Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

14 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I never said we should spend $50 billion. That seems like a lot, although I don't think entirely unreasonable. But discussing spending more isn't bad, which is all I've really said. And I haven't ignored the difference between private or government spending, I just don't find it particularly relevant to answer the question of whether testing is something we should want to allocate more resources to generally. I see it has a two part discussion: (1) should we spend more, and then if yes (2) how do we do that (e.g., private vs public funds). Talking about (1) isn't bad and doesn't deserve the intense emotional reaction seen by those in this thread. 

Literally no one here has ever shat on the idea of allocating more resources to testing, novel disease preparedness, improving supply chain and home grown manufacturing and resource availability. Every one who has reacted to you has reacted to the tone deaf, absurd way you’ve attempted to lay forth your arguments. And as you attempt to Explain yourself, you just basically just casually wave your hand and say “we should do that.” Which is why I’ve mocked you. You might as well be in the middle of a french famine and giggling “let them eat cake.” But you know, I’m not sure why anyone would even be fucking questioning Marie Antionette’s comments. It’s absurd. Of course the hungry people should be able to eat cake. Everyone should have cake! Clearly those peasants are just being overly emotional. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Loco said:

Today I found a Kenwood head unit new in box with receipt (circa 2015)  I think this was from the old Landcruiser...  but who knows?!

Oh man, Kenwood and Land Cruiser. That takes me back.

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

meaningful, huh? from the guy who posted this gem when i tried to point a month ago the tsunami headed his way:

i mean, how fucking insane do you have to be to believe that the construction industry is somehow impervious to a massive downturn in the economy?

the entire point of this back and forth y'all are having keeps getting missed. do we as a society believe that a healthcare industry almost entirely driven by profit is what is best for us. i don't know about y'all, but i've watched my costs skyrocket to keep myself and my family healthy in normal times and now i'm watching THE GREATEST HEALTHCARE SYSTEM IN THE WORLD fall flat on its face. as some have pointed out, there is no incentive in a for-profit healthcare system to plan for the un-plannable. hospitals are run like hotels, occupancy rates trump all else. who does that benefit? not me, i'm paying out the nose for healthcare and if myself or one of my family members got Covid-19 we wouldn't even be able to get a test where i live.

maybe we should re-think this thing and decide what's a priority to us.

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

the entire point of this back and forth y'all are having keeps getting missed. do we as a society believe that a healthcare industry almost entirely driven by profit is what is best for us. i don't know about y'all, but i've watched my costs skyrocket to keep myself and my family healthy in normal times and now i'm watching THE GREATEST HEALTHCARE SYSTEM IN THE WORLD fall flat on its face. as some have pointed out, there is no incentive in a for-profit healthcare system to plan for the un-plannable. hospitals are run like hotels, occupancy rates trump all else. who does that benefit? not me, i'm paying out the nose for healthcare and if myself or one of my family members got Covid-19 we wouldn't even be able to get a test where i live.

Having a "non-profit" healthcare industry wouldn't have changed anything about the amount of tests we had available for a disease that didn't exist. Are you implying that we want the Government to takeover all means of healthcare? Hospitals? Supply chains? 

Just drove down 1st Street along the Hike and Bike trail. A lot of people out today, very few wearing facial covering. Downtown streets have noticeably more people out and about as compared to the past month, as well, many not wearing any facial coverings. Good job, Austin. Nice day out and everyone is like, "Fuck it!"

Just now, Deej said:

Just drove down 1st Street along the Hike and Bike trail. A lot of people out today, very few wearing facial covering. Downtown streets have noticeably more people out and about as compared to the past month, as well, many not wearing any facial coverings. Good job, Austin. Nice day out and everyone is like, "Fuck it!"

Ball game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Anyone at the playgrounds around town? Just asking for some people in Idaho. 

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’m honestly wondering what the benefit of continuing to flatten the curve is? Where will the bottleneck in our medical community occur if we open the gates? 

This is our concern, dude. 

Agree, getting frustrated with Illinois governor because I think at some level they are moving the goalposts. The curve has been flattened big time. Never got close to capacity on ICU beds here from what I can tell. 

