Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Huh?  I maintain what I said the whole time.  When the first study came out and when this one came out.  It may help with severity or length of illness...may being the key word.  It's no fucking magic drug.  I don't give a shit what this study or the prior one says.  I've personally seen it used hundreds of times and have eyes.  Where have I ever waffled on that stance? 

Easy, was just curious.  Appreciate what you're doing.  

Just now, babysdaddy said:

Easy, was just curious.  Appreciate what you're doing.  

Thanks, I definitely see things changing and try not to make any crazy claims.  But I have no problem being called out if I'm being inconsistent.  I will say I wear two hats here on Surly...one is a doc trying to provide real time clinical perspective and 'best practices' on how we can manage all this BS.  And another is a guy invested in the economy and who typically spends very little time at home...get me the hell out as soon as we can.  The two positions don't always jive because I really want to start enjoying life again, but here we are.  Nobody hopes this gloom and doom shit is wrong more than I do.  If we miss a Chicago summer, it's gonna fuck with me for a good long time...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Thanks, I definitely see things changing and try not to make any crazy claims.  But I have no problem being called out if I'm being inconsistent.  I will say I wear two hats here on Surly...one is a doc trying to provide real time clinical perspective and 'best practices' on how we can manage all this BS.  And another is a guy invested in the economy and who typically spends very little time at home...get me the hell out as soon as we can.  The two positions don't always jive because I really want to start enjoying life again, but here we are.  Nobody hopes this gloom and doom shit is wrong more than I do.  If we miss a Chicago summer, it's gonna fuk with me for a good long time...

you forgot the 3rd hat doc. I'll give you a clue... it looks eerily like a bag of dicks.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

You think about it, Red Shirt had to be one of the best Star Trek acting gigs. You memorize few if any lines, you walk around some, you fade out when they zap you, and boom, paid the rent on your cheap 1960s California garage apartment. Then you're in the system for future work in Time Portal, Land of the Giants, or hell, let em smear more make-up on you and be a Klingon.

Fast forward, you're old, you're broke, you want to go to your estranged daughter's wedding in Florida because, hell, you gotta do SOMETHING right in this life, right? Google sci-fi conventions, oh, there's one right there in Orlando that weekend. They pay your ticket, you jet in, put on an XXL red tshirt, lie about shenanigans on the set to a bunch of slobbering fans, hit the hotel bar with a person dressed as Eowyn for when they do a walrus version of LOTR, charge it all to your room, and you remember-- just in time-- wedding! So Walrus Eowyn pours you into her PT Cruiser, larps some Richard Petty, and you show up at the Salem Church of Christ just in time to puke free Laphroaig all over the blood-red carpet as your daughter cries. Well maybe it's your daughter, not like you'd recognize her voice.

Ah, Red Shirts.

Bravo! GIF by Reactions | Gfycat

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Foosters said:

For those still playing the game, 211 people in California died from seasonal influenza between October - February.

Texas DSHS posts flu data as ILI & pneumonia and from 9/30 - 1/21 we had 1,844 during that period, December being the worst

To use the shark analogy from Jaws the 1/1000 in your model assumes that the shark is as likely to eat one swimmer as another. In terms of CV19 it has been proven fairly consistently that the virus "eats" those that are fat or old at dramatically different rates than the younger and/or fitter.

Yes, but in this case the shark is a landshark and can attach itself to a healthy host, hide, and be carried inland for up to 14 days. So if you keep the beaches open, people who chose not to visit Amity can still be served up as smorgasbord. The landshark can then replicate and continue to kill people until it has infected 70-90% of the population.

We want to hire Quint to kill the shark, listen to his directions and that of the rich college kid. Do not randomly do shit, justify, and rationalize to keep the beaches open. You want your stores open? Pay the man his money and listen to smart people.

3 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

after they dropped the bomb.

The Hiroshima bahm.

COVID's got black eyes---like a doll's eyes.

At this rate, in a matter of under 10 years, COVID's gonna be in shitty 3-D.

Edited by dcbc

23 minutes ago, Hate said:

The nursing home where my Grandpa is had a parade today. The got all of the residents our in the parking lot and let the families drive by. My 99 year old Grandpa seemed to enjoy it. At least it was a beautiful day today.

6fdc56795d84c17278ec4e6a5c619fb9.jpg

Yes, that is a Members Only jacket and yes, at 99, he probably is the only member.

Like a Boss.  Love it.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Huh?  I maintain what I said the whole time.  When the first study came out and when this one came out.  It may help with severity or length of illness...may being the key word.  It's no fucking magic drug.  I don't give a shit what this study or the prior one says.  I've personally seen it used hundreds of times and have eyes.  Where have I ever waffled on that stance? 

