Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

41 minutes ago, Somnio said:

I wont post a link because its from a "fake news" site which is a guilty pleasure of mine, but this guy "sounds" like he knows what he's talking about.

If correct, the world is going to change, and much quicker than anyone could ever expect.

The next few days should be telling.

Eh there isn't anything interesting or compelling if this is characterized as "an event we need to keep our eye on but isn't likely to be catastrophic"....people who talk like that get no clicks.  

Sushihorn always sounds like he knows what he is talking about....just saying.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Soooooo...I'm not going to take the word of a blue check, the supposed paper hasn't been peer reviewed, and of course any phony can twitter troll some panic.  But I'll just leave this here

whether peer reviewed or not here's their conclusion:

"Taken together, our findings suggest unconventional evolution of 2019-nCoV that warrants further investigation."

Duh.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jan/24/virus-hit-wuhan-has-two-laboratories-linked-chines/

And how did this malign fiesta get underway?

search on "wuhan corona snakes bats".

Bats hang out near biowarfare sites.

Snakes eat bats.

Chinese eat snakes.

Live snakes.

Let's review:

DON'T EAT BATS.

DON'T EAT SNAKES.

DON'T EAT LIVE SNAKES.

DON'T EAT LIVE SNAKES THAT HAVE EATEN BATS.

Now, let's extend.

STOP EATING WILDLIFE.

KILL YOUR FOOD.

COOK YOUR FOOD.

DON'T EAT WILDLIFE.

THAT INCLUDES SNAKES AND BATS.

3 hours ago, Somnio said:

I think the gist is that many are downplaying its significance because the death rate isnt absurdly high.

But it appears more contagious, and much more serious than the flu.  And the huge numbers of hospitalizations, even if they recover are going to overwhelm our health care system.

I'm with you on this one.  I think life is going to fundamentally change over the next year.  Eventually,  it will get back to normal,  but it's going to be a bumpy ride.  I think we'd probably do a little better than the Chinese, but what happens when this spreads in Pakistan or Bangladesh or one of the other shithole countries?  Some governments are probably going to fail.

22 minutes ago, Colonel Sanders said:

I'm with you on this one.  I think life is going to fundamentally change over the next year.  Eventually,  it will get back to normal,  but it's going to be a bumpy ride.  I think we'd probably do a little better than the Chinese, but what happens when this spreads in Pakistan or Bangladesh or one of the other shithole countries?  Some governments are probably going to fail.

Refugee Camps....... Or Dubai. 

37 minutes ago, Colonel Sanders said:

Nuke 'em from orbit?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

whether peer reviewed or not here's their conclusion:

"Taken together, our findings suggest unconventional evolution of 2019-nCoV that warrants further investigation."

Duh.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jan/24/virus-hit-wuhan-has-two-laboratories-linked-chines/

And how did this malign fiesta get underway?

search on "wuhan corona snakes bats".

Bats hang out near biowarfare sites.

Snakes eat bats.

Chinese eat snakes.

Live snakes.

Let's review:

DON'T EAT BATS.

DON'T EAT SNAKES.

DON'T EAT LIVE SNAKES.

DON'T EAT LIVE SNAKES THAT HAVE EATEN BATS.

Now, let's extend.

STOP EATING WILDLIFE.

KILL YOUR FOOD.

COOK YOUR FOOD.

DON'T EAT WILDLIFE.

THAT INCLUDES SNAKES AND BATS.

samuel l jackson tbh GIFsamuel l jackson tbh GIF

1 hour ago, Colonel Sanders said:

Hopefully no governments collapse and nukes get loose.  

60% of confirmed cases in Hubei province.  But 96% of the confirmed deaths are from there.   Obviously the stats are going to be slightly skewed - apparently it was a lot of old fuckers directly working in the bat soup market, but it’s interesting.   Of course, that province saw 1,300+ new cases yesterday.   Again, everything goes back to the testing and how much is happening.  

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

As an SA resident, it’s heartwarming to see lackland on that list. Is there something special about those bases? I don’t understand why they wouldn’t pick bases in remote areas of the country. 

The AF base and Air Station have large hangers (lots of room for quarantine) and are right there in California.  

