I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

On 10/9/2018 at 10:31 PM, Sam Lin said:

On the sear, how long did you preheat your pan? From the pic the sear temp wasn't that hot and you tried to make up for it by searing longer.

Funky taste and texture, along with the coarse meat grain in your pic, point to a low quality beef.

I thought I got it as hot as I could, but maybe not.  I'd say I had the cast iron on the stove (gas Wolf) burner for 10-15 mins before I added steak.  Will try it longer next time.

I think you're right on the quality of the meat.  Will try again with better steak and hotter skillet (if possible) next time.

And if @brown water would ever get us his fucking instructions, I'll go that route.  He appears to be the sear master on here and I don't think he's using a chimney or open flame if I remember right.  Think he's using a grill pan.

On 10/10/2018 at 10:33 AM, 'stache said:

I pre-ordered this on Amazon.  Will release April 2019.  It won't be a bible like the BBQ book, but should be a fun read and give me several ideas.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/first-look-aaron-franklin-steak-cookbook/

181008_FranklinSteakBook_2.jpg

Huh...never really thought of Aaron as a steak expert.  Are we just going with "well he knows BBQ so he must know all things cooking meat" here or is there some sort of Franklin Steakhouse that I'm not aware of or what?

chimichurri is the best steak condiment. I dare you to disagree. 
Depends on the cut,  au poivre sauce on a filet is a perfect match for that cut.

I prefer blue cheese based sauce on rib eyes if I'm adding a sauce, I find it goes well with the fattier ribeye.

I love chimichurri on flat iron, flank and even skirt steaks
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2018 at 10:36 AM, Anastasis said:

Churrascos in Houston has a great steak they soak in chimichurri for about six hours before flash broiling it.  It's really good.  Tried it at home once and was not disappointed.  But, be warned that you will be an open channel of flatulence for the next twelve or so hours.  NTTAWWT.

A bit of a longcat, so I'm adding a spoiler.  I vaguely remembered BrownWater posting a couple how-to on TOS, along with the piece of cookware he uses to conjure his magic, so I pasted like five of his posts together.  But yes...a video would be most helpful.  Along with bourbon / wine paring recommendations.

Spoiler

Recommend [judging from the pic he posted, it's thisCuisinart C130-23 9 1/4" enameled grill pan.] Heavy cast iron to take high heat. Oven safe so can transfer from stove to oven. Unlike cast iron can be cleaned with soap. Low maintenance and great results. 

Can find online for $40. Bought mine at tj maxx for $20. Worth every penny.

Grape seed oil also has a higher smoke point and neutral taste. But yeah it's going to get a bit smokey searing steaks inside. The benefit of high smoke point is also that the oil/fat won't burn and add that burnt flavor to whatever you're cooking.

As for the pan - you do want it very hot. But every set up is different so it may not be as high as yours can go.

I think the stove and oven process really has two distinct parts. No $#@! right...

On the stove all youre trying to accomplish is the sear. So I generally err on the side of being too hot. And I flip the steak twice. In part for the grill marks. But more importantly to see how the char is coming and adjust accordingly. Also, rocking the pan back and forth a couple times lets the rendered fat and oil help with the searing process. Always pat the steak dry or wrap in paper towels immediately before seasoning and cooking. The water that may be near the surface will steam and produce that grayish finish instead of a dark char. I don't time this. It's generally a couple minutes or so before flipping but the test is visual not time. 

Last point on the stove top, because you're cooking so quickly, over high heat and in a open pan the process does almost nothing to the internal temperature of the meat. Especially with thicker cuts. 

That's why I say there are two distinct parts. 

The second is cooking to temp in the oven which is completely a function of personal preference for doneness, the thickness and cut being cooked and the oven your using. You can use a meat thermometer or less scientific methods. But in a 350 degree oven you aren't searing anymore. The only caveat I have is that a grill pan is helpful here so that the steak doesn't sit in its juice and lose some of the sear from the stove. 

These steps can be so separate that I've charred steaks well before large dinners and finished them later in the oven using a cooling rack set inside a oven sheet. Takes a bit longer to bring to temp but the results are virtually identical. 