Something smells fishy with this.  Dunno though.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/23/data-on-gileads-remdesivir-released-by-accident-show-no-benefit-for-coronavirus-patients/

Just now, SizzleChest said:

Really both 'studies' released smell fishy.  One had 100% efficacy and the other had it pegged as total ass.  Doesn't take a genius to peg reality somewhere in the middle. 

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I have read stories of people in India and Mexico attacking doctors in the streets because they stupidly believe they are spreading the virus. 

I want to thank the old gods and the new that I live in this country. 

Both countries media have a penchant for stretching the truth.  Hell, you could read about Chupacabras and some equivalent in India in 'legit' newspapers of both countries up until fairly recently.  I put legit in quotes because these rags aren't seen like the National Enquirer in those parts...

And no CR, but our news is less fake than theirs...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Have you ever been to the United States?

Yep. But ultimately there are a lot of folks who are not in those categories that shouldn't be forced into unemployment/poverty because someone couldn't lay off cupcakes (being facetious obviously but it is an interesting challenge to solve)

The nursing home where my Grandpa is had a parade today. The got all of the residents out in the parking lot and let the families drive by. My 99 year old Grandpa seemed to enjoy it. At least it was a beautiful day today.

6fdc56795d84c17278ec4e6a5c619fb9.jpg

Yes, that is a Members Only jacket and yes, at 99, he probably is the only member.

I have a good idea what his wallet looks like
  • Like 6

45 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Seems like I'm not seeing US, Italy etc... daily deaths or death totals. Are people getting bored with the dying or trying to change the narrative or are they still reporting all of this and I've just become blind to it?

You can find them in several places.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

and others

6 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

You think about it, Red Shirt had to be one of the best Star Trek acting gigs. You memorize few if any lines, you walk around some, you fade out when they zap you, and boom, paid the rent on your cheap 1960s California garage apartment. Then you're in the system for future work in Time Portal, Land of the Giants, or hell, let em smear more make-up on you and be a Klingon.

Fast forward, you're old, you're broke, you want to go to your estranged daughter's wedding in Florida because, hell, you gotta do SOMETHING right in this life, right? Google sci-fi conventions, oh, there's one right there in Orlando that weekend. They pay your ticket, you jet in, put on an XXL red tshirt, lie about shenanigans on the set to a bunch of slobbering fans, hit the hotel bar with a person dressed as Eowyn for when they do a walrus version of LOTR, charge it all to your room, and you remember-- just in time-- wedding! So Walrus Eowyn pours you into her PT Cruiser, larps some Richard Petty, and you show up at the Salem Church of Christ just in time to puke free Laphroaig all over the blood-red carpet as your daughter cries. Well maybe it's your daughter, not like you'd recognize her voice.

Ah, Red Shirts.

That’s oddly specific.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

The Hiroshima bahm.

COVID's got black eyes---like a doll's eyes.

At this rate, in a matter of under 10 years, COVID's gonna be in shitty 3-D.

Just hope and pray that when they drop the bomb, they drop it on the Wuhan fog 

So it’s a lag time obviously but can’t we go ahead and compare average expected deaths per month with actual? I recall seeing that with NYC numbers not long ago. Looking back to March should show something and then April numbers will include social distancing so it should tell us a lot, no?

Maybe mid month is a better cutoff so by mid-May we should have a huge snapshot.

i don’t really trust any of the numbers right now due to testing issues but I would trust that. 

Edited by justhookit

36 minutes ago, LABEVO said:

That actually wasnt the question they asked. If stay at home were lifted (tomorrow) (next week) (next month) would be more interesting but still wouldn’t tell us much since all of the info we have to go on is evolving rapidly. A month ago most places were barely into stay at home orders.

12 hours ago, NaTeWHO said:

So, let's do some math.

NY state population 19,450,000
NY state antibodies 13.9%
NY state infected 2,703,550
NY state deaths 15,302
Mortality rate .57%

I’ll do more math. Triple it since there is no reason to think this is going away over the next year and 42% of NY gets this. I mean why not and why would the spread stop? 45,000 die just in NY. Care to extrapolate to the entire US population? Napkin math but that looks like close to 800,000 to me.

to be clear I don’t think we go there, but I still don’t see how those numbers look “good”.

ive had a few beers and I am sure someone will correct me.