Fort Carson and Lackland have training facilities (barracks, chow halls, etc.) that can easily house thousands for lengthy periods of time   

Not surprising at all.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

One of the biggest problems of this is that nobody believes the numbers that the CPC is putting out.  

Agreed, but at this point do they even care if they report a new case or a death?  I doubt they're even trying to hide shit anymore,  it's probably just easier to take a body to the morgue and cremate it, that go through whatever extra steps it takes to test and report. 

2 hours ago, Colonel Sanders said:

My girlfriend has the flu and one of my short-time girlfriends has it too, and now I have a scratchy throat so I have been thinking about this. Angeles has around 100 bars with 20 to 200 girls and Manila is similar. The place is full of Chinese and Korean tourists, but also Americans, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, Indians, Bangladeshies, Arabs from various countries, Japanese, Malaysians, Brits, and from everywhere else in Europe.

The girls can be packed onto a stage 10 to 50 at a time and often live together in big dorms. Maybe half of them have sex with a tourist on any given night. So, if it hits here, and it may already be here, then it is going everywhere. That is not to mention that some guys go back and forth to Thailand and Pattaya has at least 4 times the number of sex workers. If it hits Pattaya it definitely will go everywhere.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The AF base and Air Station have large hangers (lots of room for quarantine) and are right there in California.  

Fort Carson and Lackland have training facilities (barracks, chow halls, etc.) that can easily house thousands for lengthy periods of time   

Not surprising at all.  

Did not see your post, but add to it Brooks Army Med and the SF 18D program at Fort Sam. 

Or just toss em in the riverwalk. That water will kill everything. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

BAMC is almost entirely across town from lackland. Also more known for burn treatment than infectious disease.

Short distance, especially when you have helicopters. and BAMC is so much more than burns. It is a Massive medical facility that can be locked down. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7955573/American-Airlines-removes-passenger-wearing-GAS-MASK-panicked-fliers.html

Passenger wearing a GAS MASK because 'of coronavirus fears' is removed from an American Airlines flight from Dallas to Houston when he refuses to take it off

Man wearing gas mask boarded American Airlines flight in Dallas on Thursday

Flight 2212 was scheduled to take off in the evening for Houston 

But passengers grew alarmed at sight of the man, who also wore black beanie 

One passenger says flight crew demanded he remove the mask, but he refused

Crew then notified security and the man then left the aircraft

American Airlines said he was rebooked on another flight to Houston

Flight 2212 eventually took off after 50-minute delay and landed in Houston 

...'Just FYI flight 2212 to Houston was delayed an hour because you let this guy on the plane wearing a gas mask,' Joseph Say wrote on Twitter in a tweet directed at the airline as well as news media outlets...

'He didn't have a filter, which I thought was more strange. Immediately, people start talking in the back of the plane. They were worried.

'Most people wanted him off the plane.'

Say said passengers wanted to know why the unidentified person was wearing a gas mask.

A flight attendant then came over to the man and asked him to remove the gas mask, but he refused, according to Say.

After the flight crew called security, the man left the aircraft.

'What we heard from the lady sitting next to him was he said he wanted to make a statement,' Say said.

'I don't know what the statement was. I'm not sure what his goals were. To me, it seemed inconsistent.'

Dude was flying from Los Angeles to Houston.  Fondren?

24170386-7955573-image-a-19_158057241730

Edited by clapclapclap

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Short distance, especially when you have helicopters. and BAMC is so much more than burns. It is a Massive medical facility that can be locked down. 

Well BAMC is on Fort Sam so I doubt any corona quarantinees ever make their way there, since Fort Sam wasn’t a mentioned base. Also don’t know that I’d call it massive, you can see the whole thing from 35 and it doesn’t look that big. I’ve never been in there though, maybe there’s underground levels.

Not really related to the topic, like at all, but one time I had this coworker who was kind of a passive-aggressive asshole, lived in another state, and came to Texas to visit a couple of places in San Antonio, one of them Randolph AFB. He went around calling it “Fort Randolph”, and who was I to correct him?

• 14,551 cases, 
  • 14,380 cases in China, 171 cases outside of China
  • 304 dead.   Still all China. 

Still tracking about the same percentage-wise as far as increases,, although they seemed to have upped their testing by a few hundred (or more), or they are slowly clearing their backlog.  