And always rest 5 minutes under a loose foil tent before cutting / serving.
This is still what I do. Moved recently so my last dinner was outside on a gas grill and transferring from a burner (stove/sear) to the grill (oven). Otherwise same process except that I've found better results switching from a pan to a cooking rack when transferring to oven. The pan carries over heat so you can end up cooking faster than expected. Key either way is to get the meat out of the rendered liquid or you'll undo the char that's been developed. 

And what really helps the sear develop is the grill pan and rocking it back and forth to let the oil and fat fry the surface.

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I thought I got it as hot as I could, but maybe not.  I'd say I had the cast iron on the stove (gas Wolf) burner for 10-15 mins before I added steak.  Will try it longer next time.

I think you're right on the quality of the meat.  Will try again with better steak and hotter skillet (if possible) next time.

And if @brown water would ever get us his fucking instructions, I'll go that route.  He appears to be the sear master on here and I don't think he's using a chimney or open flame if I remember right.  Think he's using a grill pan.

Busy couple weeks.  Sorry guys.  When things slow down I'll try to get a video.  

Short version.  

Yes a grill pan. As hot as you can get it - preferably outside unless you like a smoky house.  Then grape seed oil in the pan - it should be slightly smoking.  Steak in.  Rock the pan a couple times so the hot oil also sears the steak.  Flip and repeat.  I often do several short sears on each side rather than one or two longer flips.  

Also if I've got the time I'll rest  the steak between flips  a few minutes on the oven tray (with a cooling rack inside) that I'll use once transfered to the oven.  This allows both the steak to stop cooking and the pan to regain whatever temperature was lost while the meat was in it.  

I'll also add more oil so there is always enough to be charring the bottom while searing.  You know things are on track when you flip the steak and it looks like coffee foam on the side being cooked.  

Hope this helps.  Cheers.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dutch said:

A bit of a longcat, so I'm adding a spoiler.  I vaguely remembered BrownWater posting a couple how-to on TOS, along with the piece of cookware he uses to conjure his magic, so I pasted like five of his posts together.  But yes...a video would be most helpful.  Along with bourbon / wine paring recommendations.

Hide contents

Recommend [judging from the pic he posted, it's thisCuisinart C130-23 9 1/4" enameled grill pan.] Heavy cast iron to take high heat. Oven safe so can transfer from stove to oven. Unlike cast iron can be cleaned with soap. Low maintenance and great results. 

Can find online for $40. Bought mine at tj maxx for $20. Worth every penny.

Grape seed oil also has a higher smoke point and neutral taste. But yeah it's going to get a bit smokey searing steaks inside. The benefit of high smoke point is also that the oil/fat won't burn and add that burnt flavor to whatever you're cooking.

As for the pan - you do want it very hot. But every set up is different so it may not be as high as yours can go.

I think the stove and oven process really has two distinct parts. No $#@! right...

On the stove all youre trying to accomplish is the sear. So I generally err on the side of being too hot. And I flip the steak twice. In part for the grill marks. But more importantly to see how the char is coming and adjust accordingly. Also, rocking the pan back and forth a couple times lets the rendered fat and oil help with the searing process. Always pat the steak dry or wrap in paper towels immediately before seasoning and cooking. The water that may be near the surface will steam and produce that grayish finish instead of a dark char. I don't time this. It's generally a couple minutes or so before flipping but the test is visual not time. 

Last point on the stove top, because you're cooking so quickly, over high heat and in a open pan the process does almost nothing to the internal temperature of the meat. Especially with thicker cuts. 

That's why I say there are two distinct parts. 

The second is cooking to temp in the oven which is completely a function of personal preference for doneness, the thickness and cut being cooked and the oven your using. You can use a meat thermometer or less scientific methods. But in a 350 degree oven you aren't searing anymore. The only caveat I have is that a grill pan is helpful here so that the steak doesn't sit in its juice and lose some of the sear from the stove. 

These steps can be so separate that I've charred steaks well before large dinners and finished them later in the oven using a cooling rack set inside a oven sheet. Takes a bit longer to bring to temp but the results are virtually identical. 

And always rest 5 minutes under a loose foil tent before cutting / serving.
This is still what I do. Moved recently so my last dinner was outside on a gas grill and transferring from a burner (stove/sear) to the grill (oven). Otherwise same process except that I've found better results switching from a pan to a cooking rack when transferring to oven. The pan carries over heat so you can end up cooking faster than expected. Key either way is to get the meat out of the rendered liquid or you'll undo the char that's been developed. 