Thats a great thing, but you cant start changing criteria because of some vague concern that we are all gonna die or this shut down will go for another year. Cant and won't happen. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

(Denver)

Yesterday I went to Target, King Soopers, Ace Hardware, UPS and USPS.  (I only get to go run errands once every 2 weeks)

Mostly everyone in face coverings and/or gloves.  King Soopers, Target and USPS workers had masks and gloves and Target was wiping down the self checkout after each employee.  King Soopers had a guy sanitizing carts and baskets outside before they were brought inside the store.  UPS and Ace employees - gloves, no facial coverings.  UPS - only 2 people allowed in store at a time. 

Now, as driving by Sloan's Lake - lots of people.  Mostly spread out - walking dogs, jogging, walking.  Not many masks. 

Within/around my apartment complex - mostly spread out walking dogs or running.  Some masks, some not (probably depends how long the dog walk is).  Weirdo Berkley couple in my building who go running without masks but refuse to be in the elevator with anyone else for all of 12 seconds.  

• Like 1

Just now, bullzak said:

This is our concern, dude. 

Agree, getting frustrated with Illinois governor because I think at some level they are moving the goalposts. The curve has been flattened big time. Never got close to capacity on ICU beds here from what I can tell. 

Thats a great thing, but you cant start changing criteria because of some vague concern that we are all gonna die or this shut down will go for another year. Cant and won't happen. 

The olds and people with really bad comorbidities need to stay inside and we need to be as militant as possible with assisted living places.  Everyone else(not in NY/NJ) needs to get back to work asap. wash hands, use a mask, restaurants/bars lower occupancy(raise prices, people will still go).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Having a "non-profit" healthcare industry wouldn't have changed anything about the amount of tests we had available for a disease that didn't exist. Are you implying that we want the Government to takeover all means of healthcare? Hospitals? Supply chains? 

ChiTownDoc needs to be making a little bit more than High School Science teacher but with a sweet pension awaiting him.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Deej said:

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

(Denver)

Yesterday I went to Target, King Soopers, Ace Hardware, UPS and USPS.  (I only get to go run errands once every 2 weeks)

Mostly everyone in face coverings and/or gloves.  King Soopers, Target and USPS workers had masks and gloves and Target was wiping down the self checkout after each employee.  King Soopers had a guy sanitizing carts and baskets outside before they were brought inside the store.  UPS and Ace employees - gloves, no facial coverings.  UPS - only 2 people allowed in store at a time. 

Now, as driving by Sloan's Lake - lots of people.  Mostly spread out - walking dogs, jogging, walking.  Not many masks. 

Within/around my apartment complex - mostly spread out walking dogs or running.  Some masks, some not (probably depends how long the dog walk is).  Weirdo Berkley couple in my building who go running without masks but refuse to be in the elevator with anyone else for all of 12 seconds.  

Per my understanding of the orders/protocol most everywhere, you don't need to wear a mask when walking/exercising outside, so long as you maintain social distance?  I mean, very few people in my hood wear them when out on evening walks, but everyone gets a wide berth when passing by.  Those same folks are really good about wearing masks at Walgreens and Randalls and whatnot.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

(Denver)

Sloan’s has been pretty bad this entire time unfortunately as the density of people makes it tough to maintain 6 ft. From someone in the Highlands, the vast majority of people have been doing a good job, even along the River trail, but you get the occasional morons who are playing basketball, throwing a football, or disregarding the tape and doing pull-ups. Traffic seems like it’s increasing though as it’s taken me a bit longer to get to Bonfire from the middle of March to now. 

Cant really complain all that much though as Polis has done a good job. Surprised there isn’t a mandatory order to use face coverings here yet though Hancock could easily do that. 

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Even if starting up new, if you've seen a bottling or canning line run you can appreciate the decades of engineering and design improvements that it took to reach the levels they are at now.

In Armybrat’s lifetime, he went from loose condoms made from the intestines of peasants, to the intestines of pigs, to form-fitting exotic materials that pleasure everybody involved.   

• Like 1

Furk

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/health/coronavirus-ventilator-patients-die/index.html

Nearly all coronavirus patients who needed ventilators in New York's largest health system to help them breathe died, a study found.

