It's Getting Dusty

ernest_t_bass

What takes the feelz to 10?  What makes you tear up, choke up, etc.?  

1 - My children succeeding at things that are out of their comfort zone

2 - I coach... same can be said for my players as #1

3 - Sound of Music is now on the list, thanks to #1 - youngest daughter played Gretyl in school play

4 - "Go Rest High on That Mountain" - Every damn time.

• Like 1

O Holy Night during the holiday season.  Especially when that high note is hit and held.

The National Anthem.  After 21 years in uniform, it just gets deep into you.

The thought of my daughter growing up. (she's currently 7)

Related: The thought of my daughter at her wedding.

This commercial:

Edited by Buffsoldier

10 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

3 - Sound of Music is now on the list, thanks to #1 - youngest daughter played Gretyl in school play

4)  Right there with you.  Also when I hear "That Old Rugged Cross", "I'll Fly Away", and "Just a Closer Walk With Thee".  Sang those at all 4 of my Grandparents' funerals.  I cry like a baby even when we sing them during a regular church service.  Can't help it.  

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If this doesn't just reach inside you and crush you every single damned time you hear it, I don't want to know you.  I mean that.  If this doesn't reach you that way, you probably aren't someone worth knowing.

No doubt.  I watch that series once every year.  I cry every time.  

I have an 18 mo old.   Pretty much daily he does something new and err time it gets me.    Yesterday it was him out of the blue giving me a great big hug.   This morning it was him saying "bye" as I dropped him off at school.   The first time I didn't have to sneak out.

50 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If this doesn't just reach inside you and crush you every single damned time you hear it, I don't want to know you.  I mean that.  If this doesn't reach you that way, you probably aren't someone worth knowing.

Fuck you for making me get all choked up at my desk.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

C'mon, man. I'm at work, you're gonna make me look like a huge bawl-baby. 

This show makes me think of my grandfather. He died a few months before I was born, so I never got to know him or ask about his service in WW2. My dad and his brothers said he wouldn't talk about it, except with his buddies he served with. 

12 hours ago, Superhero said:

Attending the funeral of a friend who died too young, and seeing his grieving widow crying uncontrollably.

Happened today. 

Sorry to hear that Superhero. 

I, unfortunately, lived that last year. Except it wasn’t his widow, she was prepared thru the sickness. It was his little boys crying uncontrollably that broke me. 

Not much other than my girls. And it doesn’t take much with them. 

Seeing Greatness.

That's what does it to me. 

Doesn't matter whether it's a movie, a movie scene, a game, a particular performance in a game, someone killing it in/with a song, whatever.

When I see someone just completely nail it, that gets to me, because that's what I think all of us should be trying to do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Sorry to hear that Superhero. 

I, unfortunately, lived that last year. Except it wasn’t his widow, she was prepared thru the sickness. It was his little boys crying uncontrollably that broke me. 

He wasn't a close friend. We had only hung out a few times, but we always had great conversation, and he was the first to offer up his truck (and sons) to help us move.

He was only 57 years old. Died from an aortic aneurysm with no prior symptoms. I was texting his wife to thank her for inviting us over to an Easter Egg Hunt, when she told me he had passed. I was confused at first, thinking he had passed an exam for a certification. I didn't think someone who was in okay shape would die so young.

During the funeral, his wife broke down several times, and spent much of her time, stroking face, arranging flowers in his casket and holding his hand. It was heartbreaking to see her that way. His 3 sons seemed to take it better, but I'm sure they were devastated inside as well.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Damn you Brisket.  I made the mistake of watching this at work.  Luckily the classroom is empty.

My son was born in 1976, back when hospitals were sticklers for visitation rules. My FIL was battling multiple myeloma at the time and wanted to see his youngest daughter's firstborn. We managed to sneak our son past the front desk and catch the FiL on an elevator as they were transferring him from a regular room to hospice. I took a picture of the three of them together.  Less than a week later her Dad was gone. I see the picture, hanging in our hallway, just about everyday and I'm somewhat numb to it but every once in awhile It takes me by surprise and it gets dusty in here.

16 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

people who put away the laundry

My best friend of the last 30 years has a daughter that is like my own. She lost her 2 month old daughter last year at this time to SIDS. I held this child about a month after she was born. The funeral was the toughest thing I ever witnessed. Fast forward to last week, I go visit my buddy and his wife at their house (they live a few hours away) and I saw a picture in the bedroom I was staying in of this beautiful child with a caption "Always in our Heart". I lost it.

Singing Happy Birthday very subdued along with my two little grandsons (age 10 & 3) & family before we cut my DIL's birthday cake - about two hours after she had passed away in hospice care. It was the morning of her 39th birthday.

It cuts to the gut every time I think about that saddest scene in my life (like right now), and even worse when looking at the photo I took of the boys sitting forlornly by her cake.

On 4/9/2018 at 7:54 PM, Armybrat said:

Singing Happy Birthday very subdued along with my two little grandsons (age 10 & 3) & family before we cut my DIL's birthday cake - about two hours after she had passed away in hospice care. It was the morning of her 39th birthday.

It cuts to the gut every time I think about that saddest scene in my life (like right now), and even worse when looking at the photo I took of the boys sitting forlornly by her cake.

I'd have to go back and look, but I joined the old site after lurking for a long time, when this happened to offer T&Ps to your family. It may have been my first post there. I remember your story on that well. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:05 PM, Buffsoldier said:

Holy Night during the holiday season.  Especially when that high note is hit and held.

Silent Night for me.  It was my Mother's favorite song and she loved singing it in church every Christmas.  She died in 2010 and the song has wrecked me every year.  I try not to let my kids see me blubbering.  

On 4/9/2018 at 1:05 PM, MissingInAction said:

After sex.

I’ll try to be more gentle next time. 

Pretty much a blubbering wuss to just about anything these days, getting older sucks.  Movie wise, the Home video at the end of Philadelphia gets me along with the Neil Young tune.