And what really helps the sear develop is the grill pan and rocking it back and forth to let the oil and fat fry the surface.

That's essentially it with a few updates from subsequent experience.  

Now flip more than 2x and try to allow some rest off the heat between flipping.  Allows you to more closely watch the char develop and to minimize internal cooking

Also look for a coffee like foam on the charred side but if you're doing the above and flipping regularly you can just stop when it fits your eye   

Substitute an oven tray with a cooling rack set inside for the grill pan when transferring to the oven. Cooks more evenly since there won't be any carryover heat from the grill pan (but that update is in one of the posts @Dutch pieced together. 

• Like 2

As for drinks I'm not too selective on whiskey or wine.  But I will offer what I think is the definitive manhattan recipe after years of experiments.  

1.5 oz stagg jr 

2 dashes bitters*

STIR in ice 30 seconds to slightly dilute the cask strength bourbon

1.5 oz dolins sweet vermouth**

STIR another 30 seconds 

Strain into an up glass 

optional garnish with luxardo cherry and orange peel (preferably flamed) 

Result is a very flavorful but more full-bodied manhattan   Still boozy but not overkill from the high proof bourbon

* bitters are the only ingredient where I think substitutions work.  Should be aromatic bitters but brand can change (angostura, peychauds...)

**understand carpano and cocchi both are generally more highly regarded.  But upping the ratio to 1:1 in this version makes those choices overpowering.  My heb sells the dolins in a small bottle so it should stay fresh in the rotation.  

Edited by brown water
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Huh...never really thought of Aaron as a steak expert.  Are we just going with "well he knows BBQ so he must know all things cooking meat" here or is there some sort of Franklin Steakhouse that I'm not aware of or what?

More along lines of first book sold well, publisher wants another. 

As for drinks I'm not too selective on whiskey or wine.  But I will offer what I think is the definitive manhattan recipe after years of experiments.  
1.5 oz stagg jr 
2 dashes bitters*
STIR in ice 30 seconds to slightly dilute the cask strength bourbon
1.5 oz dolins sweet vermouth**
STIR another 30 seconds 
Strain into an up glass 
optional garnish with luxardo cherry and orange peel (preferably flamed) 
Result is a very flavorful but more full-bodied manhattan   Still boozy but not overkill from the high proof bourbon
* bitters are the only ingredient where I think substitutions work.  Should be aromatic bitters but brand can change (angostura, peychauds...)
**understand carpano and cocchi both are generally more highly regarded.  But upping the ratio to 1:1 in this version makes those choices overpowering.  My heb sells the dolins in a small bottle so it should stay fresh in the rotation.  

Try Perruchi. You’re welcome.

On 10/10/2018 at 11:36 AM, Anastasis said:

13 hours ago, Smax said:

Depends on the cut,  au poivre sauce on a filet is a perfect match for that cut.

I prefer blue cheese based sauce on rib eyes if I'm adding a sauce, I find it goes well with the fattier ribeye.

I love chimichurri on flat iron, flank and even skirt steaks

EOrQZp.jpg

• Like 1

Another reverse sear on prime strip 1.2 lb close to inch half thick.

The meat after a little trim and rub. 200 degree oven until 126 internal.

63eaebf61744f4c0c1d48d4585a8e854.jpg

600 degree cast iron

fad3e239f80f1e1fb276097fee258678.jpg

Finished product with creamer spinach (sautéed with heavy cream and garlic and shallots and finished with bread crumbs and grated Parm Reg.

864672c4f768f40dd8d9df92930e7c06.png

Sorry for the lack of proper money shot but I had to start shoveling.

Second best steak I ever cooked.

• Like 1

Tomorrow, I will be cooking almost 10 filets for my parent's birthdays and I'm trying to figure out the best methodology to use.  I want to sear them in a cast iron and then use the small amount of drippings that are left over to make a merlot sauce that will accompany the steaks and potatoes.  I was thinking about seasoning the steaks, pulling them out of the fridge (cold) and searing them all earlier in the day, followed by refrigeration.  As food time approaches, I'll pull the steaks out,  bring to room temp,, and then pop them in an oven to finish at desired temp (M. Rare, except for SIL who is an unwashed heathen that takes it well done).  Has anyone used this method or should I just cook them all (in batches) to order and forgot the sauce?