Overall, about 20% of Covid-19 patients treated at Northwell Health died, and 88% of those placed on ventilators died, according to the study. A ventilator is a device that forces air into the lungs of patients who cannot breathe on their own because of severe pneumonia or acute respiratory distress syndrome.

Other, smaller reports have indicated that patients who need ventilation are unlikely to survive.

Hospitals

Just 12% of the patients in the study needed ventilators, Dr. Safiya Richardson at the Feinstein Institutes for Medical Research, Northwell Health, and colleagues found.

But this study, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, shows how dire the outlook is for patients with severe Covid-19 disease.

The team looked at the electronic health records of 5,700 patients with coronavirus disease hospitalized at Northwell Health. Final outcomes were known for 2,634 of them.

The records support what doctors have been saying about the coronavirus: most people who become severely ill have some sort of so-called underlying condition. More than half, or 57%, had high blood pressure, 41% were obese and 34% had diabetes.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Again, just stay the fuck home unless you are really needed. I for one am welcoming the hair gods of decades past. If it gets out of control going with the Screaming Eagle look of June 05, 1994. 

• Like 2

Just now, Lurch said:

Pretty much. Vaccine is the end game and that takes a year+

Fine. At least they are reopening golf courses. If I'm going to die, I'm going to damn well be sure that there are shit ton of double bogies made before I'm on my death bed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Consistent with the numbers we were seeing from the rest of the world in early march. If its bad enough to place u on a vent, chances are u arent coming off

I wonder how this ties into something I read the other day, about how your oxygen levels can be WAY low before you are in respiratory distress, and your unconscious effort to get more oxygen causes your lungs to get damaged even further -- so, the recommendation was that you check your oxygen levels with an oxymeter, and if they start to get low enough, you get treatment via oxygen supplementation, which can keep you from needing a ventilator.

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

And Remdesivir flops on first real trial.  I called that about 200 pages ago.  No magic drug, people.  Period. 

Well fuck.  Not fucking good if we have absolutely no bridge to vaccine. And if vax for whatever reason is challenging, fuck everything. 

That leak from Chicago last week was just bullshit market manipulation, huh.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

meaningful, huh? from the guy who posted this gem when i tried to point a month ago the tsunami headed his way:

i mean, how fucking insane do you have to be to believe that the construction industry is somehow impervious to a massive downturn in the economy?

I never said it was impervious to an economic melt down. I said it's strong, as is real estate, and as long as they are things will get better faster.  Run along  now the CR cesspool is opened back up for the children's swim session..

1 hour ago, Loco said:

Same but cleaning out the garage....  and therefore all the little projects that I got the stuff for, but never actually did.  It's a .... lot. 

On the upside I find strange and wonderful stuff.  Today I found a Kenwood head unit new in box with receipt (circa 2015)  I think this was from the old Landcruiser...  but who knows?!

Yep cleaning baseboards, clearing out closets........  2 or 3 years of Pinewood entries

FullSizeRender-162.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Well fuck.  Not fucking good if we have absolutely no bridge to vaccine. And if vax for whatever reason is challenging, fuck everything. 

That leak from Chicago last week was just bullshit market manipulation, huh.

Indeed.  Vaccine is coming but not in 2020.  There will be some meds that help with severity and duration of illness but every doc I know who's actually treating saw that initial report that came out and shook their heads.  Something ridiculous like 100% of patients got better.  LOL

56 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

SIAP.  Convenience sample of 3k people at grocery stores across state of NY reveal 14% of subjects had COVID antibodies.

Forget the outlet, and probably already posted, but CA antibody tests are 50X larger than anticipated.  We're seeing this in many other markets - giving the impression this has been here much longer than originally anticipated, is much less lethal than first thought, has a significant number of asymptomatic carriers, and hunkering everyone down is actually doing very little to stop the spread of a virus that was circulating unchecked for months and months.

It's anecdotal, but so many people I know and work with reported nasty symptoms around the Holidays that tested negative for the flu.  Subsequent antibody tests are going to be very, very interesting.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away