Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

11 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Shocked I tell ya, just shocked. 

i'm going to make a prediction: if this continues for another 90 days, trump isn't going to make it. i'm not sure if he straight up dies, but i have a feeling his presidency ends very abruptly in some form or fashion if the economy crashes and it's clear he isn't going to win re-election.

• Like 2

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i'm going to make a prediction: if this continues for another 90 days, trump isn't going to make it. i'm not sure if he straight up dies, but i have a feeling his presidency ends very abruptly in some form or fashion if the economy crashes and it's clear he isn't going to win re-election.

No, he will push for an election delay.

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Not so much the latter, what with all the coming indictments and whatnot.

yeah he's not leaving voluntarily because his immunity disappears and all of a sudden he's got to face legal consequences. He might take one of the secret service guys sidearm and blow his brains out before he'd ever leave voluntarily

Just now, Junior Miller said:

yeah he's not leaving voluntarily because his immunity disappears and all of a sudden he's got to face legal consequences. He might take one of the secret service guys sidearm and blow his brains out before he'd ever leave voluntarily

I still think there's a chance he Warden Nortons himself.

9 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Since it's paywalled:

Spoiler

On Saturday, April 26, 1986, the No. 4 reactor at Chernobyl power station exploded just outside the town of Pripyat in the Soviet Union. During the crucial early hours of the disaster, a cascading series of mistakes exacerbated the emergency. Subordinates who feared their superiors kept quiet. Superiors who feared contradicting the prevailing mythology of the state — and its leader — bent and broke reality. They made a series of smaller lies to protect the big lie: that the Soviet Union had everything under control.

During crises, ideology kills. Protecting myths, rather than people, is deadly.

The rapidly worsening coronavirus outbreak is President Trump’s Chernobyl. By putting dangerous myths above objective facts, Trump has turned the crucial early phases of government response into a disaster. Some public health experts in government have undoubtedly kept quiet, having seen repeatedly what happens to those who publicly contradict this president. And Trump himself, along with those who surround him, has tried to construct a reality that simply does not exist.

Those lies will kill.

Two weeks ago, today, Trump tweeted that “The coronavirus is very much under control in the United States … Stock market is starting to look very good to me!” At that point, there were a small number of cases, but public health experts clearly stated that the number was likely to spike. Nonetheless, Trump accused his critics of perpetrating a “hoax” and said their concerns was overblown. He said that the number of cases — 15 at the time — would soon be “close to zero.”

Today, there are more than 500 cases. There will soon be thousands.

Yet every new infection was viewed through the prism of political self-interest. Every warning was dismissed as media hype. Crucial hours and days ticked by without the urgent action that was needed.

Early on, public health experts and front-line doctors began ringing alarm bells. Testing kits weren’t available even for high-risk cases that were showing matching symptoms to covid-19. Trump responded by meeting with Fox News media performers Diamond and Silk at the White House. “Vote red, R-E-D,” Diamond said. “Remove Every Democrat.” Trump nodded and smiled.

The stock market is crashing. Every indicator from bond markets predicts a serious recession. The death rate is climbing. And if the outbreak in Italy is any indication of what we should expect, everything is about to get much worse.

Trump played golf yesterday.

Worse, he also admitted that his thinking is at least partly influenced by trying to keep the numbers of cases low. It was an acknowledgment that the big lie — that everything is fine and Trump has it under control — was what was worth protecting.

Reactors don’t explode. Anyone who wants a test can get a test. The Soviet Union made no mistakes. The U.S. government response to the coronavirus has been “perfect.”

So far, Trump has been able to glide through crises of his own making because his base of support has often believed him over reality. When fact-checkers expose Trump’s lies, many of his supporters distrust the fact-checkers, not the liar.

But coronavirus is different. Spin won’t make dead bodies disappear. Recessions can’t be warded off with a blistering tweet in all-capital letters. You can’t blame Hillary Clinton for hospital overcrowding. The Trump playbook works when everything else is working. It falls apart when the world is falling apart.

In August 1986, after the disaster, Soviet scientists finally acknowledged that the reactor type in service at Chernobyl had a design flaw that could cause a nuclear disaster. They had been aware of it for nine years. But nothing was done.

“Who would have thought?” Trump asked during his recent visit to the Centers for Disease Control and prevention. In fact, public health experts were warning for years that this would happen. “The threat of pandemic flu is the No. 1 health security concern,” one official in the White House’s global health security unit warned early in the Trump administration. “Are we ready to respond? I fear the answer is no.” The following day, Trump shut that office in a reorganization.

With Chernobyl, as with Trump’s response to the coronavirus, efforts to protect the big lie were always doomed. It was impossible to simply lie and cover up the nuclear disaster. But that didn’t stop the Soviet Union from trying. It is impossible to pretend that people dying in increasing numbers is a “hoax” or that an inadequate supply of testing kits is part of a “perfect” government response. But that hasn’t stopped Trump from trying.

For years, it has been obvious that having as president a self-aggrandizing liar who constructs his own reality is dangerous. We’re about to find out just how deadly it can be.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I still think there's a chance he Warden Nortons himself.

Nah.  He's too much of a pussy.  

• Like 1

Cancelling the election is going to be nearly impossible, it's clearly unconstitutional and we had one in 1864. At there core, elections are run by the states.  So as long as the blue states want to vote, they get to vote.

He will obviously pardon himself as much as he can. But that won't protect him from the State of NY.

