I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

What's the consensus for the reverse sear method?  haven't tried it but looks intriguing...

salt bath for an hour, rinse and dry, season with cracked pepper

put in oven until internal temp of 125-130 (for med rare)

let rest for 10 mins

sear

profit?

What temp do i set the oven at? 

What's the consensus for the reverse sear method?  haven't tried it but looks intriguing...

salt bath for an hour, rinse and dry, season with cracked pepper

put in oven until internal temp of 125-130 (for med rare)

let rest for 10 mins

sear

profit?

What temp do i set the oven at? 

Kosher salt + coarse black pepper

Put in oven. I use a cookie sheet with a rack.

Cook until 115-120

Rest until temp starts to drop

Sear

My oven goes as low as 170. If I have time I’ll do that. If I have less time, I’ll go as high as 250. The higher temp that I cook at, the lower internal temp that I will pull the steak at. Higher oven temp means more internal temp rise during rest.

That will be $9.95.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kosher salt + coarse black pepper
Put in oven. I use a cookie sheet with a rack.
Cook until 115-120
Rest until temp starts to drop
Sear

My oven goes as low as 170. If I have time I’ll do that. If I have less time, I’ll go as high as 250. The higher temp that I cook at, the lower internal temp that I will pull the steak at. Higher oven temp means more internal temp rise during rest.

That will be $9.95.

QFT. I think the lower oven temp the better. And I rest for 10-15 min.

So a question. The grass fed beef I've had has been flavorless and lacked adequate fat. Regardless of where I've purchased it (looking at Crowd Cow now), it just isn't nearly as good as grain fed beef. Is that just a function of my preference?  I eat steak to enjoy it, not for nutritional content so if its just a matter of being healthier, then I am going grain fed. Am I missing something here because everyone markets grass-fed beef but it seems to suck compared to grain-fed.

I’m done with bone in steaks unless I sous vide them myself. They just cook really unevenly. Got one at Gibsons last night and the first part was fantastic and the rest as it got close to the bone was too tough.

In other news...friend sent me a 2.4 lb Snake River wagyu ribeye cap. Sous vide at 133 for two hours and then seared on cast iron with butter and herbs.

a99191a502130d543bda518f5bca7b86.jpg

91579cee13bc646c92e8d8381b11c082.jpg

Trimmed up:

9d82f3ebabd86e092b961e70f7114642.jpg

f8f408969b8fbc7ff1039e1710cf6864.jpg

No after pics, was inhaled. Think crust on the outside, prime rib on the inside.

• Like 8

On 7/18/2018 at 10:41 PM, Buzzrock said:

In other news...friend sent me a 2.4 lb Snake River wagyu ribeye cap.

Buzz, I haven't seen it cut like that before; only in "pinwheels" (see below).

47 minutes ago, huge said:

Where in Houston do they sell that cut?

huge, I don't know about cuts like Buzz had, but I find Prime caps "pinwheeled" at the Costco near me in DFW, so they might have them in Houston, too.  They roll out these "meat counters" where they have the specialty stuff on weekends.  Here's one I did a while back and posted to TOS.

42624390995_1910441d01_b.jpg

42624391835_d3bf62ef8a_b.jpg

29657803698_30476d27bb_b.jpg

• Like 8

On 7/16/2018 at 12:23 PM, HoustonHorn said:

So a question. The grass fed beef I've had has been flavorless and lacked adequate fat. Regardless of where I've purchased it (looking at Crowd Cow now), it just isn't nearly as good as grain fed beef. Is that just a function of my preference?  I eat steak to enjoy it, not for nutritional content so if its just a matter of being healthier, then I am going grain fed. Am I missing something here because everyone markets grass-fed beef but it seems to suck compared to grain-fed.

you aren't missing a thing.  They feed steer grain to make steaks for flavor and yield.

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

hmm, I disagree on the grass fed thing.  The grass fed I have had is fucking delicious. 

This topic can get way into the weeds.

Frankly it often isn't as simple as is the beef grain or grass fed.  Also aging, and type of grass/grain need to be defined.

7 hours ago, Dutch said:

Damn good entries, Sola. Are you reverse-searing (oven to grill) or doing the whole cook on the grill?

I, too, love the sweet kiss of flavor that charcoal & wood impart to a fine steak. 

Sear then finish with indirect heat all on the grill.

I have a BGE.  For these thick cuts, I'll get it as hot as I can, sear the steaks, put in the platesetter, and finish them with the dome closed.  This way I get a great smoky flavor.  It's what I like.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, huge said:

The one I had at Kevin Rathbun in Atlanta was disappointing but I want to agree.  Where in Houston do they sell that cut?

My experience there was disappointing too.  But it was April 2015 and my dad and I were headed to Augusta to watch Speith dominate at the Masters so it didn't bother us much. 

My experience there was disappointing too.  But it was April 2015 and my dad and I were headed to Augusta to watch Speith dominate at the Masters so it didn't bother us much. 

Haha

This was Friday after being at Augusta 2015 following Spieth and seeing 5 birdies in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...