1 hour ago, Spur08 said:

Tomorrow, I will be cooking almost 10 filets for my parent's birthdays and I'm trying to figure out the best methodology to use.  I want to sear them in a cast iron and then use the small amount of drippings that are left over to make a merlot sauce that will accompany the steaks and potatoes.  I was thinking about seasoning the steaks, pulling them out of the fridge (cold) and searing them all earlier in the day, followed by refrigeration.  As food time approaches, I'll pull the steaks out,  bring to room temp,, and then pop them in an oven to finish at desired temp (M. Rare, except for SIL who is an unwashed heathen that takes it well done).  Has anyone used this method or should I just cook them all (in batches) to order and forgot the sauce?

The reverse sear is how I deal with cooking steaks for a diverse audience (including "unwashed heathens".)  You bring all of them to almost rare in the oven, then finish them with the required level of cast iron sear to complete the requested level of "done."  I'd skip the merlot sauce, but that's just me -- you should have plenty of pan drippings if you want to roll that way.

Here's one of many internet references out there on reverse sear:  https://jesspryles.com/recipe/how-to-cook-a-steak-with-reverse-sear-method/

No lie. Friend of mine who has ownership in a high end restaurant swears that it’s near impossible cook a filet well done consistently. So whenever they get an unwashed heathen who orders one, they cook it medium with a seared outside and throw it in the microwave for 90-120 seconds to cook it from the inside out without completely drying it out. After they switched to this method, no one bitched about their well done filet, while he laughs all the way to the bank not giving two shits he just nuked your $65 steak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

No lie. Friend of mine who has ownership in a high end restaurant swears that it’s near impossible cook a filet well done consistently. So whenever they get an unwashed heathen who orders one, they cook it medium with a seared outside and throw it in the microwave for 90-120 seconds to cook it from the inside out without completely drying it out. After they switched to this method, no one bitched about their well done filet, while he laughs all the way to the bank not giving two shits he just nuked your $65 steak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I cooked my way through college and this is the only way to do it unless you order some on the thinner side and save them for the well doners.

We would flip over a metal to go pan on top of the poor thing when in the grill to try and even it out, then 2 minutes in the microwave. No one complained, but if that's how you like your meat, you probably couldn't tell it was in the first place.
  • Like 1

This game blows so I'll update. I forgot to get a post cook picture of mine but managed a mid eating shot of my dads. I flat out forgot to pepper the steaks before they went into the oven and the pepper didn't really stick for the sear. So it was definitely underseasoned pepperwise.

Overall, I thought it tasted the exact same and my normal method with ribeyes. b3a4d90f089400eacdd4c6548b0cf1bd.jpg7f13a6a978bfce992e1854b23534eba6.jpg

• Like 1

It's probably discussed up the thread, but does anyone reverse sear method, but sear just on a grill?   I'm planning to do that tomorrow and wondered any tips/learnings.  Plan is to salt/pepper and then cook in 250 degree oven for 20 minutes (my ribeye) and 30 minutes (her tenderloin) then heat lump charcoal to lava level and throw em on for 30-45 seconds per side.  

On 11/3/2018 at 5:25 PM, ohchaucer said:

It's probably discussed up the thread, but does anyone reverse sear method, but sear just on a grill?   I'm planning to do that tomorrow and wondered any tips/learnings.  Plan is to salt/pepper and then cook in 250 degree oven for 20 minutes (my ribeye) and 30 minutes (her tenderloin) then heat lump charcoal to lava level and throw em on for 30-45 seconds per side.  

You got a probe on a wire thermometer ? I would go by temp, not time. I like your sear idea, but don't be afraid to put a cast iron pan directly on the charcoal and sear on it.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 3:25 PM, ohchaucer said:

Works just fine but you won't get the same overall crust as in a cast iron sitting on the coals. I've even put the steak directly on the coals before. Highest heat will be that lump in a chimney and throw the grate on top. 

And don't worry about time. Use a thermometer. Get it to 115 or 120 then sear. 

Or, wait for brown water to finally publish the dead sea scrolls of the sear. 

• Like 2