This all assumes he doesn't deploy the military to try and prevent people from voting and taking unilateral control of the country. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

If anyone was infected by the person at CPAC, when would they start showing symptoms?

Apart from the usual signs of ignorance, buffoonery and general asshattedness?  Hard to say, his regular seems to universally mask all his other equally offensive qualities.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Just for fun I'm telling everybody who asks me about this that the Coronavirus is just God punishing Americans for trump. That's why God waited until the election year to rain down his pestilence upon us for the wicked orange idol we have chosen to follow. 

God was waiting to see if the republicans would remove trump voluntarily. When they didn’t, God got pissed and sent the coronavirus to America. You would think after what happened to the Alabama crimson tide when they cheered trump at their own stadium the republicans would have learned the lesson. Nope. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Cancelling the election is going to be nearly impossible, it's clearly unconstitutional and we had one in 1864. 

1. The trump Supreme Court block laughs in your face. No need for them to even hear arguments on this one, just wasting time 

2. IMpotus is the supreme law in the land, just ask him 

Not that I care, but has there been any effort to identify the infected person from CPAC?

I feel pretty confident that there would be breathless coverage on Trumpkin Twitter and Fox News trying to "out" the exposed if the roles reversed and this happened at a Democratic convention.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tuco said:

All of Italy is on lockdown now.  

Obviously just a Democratic hoax to destroy Trump. 

we have a 10 day trip to italy planned for late april.  booked last november.

american airlines has called most every day over the past couple weeks to discuss moving our trip.  no decisions have been made, but it's a when, not if.

this morning i got an email from aa advantage offering new low prices on...wait for it...cruises.  i shit you not.

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

His entire appearance with the CDC was about him and how smart he is and how everyone is amazed at his intelligence and his grasp of the medical field. I'll never fathom how a single person finds him likeable. It's beyond politics. I'll never get how some people don't find him thoroughly repugnant in every category. 

It's not necessarily that most of them like him. They like that he makes the blue team angry. Nothing really matters to them more than making the lives of their political opponents miserable. His supporters would burn down their own house with themselves in it if Hillary Clinton were in the other room. To me that makes them more repugnant than Trump himself, he's the symptom, not the cause.  

• Like 4

Just now, Lagunamadre said:

It's not necessarily that most of them like him. They like that he makes the blue team angry. Nothing really matters to them more than making the lives of their political opponents miserable. His supporters would burn down their own house with themselves in it if Hillary Clinton were in the other room. To me that makes them more repugnant than Trump himself, he's the symptom, not the cause.  

He also gives them license to be their worst selves.  It's okay to be hateful and wave Nazi and Confederate flags again!  Hoorah for Trump!

• Like 1

The GOP is sending such mixed signals among themselves, though. Gaetz is exposing others when he may be a carrier, but Abbott cancels meetings. Is it that some pols are recognizing that their constituents are fed up and are distancing themselves for self-preservation (politically) or that some are smart enough to realize if they aren't careful they could wipe out Moscow Mitch and Dan Patrick?

5 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The GOP is sending such mixed signals among themselves, though. Gaetz is exposing others when he may be a carrier, but Abbott cancels meetings. Is it that some pols are recognizing that their constituents are fed up and are distancing themselves for self-preservation (politically) or that some are smart enough to realize if they aren't careful they could wipe out Moscow Mitch and Dan Patrick?

I think some are reading the tea leaves and realize that Gaetz-like stunts would end their career after this is all said and done.  Others (like Gaetz) are just to stupid to understand what is going on. 

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We aren't going to know how many cases there are in the US.....EVER.  The admin does not want potential cases to be tested, because if a bunch of people test positive, that number will make the admin look bad.  So, the best way to avoid that?  Just never find out how many cases there are.  I'm dead serious, when this is all said and done, the analyses are going to end up saying "US cases: XYZ,000,000 (est.)*"

"* Because widespread testing was never performed in the US, the case number is only an estimate, based on other available data."

What. A. Shitshow.

such a good point.  there was a story yesterday on cnn condemning the administration's behavior on the morning shows - airing a montage of clips showing the mixed messages coming from trump officials each muttering different statistics on confirmed cases, tests available, etc.

this was written off as "sloppy" and chalked up to lack of coordination.

so were they right?  or is the lack of coordination and mixed messaging the plan to continue the confusion and avoid being tied down to one (likely incorrect) response?  even if accidental, it's kind of a genius plan and will work like gangbusters on their 42%.

The worst of it is that absent of testing/sloppy reporting of results will make it difficult for researchers in the future. Ebola is fatal to 70% of people who contract the virus. If you want to think about something, Mr. President, think about that. One thing that we dodged a bullet on is that it was not contracted through airborne particles----yet. That yet is coming.

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Cancelling the election is going to be nearly impossible, it's clearly unconstitutional and we had one in 1864. At there core, elections are run by the states.  So as long as the blue states want to vote, they get to vote.

He will obviously pardon himself as much as he can. But that won't protect him from the State of NY.

This all assumes he doesn't deploy the military to try and prevent people from voting and taking unilateral control of the country. 

And 40% of the people will completely support that.

21 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

And 40% of the people will completely support that.

they showed poll results regarding corona earlier, and one of them was a straight approve/disapprove on trump's handling.  

i'm not gonna tell you what his approval number was, but it was higher than 40% and lower than 42%.  anyone picking up a trend here?