonna take another run at him with more money, but talking to him afterwards, it seems like his mind is already set.
Got damnit!

Maybe offer him work from home. See how that goes.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Got damnit!

Maybe they got tired of those Seattle Team Fuckers

• Haha 1

People who try to board the plane early before their group is called. Person in group 5 tried to get in with group 2 and got put in time out.

But that’s minor compared to the morons who can’t  find their seat.

(We’re in a plane with 3 seats on both sides of the aisle). 

If you’re supposed to be in seat 12E, how the fuck did you end up in 11C? People are stupid.