Still wish they’d release how many tests they are processing a day, so everybody can see how few they are doing.  

2 hours ago, RayDog said:

My girlfriend has the flu and one of my short-time girlfriends has it too, and now I have a scratchy throat so I have been thinking about this. Angeles has around 100 bars with 20 to 200 girls and Manila is similar. The place is full of Chinese and Korean tourists, but also Americans, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, Indians, Bangladeshies, Arabs from various countries, Japanese, Malaysians, Brits, and from everywhere else in Europe.

The girls can be packed onto a stage 10 to 50 at a time and often live together in big dorms. Maybe half of them have sex with a tourist on any given night. So, if it hits here, and it may already be here, then it is going everywhere. That is not to mention that some guys go back and forth to Thailand and Pattaya has at least 4 times the number of sex workers. If it hits Pattaya it definitely will go everywhere.

What’s it like to fuck a ladyboy?   Asking for a friend.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:
  • 14,551 cases, 
  • 14,380 cases in China, 171 cases outside of China
  • 304 dead.   Still all China. 

Still tracking about the same percentage-wise as far as increases,, although they seemed to have upped their testing by a few hundred (or more), or they are slowly clearing their backlog.  

Still wish they’d release how many tests they are processing a day, so everybody can see how few they are doing.  

BNO reports: 14,380  cases, 304  deaths,  2,110 serious,  328 recovered  and 19,544 suspected. I assume the 19,544 suspected cases are in addition to the 14,380 known cases. So I guess there are about 33,924 cases overall. 

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So 294 deaths in Hubei.   Odd that it’s so damned deadly there, but not much elsewhere, even with thousands of cases elsewhere.  

Well, you know the reason.There are a lot more cases in Wuhan than are being reported. Plus, from anecdotal evidence, it appears that symptoms are mild for 8 days or so and then the person gets pneumonia. This means that if people are traveling, they have mild cases and it will take awhile before they become severe or critical. And travelers are generally wealthier, healthier and younger than the general population so they have better outcomes.

One thing that is interesting to me is how long the virus persists. Maybe, it is because the virus is novel so our immune systems aren't able to defend as well. Nonetheless, the flu lasts for maybe 10 days while this thing seems to last 3 weeks or so.

Edited by Bevo

24 minutes ago, Bevo said:

BNO reports: 14,380  cases, 304  deaths,  2,110 serious,  328 recovered  and 19,544 suspected. I assume the 19,544 suspected cases are in addition to the 14,380 known cases. So I guess there are about 33,924 cases overall. 

One of the sites, don’t know if it’s BNO, claimed they were tracking 100,000+ as potential contacts a few days ago.  I imagine that number has gone way up.  

Edit: today was the first day that recovered (328) passed deaths.   Recovered should go way up as people pass their second test after two weeks of no issues.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

Seems like this is tracking along an exponential curve to date, so linear thinking will mislead. Unless this suddenly curtails I can’t see how this won’t be very disruptive to the global economy (read: us equities). This has me worried, it isn’t when does this start being a real threat here, it’s when do people start freaking out about it being a perceived real threat here, the latter will come much more abruptly and sooner than the former

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

As an SA resident, it’s heartwarming to see lackland on that list. Is there something special about those bases? I don’t understand why they wouldn’t pick bases in remote areas of the country. 

It's off highway 90, that is remote. Just kidding, that area has exploded and it's a little concerning tohave a location so ch close.

7 minutes ago, F250 said:

It's off highway 90, that is remote. Just kidding, that area has exploded and it's a little concerning tohave a location so ch close.

I always thought it was a shame that’s our ugliest part of town. Not the most dangerous, but definitely the ugliest imo. Lots of Air Force recruits from all of the country come to train at lackland and that’s the only part of SA they see. 

36 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Seems like this is tracking along an exponential curve to date, so linear thinking will mislead. Unless this suddenly curtails I can’t see how this won’t be very disruptive to the global economy (read: us equities). This has me worried, it isn’t when does this start being a real threat here, it’s when do people start freaking out about it being a perceived real threat here, the latter will come much more abruptly and sooner than the former

Yeah, I’m not worried about the virus or mortality rate. The mass panic scares me. The financial market to supply chain. People are nuts. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away