Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Ana or anyone - what is causing the immune response to platelet factor 4 in the J&J vaccine? Do we know why some heparin patients develop the same/similar syndrome?

Hey, I’m anyone!

Its likely due to the immune system making antibodies against the viral vector for these vaccines (AZ and J&J) and then those antibodies cross react to platelet factor 4 and cause platelet activation (resulting in clots - not sure why the predisposition to clots in unusual locations like cerebral sinuses) and platelet aggregation resulting in thrombocytopenia.  I would treat the same as a patient with HIT (heparin induced thrombocytopenia) since the mechanism of disease seems the same.   I’d use an alternative anticoagulant like argatroban initially then transition to warfarin or maybe DOAC like Eliquis.  But what the hell do I know?  I’m just spitballing here

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heme Doc said:

Hey, I’m anyone!

Its likely due to the immune system making antibodies against the viral vector for these vaccines (AZ and J&J) and then those antibodies cross react to platelet factor 4 and cause platelet activation (resulting in clots - not sure why the predisposition to clots in unusual locations like cerebral sinuses) and platelet aggregation resulting in thrombocytopenia.  I would treat the same as a patient with HIT (heparin induced thrombocytopenia) since the mechanism of disease seems the same.   I’d use an alternative anticoagulant like argatroban initially then transition to warfarin or maybe DOAC like Eliquis.  But what the hell do I know?  I’m just spitballing here

But where do you stand on poo flinging monkeys? Or Measles vectors? FAFO?

Well NFL  released memo today requiring vaccine for Tier 1 and 2 employees, I'm guessing Tier 1 is players?

It actually explicitly excludes players, but covers pretty much everyone else they’d come into direct contact with. The league and Union have ahead stated they won’t mandate vaccines for players. I do wonder if they’ll dangle a lack of COVID protocols for vaccinated players as an incentive.

This is some friendly fire if I ever seen it.

https://keyt.com/health/2021/04/13/cops-say-asian-man-attacked-asian-woman-thinking-she-was-white/

IRVINE, California (KCAL KCBS) — A Lake Forest man faces a hate crime charge after allegedly kidnapping an Asian woman, believing she was white, with the intent to sexually assault her.

Michael Sangbong Rhee, 37, was arrested Thursday night at his home in Lake Forest. Irvine police say Rhee may have attacked a woman, believing she was white, in retaliation for the rise in hate crimes against Asian people.

Irvine police say an Asian woman was sitting in the driver’s seat of her car near her apartment Thursday afternoon when she looked up to see Rhee standing at the door, holding a handgun. She told police she did not recognize Rhee, who ordered her to get into the back of her car if she wanted to live.

The woman said she offered Rhee her wallet and money, and he replied they would “do that later,” before getting into her car through the passenger side door and pushed her into the backseat, according to police. She struggled with Rhee, who she told police began to grope her, then yelled to a maintenance worker nearby that he had a gun.

Police say Rhee got out of the car and ran through the apartment community, driving away in his own car. Surveillance cameras captured his license plate as he drove away, according to police.

A search of Rhee’s home turned up the vehicle linking him to the assault and a BB gun similar to the weapon described by the woman, Irvine police said.

39 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

https://keyt.com/health/2021/04/13/cops-say-asian-man-attacked-asian-woman-thinking-she-was-white/

IRVINE, California (KCAL KCBS) — A Lake Forest man faces a hate crime charge after allegedly kidnapping an Asian woman, believing she was white, with the intent to sexually assault her.

Michael Sangbong Rhee, 37, was arrested Thursday night at his home in Lake Forest. Irvine police say Rhee may have attacked a woman, believing she was white, in retaliation for the rise in hate crimes against Asian people.

Irvine police say an Asian woman was sitting in the driver’s seat of her car near her apartment Thursday afternoon when she looked up to see Rhee standing at the door, holding a handgun. She told police she did not recognize Rhee, who ordered her to get into the back of her car if she wanted to live.

The woman said she offered Rhee her wallet and money, and he replied they would “do that later,” before getting into her car through the passenger side door and pushed her into the backseat, according to police. She struggled with Rhee, who she told police began to grope her, then yelled to a maintenance worker nearby that he had a gun.

Police say Rhee got out of the car and ran through the apartment community, driving away in his own car. Surveillance cameras captured his license plate as he drove away, according to police.

A search of Rhee’s home turned up the vehicle linking him to the assault and a BB gun similar to the weapon described by the woman, Irvine police said.

NM

Edited by Rockwell Torrey

45 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Was he hoping to give her the Kung Flu?

• Fuck You 1

On 4/13/2021 at 4:27 PM, TexasGrunt said:

Well NFL  released memo today requiring vaccine for Tier 1 and 2 employees, I'm guessing Tier 1 is players?

We're about to see employers start to fire employees who refuse to get the vaccine without legitimate medical or religious exemptions.

I fully imagine Abbott will attempt some action to prevent firings but that would seem to run head-on to employer rights in Texas. I wonder if he can create exceptions for employees.

54 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We're about to see employers start to fire employees who refuse to get the vaccine without legitimate medical or religious exemptions.

No way. The employment process is a pain in the ass. You hang on to the ones you have.

"We are about to see employers dump shitty employees that they have been looking to get rid of" might be a better take.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Variants going elbow deep on India right now.  No fucking bueno. 

India’s 4X the pop, 10x the density, 150,000,000 less tests performed than us..I’ve always been pretty sceptic on how they’ve “skated by” being 3rd in cases for the majority of the pandemic

Either way...their worldometer graph is pretty crazy considering a month ago they were at 25K a day...supposedly

I speak with a good friend in Kenya everyday. The amount of COVID there is ridiculous but there is really no testing so no way to check their numbers. 

Now add to it that the third world is basically getting the SinoVac and the questions about how effective it really is and this shit is going to burn in the developing world for a long time. 

WiShWeWeReMoReLiKeEuRoPe!!!!11!!1!!!

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/vaccines/us-states#race-to-vaccine-us

WORLD COUNTRIES

FRANCE