This site is awesome for data/graph lovers:

Click here to see an interesting testing data comparison, then click to add countries or take them off.  Most importantly scroll down to see the numerous data sets you can easily manipulate with just a few clicks.  WARNING:  it is infectious/nopun.  Just spent about an hour clicking all through the different charts/graphs/data-sets.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-19-tests-rolling-3-day-average?country=TUR+USA+United States%2C specimens tested (CDC)+RUS+ITA+Italy%2C people tested+CAN+FRA+IRN+CHE+United Kingdom%2C tests performed+GBR+KOR

The link is long because it has all the choices in it for the testing data.  The basic link is here(scroll for data heaven):

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/total-covid-deaths-per-million

and here:

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

This site is awesome for data/graph lovers:

Click here to see an interesting testing data comparison, then click to add countries or take them off.  Most importantly scroll down to see the numerous data sets you can easily manipulate with just a few clicks.  WARNING:  it is infectious/nopun.  Just spent about an hour clicking all through the different charts/graphs/data-sets.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-19-tests-rolling-3-day-average?country=TUR+USA+United States%2C specimens tested (CDC)+RUS+ITA+Italy%2C people tested+CAN+FRA+IRN+CHE+United Kingdom%2C tests performed+GBR+KOR

The link is long because it has all the choices in it for the testing data.  The basic link is here(scroll for data heaven):

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/total-covid-deaths-per-million

and here:

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

What's the curve looking like these days? I recall seeing a projection for daily deaths in the US that had us peaking at ~2K around the 10th-13th of April and then gradually tapering off. I think that was with SiP protocols in place. Was that projection accurate on the taper? Also, we hit 50K dead total US this week, is that right? That's first wave with SiP if I'm following along, 50K due to COVID in essentially 2 full months. And government officials are ready to start tying to open up some areas? Seems a bit risky to me, like that 50K number could jump right back up in a hurry if those currently/actively infected think it's safe to socialize again. 

Eh, whatever. I've been isolated since March 9th and working from home is the new norm. Y'all go kill each other, just stay off my lawn.

8 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

What's the curve looking like these days? I recall seeing a projection for daily deaths in the US that had us peaking at ~2K around the 10th-13th of April and then gradually tapering off. I think that was with SiP protocols in place. Was that projection accurate on the taper? Also, we hit 50K dead total US this week, is that right? That's first wave with SiP if I'm following along, 50K due to COVID in essentially 2 full months. And government officials are ready to start tying to open up some areas? Seems a bit risky to me, like that 50K number could jump right back up in a hurry if those currently/actively infected think it's safe to socialize again. 

Eh, whatever. I've been isolated since March 9th and working from home is the new norm. Y'all go kill each other, just stay off my lawn.

EWUtf7vXkAACZgs?format=jpg&name=4096x409

59 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

What's the curve looking like these days? I recall seeing a projection for daily deaths in the US that had us peaking at ~2K around the 10th-13th of April and then gradually tapering off. I think that was with SiP protocols in place. Was that projection accurate on the taper? Also, we hit 50K dead total US this week, is that right? 

According to worldometer and 1point3acres, we hit it yesterday.

32 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

I love that China is still on that graph.

We have so much to learn from them. They really did a great job in managing this crisis. Fantastic leadership by them to flatten the curve and bring deaths/infections to zero so quickly.

help my account has been hacked by the ccp

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

LOL China f you

51 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

I love that China is still on that graph.

If you look at that graph and the big take away is Fuck China!  You might want to get away from what ever media you've been consuming.  Just a thought.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

We have so much to learn from them. They really did a great job in managing this crisis. Fantastic leadership by them to flatten the curve and bring deaths/infections to zero so quickly.

help my account has been hacked by the ccp

They are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. They forge their spirits in the tradition of their ancestors. They have our gratitude.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Loco said:

If you look at that graph and the big take away is Fuck China!  You might want to get away from what ever media you've been consuming.  Just a thought.

You love to lean way over the “no politics” line in this thread. Go hang out in CR if your MO is to reply to others with snarks supporting China, being nothing but negative about the US response, advocating extended indefinite unemployment, etc. I thought this was the thread for news and facts on COVID, not people who are just here to advocate for their team?

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

You love to lean way over the “no politics” line in this thread. Go hang out in CR if your MO is to reply to others with snarks supporting China, being nothing but negative about the US response, advocating extended indefinite unemployment, etc. I thought this was the thread for news and facts on COVID, not people who are just here to advocate for their team?

Go ahead and quote 1 post where I have been "supporting China"  Good fucking luck because there aren't any.

Quote a "lean way over the "no politics line"   I'll wait.

If it's not political to say "Fuck China" how is it political to point out that while the Chinese Government is full of shit and culpable in their own way, unless you are planing to move there, we have bigger problems at home.   It's like polishing the anchor on the titanic, sure it needed to be done, but there might be more urgent things requiring your focus.

It's not that hard to understand.... well for most people

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away